marrying the kirpan?

evon123 thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
i read on the sony summary that geet is going to marrying the kirpan..i was just wondering wut does it mean and how does it wrk?  
Edited by evon123 - 15 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ssandhya1237 thumbnail
Engager 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail + 3
hey,
in sikh culture, if the bridegroom is not present, or like unable to come, then the bride can marry the kirpan (like a knife which sikh's usually carry with them). 
this is usually done when the bridegrrom is out of country and cannot come.  so family members of the bridegroom come and get their daughter in law married to a kirpan...which is considered equal to marriage with the bridegroom. 
hope this helps...usually i am very bad at explaining things!!!

ssandhya1237 thumbnail
another thing...so the bride actually holds the kirpan in her hands and all the ceremonies of actual marrige are conducted....
*Kanika* thumbnail
Thankss a lot for the information
simran1285 thumbnail
I am sikh and I did not know this, will have to ask my mom regarding this 😕

this has to be something new, because even in the Guru ji's times they married like they do today where the groom and bride walk 4 times around the granth sahib. I have read the granth sahib (most of it) and I don't remember reading anything about this, plus now a days they are really strict about marriages like a few years ago you could get married in a hotel hall or your home with the granth sahib present but today you must must must go to a gurduwara to get married!😳
Edited by simran1285 - 15 years ago
LeadOxide thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I dont know much about it
xnyzjattix thumbnail
yea simran1285 is rite becuase in the granth sahib ji book i dnt think dere is sumthin of sumthin regarding sumone maryying a kirpan because im also sikh and as far as i noe we dnt realli do dat yea nd u were allowed to get married in ur own home but not no more now u have to get marrried in  a gurdwara.
ssandhya1237 thumbnail
oh i am sorry if i gave the wrong information....😔 never ment to do that. if this doesnt happen that way...then i would also love to know what marrying to a kirpan would mean.  i might not be a sikh..but i have lived in punjab for most of my life...and i seriously dont rememeber how on the earth i know what marrying a kirpan is....
ssandhya1237 thumbnail
ok...back again.  so i asked my mom about this. and she said that whatever i wrote earlier is right. infact one of her friends got married that way!!! 
evon123 thumbnail
oh, k..thx 😊    so geet's gonna get married this way? i wonder who it is gonna b