*DOTW*: Models underweight!

modishh thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Welcome to this Week's
Discussion Of the week!

Lately, it has been and in news that most models being hired are underweight in other words "Anorexic". Many have said these have negative impact on young teenager and others as well. So share ur views abt this topic.

Are you influenced by a models weight ?

Do you feel its a good idea to hire models who are underweight?

What should be done to bring this injustice to an end? (If you a lil thick, companies dont hire you)

Thanks for Participating!

Edited by modishh - 15 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

pragatis_1234 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: modishh

Welcome to this Week's
Discussion Of the week!

Lately, it has been and in news that most models being hired are underweight in other words "Anorexic". Many have said these have negative impact on young teenager and others as well. So share ur views abt this topic.

no,because is not bout the weight its bout how healthy you are so  i just try to eat healthy and no that i am healthy rather than not eatin anythin and lookin anorexic
no, i dont think its a good idea because these days more and more young women r being influenced by dat and its not a good thing
What should be done to bring this injustice to an end? (If you a lil thick, companies dont hire you) first of all, the industry needs to realize dat when models model in clothes they r not only tryin 2 make ppl buy those clothes but at the same time sendin a negative message sayin "anorexic is healthy" and since the public is seeing this i think dat ppl of all sizes should be models because they r suppose 2 representin everyone and showing dat its not bad 2 be a lil thick or chubby cause there are women of all shapes and sizes!!!

Thanks for Participating!

Jess. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

no not really, i know that not everyone can be that skinny AND healthy...

hellll noo! its totally stupid! people out in the world are getting the wrong message! we dont want young girls starving themselves to be model skinny and then end up getting sick and getting a eating disorder or something! if our next and present generation is going to think like this then what would be of  our future generations? probably extinct or something. ! ...also a bad message to the boys because then they will be influenced that all girls should be skinny and not anything other than that)

What should be done to bring this injustice to an end? (If you a lil thick, companies dont hire you)

they should hire more models that arent underweight...not like obese or anything...but average girls with average height...we dont want totally overweight girls either because that will also send out a bad message to young girls because they will think it is alright to be unhealthy...we should just have average girls! different heights, different races, different weights, small to big...not obese because once they realize being obese is good then they arent going to try to be healthy...i know this from personal experience because my cousin is like overweight and she just would be like i dont care about being healthy its ok...not like im gonna get a heart attack or anything...so then she'll pig out cuz she is trying to prove a point...but thats not solving anything...just making it worse!

Edited by Angad luver#1 - 15 years ago
wonkyfaint thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
To be honest, I think I am more influenced by actors/actresses (small-screen and big-screen) rather than the skinny models. And I think there are many more people who care much more how their fav actors look like/dress like instead of the models. That being said, I think it DOES put the fashion industry in a negative light that only skinny women are hired for modelling. Also, some models, despite of being skinny, are healthy. So, definitely health comes first.

Definitely not, the oppurtunities should be equal for all women. But its also a subjective thing in the sense that some people get more infleunced by skinny models than others. I guess as long as a person knows that health comes first, it wont pose a porblem. I know, easier said than done.
This is a tough one. There have been many campaigns for getting more full-figured women join modelling. Even many designers have increased awareness in these matters. But, as with any protest or awareness-raising issue, the "big powers" have to agree. So, this means that established brands/designers in the fashion industry have to comply with this.
sonam_s thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

I am never influenced by a person's weight regardless if she is an actor or a model! Confidence resides in me.

Designers and modelling agencies should not stop hiring models who are underweight because that will mean, they will be out of work. Instead they should encourage them to put on more weight to ensure that they look the best.

Awareness on this issue should be spoken about publicly which will help young girls, aspiring models and current models to be aware that looking your best does not mean starving. It means healthy eating and being fit.