RFAK Vs Shankar Mahadevan Vs Sonu

Anuradha thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
There have been many comparisons in the section.. But here is a comparison between the best three male playback singers of today... Well, this is just my personal choice of comparison..

Each one of them have their own specialty.. Rahet Fateh Ali Khan is best when it comes to sufi, though he can be heard singing every genre songs.. While Shankar and Sonu are equally talented... To me, Shankar and RFAK have a divine voice while Sonu has the talent of modulating his voice for various genres and heroes..

Who do you think is the best among these three?? I know its tough, its tough for me to choose also.. But please do put in your views 😊

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

arjav thumbnail
Rahat fateh ali khan is definately the most qualified and proffesionaly trained singer among the three, his original and divine voice seperates him from singers like shankar mahadevan and sonu nigam. While shankar and sonu are constantly praised for their immense versitality, their voice allows them to sing a variety of songs. So these three cannot be compared, and it is almost impossible to choose the best among the three because they are all equally talented in their own ways.
Ophelia thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
RFAK ji is the best among the 3. Though he is categorized as a well known Sufi singer. His songs like Mann Ki Lagan, Naino have made a greater impression on me than all of Sonu and Shankerji's songs combined. The fact that  he is also able to compose brilliantly is just icing on the cake and it shows how well acquainted he is with all aspects of music. Yes Shankaji also composes but RFAK ji has the edge in composition as well.

Brilliant topic worth discussing 😊

Edited by Megha25 - 15 years ago
*king* thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
well the choices given is very difficult. all three r gr8 in their own way n wud b unfair 2 choose one. but if the king HAS to choose one then the king's take is tht shankar mahadevan is more verstile among the three. since most of u only listen 2 bollywood songs u wud not have an idea abt his south songs which the king has. here is a small example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0YXSL6Hwyw&feature=related

this song is one of shankar's best. it wud b difficult 2 even read the lyrics but he has sung it almost breathless. especially the last part of the song is amazing. shankar also has gud classical knowledge like RFAK. sum1 said RFAK is a more better composer than shankar which the king strongly disagrees. sonu is one of the gifts 2 indian music industry no doubt. even he has sung wonderful songs in bollywood n south. but shankar has an edge over him.
Edited by *king* - 15 years ago
arayq2 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
"Best" is relative to context, most of the time.  For example, suppose someone gave me the choice among tickets to three concerts on the same day.  Which one would I pick?   My personal answer: Rahat. 

But that wouldn't -- and doesn't -- make him "best" in any sense meaningful for discussion.

Best for playback?  Here too, there is an element of vagueness often overlooked.  Playback in general, or Bollywood playback?  For Bollywood movies, where stereotyped heroes rule the roost, the songs will correspondingly be stereotyped and demand an appropriate "voice".  The choice is clear: Sonu.  This is his niche, and he is excellent at it.

However, Sonu ranks least among the three in classical taiyyari, which, like it or not, is an indispensable element of the Indian part of any ostensibly Indian music.  Thus, for playback in general, the nod would go to Shankar, who has a "mainstream" voice like Sonu.

Rahat is technically the most proficient singer, but the naturally high pitch of his voice puts him into a separate niche. Of the three, he is the least dependent on Bollywood, and that's a good thing.

Aaliya-Rafa thumbnail

You have mentioned two of my faves, Rahat and Sonu. I am a very big fan of Rahat. his voice is very soulful, touches the soul. So I guess my vote would go to Rahat 😳

jncblr thumbnail
All three are good in their own genres. But if I have to vote it would be :
Shankar
Sonu
Rahat
Rahat has a very unique voice. One that is one of a kind. And I really looked forward to his music and he was such a true artist. So I really value his contributions in music. But I would say Shankar is the most versatile in his voice and he composes many different types of music if we like say compare the music in Bunty aur Babli to Rock On. I like them both in different ways so it would be hard to choose. Whose singing I appreciate most would be Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, but the most versatile would be Shankar Mahadevan.
rock&roll thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
        I personally hv a soft corner for Sonu Nigam and his singing..So my vote wld go for him first and foremost,.....Not to say that the RFAK and SM are any less..they are equally good..
      RFAK has an area of specialization in which he excels..That area(Sufi) is something which has caught the fancy of youngsters today........So that factor has worked well for him 😃..But he is  master in his field,so hats off to him for that...

I personally do not think SM has adivine voice..he has a gud voice,but voice is not his plus point .....he sings very well and is classically trained..his murkiyan are very gud with a lot of strength.....he excels in songs with a slight classical touch though he can sings other songs with almost equal ease....

Sonu is by far the most versatile of the three......He can sing a huge variety of songs and is best suited for bollywood...this is not to say that he is a better singer than the others...it is just that he is best suited for bollywood.....He puts in a lot of soul into every song which is his USP...sad,happy,romantic,fun...whatever be the mood ...he lives it..he doesn't add unnecessary murkiyan where not reqd.....but yet adds the reqd touch......the small harkats he gives are fantastic.....

I think each one of them is fantastic 👏👏👏
Bananamilkshake thumbnail
1.rahet and shankar
2.sonu