Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ar78655 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Return of the inheritor

Whilst playing Angad in Balaji's Kaisa Yeh Pyaar Hai, Iqbal Khan's popularity cut across female fans of all generations—from 16 to 60. But the quiet actor of Kashmiri origins took a long pause after his marriage to longtime love Sneha Chhabra, vowing to work only within 'decent hours' after his return.

While he was gradually making an impact as air-force officer Abhimanyu Adhikari in Choona Hai Aasman, it didn't take tellyland's King Khan long to relinquish the show. "I believe you should deliver what you promise—otherwise the basis on which you signed the show is proved wrong," is all that he says when quizzed about his quitting.

What he prefers to discuss rather is his new show Waris (Zee) produced by Smriti Iraani. "It looks big, is promising and different," Iqbal states. Ask him whether his character Shankar in the show is based on Abhishek Bachchan's in Ram Gopal Varma's Sarkar and Iqbal disagrees. "The show is loosely based on the novel The Godfather. One can't copy a three-hour film. That would only cover four episodes," he reasons.

In times when 'more the merrier' is the mantra that tube stars swear by, Iqbal has been consistently choosy about his roles. "If you are playing the main character, you are already working 20 days a month. Where does it leave time for more roles? As regards doing reality shows, I am not saying no but right now I am not interested in them. I am a private person," he says.

How does he find Smriti as a proudcer? "Her shows are not the regular ones. They are not driven by kitchen politics," he answers adding, "Even when I was with Balaji, I was not doing a family soap-I did a love story (referring to Kaisa Yeh Pyaar Hai)." Would he return to the Balaji fold? "I am open to anything which is good and requires normal hours of working," he declares. It's been more than a year since Iqbal got married. The only twist in life in his words now is, "I've to get back home at a decent hour. Life's not only about me now. Sneha is a part of it."

ar78655 thumbnail
Back in action

Iqbal Khan, who quit Chhoona Hai Aasmaan before it went off-air, is now doing Waaris. He talks about his new serial, controversies and reality shows What is your new serial all about?
Waaris is all about a family, how they live together despite a lot of problems. It is a family show and I am sure everyone can sit together and watch it. It's different from the usual saas-bahu dramas. Also the story is realistic and not larger than life.
What is your character in the serial?
I play Shankar and am married to Shilpa Shinde. He is a guy who loves his wife and is a very family-oriented man. The only hitch is that his father is an underworld don and this being a family business he is also involved in it. I am not playing a negative character as Shankar is a good guy. However, he has an anger problem so when he gets angry, he just picks up the gun and fires!
How is it working with your co- star Shilpa Shinde?
Oh, Shilpa is really sweet to work with and also a good actress. In fact, everyone in the show is really good. Even the production house is very professional and the vibe on the sets is very positive. I am having a great time working here.
What went wrong with Chhoona Hai Aasmaan?
That was one show from which I had great expectations . But the channel hardly promoted the show and that put me off. Without even promoting the show we managed to bring in the TRP's and the channel guys without informing us very conveniently changed the time-slot. To top it, the original story track also changed drastically. The show was no longer about the Air-Force background. Before signing on the dotted line, I had made it clear to the producers that if the story changes, I would quit. As an actor, I need that creative satisfaction and when I don't get it, I don't see any reason for me to be a part of the show.
The show went off-air shortly after you quit. Has that got anything to do with your leaving the show?
I think it hardly makes a difference if an actor quits a show because eventually the producers find a replacement for them. Did Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi stop when Smriti quit the show? Eventually all that matters is how the audience is receiving the show. If the show has a good script and a storyline then I don't see any reason for the show to go off-air just because a particular actor has quit.
With so many TV actors taking part in reality shows, aren't you interested?
No. Reality shows are great but personally I wouldn't want to be a part of them. The concept is good, the actors are good and I have no problems with actors who are doing it. To each his own! But as long as I can have two meals a day doing TV serials, I will never ever be a part of reality shows.
Your stint with films did not land you any plum offers. Any plans to get back to films?
I never plan or strategise anything in life. I even became an actor by chance. By God's grace, everything has been great till now. My options are always open and if anything good comes up, I will surely take it up. Till then I am satisfied doing TV.

Are you doing any other shows besides Waaris?
Where is the time to do another show? Most of my time is taken up by Waaris. By the time I reach home, I am too exhausted to do anything else. I am very happy doing just one show because I am very lazy.

ar78655 thumbnail
India's pride
Patriotic stars on three things that make us proud

Kiran Kumar:

1 Firstly, it has to be Abhinav Bindra. He's won us the first individual gold medal at the Olympics.

2 The economic boom in the country

3 The rains! It's pouring all over the country so this will lead to more agricultural growth and also better electric supply.

ar78655 thumbnail
'I just wanted to take a break'

Iqbal Khan sets the record straight about this 'rift' with Ekta Kapoor

After a disastrous career in Bollywood, Iqbal hit the jackpot on small screen, thanks to his launch vehicle Kaisa Yeh Pyaar Hai. One after another, his shows became successful. However, in midst of all this, he suddenly decided to take a break.

Eventually, he quit Balaji Telefilms which came as a shocker for the industry.
Since then, he has not worked with Balaji and Ekta Kapoor. Ask Iqbal and he says, "I just wanted to take a break. It was much later I took up other shows. Probably, I did not get any exciting offer from Balaji and I could not work with them."

But, is there any animosity since he is not visible in Ekta's parties despite being one of her former blue-eyed boys?

"I guess, this is like digging out old graves. I thought that I was entangling myself too much into work and social dos. So, I cut down on the parties and in fact I don't go for most of the TV parties unless and until it's a social obligation. There is no animosity between us at all. She is going great guns with her shows which are working big time and I respect her immensely for the professional she is," he says setting the record straight.

On the work front, Iqbal is currently busy with his show Waaris on Zee, a family drama apparently inspired by Ram Gopal Verma's Sarkar. The show is produced by Smriti Irani.

What about acting with her? "It would be great if she acts in the show. I only know her as a producer and having her in the show would be a great idea. It would in fact add value to the show," he concludes.

Anashah1980 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
My Fundays
Iqbal Khan
One of the young faces on television, iqbal khan has already carved a niche for himself as angad in the serial, kaisa ye pyaar hai

I was born and brought up in Sanatnagar. The most beautiful memories of my childhood are associated with Kashmir. At that time, the political situation in Kashmir was not as bad as it is today. I have fond memories of boating in the shikaras on the Dal Lake and chatting with my friends at our favourite joints.

My father is an IAS officer. I have two elder sisters and an elder brother. Both my sisters are doctors while my brother is working with Acer, a software company. I happen to be the youngest and the most pampered one in the family. As a child I was quite naughty but thanks to our extended family, I was always protected. My grandmother was the head of the family and she always came to my rescue when I was about to be spanked.

As a child I was a troublemaker and used to scream my lungs out. Initially, my neighbours would complain but soon they got used to my antics.

I was obese as a child. There was a time when my waistline was 38 inches. I used to sneak into the kitchen and gorge on mouthwatering mutton delicacies. When I was in class VI, my parents sent me to Lawrence School, Sanawar in Himachal Pradesh. Life at boarding school was fun. I was a prankster and with no one to monitor my moves, I sharpened my skills.

Once, just before the vacations, my friends and I decided to be adventurous. We sneaked into the rooms of the dormitory, painting the faces of those asleep. Only, instead of colours, we used unadulterated shoe polish. Imagine our excitement.

I was a bright student with a passion for sports. I loved playing cricket and football. I was in class X when I decided to lose weight. My physical education teacher, Mohit Khanna, inspired me to turn into a fitness freak. Within a year, under his guidance, I managed to get into shape. Meanwhile, I got interested in acting and took it up as a career. Though my stint in Bollywood was not so successful, lady luck showered her blessings on me when I tried my luck in television.

My message to all of you is to have fun and never give up.

Anashah1980 thumbnail

Rock On!

Our reporter, Reena Thapar Kapoor will take you where no fan has been before – right into the lives and living rooms of your favourite celebrities. Get set for classified information

As far as film stars go, Salman Khan has 'it'. As far as television stars go, Iqbal Khan has 'it' in close measure. This hunk has always been hugely popular with his rock-star image as Angad on Kaisa Yeh Pyaar Hai; and now, his newest guise as Shaurya in Kavyanjali has caused his fanclub to swell by numbers. With two daily shows how does Iqbal manage to give his undivided attention to his work, his girlfriend and above all, to himself? Here's how…

1. Mera Number aa gaya (10:30 am)

Iqbal has a bad habit of getting to the sets on time. "I don't like to keep people waiting for me," he shrugs, characteristically, as he leaves his newest acquisition, a Hyundai Accent, waiting in the parking lot. His car contains his world – from his clothes to his shoes, to his odds and ends – it's all in here. But if you need to know, Iqbal is not half as proud of his car as he is about its number plate: 786 – the bismillah number, and a very auspicious one for Muslims.

Did you know?

• Iqbal is the youngest in the family, he's got two older sisters and two brothers

• The actor has been dating Sneha Chabbra for over two years

• The wedding is expected to happen sometime next year and will be a grand affair

• So far Iqbal has acted in two films debut in Fun2sh and Bullet, both flopped at the box-office

• He gets along famously with his Kaisa Yeh Pyaar Hai co-star Amit Tandon

• Iqbal was born and brought up in Kashmir, but he always aspired to become an actor

• He claims to be a typical Aquarian: honest, loyal, inventive and independent

• After investing in a swanky car, he is now anxious to buy a beautiful house for his bride-to-be

• His parents are not very fond of Mumbai; they complain that the weather is too hot

• He often takes Sneha and her mother out for dinners and movies

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/nmirror/mmpaper.asp?sectid=15&am p;articleid=5320062283053200622723453

Anashah1980 thumbnail

Rocking Success: Mohammed Iqbal Khan

Braving anonymity and disillusionment, professional highs and lows, Mohammed Iqbal Khan is finally on a roll
His professional life has been a roller coaster ride. He has seen it all - from the euphoric high of acting in two films to the frustrating low of seeing his role chopped at the editing table…to the adulation his Angad avatar has finally got him, in Kaisa Ye Pyar Hai.
Kashmiri hunk, Mohammed Iqbal Khan, was once a fatso. "My waist was 38 inches," he laughs. He needed the regimented discipline of a boarding school - Lawrence School, Sanawar - to shed the flab and turn into the lean, mean guy, girls are drooling over today. He dropped out during his third year of English Honours when his modelling (Airtel, Tropicana, Toyota) assignments became too hectic. Volunteering to hunt for locations in Kashmir for Agni Pankh, gave him his first foothold in the world of Hindi cinema.
Then came the roles…and the disillusionment. For diehard Angad fans, Fun2shh and Bullet Ek Dhamaka are must-see films if only to see the hero in other avatars. "For almost a year, I had no work, no money and two flops. Women would make passes at me but I didn't have the time to stop and react. They thought I was gay but when you're broke, girls are the last thing on your mind." Yet it was during these days that he connected with his girlfriend Sneha, whom he'd first met during the shooting of Falguni Pathak's music video, in Hyderabad. No sparks had flown then and Iqbal headed back to college in Delhi, while Sneha returned to Mumbai, without even exchanging numbers. Three years later, they spotted each other at a restaurant in Mumbai. This time, they exchanged numbers, met up on New Year's Eve and have been inseparable since then.

Anashah1980 thumbnail

http://xtraedition.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1601646.cms

TV stars on their favourite rain songs
Rachna Kanwar

Its time to clear your throat and hum a rain song! (If nothing else it will make the traffic jams and the waterlogged streets a little more bearable).

As monsoons arrive ten days early in Mumbai, we caught up with the TV stars to see the brighter side of the pitter patter raindrops. We asked them their favourite rain songs and after a lot of deliberation and hesitation, they told us of what they hum when it pours outside. So take a cup of chai and bhajiyas and soak in the juiciest rain songs that the tele-stars absolutely adore.

Mini Mathur
/photo.cms?msid=1601940 Rimjhim gire saawan- ' Manzil'
It has a nice tippy-tappy feeling. It's melodious and it just makes you want to sit next to the window with a cup of tea, to sit with somebody you love. It is very romantic, very nice.

Mukul Dev
/photo.cms?msid=1602006 Raindrops keep falling on my head - B J Thomas and Its raining – from the Motion picture-'Grease'
Raindrops keep falling on my head reminds me of my childhood and apart from that it has certain benevolence to it. It symbolizes freedom. I like it.

Sangeeta Ghosh
/photo.cms?msid=1602051 Bheegi Bheegi raaton mein – 'Ajnabee' (Sangeeta chose it after much deliberation)
I love that song. There is no particular reason for liking it; I just like the sound of it.

Iqbal Khan
/photo.cms?msid=1602089 Aaj rapat jayen- ' Namak Halal'
The chemistry between Amitabh Bachchan and Smita Patil is awesome in the song. They are rolling in the rain water and doing all sorts of things but it doesn't look cheap or dirty. At the same time it has a very cute and hot touch to it. It's a great song.

Poonam Narula
/photo.cms?msid=1602090 Rimjhim gire saawan- 'Manzil' and Megha re megha –'Lamhe'
I love that song. I love Sridevi in Megha re megha . She is freaking out without anybody around. I would love to do that.

Anita Hasnandani
/photo.cms?msid=1602092 Kuch kuch hota hai- Title song
I love it as it is well picturised and is all mushy mushy. And of course Kajol and Shah Rukh look made for each other in the song.

Kanchi
/photo.cms?msid=1602094 November Rain by Guns and Roses
I love humming it as it has a lot of depth, a lot of feeling and they have sung it really well.

Abhijeet Sawant
/photo.cms?msid=1602097 Rimjhim rimjhim, rumjhum rumjhum - '1942- A Love Story'
I love the song. It is a very good composition by R D Burman. It has been used beautifully. It is a great song.

Debojit Sarcar
/photo.cms?msid=1602098 Megha re megha re- ' Pyaasa Saawan'
It is an evergreen song. It talks about rains so beautifully. I just love it and like to hum it.

Indraneil Sengupta
/photo.cms?msid=1602099 Aaj maine dil se,khwahishon se milke - 'Main, Meri Patni aur woh'
I only remember the current songs. This one is fresh in my mind. There is a lot of romance in the song. It is very subtle and not very over the top. It is very underplayed and that is why I love it.

Anashah1980 thumbnail
Top of the pops

Manish Goel:
Being the only son my dad has given me lots of gifts. But the best was when he let me pursue my dreams of becoming an actor. He let me move to Mumbai, even though we have our family business in Delhi. It was a special moment for both my dad and me when I turned a father.

Today my world revolves around my son Arya. I am writing a diary for him. I plan to give him 15 such diaries by the time he reaches the age of 15. It includes daily tidbits like, 'Today we attended your first PTA meeting', sacrifices made by his mother (Poonam Narula) and advices.

Vikas Bhalla: The most special moments that I spent with my father was when I was 7-years-old. We had just shifted from Delhi to Mumbai. My dad's bedroom window offers a sea-view. I would lie on my dad's tummy and ask him to show me the sea. The best gift my dad has given me is letting me choose my own career.

😃Anita Hasanandani: I lost my father seven years back. That was one of the biggest shocks of my life. My father used to pamper me a lot.

My mother was very strict. But every time she'd shout at me my father would get upset with her. While in school I had saved my pocket money and bought my father a wallet. He was very happy. He used it till it could no longer be used.

Iqbal Khan: My father always gave me everything that I asked for. But he also made me work hard for it. He believes in giving that little extra to everything in life and he has instilled this quality in me too. I plan to gift my father a car soon. I speak to him every morning in Srinagar, where he lives.

Rakshanda Khan: As a child I remember my father teaching me math. I was terrible at it. My father was a genius in the subject. He had amazing patience and even if I asked him a question 100 times, he would answer it calmly. He never loses his cool.

I wish I had this quality too. Dad is not much of a gifts person. I had bought him a watch 10 years back and he still uses it. He loves chocolates though and I get loads of them whenever I go abroad.

Tina Parekh: When I was a child my father would bathe me and dress me for school. He had two huge mugs filled with milk which he would keep side by side. He would drink from one and make me drink from the other. I was not supposed to leave a single drop behind. All that my father wants is that his children should be good human

ar78655 thumbnail
My Fundays
Iqbal Khan

One of the young faces on television, iqbal khan has already carved a niche for himself as angad in the serial, kaisa yeh pyaar hai

I was born and brought up in Sanatnagar. The most beautiful memories of my childhood are associated with Kashmir. At that time, the political situation in Kashmir was not as bad as it is today. I have fond memories of boating in the shikaras on the Dal Lake and chatting with my friends at our favourite joints.

My father is an IAS officer. I have two elder sisters and an elder brother. Both my sisters are doctors while my brother is working with Acer, a software company. I happen to be the youngest and the most pampered one in the family. As a child I was quite naughty but thanks to our extended family, I was always protected. My grandmother was the head of the family and she always came to my rescue when I was about to be spanked.

As a child I was a troublemaker and used to scream my lungs out. Initially, my neighbours would complain but soon they got used to my antics.

I was obese as a child. There was a time when my waistline was 38 inches. I used to sneak into the kitchen and gorge on mouthwatering mutton delicacies. When I was in class VI, my parents sent me to Lawrence School, Sanawar in Himachal Pradesh. Life at boarding school was fun. I was a prankster and with no one to monitor my moves, I sharpened my skills.

Once, just before the vacations, my friends and I decided to be adventurous. We sneaked into the rooms of the dormitory, painting the faces of those asleep. Only, instead of colours, we used unadulterated shoe polish. Imagine our excitement.

I was a bright student with a passion for sports. I loved playing cricket and football. I was in class X when I decided to lose weight. My physical education teacher, Mohit Khanna, inspired me to turn into a fitness freak. Within a year, under his guidance, I managed to get into shape. Meanwhile, I got interested in acting and took it up as a career. Though my stint in Bollywood was not so successful, lady luck showered her blessings on me when I tried my luck in television.

My message to all of you is to have fun and never give up.