Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Krani thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 10 years ago
That was beautiful! It left me with such a wide smile and a warm, fuzzy feeling on the inside!

I loved the dialogue exchange between the two, and how the scene played out! 

Great work Twiggy! Is this your first time writing a FF? If it is, then why didn't you start sooner? Woman, you have a talent! 
I loved the first chapter! 
This dialogue really cracked me up:

"Talk to me Khushi. And don't start that unnecessary conversation where you say its nothing, then I assert something is the matter, and we spend half an hour in a pointless discussion at the end of which you give up and tell me everything. So cut the crap and spit it out, NOW."

That is so freaking true. 
Every woman does that. 
"what's wrong?"
"Nothing" 
when in fact something is wrong πŸ˜† 
But underneath the humour, you could see his concern for her and that is what brought that smile to my face. 

I am looking forward to seeing where you go from here :D

~K

Edited by Krani - 10 years ago
vgedin thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 5

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. It really means a lot! I was grinning as I read all the comments, I must have read each one at least ten times. So thank you again! πŸ˜ƒ 

Chapter 2

"She didn't even have her dinner properly, Shashi."

"I know that Garima. Thankfully Arnav has taken her out for coffee, I'm sure she won't let go of a chance to have some cake too.

"I remember how worried I used to be when she was a child. Always gorging on sweets.  I thought she'd lose all her teeth before she hit her teens!"

Shashi chuckled at the fond memories. Khushi  had walked out in the middle of dinner, he couldn't  get himself to swallow a morsel after that. He knew she was upset, he also knew he was the reason behind it. But what could he do? She was his baby afterall, he had to look out for her.  And if that meant being at the receiving end of her anger for some time, so be it.

"Maybe its not such a bad idea afterall, Shashi. Its just an internship. She's not talking about quitting her degree.."

"Just an internship, Garima? You too? You know that girl, I allow her to do this and she will get carried away. She will lose focus. And that's the last thing she needs at this point.  She herself understands the importance and the value of this internship. This whole writing thing - its an interest, a hobby and I have no qualms about her pursuing it. But she cannot make a career out of it.  She can't drop a prestigious internship and run mad after it. It may please her at this point, but it will take her nowhere, and it will be too late when she realises that."

"You are right, Shashi. God knows how much I wish I could get myself to support her. Fight you and tell you you are wrong, that she shouldn't worry about her career and just fulfil her dreams. That we are there to provide any kind of support she needs. But that's the catch, isn't it? She is stubborn, and she is fiercely independent. She would give up an arm before she asks for help, any kind of help. We forced her into engineering, yet she made sure she gets a scholarship to support her studies. Honestly, I find her sense of independence slightly twisted, bordering on extreme. And I have told her in so many words, but she wouldn't budge."

"That's the point Garima. This writing thing, if she pursues it full time, its not going to get any bread to her table. And Khushi, by the virtue of being Khushi, will never willingly turn to anyone for support, that obstinate little girl. Not to us, not to Payal, not to Arnav. That's why I want her to have a career, one that will allow her the luxury of choice in life. Some day if she is so mad at me that she walks out that door, I want her to be able to lead a comfortable life, not just... I don't want her to see the days we have, Garima. I never want her to go through what we did. I don't want her know whats its like to live in poverty... She is my baby, she won't let me protect her but I can make sure she is well equipped to protect herself. And I will ensure that happens." he ended, promising himself yet again that he would keep his words.

She knew her husband was right, and hated herself for being unable to just ask her child to forget all her worries and go for what she wants. But she knew her daughter well, and she had seen the world. It was not an unkind place, but it held some realities she never wished for her children to witness. She noticed Shashi's slumped form, a rare sight she hated to witness. She softly placed her hand on his shoulder from behind, and almost instantly felt his hand on hers.

"Do you think I'm wrong, Garima? Do you think I am spoiling her life?"

"No." She didn't speak further, and he didn't need anything more.

Payal Gupta had had a long, LONG, day. She was used to it, she was a medical student afterall. But she felt unusually tired today. Dinner has been an unpleasant affair, what with the tiff between her father and her sister. She felt sad for Khushi, she had caught her looking at her with hopeful eyes, wishing her big sister would stand up for her,  offer her support. Say something. Anything. 

She had disappointed her sister today, her little Khushi. Her sibling was a tough cookie, that she knew. But to Payal, she would always be her baby sister. What could she have said? She sympathised with Khushi, but couldn't get herself to say so because she knew her father was right. She knew Khushi was hurting, but in the long run, it would all work out for the best. At least she hoped it would. She thanked the Gods for Arnav, he had been Khushi anchor in the toughest times. She personally found him to be a goofy aimless brat, but he was a good man at heart and really loved her sister. And for that she was grateful.

His brother on the other hand... Her thoughts drifted to the kind bespectacled man who was yet to bring her daily indulgence. She took a look a the clock, it was half past 10. Now where was he?

Just then she heard her phone beep.

"I'm at the door!"

"You're late"

"It was the traffic"

"You couldn't have called?"

"I thought you'd be studying! You hate it when I disturb you while you're studying"

"You could've still called to inform"

"You were waiting for me?"

-

-

"You were waiting! Awww"

"Shut up"

"You do realise I'm still outside the door"

"Yes. I do."

-

-

"I'm still here!"

"So?"

"Open the damn door!"

"No"

"What?"

"No. And I wasn't waiting"

"Fine. You weren't waiting. And I didn't find the raspberry cheesecake at Moshe's."

-

-

"Give me my cheesecake" , she said opening the door only partially. She squinted her nose and stretched her arm out, if not for her height one would have mistaken her for a child demanding his candy. Not a trace of grace or poise in her body.

"Not before you let me in"

"You are over half an hour late"

"So you were waiting. I thought you lose track of time when you're busy?"

"I was tired,  decided to take a break and that's when I looked that the clock"

"The cheesecake looked delicious. Glad I'm going to have it all to myself. See you tomorrow!"

"Don't you dare!"

"Not so loud, darling. Shhh"

"Fine." And with that she finally opened the door.

-

-

And so Payal ate her cheesecake while Aakash...looked at her. They talked. They laughed. They kissed. And then he left.

Why wouldn't he say it, she thought. Men! Hpmh!

Why wouldn't she say it, he thought. Women!  Hpmh!

He dropped her off only after he had kissed her to his heart's content. She came back to her room, showered and changed.  Then she opened her laptop, sent an email and wiped her tears. 

She wasn't going to JNU. 

She settled comfortably on her bed and reached for the newspaper. She got to the page with the crossword puzzle of the day, and laughed at the first clue. Even her dear puzzles were mocking her today.

10 letter word for 'Renunciation of your own interests in favour of the interests of others' 

Abnegation.

Edited by vgedin - 10 years ago
sj_arhi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 4
sj
EDIT
Wonderful update Twiggy. Shashi and Garima's concerns are fully justified. They have faced hardships in the past and as parents would not want to see their daughter in a similar situation. One would wonder the reason for Shashi's strong resolve, and there you answered it by stating that even in moments of need Khushi would never ask for help, with an illustration of scholarship to support her studies complementing it. She is my baby, she won't let me protect her but I can make sure she is well equipped to protect herself. And I will ensure that happens. And with those words I love Shashi already. 

Garima is a mother who wants to see her daughter happy and here you wonderfully portrayed her dilemma between letting her daughter choose her interests and protecting her. She considered the idea of allowing Khushi when she witnessed her reaction but her husband's words brought her own concerns back and she chose to support Shashi. 

Payal, a sister who would do everything to bring joy in her baby sister's life. I have faced her situation a number of times; Although I want to agree with my sister, I cannot, simply because it is not the best for her. The eyes of hope at a form of support and later disappointment that she throws my way is enough to sour my mood for the rest of my day, till all is well. I loved the way you wrote that part Twiggy.

Even her dear puzzles were mocking her today.

10 letter word for 'Renunciation of your own interests in favour of the interests of others' Abnegation.

So true!! When you are at an all time low, it looks like the whole world is conspiring against you.   

Edited by sj_arhi - 10 years ago
reflorated thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

I find it oddly amusing that while one daughter is an engineer, the other one is a doctor. Good Hindustani bacche πŸ˜† 

This was a wonderful chapter, Twiggy. Garima and Shashi's concerns are justified ... and it feels like Deja Vu... and Payal is well, she's like me you know. More focused on that cake than on the delivery boy. But then, its cheese cake. πŸ˜† Speaking of which, BBSR doesn't know what a cheese cake is. I feel like banging my head on a wall.

Shashi and Khushi make me go warm and fuzzy. I think I'll go give my papa a hug

Yet again, a lovely chapter Twiggs. Thanks for the quick updates

Edited by V323 - 10 years ago
EXPELLIARMUS thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 8
First off, I love Payal's profession! πŸ˜†

With this update, there is  now a better picture in my head about the characters and their lives.

We have Shashi and Garima, who have seen what it is like to be poor, and wish to avoid that for their daughter at all costs.
Can't fault them there, can we?

And then there's Payal, who can't help but agree with her parents. And she's seeing Akash , jodi dun!

Finally, there's Khushi, who is coming to terms with leaving her dream unfulfilled.
My heart goes out to her...

I'm waiting for the next update to get a clearer picture of Arnav!

P.S: OMG , are you doing daily updates?

Edited by EXPELLIARMUS - 10 years ago
Eccentrica thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
You portrayed father-daughter relationship so perfectly. Khushi not having her dinner over the affray and the same resulting in Shashi not being able to complete his dinner. The part that stood out would be the one wherein he was okay with being at the receiving end of his daughter's anger for some time...πŸ‘πŸΌ

Khushi's personality is another point that makes itself shown in glimpses in every update. She has that stubborn streak but it doesn't make her blind towards everything else. Her parents' concern is well found since they have went through hard times and I have a feeling that despite her adamancy, she understands their thought process otherwise she wouldn't have given up on JNU.

The Akash-Payal part was just so cute

Nothing like happenings around us even if they may be something as trivial as a crossword puzzle to remind us of our personal grief... very well put!
Edited by Eccentrica - 10 years ago
LeenaRocks thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 5
res

Ah!! A mind stirring update! So true and quite the case of our lives!
I know 3 - Idiots happened and that everyone could connect to ... but how pragmatic can that all be? esp here in India... given the political conditions... 
I so understand where Shashi comes from ... its quite palpable ... and if what is said about Khushi and her obstinate self is true ... then offcourse a father will have to put his foot down to have his way ... 

Hmm Payal - Aakash ... that was quite daring i should say! so they meet like this every night? with parents around in the same house? man! that needs some daring :)

Aww! Khushi! ... baby i just hope she understands her father .. or lest ...be less stubborn...

Good one overall! :) Thanks for the update and the PM hun!
Edited by LeenaRocks - 10 years ago
Rasgulla_sp thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
r

Edited:

My net is down.

So this short comment before it dies again completely.

Now Shashi's perspective is right too. The kind of person Khushi is, she will starve but not ask. No father would want his child to starve. But at the same time I want Khushi to get what she wants but looks she has decided to decline the offer.

I loved the PayAsh bits. They have spunk! Doesnt Payal stay with her parents?

Now bye πŸ˜”

Update soon 😊
Edited by Rasgulla_sp - 10 years ago
1chilly thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
I love the Aakash Payal couple. Loved their banter.
But I didn't get one thing here. Payal was at dinner with her family, but she lives alone? 
And what does Arnav do? 
Shashi is absolutely right. Any parent would do what he has done.
He wants his daughter to be financially independant and her writing will not make her so.
Love this story. Like Krani, I too ask myself, why didn't she write earlier? 
Edited by 1chilly - 10 years ago
meera30 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 7
Oh I loved this sneak peek into more of their lives. Shashi and Garima are good people and it is their struggle i think that allows their children to dream beyond the need to earn bread. At least, that is what I have finally understood about my life and my fights with my parents :) 

Dreams are tough to give up but I know that many times there is a way to bridge dreams and reality.Maybe she will have that chance.

Even if not now, a few years down the line. Contrary to what we think, dreams don't come with expiry dates, they just morph into other dreams as time catches up and so does our ability to pursue them. Or so I would like to believe.

Four letter word to describe a feeling of optimism that makes life live-able

Hope