Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

A_BA thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
This is such an interesting concept...really liked how you handled "The Curious Case of Shyam Jha"

Now I'm really looking forward to see how you will proceed!
KaaliBilli thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Intriguing start and will be waiting for more.

Thanks for the recommendation Vee.

-RB
marleylerner thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Totally intrigued by this. Please do continue writing and soon. The idea seems interesting. Waiting for more 
rakhee12 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Where have you been all this while. Better late than never... Loved the start. Pls updatezzz soon
Sangfroid thumbnail

Thank you to A_BA, arnkhunostalgic, KaaliBilli, marleylerner and rakhee12 for reading and letting me know what they felt. I could not post this in a separate message as it kept alerting me for spamming. :-)

Chapter 1

APPENDIX

Statement by Mrs. Khushi Arnav Singh Raizada, Entrepreneur

SUBJECT

Investigation of disappearance of Shyam Manohar Jha

LOCATION OF RECORDING

Shantivan, New Delhi, India.

I, Mrs. Khushi Arnav Singh Raizada state that I had indeed witnessed the escape of Shyam Manohar Jha on the date of 21-06-2013; around 9:30 in the evening.

Since my late mother in law's death anniversary was just round the corner, I had decided to take the time out today to shop for the supplies needed. There had been know need, the servants were more than capable, but I had felt I should do it ... just because.

It had been an unusually hot day. Mohan ji (the driver) made a joke about the sun and women when he thought I was not paying attention. With all due respect, I will not reproduce the joke in this statement. I immediately reprimanded him and reminded him that he had no business complaining about the heat when he was driving a car whose air conditioner was in perfect condition. Mohan ji's callous attitude was a huge turn off and I almost felt like going back home. But we had to come too far, and it would be a waste to go back now. Nevertheless, I sent jiji an SMS about being upset. She has not yet replied.

As we were approaching the market, we heard a commotion outside. I asked Mohan ji to keep still and went out to inquire what was going on. As it turned out, a man on a scooter had banged into a girl's BMW. It reminded me of the time when I myself had banged into Arnav ji's car with my scooter. I really wanted to go and interfere and sort the fight out, but I remembered the cut lip from the brawl that had ensued the last time I tried to interfere. I decided to go back into the car and ask Mohan ji to back the car and make way for the market from another road.

We made our way, with me looking out of the scenery. It was all drab and grey, just like how I was feeling. I suddenly felt unwell, even though I knew I had no fever. It was an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach. As if something would go wrong ... as it did, later towards the day.

The second road had been blocked out as well, by the metro construction workers. Traffic was moving very slowly. I was by now ready to cry. Half the day had passed and I was not done with anything. It seems to me that the Devi Maiyya wanted me to give up and go back home. How I wish I had paid attention to her signals.

Mohan ji said he knew another way by which we could get to the market but the road was not in good condition. I told him to just go with it and soon, we were speeding our way to this "another way". I had never been in this part of the city. I asked Mohan ji what area this was. Janakpuri was the answer. Soon we passed Janakpuri and took a straight road down. I was feeling queasy in the stomach, by now. The road was nearly empty. I decided to tamp down the feeling, when suddenly the car lurched and stopped. I asked Mohan ji what the matter was when I realized why our car had stopped.

Shyam Manohar Jha stood in front of us, covered in blood and sweat. He walked forward with viciously and opened the driver's door. Mohan ji tried to make a brave fight of it but he was no match for the hungry, desperate man. Mohan ji was thrown on the road, with his cheek cut open. My throat had dried and I felt bile rise up my throat. There was a grey-white haze which covered everything. I felt the back of my eyes burning. Suddenly I realized that Shyam had my hand in a grip. In the next moment the tip of his knife was on my throat. I felt hot tears slide down my cheek. He leered down to me and asked me to stop crying. I managed to reach for my clutch and threw it on his face. I used the moment of freedom and stumbled out of the car. Suddenly the car started and Mohan ji tried to chase the car as the blood flowed freely from his cheek. I felt the grey-white haze darken and closed my eyes.

The next thing I remembered was waking up in my bedroom. Arnav ji sat beside me and fed me lunch. The doctor had prescribed medicines. Hari Prakash came running through the door. He said that the car had been returned to the garage ... the car which had been extorted from me.

STATEMENT SIGNED AND WITNESSED BY

ACP Abhijeet Shukla

Delhi Police Force

A/N: To those who felt it was long and flowery – that is just how Khushi speaks. Full of drama, romance and flowery gestures. This is, as they say, her party. Or should I say perspective? ;-)

Thank you for the response to the prologue. Hope you liked the first chapter as well.

Snoowfall thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
We did like this chapter, please continue...

Do not worry abt PM, we are stalking the thread 😊
Edited by arnkhunostalgic - 10 years ago
rakhee12 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Interesting, Can't wait for the story to unfold...
CheshireBilli thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 7
You know, I hadn't really thought about it.
Listening to different testimonies and trying to discern who is telling the truth and who is not, what is real and what is an embellishment... that is a damned difficult job!

Leaving aside conventionally established character reliability, I can see how Khushi may well be dramatizing because of her unholy love for drama.

Well done on this part!
lazyleaves thumbnail
Just yesterday I was thinking why hasn't anyone written an ArHi FF on the Roshomon effect and now I see this one here :-)

I haven't read it yet as I am a little sleepy at the moment. I shall read this one with a clear head tomorrow :-)Edited by lazyleaves - 10 years ago
marleylerner thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
When I started reading Khushi's statement, I was like what the hell, what's with the unnecessary details but as I read it I realised that is exactly how Khushi would talk even if it is statement to the police about the escape of a dangerous man. You got it just right in my opinion!

So we have Khushi's perspective. Now you got me even more intrigued. Just brilliant that you came up with this. 

Thanks!! Waiting eagerly to see where you take this next.