Arshad’s selfish motive in doing Bigg Bos

*dels* thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Arshad's selfish motive in doing Bigg Boss 

Arshad Warsi at the Bigg Boss launch event
Riding high on the success of Lage Raho Munnabhai, ARSHAD WARSI is now gearing up for his small screen appearance with Bigg Boss, an upcoming show on Sony Television. 

What attracted you to the show?
It's a great concept and a good show. It's like a film. I take up a film that I enjoy watching and this is a show that I'd like to watch. I've seen the international format and loved it. Besides being a good quality product, the time factor involved also suited me.

You've rejected a lot of television shows?
Not really! I wasn't offered too many shows and whatever was offered weren't good enough. But they were all in the discussion stage.

People said that you had become arrogant after the success of Munnabhai M.B.B.S. and started date problems!
(Laughs) I don't think I'm arrogant. I'm the last person who's arrogant. But the fact is I don't want to act on TV. I've films to act in, I don't want to kill that. I want to keep anchoring for TV and act in films.

What prompted you to take up TV when your film career is happening in a big way?
TV is huge now. I've decided to do TV at a time when things are working for me in films. I guess my level of insecurity is a little less as compared to other actors.

Did the fun element of hosting a show seem attractive?
I don't know about the fun bit but there's a selfish reason also in doing it. A lot of people know me as Circuit but they don't know me as a person. They think that's the real me. I haven't received any award for Circuit because they say that I wasn't acting. I was just being myself (laughs).

So what is the real Arshad Warsi like?
I'm a very regular, normal sort of guy with a good sense of humour.

People feel you were edited out in the second half of Lage Raho Munnabhai?
I wasn't there in the second half of Munnabhai M.B.B.S. also but people didn't notice it as I wasn't really doing films then. After that film, I think I invaded people's minds. That's why people are feeling that way. But I think I had a more defined role in Lage Raho...

Did you ever foresee what Munnabhai M.B.B.S. would do to your career?
Not at all! It's just that I did the film because I wasn't doing much then. It was a film in which I was a character doing comedy. But I knew that it was a good film and would do wonders for Sanju's career. In fact, I felt that it would harm my career even more as I would get only those kinds of offers. The industry is like that.

You've rejected a lot of film offers after Munnabhai!
I rejected all the offers where I was expected to do the same thing. I felt it wasn't right as Circuit was part of the Munnabhai property. It would have looked too cheesy and people wouldn't have liked me in Lage Raho... They'd say that they've already seen me doing this many times. I've also rejected a lot of ads where I was expected to sport the same look as Circuit. So I guess that's why I got the arrogant tag. You can't make everyone happy.

Did you really have a problem with Sanju and Vidhu Vinod Chopra?
No yaar! Why should I have a problem with them? Anyway, they are too big for me to have a problem with them or for them to have a problem with me.

Ramanathan signed you for Zamanat and refused to replace you with a saleable name during your low phase. How does it feel?
It's feels absolutely wonderful. I have so much respect for him. What makes me really happy is when he told me that what happened with me was exactly the same thing that had happened to Mr. Bachchan years back. He had signed Mr. Bachchan for Bombay To Goa, and all his distributors backed out. They even promised bigger money if he replaced Mr. Bachchan with a star. But he refused to budge like he did with me. He says that history repeated itself and today there are financiers coming forward to release his film. With so many years of experience, he knows who will last.

What equation do you share with the industry people today who ignored you during your low phase?
I'm a very practical guy and believe that there are people who will spend crores on you only if you get them returns. No one will do it for relationships or friends. Today I can get people their money back and they want to work with me. I'm fine with that. That's how the industry functions. I've signed some brilliant films and have Kabul Express, Zamanat and Dhamal releasing. I thank God that my bad time is over and just hope that my good time stays for long.

Edited by del_geo - 17 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sparkling_Star thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
i think Arshad Warsi is one of the best Comedians in Bollywood
and am so happy he is gonna host Big Boss!! 😳 Edited by Sparkling_Star - 17 years ago
bostanian thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
thanks for sharing 😊 😊 😊
Arshad is a fabulous actor 👏
purva thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
I have liked Arshad since i saw him in his first movie.... unfortunately i forgot the name but it was debut movie for Arshad and Chandrachoor Singh... anybody remember the name?? Arshad was fabulous in that 👏 👏
rangi1222 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
arshed is a amazing actor.thanx for sharing
ritikas thumbnail

Originally posted by: purva

I have liked Arshad since i saw him in his first movie.... unfortunately i forgot the name but it was debut movie for Arshad and Chandrachoor Singh... anybody remember the name?? Arshad was fabulous in that 👏 👏

the movie was called Tere Mere Sapne...the movie was quite entertaining...thanks to the all the actors in it!...arshad warsi's comic timing was evident even in those early days.....the unfortunate part is he wasn't given much credit for it...most probably coz he wasn't launched by a yash chopra or a karan johar!😕

xChandnix thumbnail
I agree about above comment but can't wwait for show 😛
HoneY_BeE thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: purva

He was very good in that movie..it is called Tere Mere Sapne...the songs were good too...