Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

tanya_vi thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 11 years ago

Originally posted by: -publicenemy-

Yes, you're right about Kalarikkal being Nair usually as opposed to Namboothiri illams, although I have come across exceptions.  The reason I chose Kalarikkal was only because of how common a name it is for a house (The Illam and Manas have more specific names and the last thing I want is someone PM-ing me and saying "Hey, you writing about my family??"  ;))  So, I would ask you to forgive the un-usualness.  

The Illam that you have posted above is a much more typical Illam that you would find it Kerala than the picture I posted; I chose the one I did only because that picture had a certain type of 'ambiance' that I wanted for the house.  But this picture makes me nostalgic as does the one with the paddy fields and the basic nattumpurambu :)  I grew up there until I was 13, although in the city, but still... the villages are really in my system with how naturally beautiful they are...  
As for the language, my parents were insistent for a long time after we came to the US that only Malayalam could be spoken at home, a most awesome restriction in hindsight, as I feel that my Malayalam is still pretty good :)  

And lastly, no annoyance.  Hehee.. I have heard several people refer to this and the fact that I may be annoyed for being given valid feedback.  I spoke of annoyance only in specific reference to people asking for specific scenes (i.e. "More Maan-Geet pleaaase!").   So, please readers, it was not meant to be blanket statement... Please contribute away... :)

-Devi 

Thank you Devi for the reply. I have absolutely no problem about the name of your story. Just happened to notice this because you have put in that extra effort to make every other aspect in this story perfect and authentic.
I salute your parents for encouraging you to speak Malayalam. I have cousins who seem to have completely forgotten their mother tongue.Typical ABCDs (American Born Confused Desis) I'd say. My old grand parents seriously have problems communicating with them  even though they speak and understand the language.  Maybe it's the accent, I guess...

About 'Annoyance'...well,I am sorry Devi. For a moment I had forgotten that I was dealing with this special person who is very open minded. Love you for being you:)
ninand thumbnail

Originally posted by: Noe123

I follow your other story - Before I fall again..., but have been getting PMs about updates to this story as well. At first, I just ignored it, because it is an Arnav-Khushi story, and I am not much fond of Khushi - the character as well as the actor (no offence to fans). But, today I decided to read this, and I am captivated by the lush green fields, the rain and the ancient house.

You have created a mood/an atmoshphere so ethereal that it leaves me longing for it. I am eager to see how it affects Arnav (I am still on chapter 3)

I have never been to Kerala. Till I visit it, I am on a virual tour through your words. But, one day I will visit it, and while sitting in such a house (most probably converted to a hotel), will read your story while listening to Kerala rains :)

i share your sentiments, word for word. ..and,  the pictures put up on the first page slid so effortlessly into their role, the canvas has become that much more vivid with wild untamed rustic green cradling the deep settling magnificence of aging wood,stone and time, in that house.
-publicenemy- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Engager 3 Thumbnail + 6

Chapter 12 – Nalan's Lie

"What did they say to her?"  He asked and boy looked at him in confusion and he realized that he had spoken rather quickly and repeated the question slowly.

"Ah…"  Nalan acknowledged with a nod.

"They say… you live in Kashi Chechy's house.  Hmm…"  The boy paused now as he thought once again and after a few moments said,  "They say… why you Delhi-man?  Rich men here too."   

"bas***ds!"  he muttered under his breath.

"bas***d!   Yes.  Thantayillaton."  The boy agreed, hearing him perfectly.

"Come again?"  he asked, looking down at Nalan.  He wondered curiously how the boy knew both curses and English in equal measure. 

"bas***ds!  Without father, no? Thantakku Pirakkatavan!"  

He listened but shook his head without understanding because the kid had changed the word somewhat.  bas***d would do.  He didn't need to know the Malayalam word for it.

He had to wonder now though why Govindan Namboothiri would ask a grown man to live in the house with his two unmarried daughters even with him as a chaperone.  The man must know that the word would spread to the villagers; not that it seemed like the man was intent on keeping it a secret anyways as Namboothiri had given him permission yesterday to go into the village with Pallavi or Kashi.  Clearly, not a man who was trying to hide that there was a stranger living in his house.  Was he not worried about his daughters' reputation?  Or situations like this where his daughter would be subjected to lewd talk from assholes who couldn't tell their mother from their sister. 

He resumed his walk as he ruminated in this fashion and Nalan started rolling his tire along like before and it wasn't long before they were right in front of the two roadside Romeos.

"Itharada Nalan-Kutta ithu vare ivideyengum kanatha oru chettan?" ("Who is this dude that we have never seen here before, Nalan?").  He heard the leader douche-bag ask Nalan and he looked down at Nalan for translation.

The kid only looked at him briefly before looking back at the men.  "Kashi chechy-ye kettan vannatha kure doorennu."   ("He came to marry Kashi chechy.  From somewhere far away.")

Nalan refused to look at him so he looked at the men to see their response.  Whatever the kid had said, it had evidently delivered a bit of a blow to the men because the beedi in the main guy's hand had fallen off while the sidekick's jaw was hanging open.

He narrowed his eyes and looked at Nalan, but by the time he looked up, the guy with the lost beedi had gotten up off the log.

"Sariyano chetta?  Kashiye kettan vannathano?"  ("Is it true?  Have you come to marry Kashi?")

He was about to speak and tell the guys that he didn't speak Malayalam, but Nalan suddenly grabbed his hand and pulled on it and when he looked down at the boy, Nalan avoided his gaze as he told the men, "Ee chettan Delhi-nnu vannatha.  Kashi chechy pandengo Delhi-yil poyappo ee chettan kandunnu.  Chechy-ye pullikangu pidichu poyi.  Kashi chechyalle.. anganangu veenu kodukkumo.  Chechy paranju ethra valia pathrasanengilum chechy-kku oru pullumalla,  chechy-kkisthamillannu.  Pakshe ee chettanu Kashi chechye tanne matheennu.  Angane anveshichu vannatha.  Ippam ethandurapicha matta.  Atha ee chettan illathu tamasikkunne." ("He is coming from Delhi.  Apparently, he saw Kashi didi in Delhi a long time ago and fell for her.  But you know her…  She wouldn't fall that easily.  She told him she didn't care what a big-shot he is, that she is not interested.  But, evidently he only wants her.   So, he came here in search of her.  Now, their wedding is almost set.  That's why he is staying in their house.")

Nalan paused for a moment and looked up at him and he raised his eyebrows, but the kid shook his head before looking back at the men and saying, "Chettanu Malayalam ariyilla.  Athondu ningal raksha pettu.  Allengil chechy-yodu ningalu paranja varthamanam manasilayirunengil ningalde podi polum ippam undagillarunnu.  Aalu bayangara viruthana.  Kashi-chechynnu paranja jeevanum! Ningade sthalathu njananengil ini chechy-de aduthu chumma kanja-pinja varthanam parayan nikkilla.  Veruthe chechy-de aduthunnu pulicha terim kittum, ee chettarinja thadeem pokum.  Entina veruthe…" ("He doesn't know Malayalam.  So, you guys were saved.  Otherwise, if he had understood what you both said to her, he would have taken care of you both by now!  He is hard-core like that.  And Kashi didi is his life!  If I were you, I wouldn't say such bullshit to Kashi didi anymore.  You will get another earful from her and if this bhai finds out, he will kick your ass too.  Why risk it?")

Arnav heard the kid say Kashi's name a bunch of time and there was a Delhi somewhere in there too, but aside from that, he couldn't make head or tail out of the long monologue.  He looked back at the guy and saw him look back and forth between him and kid before his gaze finally settled on him.  At first he saw a questioning look on the man's face, and his gaze turned into one of confusion.  And then the man's face changed.   No matter the language barrier, men had no difficulty understanding non-verbal signals, particularly those laced with threat as the guy's expression showed now.  He didn't realize how quickly his own expression could change when faced even the mildest of provocation.  It was true that he hadn't gotten into a fight since middle school; part of the reason was his improved self-control, but the other part was that he didn't need to do anything other than let his face do the talking.  He knew his eyes could turn positively feral when threatened; the potential for that sort of aggression was dormant inside him, not obliterated completely.  It likely never would. 

It must have been intense enough because both guys physically took a step back.  The sidekick walked away first and was soon followed by the main one.  He looked at their retreating backs and when they were far enough away, he heard a sudden sound and looked down to see Nalan laughing with his head thrown back.

"What the hell did you tell them?"  he asked, thinking over the whole interaction between the kid and the guys with suspicion now. 

Nalan looked at him and winked before he controlled his laugh enough to ask, "You stay at illam?"

"Illam?"  he asked and the kid nodded. "House.  Illam is Namboothiri house."

"I see."  He said before he said the word again.  "Illam…  hmm… yes, I stay at Illam.  How do you know?"

Nalan smiled and gave him another wink before starting to roll his tire again without answering.

He wanted to once again ask the boy what he had said to the guys, but then gave up.  The kid didn't seem intent on answering and it wasn't like he was that interested in knowing anyways, as long as it didn't have too much to do with him.

The girl could clearly fight her own battles, although he did wonder how they would live down the scandal if there was one due to his stay.  But it wasn't really his problem, it was their father's.  If the man didn't care what happened to their daughters' good name, why should he worry about it.

He noticed that the boy was about to disappear around the corner and called to him.

"Show me the way to the…"  he was about to say house, but then stopped himself and said, "Illam."  He didn't think Kashi would come back to check on him now and he was sure that she would rather that he got lost permanently.

The boy broke into a wide grin and nodded.

______

Edited by -publicenemy- - 11 years ago
3llie thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Res

Res

Res

I can't believe I did it. I'm first :) jumps in a fit of joy

Okay so I wasn't really reading this story at first, having to many ff:s to juggle between and remembering their respective stories. But then I smacked myself in the head, I was being stupid

Everyone knows your writting is brilliant. So I started and couldn't stop of course. Only stopped when there was no more chapters to read. So now I stalk this thread aswell.

And this night it paid of beautifully.

I read it and I was first :)

To the story who could have know that they would be e en better in malayalam, a language I don't know a word in. Or sorry I do, illam is house right?
Edited by 3llie - 11 years ago
serialwatcher16 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Thanks D. I have checked so many times since morning. Now I will sit and look at my own deadlines. 😆

The die has been cast. Enjoying this so much. Whom is Arnav going to employ as his translator, somebody who is faithful to him. he needs one immediately or maybe not. 
If KH comes easily to you, do write this, I definitely do not mind. 😃

-memorable- thumbnail
hell of a translator Arnav has 
lexaxel thumbnail
Sheesh...little boys & their tall tales*shaking head*...anyways tht puts to rest a doubt which was nibbling at my brain. As to how her father would have agreed to a marriage between the two even if they fell in love😛. Being a tharavattile pennkutty and all tht...

I was under the impression it was a 10 chapter story and was puzzled when even after the 8th chapter they were at loggerheads😛. Read the 1st page once again. 

U write really well. The mood is captured perfectly. Have u written any other Arhi stories??? If yes, may I please have the link😊????
esmeralda111 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
you know, I ve been checking on IF every few minutes for ur update..n just saw it after seems like a long time...bt its so short...😭 update soon n longer one..
Onlooker thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
You are back..😃

OMG ..LOL..😆. the kid..he was translating the curse word with finesse..!! Nalan doesn't realize what he has done!! And he did not explain anything to Arnav!!  So Arnav is blissfully unaware of the tornado he has unintentionally caused..!! 

segad thumbnail
the kid is like a miniature cupid with wheels too😆

Boy wait till the news gets around the village and kashi hears it😆

very nice👏