Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

xxsanaaaxx thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
loved it thx 4 the pm!! can't wait to read the other updates.
xxsanaaaxx thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
awww can't wait to read the next update, finally caught up... waiting for hte next updates!! thx 4 pm!
madmaxine thumbnail

Chapter 12: Khushi's angels and Arnav's devils

Arnav fixed his sweater and walked back to the dining table. The girls were still working on their dinner. Khushi grinned at him apologetically. "Sorry, she's a little messy. We're trying to get her to eat by herself, and the food doesn't always get to her mouth!"

"No problem" said Arnav, still wiping at the wet patch on his sweater gingerly. Sheila piped up again. "Nita spits food at us all the time." She told Arnav gravely.

"I feel much better knowing it's not just me" Arnav smiled at Sheila. Sheila looked puzzled. She turned to her Mom. "ASR was making a joke honey!" Khushi reassured her.

"Children don't get sarcasm, ASR!" said Khushi.

"Sorry!" He grimaced. He turned to Sheila. "Hey Sheila! Why don't you open the gift I got you now? Nita's here too." He turned to Khushi, "She refused to open it till she could share it with her sister" He said.

"Go ahead honey, open it" said Khushi in answer to Sheila's questioning look. Sheila scurried away to bring her present to the table. She ripped the wrapping off excitedly.

"Mommy! It's a book!" she said happily. "Akbar and Birbal" she read carefully.

"Aww! You bought her an Amar Chitra Katha." Said Khushi. "How sweet of you."

"Well, you said she read very well, and I thought she might enjoy an Indian story." Shrugged Arnav. Khushi smiled at Arnav. "Go up and get into your PJs Sheila. ASR will be up to read you a story. From your new book, if you like." Said Khushi. Sheila scampered off before Arnav could protest.

"Me! Khushi! I don't read children bedtime stories. I might scare her so she can't sleep." He said, looking shocked.

"You'll be fine." Said Khushi, patting him on the shoulder lightly. "Put her to sleep, I'll make dinner while you do." Arnav looked truly frightened, as he made his way up the stairs.

Sheila was in bed, wearing light blue pajamas, the book open on her lap. She looked up at him and smiled. "Hi ASR!" she said smiled.

"Hello Sheila. Can I read you a story?" he asked, perching himself on her bed.

"I'm a really good reader. I could read you a story" she said.

"OK. Go ahead then. I'm all ears." He said, flashing the famous ASR dimples at her. No woman had ever been able to resist ASR's 100 watt smile that he reserved for special occasions, and Sheila was no exception. She blinked at him, then flashed him a big smile herself. "OK then. I'll start. Akbar was the greatest Mughal emperor to rule India. He had nine gems in his court, one of who was Birbal" ASR listened intently to her reading the story fluently and well. She stumbled occasionally on a difficult word and he helped her out. But mostly, she did very well. By the end of the second story, her voice was fading and her eyes were closing. "You're sleepy, honey" he said taking the book out of her hands.

"Tuck me in." she said sleepily. And so he did. He tucked her in securely, and got up to leave. "Mommy always kisses us goodnight" she said. He looked surprised at the request, then he smiled and leaned in to kiss her cheek lightly. She put her arms around his neck and kissed him back. He felt his heart leap at the feel of her baby warmth hugging him. It felt good. To be trusted by a child. He walked down to the kitchen with a goofy grin on his face. Khushi was in there, cooking away.

"Hello ASR. What makes you smile that big, wide smile?" she asked.

"Your daughter. She's a sweetheart." Said Arnav. Khushi smiled gravely. "Yes. Yes she is. Resolute little being, my Sheila." She said.

"Where's Nita? He asked.

"Still finishing her dinner. Nigel is watching over her patiently. Why don't you go have a look-see" she said. He walked to the dining room, now feeling very confident with his newfound child-care skills.  

The dining area was a disaster zone. There was Mac and cheese everywhere, including on Nigel's hair. Nita was banging her spoon on the high chair noisily, Nigel had a resigned expression on his face. "Wow! What happened here?" asked ASR.

"Nita. Nita happened here" said Nigel. He went over to Nita and picked her out of her high chair. "That's quite enough for today Miss" he said. Nita yelled her head off. She waved the spoon violently in his face, getting a whole wad of Mac and Cheese in his eye. He thrust Nita at ASR. "Here, hold the little spitfire. I have to wash my eye out."

"Hey! Hey! Nigel. Stop." But ASR was talking to the wind. He held Nita gingerly, a little away from him, as though he was afraid of holding her close. She was still bawling. He walked into the kitchen, hoping to hand her over to Khushi.

"Khushi, I don't do babies. Maybe, you should take her." He said, holding a wailing Nita to Khushi.

"OK. If I hold her, you can finish cooking." Said Khushi, holding out her arms for Nita.

"Cooking! I can't cook. I don't know anything about cooking." Said ASR, holding Nita away from Khushi now.

"Well, either you calm Nita down, or you cook. Your choice." Said Khushi.

"Tell me what to do for the baby." He said in a resigned tone.

"Well, clean her up first" said Khushi motioning him towards the sink. She threw some onions in a pan and began frying them. Arnav stepped toward the sink gingerly and opened the tap with one hand. He wet a tissue and patted her mouth dry. She cried like a banshee when the water touched her.

"Water needs to be warm" said Khushi, now throwing some asparagus in with the onions.

"Oh. Yes. Of course." Said Arnav, mentally cursing himself for allowing Khushi to talk him into this. He opened the hot water tap and tested the water before wetting another tissue. He wiped her face carefully. Once she was cleaned up, he started rocking her gently. She was still crying, but quietly now.

"Walk her up and down. She'll quiet down" said Khushi, now whipping up some Pasta.
He took her advice and started walking up and down the kitchen. She stopped crying pretty quickly. In about 10 minutes, she was asleep. Arnav was enjoying this now. Khushi's baby, asleep in his arms, as he walked her up and down her kitchen, while Khushi cooked dinner. He could get used to this, he thought.

"Hey Khushi!" he said to her. The bell rang. "Hold that thought ASR" she said, scurrying to the door.

"Hey Freddy! Hey Aadit! This is a surprise." She said, opening the door to let them in.

"Surprise! You told us to come!" said Aadit, in her ear as she hugged him. "Shut up Aadit. Pretend." She said, pinching his hand hard now. Freddy winked at her.

"Well, now that you guys are here, you may as well stay to dinner." She said.

"Oh! How nice of you Minnie. We'd love to." Said Freddy, always the consummate actor.

"I made Pasta." She said.

"Oooh! Minnie's famous pasta with Marinara sauce. I can't wait." Said Aadit, ruffling her hair affectionately.

"Hey Khushi! I think she peed on me!" said ASR, sounding not at all disgruntled as he walked into the living room with Nita cradled in his arms.

"Oh! Sorry. I guess her diaper must be loaded." Said Khushi, finally deigning to rescue ASR. She took Nita and walked away to change her.

"ASR! What a pleasant surprise." Said Freddy, holding out a hand. ASR took it.

"Hi Freddy! Hi Aadit! I stopped by to see if Khushi and the children were settled in." he said.

"Oh! Same as us then" said Aadit, not looking very friendly. He didn't offer to shake ASR's hand. "Maybe you should go wash up. You smell of pee." He said.

"Oh. Oh yeah" said ASR, walking to the room that had become his haunt in Khushi's house. The guest bathroom. When he got back, Khushi, Freddy, Aadit and Nigel were already at the dinner table. They were laughing at some story Nigel was telling. Aadit had his arm draped around the head of Khushi's chair. She leaned back against his arm and he placed it across her shoulder. She smiled and looked at him. "Thanks Aadit" she mouthed. He leaned across and placed a kiss on her cheek. ASR felt a flash of jealousy go through him. He tamped it down and walked to the table, pasting a pleasant smile on his face.

"OK Khushi. I'll be going now." He said.

"What! Oh! Stay to dinner ASR." She protested.

"No. No thanks Khushi. I came to meet your daughters, and I've done that. I should go. Di will be waiting. She doesn't eat dinner without me" he said quietly.

"Oh. Of course. Anjali will be waiting." Said Khushi, her face stiffening. She got up. "I'll see you to the door." They walked out together.

"Your children are quite lovely Khushi" he said sincerely. "I very much enjoyed meeting them."

"Yes. I'm sure you enjoyed getting spat on and peed on, and washing my baby to boot" said Khushi laughing.

"That too" said Arnav, laughing.

"Stay to dinner Arnav" she said, using his actual name.

"I can't Khushi. Not tonight." He said, very quietly. "Your friends are waiting for you. Go to them. Go, enjoy your dinner." He said. He walked away without turning around to look at her.

"Lunch tomorrow?" she called out to him.

He turned around and flashed her that 100 watt smile. "So, the Misses Gupta approve?" he cocked an eyebrow.

"What do they know? They're kids. Ms.Gupta, however would very much like to eat lunch with you tomorrow."

"I would be honored Ms.Gupta. Noon, tomorrow, at the Zodiac Grill?" he asked.

"It's a date." She winked at him. He flashed his dimples at her again.

"See you tomorrow Khushi" he raised 2 fingers as if to salute her and walked to his car, grinning. Khushi had called their lunch a date. He felt like he was 16 years old and about to go on his first date. He whistled as he started the car. The tune he was unconsciously whistling was "Iss Pyaar ko main kya naam doon."

Bouquets and brickbats welcome! (My personal preference is for compliments😉! I kid, I kid. I can take criticism too!)

AquaBluez17 thumbnail
Well I'm glad ASR has at least maintained some of his steel character lol
ashvez thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Vidhya...FAntabulous 3.👏👏👏 I enjoyed all the three chapters...but this one is favourite of the three.One ,because my heart had the painful ache after seeing the ME...towards the end, which kept me sinking & after reading ur update..I had a braod smile all over me.Two, I adored ASR...OH MY!!! I can picture him doing all the chores for the kids.It was such a family scene- Wifey Cooking & Hubby taking care of the kiddos.AWWW!AWWW! Just perfect.
I appreciate the way he refused politely for staying at Dinner- U haven't made him all hunky dorey over her, he had his ASR pride.I guess, that made Khushi like him more, to go on for a date.
Love it...Vidhya...LOve it.As I said I needed this dose after the ME.OH MY!! that was quite heart breaking.This week would be a downer.

Ash.
.Saraa. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
loved the update,too goood. So asr befriended with girls.liked that..liked girls liked him
alice54 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Hey truly loved this update...A PERFECT FAMILY is what i felt while reading the kitchen scene...finally Kushi did accept for the date😉...hope Arnav plans for more surprises for her...waiting eagerly for the next  update😊
-Saibo- thumbnail
That was awesome! Pm me pleased
desisweetheart9 thumbnail
Thanks for the PM. Loved it. Aww. the girls are so cute. Can't wait to see how the lunch goes. 
nyxx thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

This wasss wayy tooo good! Absolute treat to read youre FF always...and Im in love with ASR...like seriously! The way he handled Shiela and Nita was awesomee...and he definitely deserves the lunch date. and you know something, Im actually glad he didnt stay for dinner...its justified of his characterization. Cant wait for their lunch date..and id loveee more scenes of Arnav and the two gupta misses <3 oh and yes of course, loads of ArHi! lol

Continue soon :)

- Dee