Help needed...about Sathiya and Gopi...

malinn thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

There are largely 2 opinions about this serial:

1. Gopi should have a makeover...love story...Gopi's self-respect intact...Ahem will love Gopi for the change and not herself...
2. Love Story...Makeover...Ahem will love Gopi for herself in this case...Love as is...

Both have their own arguments...

Now here is the question:

Let us presume that Gopi is going to save the day (project here)...by making some simple speech which will TOUCH the hearts of the top guys...and Ahem will bag the project...

So, naturally, he will see Gopi with new eyes and think...HAILA...Respect...Surprise...Wonder.
(this is their formula ...but never with the above result... Dandiya / Cricket)...

Hmmm...

If, Ahem falls in love with Gopi for the above kind of situation...helping get the project... wherewould it fit in? ... Would it be Ahem falling in love with the real Gopi or would it be falling in love with her for the percieved benefit recieved?... Would it be mercenary and materialistic of Ahem to fall in love with her for winning the project? Fallin in love with a person FOR A REASON ... doesn't sound correct...

If Ahem SEES Gopi as this saviour and falls in love with her...is it acceptable?...Is it then falling in love with the real her????...Is it then Gopi that he would love or the "SAVING THE PROJECT" quality of Gopi that he would love?????...

When we say that Ahem must fall in love with the real Gopi...for her self without any change... without any makeover etc... then what must Ahem fall in love with?????...

I'll give another situation...Suppose there is a DRESS CODE...for the Project Party...and Gopi has to wear westerns...She looks drop dead gorgeous...And Ahem falls in love with her then...Would it be love for Gopi or would it be love for the change in her?...

It is a bit hazy...this line between loving a person as is...and then changing her...which is acceptable...

However...falling in love with a changed person...is not acceptable...?????

So, lets say, I have a classmate who loves me...but I am not really interested in this guy ...then we meet after a few years...Now he makes my heart go a flutter... I am totally in love with him...

But...hey...I am not in love with the real him...I am in love with the change...not acceptable...I only love him because he has changed... my love is not true...boo hoo...waah...

Am I getting lost in this maze called Sathiya?????

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ShellJA thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Hey Sonal,

I don't want Gopi to change a bit.  I want Aham to slowly see  what Gopi is really like and slowly fall for her.  I don't want her to change her style for him...only change if she wants to...I don't want her to learn English or to read and write for him...only do it if she wants to. 

There is no one event that will make Aham  fall for her but little things.  I think already Aham is on the verge of falling for her.  He has strong feelings for her but not willing to admit them.  This show is a classic old fashioned M&B type of story...he loves me..then he hates me...he says hurtful things and then he loves me.   

I don't think the contract is going make him fall for her.  He may soften a bit that is about it. 

Aham has made up his mind on what type of woman he wants and he is very stubborn and not willing to admit that he may be wrong and now wants her.  Koki is not help by pushing her on him!  If everyone left them alone they would been together by now.

However, I have learned that there is no point in over analyzing this show.  This is not a deep show with a lot of meaning to me.   I watch it totally for Goham and fast forward other parts.

SIP1997 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
@Shelly, nicely put totally agree, If Gopi does help him bag the contract, that will be not why he will fall in love with her, It will be just added to the positive column in his mind. He will start to remember this little things. I hope that he tries to know the real Gopi before he falls for her. He has long way to go yet. His attitude might change little.

Getting the contract and little bit of guilt for his part on her getting lost will may be soften his attitude towards her.
malinn thumbnail
Nice replies Shelly and sbp1971...
-Nafisa- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
When Aham falls in love with Gopi it will be  because his eyes are finally opened to her qualities that are uniquely her, yes materially benefits but remember his words are constantly she is not worthy, all the huddles she goes through is to prove she is that, this speech is another hoop she is having to jump through to pass the Aham test. He wants her to be perfect, no person is that, but he expects that of her. Because of her lack of education when she fails a small task he puts it down to that, we keep going back to the same thing again, she will have either get educated so that when she errors it's put down to just that, or something needs to happen to him to stop his prejudice on illiterates, injury to himself where he is totally reliant on her, the illiterate, for everything.
malinn thumbnail
Nafisa... You made some great points...

So... If after so many hurdles and tests... Gopi proves her worth and Ahem falls in love with her... Would that be love for Gopi as she is... The real qualitites that are so wonderful ... But which he has to sample and test each one before he falls for her...so, it is still that Gopi has to prove herself worthy of his love and attentions...

Again, this is an academic discussion ...
-Nafisa- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
malinn, It's a suitability test, most of us when we meet out spouse will see his or her suitability, Aham is doing this after marriage, because though he says his Mother can never do wrong his actions where the choice of Gopi as his wife saying the exact opposite, she needs to prove that she is suitable and can fit into his life, with his work, friends and home life. 

You have approached this discussion from whether Gopi has to change her own identity so she can pass the Aham test, but I think No she already has the qualities, Cricket (sweeping/batting) Dandiya (Observation of others doing the same and implementation), the friends test (on Aham's birthday) what do you reckon she failed that test right?😆

So as a spouse is she able to support him achieve his goals, Aham is ambitious remember, so definitely he wants a spouse which will benefit him in the long run, most people do, none of us want a liability as a spouse.

angelirebelli thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Great insight ladies...

@ malinn - "It is a bit hazy...this line between loving a person as is...and then changing her...which is acceptable...

However...falling in love with a changed person...is not acceptable...????? "

@lovtv - " don't want her to change her style for him...only change if she wants to...I don't want her to learn English or to read and write for him...only do it if she wants to.  "

My take - 
  • why should/would one need to change a person whom they love "as-is" ?? very hypocritical... therez no as-is here its all abt wht u can/cud b !!! no freewill, ur always being projected in the mind as "she cud b tht !!"
  • If a person is willing to change to be with u, honors u by saying "U r totally worth it" "u mean the world to me" n all thtz jazz - y is that not acceptable - this is no less than any other way to show love, respect, sacrifice and reflects on ur commitment, courage n confidence to carry it off. Mind  the other party is not expecting anything from u, this is all on ur own freewill, u get noticed cauz of ur efforts not cauz someone is constantly making an effort to bring the two of u together

malinn thumbnail
Wonderful angelribelli ...

It's a paradox... Anyways you look at it...

But, yes like you rightly said about the point Lovtv made... Change must be of the free will and it is a reflection of one's affections...
Relda thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Hi Malinn,

I am a silent reader of this forum and this is my first post. My mum watches this show religiously and I sometimes catch up bits of it while having tea with her. I never felt compelled to post on this forum because, frankly, my views are so radically different from the majority of the views expressed on this forum.

I agree a lot witht the views that you express and thought of making this post. I hope I do not ruffle ttoo many feathers.

I see a lot of the word "love" being bandied around. Kokila loves Gopi as a daughter, Gopi loves Ahem more than her life and so on. Does Koki really love Gopi or is this a challenge that she has taken up since her own mom pointed out that Ahem-Gopi are a failure as a couple. Before Nani came, Gopi was also abused, denigrated, thrown out of the house, disavowed in front of Ahem's colleagues.. in general treated like dirt of the lowest order. Why wasn't Kokila's maternal instincts stirred at those moments? Was Gopi less sincere or innocent during that phase or was her pain and dejection less piercing? Does a woman of Kokila's determination, sense of fairness and moral uprightness need another person to realise that she had done a grave injustice to both Ahem and Gopi by insisting on this marriage.. or is it that, like everything else in life, she hates to lose (in this case to Rashi who was rewarded by Nani) and is determined to be extra vitriolic to Rashi (without knowing the full details of Rashi's kaarigaaris) and prove that her choice of Gopi as Modi bahu was irreproachable.

Coming to Gopi's Love for Aham.. Is she in love with Aham as a person or Aham as a husband? If Aham was replaced by any other male character would she not have had the same outpouring of love and devotion for her husband? she hardly knows anything about Aham to be in love with his character..his intelligence and drive are sort of beyond her realm and she has only seen his disdain and contempt as regular emotions towards her. So, unless she is a masochist it is safe to say that Gopi's love is more towards the relationship that she is bound by towards Aham rather than Aham as a person. So why this insistence that Aham should love Gopi as a person. Shouldn't Gopi also start to know Aham better as a person too? And to do that doesn't she need to get a modicum of education and social etiquettes to fully appreciate and absorb Aham's intellect, habits, nature and emotions? Isn't it a reality that love needs a stable common ground for a meeting of minds and hearts?

Sorry for the long post and sorry if I offended any fans of this show.  
Edited by Relda - 13 years ago