Created

Last reply

Replies

17

Views

3k

Users

4

Frequent Posters

3R2RIHNRZ6NE2SX2 thumbnail
Posted: 20 years ago
#11

Originally posted by: jayc1234

OMG - I always thought that 'Mere mehboob na jaa' was Lata'ji! This is very interesting revelation for me... 😊
QWest'ji - can you enlighten us with Vani Jayram as well...?

Thanks for taking time to read this thread. Jayc1234 ji, here is a little story about this song,

I was a young boy sitting with my father and sipping his coffee from his Mug all in a sudden this Mere Mehboob Na Jaa Aaj Ki Raat Na Jaa (Nur Mahal, MD: Janibabu started in the Radio station call Bianca Geet Mala in 1970 and Dad introduce me to this great singer Suman Ji.

Edited by Qwest - 20 years ago
3R2RIHNRZ6NE2SX2 thumbnail
Posted: 20 years ago
#12

Hindi Movie Song

Singer(s)

joohee kee kalee meree laadalee

SUMAN KALYANPUR

Thehriye Hosh Main Aao

SUMAN KALYANPUR, MOHHAMAD RAFI

Zindagi imtihaan leti hai

DR. AVASTHI, ANWAR, SUMAN KALYANPUR

Haan Maine Bhi Pyar Kiya

MUKESH & SUMAN KALYANPUR

Na tum humen jaano

SUMAN KALYANPUR, HEMANT KUMAR

Tum jo aao to pyaar aa jaaye

MANNA DEY, SUMAN KALYANPUR

Naache Re Radha

ASHA BHOSLE, SUMAN KALYANPUR, CHORUS

Naa Tum Hame Jaano

SUMAN KALYANPUR - HEMANT KUMAR

na na na re na na

SUMAN KALYANPURI, MINOO PURSHOTTAM

Tumne Pukara Aur Hum Chale Aaye

SUMAN KALYANPUR, MOH. RAFI

Aajkal Tere Mere Pyar Ke Charche

MOHAMMED RAFI & SUMAN KALYANPUR

Behna Ne Bhai Ki Kalaai Pe

SUMAN KALYANPUR

Ajahuna Aaye Balama

MOHD RAFI, SUMAN KALYANPUR


Edited by Qwest - 20 years ago
luvmusic thumbnail
20th Anniversary Thumbnail Voyager Thumbnail Engager Level 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 20 years ago
#13
Thanks a ton for the info Qwest ji....
I thought many of the songs were by Lata...I always wanted to know abt the singer, after I heard couple of her songs under Ravindra Jain ji's music though!

Thankyou KB ji for the anecdotes.
3R2RIHNRZ6NE2SX2 thumbnail
Posted: 20 years ago
#14

Films like Pyaase Panchhi (Tumhi mere meet ho - a duet with Hemant Kumar), Shama (Ek jurm karke and Dil gham se jal raha…), Barsaat Ki Raat (Garjat barsaat sawan aayo..), Zindagi aur Khwaab (Na jaane kahan tum the… ), Baat Ek Raat Ki (Na tum hame jaano, na hum tumhe jaane), Dil Ek Mandir (Juhi ki kali meri laadli and the title song Dil ek mandir hai…), Jehan Ara (Baad muddat ke yeh ghadi…), Shagun (Parbaton ke pedhon par and Bujha diya hai khud apne haathon…), Jab Jab Phool Khile (Na, na karte pyar tumhi se), Dil Ne Phir Yaad Kiya (the title song Dil ne phir yaad kiya…), Modern Girl (Yeh mausam rangeen sama…) and several others became huge sensations.

BARSAAT KI RAAT

Movie Length : - Year : 1960
Certificate No : Type : U
Movie Type : Black & White Era : Talkies
Production : Shri Vishwabharati Films
Genre : Musical

Actor : Balam, Bharat Bhushan, Chandrashekhar, K. N. Singh, Khurshid Bawra, S. K. Prem
Actress : Madhubala, Mumtaz Begum, Shyama
Director : P. L. Santoshi
Female Singer : Asha Bhosale, Kamal Barot, Lata Mangeshkar , Sudha Malhotra, Suman Kalyanpur
Lyricist : Sahir Ludiyanvi
Male Singer : Balbeer, Bande Hasan , Manna Dey, Md. Rafi, S. D. Batish
Music Director : Md. Rafi, Roshan



Edited by Qwest - 20 years ago
3R2RIHNRZ6NE2SX2 thumbnail
Posted: 20 years ago
#15
MEMORIES: Omprakash Sonik, aka Omi, sits next to a picture of his uncle Manoharlal Sonik

A broad smile illuminates Omprakash Sonik's face when he says: "You won't believe it, but when I was a kid, I sang in a female chorus. In those days, anything was possible. The moment my voice changed as I grew older, I switched to a male chorus."

Better known as 'Omi', he formed part of the Sonik-Omi duo of music directors along with his blind uncle Manoharlal Sonik. The two debuted as composers in Dil Ne Phir Yaad Kiya, and the success of the film's music prompts Omi to speak at length about hit songs like Kaliyon Ne Ghoonghat Khole (Mohammed Rafi), Aaja Re Pyaar Pukare (Lata Mangeshkar), Are To Jal Jaoge (Asha Bhosle-Manna Dey) and the title track (Rafi-Suman Kalyanpur-Mukesh).

The movie, released in 1966, starred Dharmendra, Nutan and Rehman. "Before Dil Ne Phir Yaad Kiya, we had struggled for more than 15 years. We came to Bombay from Sialkot in 1948, and Sonikji became involved in Hindi film music," recalls Omi, as he sits near a photograph of his deceased uncle.

Omi says that while working as assistants for Roshan, they decided to adopt the screen-name Sonik-Omi. "People said that sounded like a good name for a team of music directors. While Sonikji retained his name, I used Omi because everybody called me that. When the Rawal brothers were looking for somebody to compose for their new film, they thought of us," says Omi.

According to the composer, the duo had sittings for almost one and a half months before recording Kaliyon Ne Ghoonghat Khole. "The lyrics were written by G L Rawal. In fact, the songs were written first, and the script was then written keeping the songs in mind. So when we composed music, we knew exactly what the situation in the film demanded," he says.

The songs were recorded at Famous, Tardeo. "While doing a title track, we were thinking of Rafi and Lata. But in those days, the two had had a big fight, and weren't on talking terms. So we chose Suman Kalyanpur," Omi points out.

The music director then narrates this rather interesting incident when Asha Bhosle came to record Are To Jal Jaoge. He reminisces: "We were playing the title song, and Asha thought Lata had sung it. So she asked when Rafi and Lata had begun singing together again. When we told her it was Suman Kalyanpur and not Lata, Asha said: "I felt it wasn't Lata from the way she sang the high notes."


The film's premiere was held in Delhi. "Dharmendra and Nutan were quite popular by then, but we were thrilled that our music got a great response too. In fact, one paper gave a headline that the real hero of the film was Sonik-Omi. This is because those songs had so much melody," says Omi.

Over the years, Sonik-Omi did films like Mahua, College Girl, Bhai Ho To Aisa, Saawan Bhadon, Umar Qaid, Do Chattane and Bindiya Aur Bandook. And though many of their later films didn't taste the same kind of commercial success as their debut, Dil Ne Phir Yaad Kiya remains a memorable experience.
Edited by Qwest - 20 years ago
3R2RIHNRZ6NE2SX2 thumbnail
Posted: 20 years ago
#16



Suman with Talat

Edited by Qwest - 20 years ago
3R2RIHNRZ6NE2SX2 thumbnail
Posted: 20 years ago
#17

Another evergreen Suman gem that I still love Another evergreen song of her Chale jaa chale jaa chale jaa jahaan pyaar mile (Jahaan Pyar Miley, 1969) Anyway, no matter how much we discuss and argue about her career, status, popularity, and opportunities, the fact is she was an excellent Singer and had a fairly illustrious career studded with several hits. She sang with almost all big composers of her time and handled her assignments and career moves well. She was also diplomatic and professional and never had any problem with anyone, as far as I know. She must be satisfied and happy with whatever she achieved in the face of such stiff competition from Mangeshkar sisters. She did her best and could not have done any better, and I am happy for her. I remember a black-white advertisement by HMV in Filmfare in late '70s. I guess it was about some to-be-released albums and it featured photographs of all great singers in a cluster. The singers were Rafi, Mukesh, Lata, Kishore, K.L. Sehgal, Suraiya, Asha, Geeta Dutt, Hemant Kumar, Manna Dey, Talat, Shamshad Begum, Mahendra K, and Suman. That HMV chose Suman as one of the singers for their tribute albums in those days bears testimony to her greatness and appeal.

Edited by Qwest - 20 years ago
3R2RIHNRZ6NE2SX2 thumbnail
Posted: 20 years ago
#18

India's melody queen regrets she never
take to classical singing

NEW DELHI, Mar 21: India's melody queen Lata Mangeshkar, who has sung over 20,000 songs and won more lifetime achievement awards than she cares to remember, has only one regret: That she did not seriously take

to classical singing.

Lata, who is receiving her Padma Vibhushan early next week from President K R Narayanan, says that this is the main reason why she has not taken a retirement from singing as she had once planned. In fact, she points out that it was her spiritual guru Shri Jammujee Maharaj who asked her to concentrate on classical singing.

In a two-part interview on the programme 'Ru-ba-ru' on Zee TV, the singer who has became a legend in her lifetime said that she now wanted to sing Srimad Bhagwat Gita, Kabir, Surdas, and Tulsidas. 'In my career, this is the only vaccuum which bothers me. If I would have started it earlier, it would have been better as it is very tough now, but I will try my level best,' she added.

Lata had begun singing at the tender of age of 13 when her father Pandit Dinanath Mangeshkar who ran a touring drama group died suddenly. Asked why she did not marry, she said 'I was so busy with my work that it never occurred to me. I had to take care of my nine-member family and i was slogging for that only. I am happy the way I am. I do not feel any loneliness'.

Lata denied that she had ever had any differences with her sister Asha or had impeded her career. She said 'if I had not allowed Asha to grow, how did she reach this position.'

She reiterated that she had helped new singers and had even given a song to Suman Kalyanpur after having rehearsed it. 'I know how good or bad I am. I know whether I harmed someone or not. Instead of denying these stories, I concentrate on My Pooja.'

About differences with music directors, she admitted that she was known as a 'Brawler' and often lost her cool. Adding that there were many reasons for these fights, she said she does not get angry any more.

She added that there were many difficulties about being Lata Mangeshkar. 'You need to tolerate a lot, you need to listen a lot. Sometimes I pray to my god that in my next birth I should not be Lata Mangeshkar. I prefer to be a boy born in any family of Maharashtra where I can lead a comfortable life.' (UNI)


Edited by Qwest - 20 years ago

Related Topics

Top

Stay Connected with IndiaForums!

Be the first to know about the latest news, updates, and exclusive content.

Add to Home Screen!

Install this web app on your iPhone for the best experience. It's easy, just tap and then "Add to Home Screen".