Stop Exaggerating Priya's Trauma!

poppy2009 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
I am yet to see today's episode, but writing this based on the update and other member's comments!

Priya now reminds me of the mythological character of Sage Gautam's beautiful wife, Ahilya from the 'Ramayana' who had turned into a stone after being cursed by her husband, who accused her unfairly of infidelity and loss of character, when she was merely a victim of Lord Indra's scheming.

Ahilya remained a stone for ages, till Shri Ram came and put his feet upon her and turned her back into a woman! The allegory meaning that, he was the only one who saw her purity and innocence and despite what rumors suggested of Ahilya, he went ahead and salvaged her life.

Coming back to Maryada, I really wish the creatives would not exaggerate Priya's trauma!

Fine, they want to present her as a hapless and innocent victim of gossip and societal prejudice, but no need to push it too much!

The whole bit about an auto driver recognizing her and neighbouring people supporting him in his ridiculous claim that she was flirting with him is overboard!

If the creatives are showing Priya's situation as being unbearable, only so that she is forced into a marriage with Aditya, they are messing up Priya's character and the story too!

I love Priya's character because it has a lot of quiet dignity to it...her pain is reflected in her eyes! There is no need to make her cry in every episode for making the audience explain of her plight!

Also, Aditya as a character is not going to become more of an audience favorite by showing him overriding the ghosts of Priya's past and still being in love with her! It is obvious that he is not the sort of guy who is affected by rumors and gossip...he is too self-involved for that in anycase! 😆

I personally felt the whole auto thing was way too exaggerated in yesterdays' episode. What do you guys feel?

PS : Gaziabad is a notorious place to live, but in no means, so small that auto drivers recognize random girls! Wondering what was it that happened with Priya, to earn her this sort of noterity?
Edited by poppy2009 - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Mru_bee thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Tendency of series is always to show the extreme... extreme emotions to make sure everyone gets the fact .. nothing is left to chance..

I am sure.. we are gonna be subjected to few more of Uttara's beatings along with Priya's humiliations in public ..

I just hope they dont change characters this early on in the series, just so that Aditya will be the hero always ( not that there is nething wrong with that) and Priya the abala naari.( everything will be wrong then)... 

-- Mru

.ayesha. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
i never have watch the rayman . but yeah if adi will get to know about priya's past and adi  might change his opinion about somethings but he love her and if u see that if priya didn't do something wrong then all is good. 
 yeah we will surely see some more beating up uttera and priya's humiliation.
priyankumupal thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Even though you do have a point....that the show is trying to exaggerate priya's plight, i must disagree with you slightly.....it is usual in society that if a girl falls from graces then she is stoned everywhere she goes. 

I have seen it happen to people in real life. specially in small towns news such as these spread like wild fire and it is often the people like taxi drivers and road side people who knows most about these things. It maybe a bit hard to believe that the taxi driver recognized Priya but it could be that her name and face came on the papers or on news so he recognizes her. people often feel very righteous when someone else is in trouble and often cast stones upon those people what ever chance they get.....this is why its being told by that a girl's virtue is something to be protected always....cos once reputation is lost nothing can bring it back.  

I think they are exaggerating the situation somewhat so that aditya can look more of a hero in comparison when he comes on his white horse to the rescue and priya falls in love with her Saviour.....but its not that far away from the reality as we may think. 
ek_aarzoo thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Based on the story so far and her flashbacks. I don't think that I agree with you. It appears that Priya has been raped by a cop but this reality has been hidden and a false story about her is circulating and she is silent because or her maryada.

Her situation is thus,

1. she was about to get married and was left at the alter. I also think that they guy she was going to marry had to do with what happened to her

2. It appears that she was raped by a person of power ( a cop)

3. a false story hit the media and people are being bad to her. emotionally torturing her, etc...

Rape is a very life altering thing for a woman to go through. Some are strong and some like Priya are trying to be strong but have to live with this trauma all in silence. This is topped with the false stories and being abandoned by the mans he was going to marry...

She has not received any counseling to deal with what happened and that is why she wants to kill herself because she can deal with it....

I don't think that there is any exaggeration to what she is going through emotionally

BUT... I do agree that the public humiliation is a a bit much but it's a drama and that is what they are doing...exaggerating the situation is what sends the message across to the audience
poppy2009 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
@ekaarzoo,

I was talking about the exaggeration of the physical side to Priya's trauma!

I totally agree that Priya's emotional trauma is not being exaggerated...if anything, the actor is doing a bang-up job of presenting her character's mental agony in a subtle yet emphatic manner!

But the whole public tamasha was a bit too much to digest! Is there really a need to show specific instances of Priya as the fallen woman who has no hope left in life? The fact that she tried to kill herself multiple times more than drives the point home, that she has a scarred past!

Am curious to know what happened with Priya! Your explanation seems very logical...whatever happened in her past turned her from a victim to culprit in front of the world and she cannot defend herself against it!

Edited by poppy2009 - 13 years ago
kvva thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I think we still don't know the situations  which Priya  went through. I feel it is not rape, but a much bigger humiliation slapped against her face because of her fighting spirits to fight the wrong. I think she has been badly framed into really bad allegations and it is been made really public.

I remember way back (4-5 years) a girl named Pratima  was murdered in Bangalore by the cab driver after rape while she was going form her house to the office, where she is working as transcriptionist (the persons who work in US timings). That name and I also think the photos came in the news paper was quite well known for some time. So, Priya's could be similar situation although in this case it is antisympathy   that lies with her.

The auto driver recognized her and is taking advantage of the situation.

Lets wait and watch the story as it unfolds..