Ladies Special: Media Center

Nikasha. thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago

Ladies Special:  Media Center

All articles, links, interviews, etc. pertaining Ladies Special and any of it's actors/developers go here.

- India-Forums Dev. Team

Edited by -Nikasha- - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Nikasha. thumbnail
A unique and interesting tale of four ladies is what Sony's upcoming show Ladies Special is all about which will see faces like Neena Gupta, Shilpa Tulaskar and Ashita Dhawan...

A new phase of programming will kick-start on Sony Entertainment Television from May 25th, in which the viewers will be catered to radical and fresh concepts, never seen before.

And here is Telly Buzz giving you exclusive news about one such show that the channel has in its kitty.

A daily soap tentatively titled 'Ladies Special', produced by Optimystix will come as a breath of fresh air with an interesting story line focusing on four ladies of different age groups.

According to our source, "The story focuses on the ups and downs in the lives of the four ladies; and their stories get interlinked as they travel daily in a particular train and meet each other in the Ladies compartment of the train. This will be a show which will have a mix of comic moments as well as serious gripping story line".

"The ladies will be of different age groups and essaying the eldest lady's role is popular actress Neena Gupta. Shilpa Tulaskar who was seen in Star One's Dill Mill Gayye as Nurse Padma will play the second lady, while Ashita Dhawan, popularly known as Maalti Bhabhi of Bidaai will play the third lady. The fourth person will be the youngest of the lot", explains our source.

Adding further, our source states, "Ashita will be seen in a different avtar. She plays a character named Bubbly Chaddha, and as her name suggests she will be a light-hearted character. Ashita will play a married working woman and will be seen in typical Punjabi get-up. Shilpa Tulaskar will be cast opposite the Marathi actor, Sandeep Kulkarni. Harsh Chaya has also been approached for a role in the show".

The show is all set to go on floors on 29th April, and the launch will take place after the revamp of the channel happens on May 25th. It will be a daily and will most likely get a prime time slot. The most interesting fact is that the show will see its end in six months, and will have a start-to-finish story line without being stretched for years.

We tried calling Vipul Shah of Optimistyx, but he was unavailable for comments.

We could not get any confirmation from the channel on this.  

For now, it's all about Sony's new slogan - Badal rahe hain aap, badal rahe hai hum....  

Neena Gupta: I am totally real

After quitting Kitani Mohabbat Hai, veteran actor Neena Gupta is back with the show Ladies Special (Sony TV), where she is seen portraying the role of Shubha Joshi. We caught up with Neena who told us more about the show, her character and the days when she too had to travel by train.

What is the show all about?
It is about four women and their common place to meet, the train. Shilpa and I are both working, the other girl has also started working and we keep meeting during our daily train journey. We all have very interesting lives with problems, tensions and happiness. It is a very well written program and we are doing it very realistically. I am sure people will connect with the show.

What inspired you to take up the show?
My role, which is amazing. Sanjeev (Sharma, producer) is an old friend and when he came to me with the project I found it so interesting. I simply couldn't say 'no'. After Saans, I feel it is very important and I am enjoying it. From Saans till now, I have done a few things but I didn't enjoy them. Now, I look forward to doing a show after 10 years!

Tell us something about your character.
I am playing Shubha Joshi. I have a Maharashtrian friend whom I took as inspiration for the character because I thought that Shubha was Maharashtrian. But now, I have been told that she could be anybody. In Mumbai, you say kanda batata for onion and potato. So when you live in Bombay, you tend to speak some Marathi. Shubha Joshi has the same habits. But mostly, the show will have Hindi dialogues.

Do you share any similarities with your character?
No, no similarity as such.

Tell us something about your look.
It is a very simple, plain look. The same as what you see in the posters and the promos. I'm totally real.

Have you ever traveled by local train?
Yes, yes' in fact, thousands of times during my struggling days. At that time, I had no money. I had to go and meet producers and by the time I had reached there, my haalat used to become very bad. I had problems using the train but I could not afford a car. Initially, I used to live in Bandra East and I could never make out which side was West and which was East. I'd get out at the wrong side and would have to climb back from the right side! The experiences were fun!

Does Ladies Special aim to give the entire country a feel of what the Mumbai locals are like?
Absolutely. We do what people do in a local train such as eating, picking up various things, reading newspapers. The other day, a junior artist told me 'Local train nain toh poora beauty parlor hota hai'. I told the director about it and he has promised to include it in the script. We have our dabbas and we'll be seen sharing our dabbas too on the train.

Will the story only concentrate on the lives of these four women?
I have shot for 10 episodes till now and there are scenes with even the junior artists. The junior artists also have dialogues. I did a scene where the whole ladies' compartment was involved. So we are not saying that you will only get to see four of us in a scene; many other ladies too will surround us.

Can four women really become such great friends on a train that they share each other's problems?
We are not showing the four of us to be very good friends. Till now, we haven't even all met each other. I have just met Pooja, who has many problems. For instance, Pooja is from Dhanbad and is new to the city. She takes a local train for the first time and is unable to climb due to the rush. So I pull her in and tell her to be careful about her purse and how to hold on to the handles. The situation is built in such a way that she becomes like my daughter and that's how I get close to her.

Off-screen, who do you get along with best?
We have only shot for 10 episodes and I haven't even met them often off-screen. I know Shilpa because she worked with me in Palchhin. I have been in the maximum amount of scenes with Pooja, so I know her too.

Ladies Special airs Monday to Thursday at 9:30 pm on Sony TV.

http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/May/News_20090526_105

We had earlier reported that Sony's upcoming show Ladies Special, produced by Optimistyx will have big names like Neena Gupta, Shilpa Tulaskar, Ashita Dhawan, Sandeep Kulkarni and Harsh Chaya in it.

The story is about four women of different age groups who interact with one another in the Ladies compartment of a particular train on a daily basis.

According to our source, "Payal Sarkar and Harsh Chaya will be paired together in the show. The duo will have an age difference of more than 15 years, and their story line will focus on the mindsets of both whom think differently, and are yet living together".

"This will be a prime time show which will be aired somewhere between 8.30 PM and 10.30 PM. The time slot has not been finalized yet", concludes our source.

The four ladies on which the story will be based are Neena Gupta, Shilpa Tulaskar, Ashita Dhawan and Payal Sarkar.

We tried talking to Sanjiv Sharma of Optimistyx, but he just said, "I don't think the channel would like me to talk about it. So wait for the official announcement".

Let's see what this Ladies Special has to offer the viewers'

Edited by -Nikasha- - 14 years ago
Koyel thumbnail
She's lovin' it
Neena Gupta on her comeback ride in Ladies Special

Neena Gupta is back on the beam, this time with Sony's new show, Ladies Special, the story of four women  played by Neena, Shilpa Tulaskar, Payal Sarkar and Ashita Dhavan  who meet on Mumbai's local trains. Neena plays an independent woman whose husband raises a storm in their 25-year-old marriage by admitting that he has another wife in his life.

What exactly did you like about your new serial Ladies Special?

After a long time, I feel that I have something concrete to do. It is an amazing role. When producer Sanjeev Sharma, an old friend, offered me this project I found it very interesting. Post-Saans I did a few things but didn't enjoy them. After Saans, I feel this is my most important project. I'm enjoying this show and look forward to doing such a show after 10 years.

What will your look on the show be?

I have based my character on a Maharashtrian friend. Initially, I thought that the character was a Maharashtrian but now I have been told that she could be anybody.

In Mumbai, you say kanda-batata for onion-potato. I'm from Delhi, and now when I go back there and I unconsciously refer to them as kanda-batata, everybody laughs. My character, Shubha Joshi, is like a Mumbaikar, who, without realising, lapses into Marathi at times. But mostly, she speaks in Hindi.

The show is on the life of four women  are they interlinked in some way?

The common meeting ground for these women is the Mumbai local trains. Each of us has an interesting and unique life, our individual problems, tensions and our reasons for being happy. It is a very well-written show, which has been shot in a realistic fashion.

Are you shooting on a local train?

We shoot on the set of a train; and once in a while on real trains.

Have you travelled by Mumbai's local trains?

Hazaar times, yaar.

What do you remember about travelling in local trains?

At that time, I was struggling and had no money. I had to meet producers but by the time I reached their office, my haalat was very bad; after the dhakka-mukki, paseena and all. I could not afford a car in those days. I lived in Bandra East but I remember I could not distinguish between the east and west side of the station. I would get out on the wrong side and then I would have to find my way back.

The serial's setting is familiar to Mumbai residents. But will viewers from the rest of the country get a feel of Mumbai's local trains?

Absolutely. The other day a junior artiste told me, 'Local train main toh poora beauty parlour hota hai'. I told the director about it and he has promised that he would include it in the script. We have our dabbas. I befriend a lady and bring breakfast for her.

Looks like the show is going to highlight everyday issues regarding women.

Yes. For instance, at times one misses the train and reaches home late and your husband presses your feet. In the serial, my daughter suspects her husband and comes over to our house. I discourage her from coming down if she has problems involving her husband.

Do train journeys foster strong relationships between strangers?

I will illustrate it with an instance ' one girl, Pooja, is from Dhanbad and it's her first trip on a local train. But she is unable to board it because of the rush. I pull her in and advice her to retain her purse and to hold on to the overhead handles. I become very close to her and we bond as if we were mother and daughter.

You are normally seen playing strong and serious characters.

I have done Shriman Shrimati also. In our industry an actor who does comedy always does comedy and one who does serious roles is only offered serious roles.

Does that bother you as an actor?

I feel horrible. Hamare yahan koi aisa concept hi nahin hai ki ek actor har prakaar ke role kar sakta hai, aur na kabhi hoga.

Why?

Because we are like that.

Koyel thumbnail
Ladies' Special has a man!

The day's television news in snippets

Showing 5 of 5 images Previous    Next

Ladies' Special has a man! 
Aman Verma enters the women dominated Ladies' Special. He will soon enter the show in a cameo role. He has already shot for one episode of the show.

The episode will soon be telecast. Aman plays the host of a lottery contest where he gives away the winning prize to Ashita Dhawan (Bubbly Chaddha) and that's how he enters the show

Nikasha. thumbnail
Ashita Dhawan's radio dreams

Ashita Dhawan, seen as Malti bhabhi in Bidaai and Bubbly Chadha in Ladies Special, visited two radio stations to promote the latter show recently. Ashita spoke to us in detail about her experience of being live on Radio Mirchi on June 23.

Radio Mirchi's programme, Ashita says, was a lot fun. There was a contest held on the show Dheemi Local in honour of Ashita's visit. She adds, "It was a live show. RJ Sana was there and I cannot describe what a wonderful experience it was. I got to interact with listeners as the station had a contest based on me. They asked listeners 'Ashita's character of Bubbly Chadha is from which show?' and within five minutes RJ Sana was flooded with answers. It was amazing."

The experience was all the more fun because Ashita has always harboured dreams of becoming an RJ. She says, "Since I am a very talkative person, my friends would always tell me to become an RJ. I would actually enact my lines as an RJ in front of the mirror. If I hadn't become an actor, being an RJ would have been a serious option for me. An RJ does a lot of multitasking. You have to have presence of mind while interacting, because a caller can ask you any question and you have to give them an answer without delay."

The actress dreams of having her own radio show one day, saying, "I would love to do a show on a regular basis. It would be mixture of Hindi and English. I will interact in both languages and play Hindi and English songs. I have good taste in music."

Ashita was also interviewed by Radio City the day before yesterday. She says, "Radio City's interview was not that exciting because it was recorded. I went there, they recorded my interview and that was all. We finished in 15 minutes and I met RJ Jayram.

She was not well recently yet she still shot for her serials. She says, "I had fever but I believe that there is no market for an actor's sorrows in the industry. I was shooting for a sequence in Bidaai where I had to be happy but, as I had a temperature, my eyes were watering. My director understood that it was not my fault but I still had to shoot. Thankfully, for the next scene, I had to cry!"

Ashita was even ill during her visit to the radio stations but says she forgot about all her ailments and was in a great mood once she was in the studio.

http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/June/News_20090624_97

• Sonali Joshi/Hill Road Media
  • Wednesday, June 24, 2009