Anashah1980 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Kahaanieco-friendly Ganesha Ki
Kahaani eco-friendly Ganesha Ki
12 Sep 2008, 0058 hrs IST, GITA HARI

Sumeet Raghavan (TOI photo)
How can we avoid polluting the environment, our beautiful lakes and water bodies from clogging with the innumerable POP idols of Lord Ganesha after immersion?

Television stars come up with some of their suggestions to save the earth...

SUMEET RAGHAVAN
Till last year it used to be at my in-laws' place but this year I am celebrating Ganesh Utsav at home. I am all for an eco-friendly celebration. We will be doing puja of a silver idol of the Lord along with a supari (betelnut) and after one-and-a-half days, we will immerse the supari and keep back the idol. This way I feel you do not pollute the sea or the environment.

TWINKLE BAJPAI
I do visit Ganpati mandals for darshan. I strongly suggest that people go for metal idols which can be reused every year. For instance, small gold murtis can be given a new look every year by decorating it differently.

KIRAN DUBEY
I recently participated in a young environmentalist programme by Elsie Gabriel in Powai. We made some small and beautiful clay Ganesha idols. I believe in 'youth power', and it is us who need to teach the young to cultivate the right environmental habits through our actions!

KUSHAL PUNJABI
Go for non-toxic and easily soluble materials for the idols. Instead of each and every nuclear family bringing in an idol to worship, it would be much better if everyone from a family tree gathered to worship at one house. This would cut down on the number of idols immersed.

ARZOO GOVITRIKAR
I believe in small idols made out of mother earth that are easily soluble in water. If each one makes an effort, every drop in the ocean counts so let's network to come together to save our earth and its resources together.

ANOOP SONI
Avoid personal Ganesha celebrations and attend Sarvajanik or building society's Ganesha festivities. To nurture our belief, we can always pray at home. It will also reduce traffic jams, noise pollutions and immersion hassles.

MUNISHA KHATWANI
One must be environmentally conscious. It is preferable to use Shaadu Maati that dissolves easily in water.

ROSHNI CHOPRA
Ganesh festival sets the mood for revelry and I don't mind the naach-gaana which is a part of Mumbai's culture. Only I wish idols made of bio-degradable papier mache is used to avert pollution hazards.

var imgid = '3472074';var capt = 'Sumeet Raghavan (TOI photo)';var cnt='1'; var ttl='Sumeet Raghavan'; var b1=""; if(cnt > 1){ b1 = ''; } var b2 = '
'+ capt +'
'; bellyad.innerHTML = b2 + b1;

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

theaisha thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 15 years ago

Thanks !