omgggg wowww awesumm!!! 👏 👏
loved itt
cnt wait
continue soon 😃
--arti-- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 15 years ago
Thanks Ridzie and Shaz!

Posting a new part now. And ridzie I'll PM you, too. :)
--arti-- thumbnail
CHAPTER 13
Sparks

Maithili tugged at her heavy-beaded necklace that hung over her black, collared shirt. She crossed her legs, slightly stretching her grey pencil skirt. She impatiently glanced at her watch every few minutes. Maithili was talking to Nivedita, one of the new assistants in SAG, updating her on some of the tasks that needed to get done. Just as they were finishing up, Maithili's phone rang. Nivedita nodded and left her office.

She glanced at the display and her heart raced. It was Adi. They talked about their plans for dinner that evening, and eventually finalized that Adi would pick Maithili up from her house. After they hung up, Maithili started to feel restless again. She buried herself with work and tried to concentrate, but her thoughts kept drifting back to Adi. Ever since their conversation last night, where she had pretty much admitted her growing feelings for him, she had felt unusually restless. She felt light, but also restless; excited, but also a little scared about the future. Just then, she heard a knock on her door. It was Shruti Mehra.

"Aunty? I mean, ma'am, what's the matter?"
"Maithili… do you want to have lunch together? Let's go to the Oberoi, you like it there na? And since Adi's office is also in Nariman Point, I was thinking we should invite him, too.
"Okay." She nodded her agreement, and before she could say much, Shruti gave her a quick smile and walked away, saying that she'll call Adi and ask him to meet them there.

Tanu and Gauri were trying on dresses at a clothing store for a party they were attending next week. Tanu was busy giving a breakdown of the latest fashions to Gauri. She picked out a dozen or so dresses and pushed Gauri into a fitting room. She then walked backwards and unknowingly crashed into someone. It was none other than Percy Wadia. When she realized it was him, she quickly became silent and crossed her arms. Percy grinned at her.
"Hello, Tanu Mehra. I see you have once again run into me, and let me guess… wait, don't say it. You're about to scream at me for it?"
She quietly rolled her eyes, keeping her arms crossed and her body still. Percy was amused.
"Tanu, what's the matter? No screaming? You're not yourself today. Bimaar ho kya? Poor thing!"
"Excuse me," Tanu said sternly and started to walk away when Percy grabbed her arm. In the same way he had done it in the music store. And it had the same effect on her. This time he didn't turn her around. Instead, he moved forward towards her back till his lips were almost grazing her ears.
"Kahin aisa na ho ki Tanu Mehra ki bolti band kar di is bandwaale ne?"
She remained still, exhaling sharply. She made an effort to release herself from his grip, but his hand enclosed her arm even tighter. He continued softly talking into her ear.
"Don't think I didn't notice you looking over at my direction during the dance program." Tanu's face went red.
"I was not looking at you, idiot," she said through gritted teeth, briefly donning a fake smile when a sales attendant walked past them.
"Oh really? To kya tumhaare rishtedaar baithe the wahan?"
"For your information, yes, there were. The parents of my best friend, who was dancing. They were sitting…"
"Shh," he said into her ear. The warmth of his breath made her feel really warm all of a sudden. "Enough excuses," he continued, "I know you were looking at me. I caught you doing it. Waise I know you can't help it…I seem to have that effect on girls. Ab tum to gayi kaam se."
He let her break free from his grip, and she turned around to face him. He had the same grin on his face.
Tanu pointed a finger in his face, "Shut up. If you think that even for a second that your stupid so-called charm has an effect on Tanu Mehra, you are wrong."
"We'll see about that," he replied smugly and winked at her. Tanu rolled her eyes as he walked away. She turned around to face Gauri, who had seen the whole thing with raised eyebrows and a smile.

Shruti and Maithili were being seated at a table where Adi had already been waiting for them. His eyes ran across the room and rested on her frame. He smiled at her, focusing his attention on how beautiful she looked in her stylish business clothes. The sleeves of her shirt were rolled up, and on her right shoulder rested a red leather tote bag. The heels of her shoes briskly hit the ground with determination. She finally glanced at him, smiling broadly with a genuine happiness.

After they had been seated, Adi felt even more preoccupied with thoughts about Maithili. He craved to go closer to her, touch her hair, hold her hand, kiss her…

They finished ordering food, and Shruti began to talk. She told them that they had done a good work with the arbitration, and that she was happy things had gone smoothly. They casually discussed the legal issues, and then the conversation drifted to more mundane talk. Just then, Shruti's cell phone rang and she excused herself. Maithili saw his hands reaching for her hand, she gave him a naughty smile and moved her hands away from the table.
"Stop teasing me, Maithili," he said.
She made a dramatic pout and playfully tilted her head, "poor Adi…"
He narrowed his eyebrows at her with a smile still on his face. He was thinking about all the things he wanted to do to that pout and his mischievous grin reappeared.
Shruti returned to the table around the time the food came.

"Sorry you two, something urgent just came up, so I've asked for the bill and got them to pack my food to go. You two stay and enjoy lunch," she said, signing to pay for lunch. "And Adi, would you drive Maithili back to SAG? We came in my car and I'm leaving now."

Maithili turned around to wave bye to Shruti, and as she turned around, she found Adi had leaned across the table. Before she could react, a soft kiss landed on her nose. She was surprised, and instinctively averted her eyes. "You could've waited at least till your mother left, you know."
"I did," he said cheekily.
She smiled at him and without realizing it, her hand reached towards him and gently pushed away the hair on his forehead. He pulled her hand in his hand, and brought her fingers to his lips.
"And I'm even luckier," he said with his eyes closed, gently kissing her fingertips one by one.
Their eyes affectionately wandered across each other's faces as if they were gently stroking one another's face.

They ate their food mostly quietly, feeling a little bit awkward at their newfound freedoms with one another. At one point, Adi asked Maithili if she wanted to try some of his food, and without even thinking about it, he held some food on his fork for her. At this, she gave him a smile that lit up his heart.

After they finished, they walked back towards where Adi had parked his car. Adi put his hands on Maithili's waist and pulled her towards him. "Slow down Maithili, what's the rush?" She looked around nervously. They were pretty much the only people in the garage, but she still felt shy. She turned around and tucked her hands into his coat's pockets. Then she gazed up towards his expectant face and kissed him. And then…there it was, the kiss they had waited for. The kiss they almost had five years ago. And the kiss that dogged their shadow for all these past days. The kiss that just couldn't wait to happen. Adi and Maithili both finally submitted to its pull. They kissed sweetly at first and with increasing passion. Adi cupped her face in his hands as he pulled her into himself. Maithili lost herself deeply in their kiss. Her hands left his pockets and roamed up his chest, towards his neck, his hair.

Without neither of them wanting it, they slowly pulled away from their kiss. More to breathe than anything else. He stroked her flushed cheeks with his hands. Then they reluctantly resumed their walk towards his car.

When he dropped her off at SAG, he kissed her again in the car.
"Can't wait for dinner."
"Me too."

As Maithili walked out of the car and entered the building, Shruti watched from her office window.

Maithili stood in the shower daydreaming about Adi. He was due to pick her up for dinner in an hour. She told Kamal to let her know if Adi gets here and jumped in the shower to relax before geting ready since she came home from work late. Kamal had teased Maithili about Adi, and then settled into his evening chai while flipping a magazine.

As she showered, she lifted her face up to the water and felt its warmth rush at her. Kissing Adi felt so good. Maithili knew that the ground beneath her feet was no longer stable. Now that they had kissed and accepted each other's feelings, things would never be the same again. As excited as she was about those changes, she was also still worried.

She stepped into a semi-casual mauve halter dress and dull silver strappy heels. Then she combed through her wet hair, making an effort to dry it before it started getting tangled. Just as she was combing, Adi knocked on her door. She opened it, asking him to come in. He stood at the doorway looking at how gorgeous she looked. "Maithili, you are to die for," he said as he approached her and threw his arms eagerly around her. "I was starting to miss you already." And then he looked up glancing around her room. "So what do we have here? Maithili Aggarwal ka kamra. I wonder what secrets lay here," he said, giving her a teasing look.
"Actually," Maithili said with a sudden realization. "Hang on."
She knelt to the floor and pulled out the box of old journals. They sat on her bed and she showed him the few pages she had seen earlier. He skimmed through those pages. "Damn, you really hated me in college." He looked slightly hurt.
"Adi, I thought I did. Or I wanted to convince myself I did. And you were doing the same, don't forget." She linked her hand with his. "And don't you think it says a lot that you featured so much in my journals?"

He smiled at this. Then he went back to a page in the journal where she describes how he had cornered her against the wall. "Aha, what do we have here," he said before reading out loud the part where she described the way she felt something indescribable when he touched her. "And what does it feel like now?" he said, inching closer to her, pushing her onto the other side of the bed and leaning against her, careful not to rest his weight upon her. She let out a soft shriek of surprise, "Adi…"
No sooner than she uttered his name, Adi pressed his lips against hers. His hands were tangled in her soft and still slightly wet hair. She rested her hands on his shoulders. They felt an incredible comfort in the warmth between them. The level of comfort was only paralleled by the intensity of the passion that stung them.

When they heard Kamal Aggarwal's footsteps approaching, they got up and got ready to leave for dinner. Kamal told them to make sure they stay out very late, then Kamal quietly said in Maithili's ear, "and you give me a full report of your date in the morning!"
Edited by --arti-- - 15 years ago
Sadia87 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
aww mets' dad is so cute!! 😳
😛 Great update!!...luv the cute scenes between Adi and mets'!!
Is there going to be a twist in the story?!? 😕 cuz right now everything is going great!!...not that im complaining or anything 😆 ..but just asking!
-aweshome_moi- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Awwww,wht a sizzling chapter,tht was!!😳...AM are too cute and naughty!!😆😳..and I like Kamal,too;he always works as some match-maker!!😆😳..Wonder if Shruti knows abt AM??😳..Me can't wait to read their first date-it would be super-cute,I'm sure!!😳😳

Please,cont.soon!!😃
--arti-- thumbnail

Originally posted by: sadizzle

aww mets' dad is so cute!! 😳
😛 Great update!!...luv the cute scenes between Adi and mets'!!
Is there going to be a twist in the story?!? 😕 cuz right now everything is going great!!...not that im complaining or anything 😆 ..but just asking!

Thanks Sadizzle! It's coming up in probably the chapter after next.. I just am delaying it because I feel so bad for A-M!! but seriously, I just want things to develop enough to the point where if something happened, it would have a really tragic element to it! So hang on for some upcoming drama, I guess. 😛

Originally posted by: ~*~A~*~

Awwww,wht a sizzling chapter,tht was!!😳...AM are too cute and naughty!!😆😳..and I like Kamal,too;he always works as some match-maker!!😆😳..Wonder if Shruti knows abt AM??😳..Me can't wait to read their first date-it would be super-cute,I'm sure!!😳😳

Please,cont.soon!!😃

Thanks, hun! Yeah, Kamal is a matchmaker! As for the date, I am not sure how much in detail I will cover their next date, but it will be more about the post-date stuff! Shruti has a hint about AM but I haven't revealed yet how she really feels about it. 😕
Larae thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
absolutely brilliant i loved it so much when i was reading it i couldnt stop blushing both adi and mets are so cute and cheeky too they are so naughty and maithilis dad is like wow when i was reading this i was like i wish my dad was like that i cant believe he was teasing mets about adi if i was going out with someone my dad would have killed me in not allowed to go out with anyone 😭 anyway back to the ff 😆 i really enjoy reading it plz continue soon 😃

love
mehar 😃
tsamhita thumbnail
*jumps in joy!!* you updated 😛 😆 i loved this chapter..AM chemistry is just tooo good! its sizzling hot! 😳 😛 the both of them are just made for each other 😳 ...hmm wonder weather Garima will show up at Adi-Maithili's date

Tanu and percy chemistry is so.. 😳 😳 i want to see how the bandwala affects the brat 😉 😆
--arti-- thumbnail
CHAPTER 14
The evil eye

Kajal stuffed her clothes into her bag. Not knowing how to react to anything, she suddenly panicked about her trip and started pulling out a sheet of paper and listing everything that needed to get done before she left. She rummaged through some bills in her purse and pulled out a train ticket to Dehradun for that evening. Then she returned to stuffing some more things in her bag. Then it struck her. She had no plan. She had no timeline of how to deal with things. How to deal with her relatives. What would happen now to the school? How could her uncle just…die like this? Was he really gone? Kajal suddenly burst into tears.

Percy, who was helping her pack, ran into the room when he heard her sob.
"It'll be okay, Kaaj," he said, hugging her.
She withdrew with a forced determination. "Yes. It will be okay."
She took a really deep breath. Then broke down again in a matter of a few minutes, thinking of how it really wouldn't be okay.
Percy sighed desperately at how helpless he was to do anything for his friend. Her she was already depressed over how things didn't work out with Adi. She was barely beginning to deal with that pain when her uncle passed away while trying to sell their land in Dehradun. Now it came upon her to go to Dehradun where her distant relatives were, to properly perform his final rites. And then she would have to go and sort out the legal issues related to the property. Then the school in Mumbai… her job, everything. Percy could sense how burdened she felt. He looked at Kajal with concern, drew in a sharp breath, and announced his sudden decision.
"I'm coming with you."
"But Percy, what about your band, all the shows you've booked?"
"Kajal I can't be happy with myself over here after letting you go alone and manage all this yourself."
She looked unconvinced. "But why should you…"
He interrupted her by walking to her with his finger on his lips, motioning her to be quiet.
"Don't argue with me Kaaj, just let me come. You really could use a friend, you know. And if not for anything, I'll at least be able to help with the funeral arrangements and all of that stuff."
"Okay, thanks Percy. I am so lucky I have a caring friend like you."
He smiled that she relented. He then helped her pack the rest of her things, then headed over to his house to pack his belongings.

An hour later, he was nearly almost packed in his house. As a last minute addition, he picked up an acoustic guitar from his collection of instruments and placed it near his bag. Then he looked over at his roommate Vikas, who was still absorbing everything Percy had told him.

"So how old was he? And how did he die exactly?" Vikas wondered out loud.
"I guess he was almost in his 60s. Heart attack. Poor man was dealing with a really messed up situation with their family land dispute. I guess his relatives in Dehradun weren't much help, either." Percy continued after a pause. "If I send Kajal to deal with this alone, I may never see her alive again. She's already really unwell, and I thought she was beginning to get better recently, you know…"
Vikas nodded sympathetically. He offered to cancel Percy's booked shows for the rest of the week.
"Make sure you call me when you get there, man, and keep me updated on things," Vikas said, grabbing his friend for a quick hug.
"Yeah, thanks man."

Percy rushed out with his things, walking in the hopes of hailing a taxi. He had left his motorbike with Vikas. No point in taking it and parking it in Kajal's house. Just as he was about to get into a taxi, he suddenly remembered that Kajal hadn't eaten anything all day. He went to a nearby bakery and ordered some pav bhaaji to go. It was her favourite.

Adi and Maithili were walking towards Adi's car. They were returning from dinner at one of Mumbai's newest French restaurants. It had been filled with beautifully dimmed light, ceramic chandeliers, and lovely violin and cello musicians playing melodious tunes. At one point, he grabbed her hand to pull her to the middle of the floor, where they danced for a few minutes. Awkwardly at first, but then stepping into a wonderful sync that everyone noticed. The music reached a crescendo and their pace quickened. Then it all came to a stop, and Maithili and Adi's movements came to a graceful end. Other couples had been watching, captivated by something that seemed so right about this couple. It wasn't just that they danced beautifully. In most accurate terms, their dance was probably average. Maybe above average in some parts. But it was about the picture of love they exuded beyond the dance steps. They seemed…right. Standing in the middle of a darkened dance floor, with a small shaft of light hitting their heads, making their heads gleam, they had swayed with an unwavering attention to each other. They way they looked at each other could have grabbed anyone's attention. Anyone who notices such things. And after all, the air of the restaurant was romantic and it was full of other couples. And so, everyone noticed. At the end of their dance, they faced a gentle but honest applause from them. And Adi had kissed Maithili's eyes, using an appropriately lovely gesture of affection to end their naturally, almost biologically, divinely coordinated dance.

They were now in the car. Adi turned off the CD which was playing earlier, and preferred the mental replaying of the music they danced to. She was also still caught up in the same music.
"Maithili," he began gently, bringing her out of her trance. "I'd like you to choose from two options in front of us at the moment."
"Yes?"
"Option one is me dropping you off at home. Option two is me taking you to the house. It would be nice to spend some time to chill at the house."
She smiled at his discreet attempt at officially "introducing" her as someone-different-from-what-she-was-yesterday to his family.
"Let's go to the house."
He knew she would pick that option.

When they entered the Mehra house, they found Shruti and Tanu lounging and eating ice-cream. Ashu's attentions were held by the TV screen. Maithili suddenly felt shy going in front of them. You're being stupid, she told herself. You know these people very well, and this is certainly not the first time you're coming to this house. Yet, she slightly averted her eyes with shyness when Shruti hesitantly looked in their direction.
"Oho, where have you two been?" Tanu spoke first.
"How was dinner?" Ashu joined in. "Is that new restaurant any good?"
"Why Ashu? Planning on asking Gauri to go there with you?" Tanu teased him. "Shut up, Tanu," came the instant reply.
"Anyway…" Adi took over, walking towards them with Maithili close to him. Their arms brushed as they walked, and they were obviously at ease with this contact. It was casual, unalarming, completely natural. To everyone except Shruti. Shruti felt a slight discomfort at seeing them together like this. She tried not to show it. Maithili sat next to Tanu and Adi sat next to Shruti.
Tanu offered some ice-cream to Maithili. "Thanks Tanu, but I'm quite full."
"I'm sure you two already had dessert. Special dessert of loooove." Maithili blushed and playfully elbowed Tanu. "Okay, okay…" came the response.

Shruti glanced over at Adi's face and sensed that he was also slightly embarrassed by Tanu's comment. He was blushing. She was not used to seeing her son like this, and this had the effect of increasing her discomfort. Suddenly she felt like being protective of him. She hadn't felt like that in years. She then thought back to the last time she might have been protective of him, and it was definitely years ago. Ever since Adi reached the age of 20 or so, Shruti had stopped checking him over the details of his life. And in the 7 years since he turned 20, Adi had more or less taken care of his own problems. In fact, she came to depend on him more than he depended on her. And of course, she had also seen him with a string of girlfriends…that had slowly decreased in numbers over the years. So why am I feeling protective right now, she wondered to herself. Something about Maithili and Adi made her feel uncomfortable, and she couldn't figure out why. She tried her best not to show it as she also participated in the group's casual conversation.

"Hey Bhaiyya, can Maithili also come with us to Mussoorie when we visit Dadu and Dadi?" Tanu suddenly asked. Ashu and Adi looked at Tanu, noticing the obvious disappearance of her former dislike for Maithili. Shruti was annoyed.
"Yeah Maithili, why don't you come? We're leaving on Wednesday, in 3 days, and we'll be there for about 2 weeks." Adi added. Adi was glad Tanu had started the topic. He didn't want to sound too eager to spend time with Maithili.
Shruti also nodded at Maithili when Adi asked her to join them.

Parvati and Suyash Mehra lived in Darjeeling for most of the year, but also spent months together at their farmhouse in Mussoorie. It was a beautiful place, and the religious Parvati also liked the fact that it was close to Rishikesh, which was known for holy pilgrimage. Nobody in the rest of the family was as religious as her, but she often managed to pull at least Suyash into visiting temples with her.

"So what do you say, Metz?" Ashu asked.
"Sure, just have to make sure I take care of some stuff at work before I come," Maithili replied.
Shruti had to say something here. It would look bad if she didn't.
"Don't worry about all that stuff, Maithili. Nivedita will take care of things. You deserve a vacation. In fact, why don't you ask your papa to join us as well? It'll be nice." Shruti said. She still felt unsure about how she felt about Adi and Maithili's new relationship, but she would try to warm up to it.
"Sure, I'll ask him," she replied.

Maithili soon said her goodbyes to everyone as she and Adi got up.
"Aye haye, kisi ki nazar na lage," Tanu melodramatically quipped as Maithili and Adi got up in a pair. Without knowing it, Tanu had recognized something fated in that instant. But she didn't know that now. And Adi and Maithili were certainly blissfully unaware of it.

Adi drove her home and dropped her off. They kissed good night. By now their kisses became comfortable, almost like a body language they always knew. Maithili walked into her house, noticing that Kamal had thankfully gone to sleep, and went into her room. She felt like she was floating in air. She really was falling for Adi, and how badly. Did she love him? No, too soon to think in those terms, she told herself. But she felt an immense trust, comfort, and happiness around him. She also felt good about his family. She let herself enjoy this happiness without asking herself a billion questions. But still, a few things tugged at her from the back of her mind. She also felt like she was risking getting hurt. There was no going back from all this, she knew. She knew things would happen quite fast. But for now she put those thoughts to rest. "Have to ask papa to come with us to Mussoorie," she made a mental reminder to herself and went about getting ready for bed.

The clock ticked. Probably, like they always say in old British novels, some owls were surely hooting off in the wilderness far away from Mumbai city. Probably a ton of clichd foreshadowing techniques could be used to ring alarms about the changes that were about to happen. But to put it in utterly simple words, just as casually as the clock was ticking, other casual facts of reality were factoring into newer and newer developments in the lives of Maithili and everyone around her. Love was one of those facts. Another fact was the mere distance of 34 km between Dehradun and Mussoorie.
Edited by --arti-- - 15 years ago