Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Larae thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
loved it as usual i loved it when maithili just ran and hugged adi i was like awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
how cute i couldnt stop blushing 😳 plz continue soon lolz do i really need to tell you to continue you do it withount people even telling you to thats the best thing about reading reading your ff 👏 👏 👏 you are an awesome writer 👏 👏 👏

love
mehar 😃
--arti-- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Aw thanks, Mehar. I think it's so sweet of you guys to actually read my FF! Hope it stays entertaining! 😳

-arti
--arti-- thumbnail
CHAPTER 12
A bug called love

She pulled her car into the Mehra driveway. The entire drive back from the dance program, Ashu and Maithili had talked about how good Gauri's performance was. At the end of the performance, they had all gone backstage to congratulate Gauri. Using some made-up excuse, Tanu and Maithili purposely left him alone in her dressing room. They cracked jokes outside for a few minutes before joining them again. Gauri was blushing when they had walked in. Tanu wanted to stay back and help her undress and pack up, so she said goodbye to Ashu and Maithili.

Maithili and Ashu were sitting in the Mehras' kitchen now, sipping some hot mint tea.
"You know, when she did that circular movement in the white dress, your face pretty much glowed, Ashu."
He smiled shyly.
"It did!" she continued with a grin. "You really like her, don't you?"
"Yeah. I do. I don't know why it's so hard to…"
"Go further?" she completed his thought. He nodded.
"I know what you mean," she said with a twinge of sadness. She was thinking about herself and Adi. Ashu knew that that's what she was referring to.
"Maithili…if you don't mind me asking, what do you think is holding you back? With Adi, I mean."
"I wish I knew, Ashu."

She continued after a moment.
"Sometimes I think it's because I don't want to jeopardize my friendship with him, or my work relationship with Shruti aunty…but it's something more than that. When I was growing up, I always had to be careful not to show my loneliness or pain around my father. I guess it would've just hurt him too much. He was so conscious that I didn't have a mother, or any siblings, you know. But in trying to protect him, I think I developed a really bad pattern of turning all my vulnerabilities inward. It's just so difficult to let someone in, even if that someone happens to be Adi."
She stopped, surprised, suddenly realizing she was talking a bit too much.
"Sorry, Ashu. I'm rambling…"
"No, no. I was just thinking that I really relate to what you said," Ashu said. "I mean, I live with my mom, brother, sister, and it's great, but I've always actually really been alone, in a sense. Maybe it's just that the stuff I do is so different from what everyone else in the house is into. Mamma likes her social work stuff, Adi likes his business, and Tanu…well, Tanu is a kid. It's pretty hard for me to let people in, too. I guess I have just always been a shy and quiet guy, completely the opposite of Adi."
Maithili smiled at the mention of Adi. "Adi is…he's so sure of himself, of what he wants. I almost envy that. I think I always envied that about him, even when we were in college."

"You know, Ashu, we used to hate each other in college."
"Really?" he chuckled.
"Yes. Immensely. We never got along…but things are so different now. And also a lot more complicated."
He nodded.
"Gauri is mature, I think she'll give you the space and time you need," Maithili said.
"Why would she wait around for me like that?"
"Because you mean that much to her, silly!"
"You think so?"
"Ashu, Gauri likes you for who you are. She sees that it's taking you some time, and she still likes you. Maybe that is why she likes you. But the point is, she isn't trying to rush you because she's in a hurry to have what she wants. I'm sure she cares about what you want, too."
"I guess you're right," he nodded in agreement. He smiled at how easily they were able to talk to each other.

"So why don't you tell Adi this? What you just told me about why it's difficult?"
"I wish I could…," she trailed off for a moment before continuing, "okay, you have to promise not to tell him this, but he completely unnerves me, in the most unexpected times."
Ashu smiled, "Gauri does the exact same thing."
They both chuckled quietly.

"Hm, before I leave, there's something I have to confess," Maithili said. "When I came to pick you up, and even when we were at the program, I kept wishing that I had taken Adi with me instead…which, I know, is a very, very selfish way to think about it, because I know how much you enjoyed seeing Gauri tonight. But I have to say that I'm really glad we went together, and especially that we had this talk."
Ashu smiled before replying. "I'm glad too…Okay, now we have to do the secret Samurai code-of-honour handshake, which seals our friendship, and most importantly, keeps everything we said to each other strictly between us." Ashu sarcastically put on a serious face to go with his childish request.
Maithili played along and shook his hand with a chuckle.

Unbeknownst to them, just a few feet away from them in the patio outside the kitchen, someone sat quietly listening in on their entire conversation.

Maithili was tired by the time she got back home from the Mehras'. She quietly got ready for bed, trying to not wake Kamal. When she was restlessly tossing and turning in bed, she knew it was because she missed Adi. What he told her earlier in the evening changed everything, she knew. She thought of the comfort she experienced in his arms, and she wanted that…forever. And yet. She didn't know how to tell him that. Or how to tell him that she wanted things to slow down a bit.

Suddenly she found herself alarmed by her shrieking phone. Who would call me this late, she wondered, and picked it up quickly before looking at the display. She didn't want it to wake papa.

Silence.
"Adi?"
"Yeah."
"Hey…I was just thinking about you."
"I know."
She rolled her eyes. "And how did you know that?"
"Just did."

The conversation drifted. She nervously went on about how good Gauri's dance was. About how she was bonding with Tanu, and about how she was becoming friends with Ashu. He had gone quiet. So she began to talk about what she knew occupied his mind.

"Adi, the other day in the office…that was really difficult for me."
Silence again. But she continued.
"It was difficult because I want you, too. But I am just afraid that…"
"Afraid of what, Maithili? Life is full of risks. Every relationship is a risk. But don't you think some risks are worth it?"
She spoke after a long silence. "Yes."
"Yes what?" He was sitting at the edge of his bed, absentmindedly playing with a keychain.
"It's worth it." And then slowly, after a long pause. "You're worth it, I mean."
He froze when she said this, dropping the keychain to the floor. He closed his eyes and laid backwards onto his bed. A smile spread across his face.
"I wish I could have seen you say that."
"Why don't you drop by, and I'll say it again," she said playfully.
"I'm sure your dad would really appreciate that."
"Actually, I have a crazy father. He actually might appreciate that. He tends to worry that I am a crazy loner who pretty much avoids getting close with anyone."
"And he's…wrong about that?"
"Fine. Take his side."
"That I will. So maybe I will come over right now."
"Adi, you will do no such thing! I was joking."
"I need to see you, Maithili." Hearing him say this in the way he said it made knots out of her stomach.
"Tomorrow."
"Right. Now."
"Adi, there is just no way you are knocking on my door right now. Nor do I have any intention of stepping outside at the moment. I'm comfortably in bed, and quite tired."
"I'm sure you're tired. I heard your car leave pretty late. I guess the three of you must've talked for ages."
"Three of us?"
"Yeah, you, Mamma, and Ashu."
"No, it was just me and Ashu. I didn't see aunty downstairs."
"Oh. I thought she was downstairs reading in the patio. But maybe she went back to her room before you two got back. Anyway…did Ashu spill the beans about his crush on Gauri?"
"My lips are sealed."
"Hmm..," he said mischievously, "speaking of sealing your lips…"
"Adi!" She blushed uncontrollably.

Gauri stood in her balcony in her pajamas. She closed her eyes and thought of Ashu's face when he came backstage to congratulate her. She smiled at how he was slowly beginning to warm up to her. "You were just beautiful," he had blurted out. And then, "I mean, the performance was beautiful, I didn't know you danced that well." Gauri chuckled when she remembered his reddened face as he tried to compliment her. And how she had teased him about it.

Her thoughts slowly drifted back to Tanu. Gauri and Tanu had a ritual of going out for ice-cream after her performances. Gauri usually needed it to relax after all the stress of performing. Tonight, Tanu said she wasn't in the mood for ice-cream. Gauri noticed that Tanu was kind of quiet and disturbed tonight.

She sighed deeply and drew her thoughts to a close. She walked back into her bedroom and drew her curtains, getting ready to head to bed. She knew she'd sleep well tonight.

The water poured upon her with a comforting force. She held her arms around her body, letting the water flow over her. Tanu had a habit of taking late night showers.

Her mind revisited the confusing ways in which she felt her body react to Percy. She suddenly held out her arm, looking intently at it. She remembered the way he had grabbed it the other day. She moved her fingers towards her hand, up her wrist, through to her shoulder.

And then, flashes of thoughts washed over her just like the water. The way he looked at her. His smell. A shiver went down her body and she suddenly held both arms around herself again, turning the heat of the water up a notch.
Edited by --arti-- - 15 years ago
Larae thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
woooooooooooooooooooooooooooow that was fast i just read chapter 11 a few hours ago and you have posted 12 already oh well im not complaining 😆 im loving it 😃 btw it was awesome brilliantly written as usual 😃

love
mehar 😃
Sadia87 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
great update!...so adi's mom was listening?? hmm...whats gonna go down with that? 😳
sidsk thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Fantastic updates Arti. You're just too good at this....like a complete pro.I really enjoy reading this fic. 😳
tsamhita thumbnail
brilliant chapter arti! 👏 😳 this is just too good! i loved the sweet talk between Adi-Ashu...finally someone maihtili could open up to 😆 aww!! Adi-Mets are so sweet! their late night phone convo was A1 😉 i'm so glad maithili has agreed to all this 😳 oooohh! seems Tannu's having feelings for Percy 😉
--arti-- thumbnail
Thanks mehar, sadizzle, sid, samhita and neha!

I'll update soon. Starting to get really busy because my sis is getting married soon. I'll try my best to write when I can!

-arti
😊
-aweshome_moi- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Wow!!Excellent Chapter,Arti!!😃

Te l'il AM bit was chooo cute😳;and Ashu-Mets convo was well-written!😃

Pleeej,cont.soon!!!😳
--arti-- thumbnail
Thanks Amina! Writing now.. will try to update as soon as possible! 😳