Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sidsk thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 15 years ago
Aarti I just caught with all the chapters.Brilliant piece of work you have here 👏 👏 👏 .....have me completely hooked.Very impressive writing syle and characterizations.
have to make a special mention about Gauri...really liked how you described her in this last chapter.
Continue soon.....waiting to see AM continue from where they had left off in the parking lot😉
kitypity thumbnail
tht ws AMAZIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!so, gauri dont worry, ur ashu will cum 2 u son on a white dashin horse!!!!! 😳 😳 do con son di. 👏
angelic shaz thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
omgggg amazingg 👏 👏 👏
i loved it!!!
mets and adi scene was awesum!! 😃
and the rest was realli gd
cnt wait
continue soon 😳
Miss English thumbnail
ur ff is good yaar
continue it

-aweshome_moi- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Awww Arti!You're too fast with the Updating thing-meri bachchi ko najar na lage!!!😆😆😆

This was cute,hmmm!😉...Adi trying to flirt with Mets,I see;uffff,but Mets is too sulky,yaar!!😡...And,I hpe Tanu does sumthing,here,atleast!😆😉liked Gauri though,she seems sweet!😳

Ok,now cont.soon!😆😳
Sadia87 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
yay! adi and mets' finally getting along!! 😃
Poor Tanu!... 😆 ...
So gauri has a 'thing' for Ashu!?!? cute! 😳

Plz continue! luv ur updates.. 😛
--arti-- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Thanks everyone! 😊

I am glad you guys like it so far, and that you like the Gauri-Ashu track. I was hoping people wouldn't find that a distasteful pairing. 😆 Yeah, I really want to show Gauri very differently from they show her in the show.

I have some outlined ideas for how to develop the Gauri-Ashu track along with the A-M development after the next two chapters, but in the next two or three chapters, it focuses more on the A-M track.

I wanted to post Chapter 8 this evening, but I got home kind of late, sorry. 😕 I'm posting it now.

Before you read Chapter 8, please make sure you check out the new characters that are getting introduced - Kajal Desai and Percy Wadia. I am also posting Chapter 9 because really it is a continuation of Chapter 8. I just divided it up to make reading easier. 😳

Hope you guys like it!
Edited by --arti-- - 15 years ago
--arti-- thumbnail

CHAPTER 8
Reception at the Mehras' – Part 1

The Mehra house was bustling with activity. Shruti Mehra had an annual reception to honour Indian women lawyers who made a difference. This year, she was presenting an award to Rishika Rai Choudhury for her dedication to women's rights. Shruti and Rishika shared a close friendship that went back many years. Much to their delight, their daughters Tanu and Gauri seemed to be following in the same vein.

Shruti was walking about trying to get the hired decorators to do the house up in the way she wanted.
"Excuse me? What do you think you are doing, hanging these large pieces of cloth all over the place? This is an important social event, not a party in some Ekta Kapoor serial. We're going for elegance, not grandiosity!"
"Sorry Ma'am, I'll tell them to change it," said Shruti's secretary and hurried towards the decorators.

Meanwhile, Tanu and Gauri were getting roped into helping with the decorations. They were double checking the catering details when Adi zipped past them towards Shruti.

"Mamma, you've made sure that everyone important has been invited, right?"
"Adi, I'm your mother. I don't forget something that crucial."
"Heh," he chuckled nervously, "of course. I just meant that… we should make sure all your staff have been invited."
"Of course!"
"I mean, including the team of lawyers at SAG…who all work very hard," he continued anxiously.
"Yes, yes Adi, everyone has been invited, and especially SAG lawyers, now let me get back to what I was doing."

"Bhaiyya dearest, don't worry, she is on the guest list," said Tanu from behind him.
Adi turned around and sighed. "Tanu, what's the problem now?"
"She is my problem," Tanu replied defiantly.
"Can't you let it go, Tanu? You are being way too quick to judge her."
Tanu rolled her eyes at this.
"Who are we talking about?" asked Gauri as she joined the conversation.
"Maithili Aggarwal," said Tanu in the most contemptuous tone she could manage.
"Uff, Tanu. Are you still angry about what happened weeks ago? Come on, yaar, and Maithili had a point you know," Gauri said matter-of-factly.
Adi raised his eyebrows at Tanu with an expression that said "now that makes sense." Tanu looked away in frustration.

"What's going on?" asked Ashu as he came up from behind his sister. He hadn't noticed Gauri standing there. If he had, he probably wouldn't have even come downstairs at all. Ashu was shy as it is, but got especially tongue-tied around Gauri.
"Hi Ashu! What a surprise, you've ventured out into the free world today!" Gauri teased him.
Ashu stammered and stuttered, averting his eyes to the floor.
"Hopeless case," Tanu murmured, referring to her brother Ashu, and walked away shaking her head. Adi heard this and let out a soft chuckle.
"Gauri, I think our Ashu can't stand having to spend his precious time with us lowly mortals. We must bore him oh-so-much. Right, bro?" Adi joined in with Gauri to tease Ashu.
"Heh heh," Ashu managed to fakely chuckle as he sharply jammed his heel onto his brother's toes.
"Ouch!," Adi reacted, wincing dramatically. "Okay, I get it, you want me to leave you alone with Gauri…theek hai, chalta hoon yaar," Adi said with a thick grin as the embarrassed Ashu's face turned bright red. "Bye you two," Adi waved at them as he walked away, still grinning.

Adi had made it upstairs to his room, and he was still grinning. True, he got a kick out of teasing Ashu about Gauri. But there was something else behind his grin. This something was the same thing that made his stomach flutter with excitement as he rushed to work every morning in anticipation of seeing Maithili. It was the same grin that her every smile brought to his face.

Recently he saw his life as having two basic parts – the part he spent with Maithili and the part where he waited to see her again. It had been two weeks since she had been working with him at his office over the arbitration, and they were gradually developing a friendship. It was taking her time, but it seemed that Maithili was letting loose around him a bit more. He took this as a sign that she trusted him, and that they were getting closer. Of course, there was more to it than just a friendship. Underneath all of it, there was the hot chemistry that always existed between the two of them. There was, quite unmistakably, a raw attraction to each other. He recalled what happened at the office yesterday afternoon.

Maithili and Adi were both on the same side of his desk and she was showing him some important case details. As she was talking, she absentmindedly pulled her hair back and lifted it, revealing her neck. She rested her hands on her head, with her hair in them. Her eyes and attention were fixed to the papers on the desk. Adi was standing close enough to her to notice the scent of her hair. He shifted his attention to the nape of her neck, which was now revealed underneath the hair. All of a sudden, Adi had an inexplicable urge to feel the back of her neck with his lips. He felt an uncontrollable desire to pull her into his arms.

"…and so this other company policy came into effect last April, right Adi?"

He knew she was saying something, but all he could think about was the sweet texture of her neck. He needed to kiss it urgently.

"Hello? Earth to Adi..." she turned to his face, quickly dropping her hair and waving her hands in front of him.
"Sorry. I-I…um, you were saying?"
"Are you okay?"
"Yes. Fine. Yes. Just. Great. Carry on."
"Adi, why are you sweating so much?"
"I'm not sweating."
"Yes, you are." Without even thinking about it, she dabbed at the sweat on his brow with her handkerchief. She then moved the handkerchief to his upper lip, upon which tiny beads of perspiration had formed.

This was too much for Adi. Here he was fighting his desire to pull her towards him and lay her down on the desk in front of them, and she was standing inches away, innocently patting his face.
"Maithili…" he stared into her eyes. She looked in his eyes, casually at first, then with a growing seriousness.
"What?" she said in a weak voice that clearly showed how much she was taken off-guard by the effect their physical proximity and his eyes were having on her.
"I…your hair… it looks really nice today."
"Oh…it's just the usual--" she stopped when she noticed that he inched closer to her until they were almost touching. She held her breath, frozen where she was, forgetting everything she was about to say.

Adi leaned in towards her ever so slightly when a loud buzzing noise interrupted. Both of them jumped back at this.

"Sir, you have a call from Kajal Desai. Shall I take a message as usual?" It was his secretary Shivangi through the intercom.
"Yes, tell her I'm busy and take a message."

Maithili bit her lip, trying to collect herself and began to nervously rummage through their papers. Adi went to the other side of the room to grab a glass of water. For the rest of the afternoon, they had both pretended nothing happened, but they both knew very well that something did happen. And how long would they pretend, Adi wondered. She would be coming to the Mehra house today for the function. He knew she wouldn't miss it if his mom had invited her and when she probably knew that Rishika, their old professor, was getting an award. He wanted to see her. Talk to her. He wanted to do so much more.

"Maithili, you are not wearing that!" Kamal Aggarwal said emphatically when he saw Maithili walk out in a modest looking brown knee-length dress. "It's too boring, yaar. Wear something that will get all the boys at the party to swoon over you. Who knows what kind of eligible bachelors will be there? Hm?" he winked at her.
Maithili shook her head at her incorrigible father. "Papa, please kuch sharm karo. You know, in most homes the exact opposite of this conversation takes place between father and daughter."
"Beta you know I am not like most fathers and you certainly are not like most daughters." Saying this, he pleaded with her one more time to change her mind.
"Fine. I know how to shut you up," she said and ran off to change.

Maithili pulled out her mother's old cream-coloured tissue silk sari, which was still the most gorgeous thing she'd ever seen. She wore it with a deep purple silk, sequined halter blouse.

When she walked out, her father's eyes moistened. "Ab to complain kaise karoon? Tum mamma ki sari pehen kar aayi ho."
"Yes, that's right. So ab no comments, okay?" she went to wipe off the lone tear that formed under his right eye.
"Haan haan.. theek hai, but aaj kal kaise blouses pehente ho tum log," Kamal looked confused.
"Papa, you've already made me change once!"
"Okay, okay. Tumhaare budhe papa ko kya pata hai, right?"
"Uff, chalo, we'll be late!" she pulled his arm and led him towards the door.

"What's the matter? Abhi tak aayi nahin?"
"Tanu, will you please shut up?" said an exasperated Adi.
"You know, you look really silly standing by the door. Everyone's looking for you in the party. Especially your ex-girlfriend Kajal Desai."
"What?! Kajal is here?" Adi shot Tanu a panicked look.
"Yes. No idea how she landed up here, but she's here, and she's been asking for you."
"Tanu, pleeease kuch karo and get her out of here!" Adi pleaded.
Tanu almost felt bad for her brother, whom she had never seen like this. But her ego got the best of her. "Kyon? Did you help me with the Maithili problem?"
"Tanu, Maithili is not a problem. She is… well, she's my friend. And Mamma's colleague."
"Yes, yes, I know. And Kajal Desai is no enemy of mine, so I don't care. In fact, I rather liked Kajal. At least she wasn't like the bimbo timepass girlfriends you had in college." Tanu walked off coldly.

Adi sighed sharply. Tanu could be such a brat sometimes. And what the hell was Kajal doing here? He hadn't seen her in over 6 months, but she kept calling him every now and then no matter how many times he avoided her calls. Just as he was thinking this, he saw Kamal Aggarwal get out of his car with his daughter. Adi's lips parted and he let out a slight gasp when he saw Maithili in a sari, but he managed to keep his jaw from falling. She walked with so much elegance and confidence that it tugged at him. He forgot all about Kajal, and drank in Maithili's beauty with his eyes.

Maithili caught Adi's eyes and smiled instinctively.
"Papa, there's Adi," she said, directing her father towards him.
"Hello uncle, it's nice to meet you," Adi said as he rushed up to a smiling Kamal to shake his hand.
"Hi Adi. I've heard so much about you. How's your mother doing?"
"She's fine, she's inside. Please come in."

Maithili and Rishika were deep in conversation when Adi stared from a distance. Rishika had already been given the award, and she made a short speech that everyone enjoyed. Now she was enjoying catching up with her old student Maithili. But Adi was disappointed that he still didn't get any time alone with Maithili. Even from this distance, he could see the way her lovely shoulders glistened in that halter top. His attention drifted towards her neck, where he almost kissed her…almost. A naughty smile came to his face at the thought.

A tap on his shoulder interrupted his thoughts.
"Hi stranger, remember me?"
"Kajal," he said flatly, turning around. She was the last person Adi wanted to deal with.

--arti-- thumbnail
CHAPTER 9
Reception at the Mehras' – part 2

"So you do remember. Then you must also remember how you said you would call me back?"
"Well, I never got around to it," he said dismissively.
"Clearly. And that irritating secretary of yours keeps saying you're busy every time I call," she said, trying to pretend that it was an amusing fact.
"Well, I am a busy person. In fact, I'm quite busy right now since I'm supposed to be attending to some very important guests."
"Such as... Maithili Aggarwal? Over there, in that off-white sari? Yes, I've been told she's a very important guest indeed," Kajal continued with a terse smile.
Adi was shocked. Tanu must be responsible for this.
He took a sharp breath. "So…what are you doing here?" he tried to fake a pleasant tone.
"Well, my friend Percy is in the jazz band that's playing right now and he invited me to come along. "
Adi pretended to follow along, nodding in the direction of the live band, "They're good."
"Yeah."
An awkward silence.
"So…" Kajal tried to end the silence, she could tell he was distracted, "I guess you don't have any time these days to see me. That busy, huh?
"Kajal…," Adi paused for a moment, looking at her look at him with expectant eyes, and continued, "Kajal, it's over between us and I think it's time you let go."
She looked hurt, but tried not to show it.
"Oh please Adi, I was talking about spending some friendly time with you, that's all!"
"Not now, Kajal, please. I'll give you a call some other time."
"Liar," she said with a fake smile, feeling really tired all of a sudden.
"I have to go now," Adi smiled fakely. "I'll give you a call at some point," he said and slipped away. He turned and made his way towards Maithili and Rishika.

Kajal looked down on the glass she was holding, sharply diverting her attention to the immense potential the glass held. She could fling it at Aditya Mehra right now, and it would hurt him, and him being in momentary pain would satisfy her. But she didn't really want to do that. She wanted to at least angrily throw it at the floor. The glass would shatter to pieces, crumble, and lose all integrity, looking nothing like its original shape. And then it would look like how she was feeling right now. She glanced up to look in the direction of the band, and caught Percy looking at her worriedly. She smiled at him, as if to say "I'm okay."

Meanwhile, Maithili eyed Adi approaching her and Rishika, and suddenly felt conscious. I wonder how I look right now, she thought, and unconsciously straightened her back a bit
"How's the mini reunion going in this corner?" he asked them.
"Just great, Adi! It's been so long since I've seen Maithili and she's been up to so much exciting stuff. You know, as my former students, you have both done me very proud. This feels better than winning the award tonight," said a beaming Rishika.
"Well, it takes a great teacher to make sharp minds out of clay. Um, if you don't mind, can I steal Maithili away from you for a second? There's someone I'd like her to meet."
"Sure, go right ahead," said Rishika and went to look for her husband Rishabh, who was usually doddering about awkwardly in most parties. Rishabh was a bit of a prude. He blindly hated alcohol so never drank at parties. He also rarely had anything interesting to say, so most people tended to avoid him.

Maithili looked at Adi with a curious look, wondering where he was taking her. Soon Maithili and Adi were near the pool behind the house, where the teenaged guests were hanging out. Tanu Mehra was busy being the center of attention, cracking jokes with her friend Gauri by her side.

Adi and Maithili approached her.
"Maithili, I'd like you to have a proper introduction to my sister."
Tanu turned around, shocked. She did not just hear that, she told herself.
"Tanu, I believe you and Maithili need to be re-introduced." Tanu gave her brother a look that said "I'm going to kill you and bury you exactly where you're standing right now."
Maithili smiled warmly at Tanu, trying to break the tension.
"Hi Tanu. I'm sorry that we had such a terrible first meeting. Let's start over," Maithili said sweetly as she extended her hand towards Tanu.
Tanu glared at Maithili, and to stop Adi from nudging her with his elbow, she shook Maithili's hand and said a cold 'hi.'
Gauri started warming up to Maithili, starting her usual non-stop chatter. Ashu, who was walking nearby, was pulled into the conversation by Gauri.
"Maithili, have you met our Ashu?" chirped Gauri.
"Our Ashu?" asked Adi, making both Gauri and Ashu self-conscious. This made Tanu smile a little bit.
"Aayiye, aayiye," Tanu said to Ashu. "Hum mein se koi aap ko shaayad kuch zyaada hi miss kar raha hai.. or should I say kar rahi hai."
Maithili smiled at how Tanu and Adi were teasing Gauri and Ashu. She tried to come to the rescue.
"Hi Ashu, your mother has told me so much about your art. I really love your painting that hangs in her office."
"Thanks," said Ashu, smiling briefly at Maithili, and shifting his eyes sternly to Tanu and then Adi. But he shyly avoided Gauri's eyes. "I better get going," he said and walked away.
"We have to go now," Tanu said coldly, grabbing Gauri's arm and walking away, leaving Maithili and Adi alone.

"Sorry about her. It's probably my fault she's so spoiled," Adi said, turning towards Maithili apologetically.
"It's okay. She's young. I was quite difficult when I was her age," Maithili said casually.
"Oh that you were. You don't have to remind me," Adi joked.
"Shut up, Adi! As if you weren't just as bad, if not worse," Maithili said, playfully slapping his arm.
"Okay, you got me there. I don't think I can deny that any more than I can deny how beautiful you look tonight." It was true. Standing out there bathed by the moonlight, Maithili's face took on a poetic sparkle.
"You look like a work of art," Adi said.
This sudden compliment surprised her, and she blushed and averted her eyes.
"Thanks. You don't look so bad, either," she said, briefly scanning him from top to bottom.
"Maithili? You're openly checking me out! Man, times really have changed, haven't they?" Adi chuckled.
"Don't flatter yourself. I was returning a compliment," she said, teasing him.
Adi and Maithili stood there talking for a few more minutes, continuing their light-hearted banter when Shruti came towards them.
"Maithili, I believe your dad is looking for you. He says it's past his bedtime," said an amused Shruti.
"Oh, sorry. Papa has a bad habit of making pathetic jokes," Maithili smiled. "Anyway, I better get going. Great party, Ma'am."
"Maithili, you don't have to call me that when we're not in the office," Shruti said sweetly.
"Okay, thanks for the great party aunty," Maithili said and gave Shruti a quick hug. Adi looked on jealously.
Maithili looked towards Adi, awkwardly trying to say goodbye, and disappointed him by not giving him a hug and instead just telling him with a smile that she'll see him tomorrow at work.

Maithili changed out of her sari with her thoughts fixed on Adi. What was all that flirting all about? And that way he looked at her. An automatic smile emerged on her lips. She could sense that despite all these years, their chemistry had deepened, which made things quite difficult at work. But nevertheless, she was slipping into an immense comfort level with him. He didn't unnerve her anymore…well, or at least she told herself he didn't. When they almost kissed at the office yesterday, she kicked herself later, mildly irritated that Adi's eyes still had that magical hold over her. What would happen in the next week, she wondered.

She was glad her friendship with Adi was developing, but despite all the attraction she felt towards him she wasn't too sure what she wanted beyond that. Could she really trust him? And if she did pursue something-more-than-friendship with Adi, she wasn't sure she could risk having things end badly, especially now that she enjoyed working with his mother so much. She had to maintain a professional relationship with him at least until this case would get resolved, she decided. Things were happening fast, and she needed more time. She decided to press the "hold" button on these thoughts, since she was too tired from the party to think anymore. Maithili dropped into bed in her pajamas and drifted off to sleep, still with that smile on her face.

Kajal and Percy were sitting at a bench in her backyard. The comfort of the quiet night and her backyard soothed Kajal. She was relieved to be sitting in such a cosy place after being in that brightly-lit, large hall at the Mehras', where she felt so small, so overwhelmed by the space, the brightness, the people, and most of all, Aditya Mehra.

Percy had come to drop her off, but didn't want to leave right away because he knew she had a lot on her mind. They were sitting in total silence, sipping some hot tea that Kajal had made for them. Kajal lived with her uncle, but he had gone to Dehradun for a week to sell off some old family land that they no longer had use for. They lived in a modest home, and her uncle was the principal of the school where Kajal was a teacher. Life seemed just fine, until the whirlwind that was falling in love with Aditya Mehra happened.

"Jerk," Percy said quietly. He thought he should give an appropriate name to the person who was obviously on her mind.
"Percy…it's not like that. I mean, he's not…what he seems on the outside," she finished her sentence with great effort.
"No. And I don't want to know, Kaaj. I saw it in his body language today. He was just so dismissive towards you."
She couldn't deny this. She retreated back into silence. It took too much energy to talk.

She looked up at the sky. She wanted to see the stars that hid above the city smog. She wanted to throw herself against the unknown sky and vanish from where she was, from her life.

Percy knew he had lost her to her solitary silence again. He had lost contact with his friend. She was sitting right next to him, and yet, there was no communication. He wanted to grab her shoulders and shake her out of it. He wanted to talk to her, to make jokes, to make fun of Aditya Mehra's bratty sister…what was her name, anyway?

Percy began to hum an old Hindi tune…

jaane woh kaise log the jinke
pyaar ko pyaar mila
humne to jab kaliyaan maangi
kaanton ka haar mila

He made a melodramatic sad face as he sang with increasing clarity and volume. He got up from the bench and put his hand on his chest as swung around and looked at her, still singing.

She was stubbornly silent for a second, and then gave up and laughed.
Sadia87 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
omg!! 2 updates back to back!!?!?! 😊 awesome!!

Both parts were amazing!! Sooo exciting..adi and mets' getting close? and having ackward moments!! aww..so cute 😳

thanx soooooooooooo much with the double updating! great writing!