The writers actually did a brilliant job showing the differences between Bharadwajs and Sharmas.
I never felt fully comfortable watching HoB- I knew in the earlier scenes when HoB was shown to be quite a fun family, everything did not appear as rosy as it seemed. I knew Sudha was way too sweet and was going to turn out to be a smiling assassin. Everyone seems to put on a front of being a perfect, respectable family. They seem quite formal and reserved with each other, I didn’t sense a lot of warmth. The brothers seem to find solace in each other and are each other’s support but even Mohit wants to secretly leave, and Vivaan seemed desperate to leave if he could with Rakshit. They like Appu because she is like one of them- genuinely nice, no arrogance and no agendas, caring and also a little playful sometimes. It’s not as obvious on the outside but what happened to Raveena and now to Aprakshi shows how hostile this house actually is.
Malti, the maternal figurehead of the Sharmas, is a completely different character compared to Sudha and naturally her family’s dynamics are also very different. Malti is explosive, doesn’t really think twice before any of her actions and speaks her mind, does not play mind games, doesn’t put up a front and isn’t as arrogant. The Sharmas are used to fighting with each other openly, speaking their minds, having their family problems lie bare to the whole mohalla because the walls are so thin so there isn’t much opportunity to put up a facade of the ‘perfect family’. So although they’re also not a perfect family, I always felt their relationships felt a little more honest (Aaru, of course, is a special case with a very high dose of inferiority complex against Appu)
43