
Chapter 1- Papa's girl
“Papa, you’re cheating!” Geet accused as she leaned across the coffee table, her eyes narrowing at the black knight her father had moved whilst she’d been looking towards the kitchen. She glanced up at him when he placed a hand against his chest, though the offended expression on his face did little to convince her when she’d already caught him doing the same thing earlier.
“Geetu, are you accusing your own father of cheating?” Rajveer questioned, watching his daughter reach for his knight without waiting for an explanation. “You can’t just move my pieces because you’re losing,” he added, catching her wrist before she could remove another one from the board.
“I’m moving them because you’re cheating,” Geet corrected as she pulled her hand free and returned the knight to its original square. “That one was here, and you moved it when I wasn’t looking. I saw you.”
“If you weren’t looking, how did you see me?” Rajveer asked, arching his brows as she paused with her fingers resting on the piece, clearly considering his question before deciding that she didn’t need to answer it.
“You know what I mean, Papa,” Geet responded, waving towards the board impatiently. “Put it back.”
“Nine years old and already ordering your father around,” Rajveer muttered as he settled back against the sofa, shaking his head at the satisfied smile spreading across her face. “Your mother has completely ruined you.”
“Mama says you ruined me,” Geet informed him, reaching for her own piece whilst Rajveer glanced towards the kitchen to make sure his wife hadn’t heard them.
“Your mama talks too much,” he told her, lowering his voice just enough to make Geet giggle, though the sound of Simran clearing her throat had them both turning towards the doorway.
“And yet you married me,” Simran reminded him as she stood with her arms crossed, her eyes moving between her husband and daughter before settling on Rajveer.
“Biggest mistake of my life,” Rajveer answered with a grin, which quickly disappeared when she picked up the dishcloth from the counter and started towards him. “I’m joking, meri jaan,” he assured her, raising his hands as Geet burst into laughter beside him. “You know I’m joking.”
“Rajveer Handa, you’ve been very brave since this one started taking your side,” Simran replied, flicking the cloth against his shoulder whilst he reached for Geet and pulled her against him.
“Violence in front of our innocent child,” Rajveer complained, resting his chin on top of Geet’s head as she continued laughing. “What kind of example are you setting?”
“Innocent?” Simran repeated, looking down at her daughter, who immediately attempted to straighten her face. “That one has been stealing pieces of paneer from the kitchen for the last half hour, and you’re calling her innocent?”
“I was checking if it was cooked,” Geet defended, smiling when her mother bent to kiss her forehead before smoothing back the hair that had escaped her clips.
“Then you can check the rest at the table,” Simran responded. “Dinner is ready, so come before it gets cold.”
“I was winning, Mama,” Geet informed her as she turned back towards the board, wanting her mother to see before Rajveer had the chance to move anything else.
“Because you keep changing where my pieces are,” Rajveer replied, reaching towards the crutches beside the sofa whilst Geet started explaining exactly how many times he had cheated. Simran shook her head at the two of them, moving closer to her husband as he shifted towards the edge of his seat.
“I’ve got it,” Rajveer assured her when she placed a hand beneath his arm, though he allowed her to remain beside him whilst he secured his crutches and carefully stood.
“I know you have,” Simran answered, waiting until he was steady before picking up the cushion that had slipped onto the floor. “Geet, put the pieces away properly this time. I found one under the sofa yesterday.”
“That was Papa’s,” Geet called after them, gathering the pieces into their box whilst Rajveer complained to Simran that his daughter blamed him for everything.
Geet had watched her parents move around each other like that for as long as she could remember, with Mama helping before Papa asked and Papa insisting that he didn’t need quite so much fussing over. He could walk with his crutches, though not for very long, and when they went somewhere that meant being out for most of the day, Mama took the wheelchair that remained folded beside the front door. On the days his leg hurt more, they stayed at home and played games or watched films, with Geet usually squeezing herself between her parents until Rajveer complained that he no longer had any room on his own sofa.
She had never thought there was anything unusual about their family, nor had she felt that anything was missing when her father watched from a bench whilst Mama pushed her on the swings. Papa was still the person she called out to when she went higher, and he was always there to tell her that he’d seen.
“Can I have the last paratha?” Geet asked once they were seated at the dining table, leaning forward to look inside the basket between her parents.
“No, because I want it,” Rajveer responded, moving the basket towards himself before she could reach it.
“You’ve already had three,” Geet reminded him, frowning when he shrugged as though that wasn’t a perfectly good reason to give it to her. “And you told Mama you’re getting fat.”
Rajveer lowered the piece of paratha he was holding and turned towards his wife, who had pressed her fingers against her mouth in an unsuccessful attempt to hide her laughter.
“Simran, control your daughter,” he demanded, gesturing towards Geet whilst she looked between them, unable to understand what she’d said wrong when he had been the one complaining about his trousers that morning.
“She learnt honesty from you,” Simran replied, reaching for the serving spoon and adding more paneer to Geet’s plate.
“Papa, please,” Geet tried again, stretching her hand towards the basket, only for Rajveer to rest his palm over it.
“Say I’m handsome,” he instructed, leaning back in his chair as she narrowed her eyes at him. “One little compliment, Geetu, and the paratha is yours.”
“Mama,” Geet complained, turning towards her mother instead, and Simran promptly lifted the paratha from beneath Rajveer’s hand and placed it on their daughter’s plate.
“Eat before he thinks of something else,” Simran told her, smiling when Geet tore off a piece and dipped it into her paneer.
“Traitor,” Rajveer muttered at his wife, though when Geet held a small piece towards him, he leaned forward and ate it from her fingers, making her laugh when he complained that she’d given him the smallest bit.
At nine, Geet had never needed to consider whether she was allowed to ask for something. If she was hungry, she told her parents, and if she needed a pencil or wanted the red shoes instead of the black ones, she said so with the confidence of a child who knew she would be heard. Sometimes Papa said no, and sometimes Mama told her to wait until her birthday, but neither of them ever made her feel that wanting something was wrong.
She was their daughter, and in the home Rajveer and Simran had made for her, there had always been room for whatever she needed.
After Simran suddenly passed away unexpected, Geet kept expecting to hear her mother moving around the kitchen. Even with the house full of relatives, she found herself turning towards the doorway whenever someone carried in a tray, only to look away when it was another auntie asking whether she had eaten.
Women she barely knew pulled her into their arms and cried into her hair, whilst the men sat beside Papa and spoke so quietly that she couldn’t hear them unless she moved closer.
Jasmeen, Rajveer’s mother arrived from Delhi with Rajinder and Sukhmani, and Geet spent most of those first days pressed against her grandmother’s side or curled beside her father. Nobody told her to go and play, and nobody complained when she fell asleep holding tightly to Rajveer’s shirt, though sometimes she woke to find his cheek resting against her hair and his arms still around her.
When the relatives began leaving, she watched their bags appear beside the front door, worrying each time that Dadima’s things would be amongst them. Jasmeen stayed longer, stroking Geet’s hair at night and preparing the food she usually liked, but eventually she had to return to Delhi too, and Geet stood beside her father whilst Rajinder carried the last of their bags to the car.
With everyone gone, there was no longer enough noise to distract her from the places where her mother should have been. She noticed the empty chair at dinner and the silence when Papa called her to get ready for school, because Mama was no longer there to remind him that her shoes were beside the back door.
Rajveer tried to keep things familiar, making sure her uniform was ready and asking about her schoolwork even on the evenings when he looked too tired to eat. He hired someone to clean and prepare their meals in the mornings, and for the first few months he arranged as much of his work as possible around Geet’s school hours, determined that she would never come home to an empty house.
“Papa, your medicine,” Geet reminded him one evening, approaching the dining table with his tablets in one hand and a glass of water held carefully in the other.
Rajveer looked away from his laptop, frowning as he reached to take the glass before she could spill it over the papers spread around him. “Why are you bringing these, Geetu?”
“Because you forgot,” she answered, placing the tablets beside his hand and looking towards the clock. “It’s seven thirty.”
“I didn’t forget,” Rajveer replied, following her gaze before letting out a reluctant sigh. “Perhaps I forgot a little, but you were supposed to be finishing your homework.”
“Mama said you have to take them after dinner,” Geet reminded him, remaining beside his chair until he picked them up.
Rajveer’s fingers stilled for a moment, and he looked down at the tablets rather than at his daughter whilst he swallowed past the sudden tightness in his throat. Simran used to leave them beside his plate, complaining that he remembered every deadline a client gave him but somehow forgot the things that concerned his own health.
“Happy now?” he asked after taking them, forcing a smile as Geet nodded and reached for the empty glass. He caught her hand before she could carry it away, drawing her against his side instead. “Leave that here, bossy little woman. Go and finish your homework.”
“I’ve finished it already,” Geet told him, slipping an arm around his neck whilst she leaned against his shoulder.
“Already?” Rajveer questioned, tilting his head to look at her. “Then go and find something else to do before I give you more sums, show-off.”
Geet smiled and kissed his cheek before hurrying towards her bedroom, leaving Rajveer watching the doorway long after she had disappeared through it.
It wasn’t the first time she had brought his medicine, nor was it the only thing she had started noticing. His crutches were always within reach because Geet moved them closer whenever he sat down and if he dropped something, she was beside him before he could work out how to retrieve it. A few days earlier, she had taken a stack of files from his hand and carried them into his study, telling him she was going that way anyway, though he knew she’d been watching television before he entered the room. He loved her for wanting to help, but it troubled him to see how closely she had begun watching him, as though she was afraid something might happen if she didn’t.
“Papa, don’t,” Geet called the following evening, putting down her pencil when he reached for his crutches.
“Don’t what?” Rajveer asked, turning towards her as he steadied himself beside the sofa.
“Your leg hurts today,” she replied, glancing down at it before looking back at him. “You keep rubbing it.”
“I was going to get some water, detective,” Rajveer explained, trying to keep his voice light even as she pushed her workbook aside and got up.
“I’ll get it for you,” Geet offered, already making her way around the coffee table before he could tell her to sit down.
“Geetu, I can get my own water,” he called after her, but she waved back at him and continued towards the kitchen, leaving him standing beside the sofa with his hands tightened around his crutches.
Later that night, Rajveer sat beside her bed and watched her sleeping with one hand tucked beneath her cheek. Her workbook lay on the bedside table, open at the page she had been completing before she’d got up to help him, and he reached to close it before gently brushing the hair from her face.
“You’re only nine,” he whispered, his fingers lingering against her temple. “You’re supposed to annoy me and ask for things, Geetu, not worry about whether I can get myself a glass of water.”
He had refused when his family first suggested returning to Delhi, unable to bear the thought of taking Geet away from her home and school so soon after losing her mother. Simran was everywhere here, in the photographs on the walls and the plants near the kitchen window, and he’d thought that keeping their daughter amongst those familiar things would help them both.
For a while, he had believed he could manage, but the work he’d postponed was beginning to demand his attention. There were meetings he could no longer put off, site visits that required more than a few hours away and projects that meant travelling, whilst even an ordinary working day sometimes left him struggling by the time Geet returned from school.
He could arrange more help at home, and he had already considered it, but that wouldn’t give her someone to chatter to the way she once had with Simran. Nor would it stop her watching his face before asking whether they could go somewhere, deciding for herself that he was too tired before he’d even had the chance to answer.
Rajveer drew the blanket over her shoulder and remained beside her a little longer, wishing Simran were there to tell him what to do.
“You want to send her to Delhi?” Rajinder questioned over the phone the following evening, and Rajveer glanced towards Geet’s closed bedroom door before lowering his voice.
“I don’t want to send her anywhere, bhai,” he answered, shifting his aching leg into a more comfortable position. “If it were about what I wanted, she’d stay here with me.”
“Then let her stay,” Rajinder replied. “We can work something out, Rajveer. You don’t have to decide this now.”
“I’ve been trying to work something out for months” Rajveer admitted, rubbing a hand over his forehead. “I thought I was managing, but she’s started looking after me, and I don’t know how to stop her without making her think she’s done something wrong.”
“She’s your daughter,” Rajinder responded gently. “Of course she’ll want to help you.”
“She’s nine, Bhai,” Rajveer reminded him, his voice tightening as he looked towards her room again. “She watches the clock for my medication, carries my files when she sees me struggling and won’t ask to go anywhere if she thinks I’m having a bad day. Yesterday, she wouldn’t let me walk to the kitchen because she’d noticed my leg was hurting.”
Rajinder remained quiet as his brother paused, giving him time to continue.
“I’m her father, and she’s worrying about me before she thinks about herself,” Rajveer said, lowering his gaze to the hand resting on his knee. “Simran would hate that, and I can’t keep pretending it’ll settle down when every week there’s something else she’s decided she should do for me.”
“What would you like us to do?” Rajinder asked after a moment, his voice softer now.
“I want her to come to Delhi,” Rajveer answered, making himself say the words before he could change his mind. “To stay with you, Sukhmani bhabhi and Ma, where she’ll have people around her even when I have to travel.”
“Of course she can stay with us,” Rajinder assured him, though Rajveer was already reaching for the figures he’d written down earlier.
“I’ll cover everything,” he explained quickly. “Her school fees, clothes, food, anything she wants to join… I’ll transfer more than enough each month, and if there’s anything extra, you only have to tell me. I’ll visit as often as I can” he promised.
“Rajveer, stop talking about money,” Rajinder interrupted, frowning at the way his brother was rushing through the arrangements. “She’s my niece.”
“I know that, Bhai, but I don’t want her becoming an expense for you,” Rajveer replied. “You have your own responsibilities, and I’m asking you to take on mine.”
“You’re asking your brother to look after your daughter” Rajinder corrected firmly. “You don’t need to explain what you’ll pay for as though we’re strangers.”
Rajveer leaned back against the sofa, looking towards the photograph of Simran on the shelf whilst Rajinder continued.
“She’ll have Lavanya, and Ma asks about her every day,” his brother reminded him. “Sukhmani will be here when she comes home from school, and you know how happy they’ll all be to have her.”
“That’s what I want for her,” Rajveer murmured, his eyes remaining on his wife’s smiling face. “I want her to come home and think about playing, or complain because someone’s made her do her homework. I don’t want the first thing she asks to be whether I’ve taken my medicine.”
“Then bring her here,” Rajinder replied. “We’ll take care of her, and you can concentrate on getting things settled at your end”
“Like your own? You will love her and keep like your own, bhai?” Rajveer asked quietly, hating that he needed to hear the assurance but unable to leave it unsaid.
“Like my own, I promise” Rajinder promised without hesitation, and Rajveer closed his eyes as he breathed out, allowing himself to believe that he had found somewhere his daughter would be loved as she was at home.
The following morning, Geet stood in front of him with her schoolbag hanging from one shoulder, staring at him as though she was waiting for him to tell her she had misunderstood.
“You’re sending me away?” she asked, her fingers tightening around the strap whilst Rajveer reached towards her.
“No, Geetu, that isn’t what I’m saying. Come here,” he urged, but she remained where she was, looking down at the carpet instead of taking his hand.
“Did I do something?” Geet questioned, lifting her eyes to his face when he went quiet. “Something bad?”
“Why would you think that?” Rajveer asked, his chest tightening as he reached for his crutches, wanting to go to her rather than make her cross the room. Before he could take hold of them, Geet had already stepped forward and lifted them towards him, and the sight of her doing it so readily made his throat ache.
He left the crutches where they were and caught her hand instead, drawing her gently between his knees.
“You haven’t done anything wrong,” he assured her, cupping her face so she would look at him. “I need you to understand that, Geetu. Nothing about this is because you’ve been bad.”
“Then why can’t I stay with you?” she asked, her voice trembling despite the effort she was making to keep it steady.
Rajveer brushed his thumbs over her cheeks, struggling to find an answer that wouldn’t make her feel unwanted.
“Because Papa isn’t doing a very good job at being both Mama and Papa,” he said at last, trying to smile when she immediately shook her head.
“You are,” Geet insisted, placing her hands over his wrists. “I don’t mind, Papa. I can help you.”
Rajveer pulled her against him before she could see his expression change, pressing his lips to her hair whilst her arms slipped around his neck.
“I know you can help,” he murmured, holding her close. “But you don’t have to take Mama’s place, Geetu. I want you to go to school and make friends, and when you come home, I want you to think about what you’d like to do.”
“I do think about that,” Geet replied against his shoulder, though he felt her hold tighten as he stroked her back.
“Then you should be asking me for ridiculous things and arguing when I say no,” Rajveer told her, easing back enough to see her face. “You can fight with Lavanya and irritate Dadima, and I’m sure there are plenty of things you can ask Chachu to buy.”
“I don’t ask for ridiculous things,” Geet protested, rubbing beneath her nose with the back of her hand whilst he reached for a tissue.
“You asked for a telescope last month,” Rajveer reminded her, gently wiping her face.
“Because I need one,” she answered, looking at him with enough seriousness that he couldn’t help smiling.
“For what, meri jaan?” he asked, smoothing her hair behind her ear as she gave him a puzzled look.
“To look at space, Papa. What else would I do with it?” Geet replied, and the small laugh that escaped him brought a hesitant smile to her own face.
“That’s what I mean,” Rajveer told her, drawing her closer again. “I want you worrying about which stars you’re going to look at, and you can leave my medicines to me.”
Geet played with the edge of his collar for a moment before looking up at him. “Will you come to see me?”
“As often as I can,” he promised, covering her hand with his.
“Will you call every day?” she asked, studying his face until he nodded. “Morning and night?”
“Morning and night,” Rajveer agreed. “You can tell me everything you’ve done, even the things you’re not supposed to have done.”
“And if I want to come home?” Geet questioned, her fingers tightening against his shirt.
“This will always be your home,” Rajveer assured her, brushing beneath her eye before the tear gathering there could fall. “Going to Delhi doesn’t change that, and you can always tell me if you’re unhappy. Chachu and Chachi will be there, and you’ll have your Dadima and Lavanya with you too.”
Geet nodded slowly, though she didn’t move away when he loosened his arms.
“And you ask for whatever you need,” Rajveer continued, wanting her to be certain of that much. “If you need books or clothes, you tell Chachi, and if there’s something you want to do at school, you tell her that as well. Papa will send money for everything, so there’s nothing for you to worry about.”
When she nodded again, he tilted his head to catch her gaze.
“Use your words, Geetu. Tell me you understand.”
“Yes, Papa,” she answered, and Rajveer kissed her forehead before holding her against him for a few moments longer, wishing the decision felt as sensible with her in his arms as it had when he’d spoken to his brother.
A week later, Geet stood beside him at the entrance of Rajinder’s home in Delhi, her fingers curled around his hand whilst he balanced carefully on his other crutch. She had been quiet for most of the journey, asking twice how long he was staying, and Rajveer had been preparing to reassure her again when Jasmeen appeared at the door.
“My Geetu,” her grandmother exclaimed, opening her arms as Geet finally released her father’s hand and stepped into them. Jasmeen bent to kiss both her cheeks before holding her at arm’s length, looking her over with a frown. “You’ve become thinner. Rajveer, do you not feed my granddaughter?”
“Dadima, I’ve just eaten,” Geet protested, giggling when Jasmeen kissed her again before she could turn her face away.
“Then you can eat a little more,” Jasmeen decided, keeping an arm around her as Rajinder approached his brother and took the bag resting beside his feet.
“Come in before Ma starts on you properly,” Rajinder murmured, smiling as he stepped aside to give Rajveer room.
“Geet!” Lavanya called from the stairs, hurrying down to wrap her arms around her cousin before Jasmeen had finished asking what she’d eaten. “I’ve been waiting all morning. Come upstairs, I want to show you something.”
“Let her come inside first,” Sukhmani told her daughter as she joined them, greeting Rajveer before looking towards Geet with a welcoming smile. “I’ve made everything you like, so don’t let Lavanya keep you upstairs when I call you to eat.”
“Paneer?” Geet asked, glancing towards the kitchen with an interest Rajveer hadn’t seen during the journey.
“And gulab jamun and kheer” Sukhmani replied, reaching to straighten the collar of Geet’s dress. “Your Chachu went out specially to get them.”
Rajveer watched Geet turn towards his brother with a bright smile, and some of the tension he’d carried all the way to Delhi began to ease. By the time Lavanya took her hand and started telling her what she’d missed at school, Geet was answering with stories of her own, allowing herself to be led inside whilst Jasmeen followed them, still insisting that they should eat before doing anything else.
Later that evening, Rajveer sat with Rajinder and Sukhmani whilst the girls unpacked upstairs with their grandmother. Geet had already come down once to tell him that Lavanya had cleared a drawer for her things, and he kept looking towards the staircase, listening for her footsteps even after she returned to her cousin.
“I’ve transferred the money into your account, bhabhi” he explained, bringing his attention back to Sukhmani. “There’s enough for the next few months, including anything she needs for school, but please tell me if there’s something I haven’t thought of.”
“You really don’t have to keep talking about money,” Sukhmani replied, setting his tea in front of him. “Have your tea, Rajveer. You’ve barely sat down since you arrived.”
“I know I’ve said it already,” he acknowledged, reaching for the cup, “but she’s my responsibility, and I don’t want either of you hesitating to get her something because you think you should ask me first.”
“She’s our family too,” Rajinder reminded him, leaning forward to move the plate of biscuits within his reach. “You’ve seen her today. She’s already settled in with Lavanya.”
Rajveer nodded, relieved by that himself, though there was still something he needed them to understand.
“Just don’t let her worry about anything please” he asked. “If she needs something, buy it, and if she wants something reasonable, let her have it. Simran and I never really stopped her from getting anything as long as it was within reason, and I don’t want her thinking she has to go without anything because she’s living here.”
“Rajveer, we’ll take care of her,” Sukhmani assured him, her smile patient as she settled beside her husband. “If there’s anything she needs, I’ll make sure she has it.”
Before he could respond, Geet’s laughter travelled down the stairs, followed by Lavanya protesting about something and Jasmeen telling them both to be careful. Rajveer looked towards the sound, his fingers relaxing around his cup as he listened to his daughter trying to explain herself between giggles.
It had been so long since he’d heard her laugh without looking towards him afterwards, as though she needed to check that he was all right before she could enjoy herself. Here, with her grandmother fussing over her and Lavanya keeping her occupied, perhaps she would stop feeling that she had to watch over him.
“She’ll be all right,” Rajinder said, noticing where his attention had gone, and Rajveer nodded as he turned back to his brother, grateful enough that he couldn’t quite put it into words.
“We will take her of her, she’s with us now” Sukhmani added with a soft smile.
Please hit the like and comment if you have enjoyed this story. Thank you


730