Users

Frequent Posters

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 16 years ago

Needs to spruce up

Aladdin Jaanbaaz Ek Jalwe Anek
Fri - Sun, 9.30 pm, Zee TV
Aladdin is the latest addition to Zee's weekend slot that seems to be increasingly monopolised by costume dramas coming after Raavan and Naaginn. For starters, there would hardly be anyone in the audience unaware of at least a brief outline of the famous Arabian Nights story of the boy with the magic lamp and his fond association with its wish fulfilling jinn, fabulously revisited on TV in the recent past in a popular Disney series of the same name. So the differential in its latest telling has to come in the show's narration and presentation, where it sadly seems to falter as of now.

For one Aladdin's long and frequently repeating incidents of torture in the house of his abusive foster parents at the moment has ended up as quite a torturous impediment for a story celebrating the might of the human spirit. However, while the sob story may ease with Aladdin's changing fortunes, the one lacuna that threatens to loom large for long is its special effects. For a show whose USP is fantasy and adventure, the special effects are woefully inadequate, harking back to the technical sensibilities of Ramanand Sagar's Ramayan era. Fantasy shows have come a long way since then, even in India post-Chandrakanta, not discounting its intended target audience's exposure to exquisitely-mounted fantasy epics of the Harry Potter, Narnia and Lord of the Rings ilk on celluloid in myriad regional language versions.

The acting too is loud and theatrical, impeded further by the lack of any popular face though that should not be a major hindrance as it doesn't take long if a show is popular to create its own stars. The televised adaptation of this Arabian Nights' classic has its moments but they are few and far between. But for the show to make a mark its presentation and telling has to be majorly updated. As of now, Disney's cartoon series on the folk hero still remains a more entertaining and visually engaging take for revisiting this popular tale.

Verdict:
This one seriously needs a wish fulfilling jinn to spruce up its act and fortunes.

http://www.screenindia.com/fullstory.php?content_id=18305

Shariefah thumbnail

Aladdin comes alive once again on small screen Madhur Tankha
Zee TV's new serial to trace the legendary hero's adventurous journey of life
— Photo: Shiv Kumar Pushpakar

NEW VENTURE: Stars Mandar (right) and Arjun Dutt (left) in a scene from their upcoming TV serial "Aladdin".

NEW DELHI: Narrating the tale of a 15-year-old boy who loses his parents under a cloud of mystery is Zee TV's new tele-serial "Aladdin." The soap opera, which was premiered on November 16, follows the legendary Aladdin on his journey through a maze of curious developments in his life.

During his adventurous journey, Aladdin stumbles upon the magic lamp, crosses swords with the villainous Jafer, manipulates the genie to his advantage and falls in love with Princess Jasmine.

Produced by Applause Entertainment, the serial has a vibrant young cast. While the protagonist's role is being played by Mandar, actor Nazea Hasan plays Princess Jasmine. Ranvijay Razdan of serials "Kasamh Se" and "Kaisa Yeh Pyar Hai" fame plays the evil Jafer.

Before taking up the acting assignment, 21-year-old Mandar says he discussed the character of Aladdin with scriptwriter Meenakshi Sagar. "I saw the film 'Arabian Nights' and read books on the subject. The director was looking for someone who resembled Aladdin and I am gifted with the features of the fictional character!"

"A challenge"

Stating that it was a dream come true to play the popular fictional character, Mandar says: "More than an experience, the serial has been a challenge for me because we are presenting this fictional character as a real boy facing real life hardships. As a boy I aspired to be a part of 'Aladdin Ka Chirag' and today I am playing the most popular fictional character!"

Described as total entertainment for the entire family, the serial is based on the age-old Arabian folk tale but some deviations from the story have been made. The serial's shooting is being done at Vadodara, where a huge set with an Arabian touch has been constructed. The animation department is working in Mumbai.

Bringing alive on television the all too familiar story of Aladdin that we have all grown up reading, the serial has used amazing special effects that will surely amuse the kids. When the show begins, Aladdin is portrayed as a reticent boy. His only friend is Junaid with whom he shares his joy and sorrow. Genie's entry brings about a change in Aladdin and he becomes confident and courageous….

Arjun Dutt, who plays the genie, says: "As a child, I acted in Ramanand Sagar's mythological show 'Amar Chitra Katha'. I have seen Aladdin's cartoon show and know that the genie keeps changing his character."

Commenting on the series, Punit Goenka of Zee TV, says the launch of "Aladdin" in the weekend primetime is part of the channel's endeavour to innovate and enter fresh domains of entertainment. "Fantasy as a genre is relatively unexplored and our series with its magical appeal, novel treatment and exciting special effects will definitely connect with the audience."

aditi_alvira thumbnail
hey do u want any information abt alvira??????????
shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Love is in the air

A love story is playing on the sets of Zee TV's Aladdin. The lead actor Mandar Jadhav, who plays Aladdin and the actress Nazia, who plays Princess Jasmin seem to be taken up with each other both on and off screen. Sources from the sets reveal that the duo is seen together at all times. To complicate matters, the sets of this show are in Baroda. Earlier the two would fly back to their families during weekends, but now that option seems to have closed completely. The two would rather love to spend time with each other. Apparently the chemistry between the two is so good that even after the director yells 'cut', the duo continue to be engrossed in the scene, rather each other.

http://www.screenindia.com/news/Love-is-in-the-air/289115/
Shariefah thumbnail

I feel so lucky: Arjun
26 Feb 2008, 0000 hrs IST
,KRUPA KANSARA ,TNN

Arjun Dutt (TOI Photo)

For 19 year old Arjun Dutt essaying the role of genie in a fantasy show aired on weekends has been pretty easy.

Arjun who has grown up on a dose of fantasy fiction, Arjun admits that he even relates to his character a "lot. For me playing a character I grew up reading about is something of a fairy-tale. I really enjoy every bit of it."

Arjun who's doing his graduation in Arts from a Mumbai college was in town to promote his new TV show. And for someone who has barely begun his career as an actor, he seems to have learnt the right words to. "Acting comes natural to me. And with this serial, every day is a challenge, to learn new things, to explore new avenues," he says.

An accidental trip to the studio landed him the role. "Actually I like experimenting with my hairstyle. At that point of time I had shaved my head completely and was in the studio with my friend, who was auditioning for Aladdin. When he pushed me, I thought why not and ended up being selected. Now, the sad part is, I have to rush to the salon every day so that I can maintain the look. The hairdresser is like my best buddy now," Arjun says with a twinkle in his eyes.

And the role also demands, that Arjun doesn't have to diet at all and can look round and healthy. "I get to eat a lot everyday and my director doesn't mind it one bit. But the best perk about the job? Children love me. So if the make-up man takes a lot of time in painting blue body paint over me after every shot, I can ignore it sometimes, when I think of all the love and affection that I keep getting from my fans. That I need to spend two hours to wash off the make-up everyday, is a story that I shall tell you some other day," he grins cheekily.

And if some genie grants him his wishes, what would Arjun ask for? Pat comes the reply, "Hmm... firstly, I would ask for a tanker full of my favourite cold drink. Secondly, I want lots and lots of money and happiness for everyone. And last but not the least, I want a nice girlfriend," he smiles.

Hope, some of your wishes are actually granted dear genie!

Soure: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Entertainment/I_feel_so_l ucky_Arjun/rssarticleshow/2811176.cms

garvi_veer thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=966163&TPN=1 &#16764316