Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Folk Aficionados

Posted: 3 months ago

Artists who never won a Grammy: smiley3smiley3

Jimi Hendrix, Queen, ABBA, The Beach Boys, Diana Ross, The Who, Buddy Holly, Journey, Bob Marley, Janis Joplin, The Doors and The Grateful Dead.  

Source: X

The Grammies just went down underground in my estimation.

Why I always say awards are meaningless...

ABBA never got one? Hendrix? Joplin? Queen? The Grateful Dead? smiley8

These people are LEGENDS! 

Edited by LizzieBennet - 3 months ago
Viswasruti thumbnail

Dance Divas

I was astounded to hear Kishori Amonkar's voice in Geet Gaya Patharone for the first time. I thought, "This is like a boundaryless, sweet flow of music... an uncontrollably emotional overflow of a few tunes!" 

With my newly found interest in this Gana Saraswathi, I started reading many stories about her with awe. 

I am sharing a few with you all--

She was awarded two of India's top civilian honors, Padma Bhushan and Padma Vibhushan. 

Kishori Amonkar was known for her unique interpretation of the Jaipur gharana, Kishori Amonkar is considered one of the best singers in the Hindustani tradition. A group of musicians with a common musical style is known as a gharana.

Being a well-known classical singer, she never tolerated interruptions during her performance and used to assume that the audience would pay close attention. 

Interviews are unpleasant for Kishori Amonkar. She doesn't like to discuss her music with strangers, in addition to thinking they are a waste of time "because they take away important minutes from her daily riyaz and teaching." Therefore, it wasn't shocking when one of the greatest classical voices of all time abandoned a group of journalists  outside her hotel suite in Delhi once, and turned down a scheduled interview. "I'm tired right now. Ask them to come home to discuss," she told them from behind the door, as her student Nandini Bedekar gave them an apologetic look!! 

Amonkar has variously been headlined as a “tempestuous diva” (Business Standard), an “elusive prima donna” (Wire.in), “a diva…ferocious feline…unique all the way” (Pune Mirror), and “the reigning diva of the Hindustani classical stage” (Scroll.in), while celebrity editor Shobhaa De’s ‘How to be a Chick’ column described her as “fiery, mercurial, magnificent, majestic, [and] moody”. You get the picture – partly because these terms have a familiar ring (…echoes of Nina Simone?).

Well-substantiated tales of Amonkar’s uncompromising antics range from scolding politicians for their cultural cluelessness to repeatedly shouting “sit up” at front-row dignitaries who were slumping mid-raga. Fiercely protective of her time, she rarely gave interviews – no-showing to those she did agree to, and on other occasions quizzing the journalist on abstruse aspects of raga geometry before proceeding (“How will you interview me if you don’t know classical music well?”). Scornful of standard critical accolades, she dismissed the validity of the Bharat Ratna – India’s highest civilian award – on the basis that it had also been given out to a mere cricketer: Sachin Tendulkar.

“She was once about to perform at the Gulmarg Golf Club in Kashmir, where the audience included then Chief Minister Farooq Abdullah. Someone began passing a platter of pears around. Amonkar refused to sing further. When an industrialist’s wife once ordered a paan during her performance, Amonkar screamed, ‘Am I a kothewali to you?’ From editors and politicians to industrialists and famous artistes, many have faced Amonkar’s wrath during concerts…”

https://ragatip.com/why-oversimplify-pt-2-kishori-amonkar/

( Information Credit: Google)

Viswasruti thumbnail

Dance Divas

Lizzie, I appreciate you creating this much-needed topic. We'd all want to know a little bit about the facts, the distinctive styles and interests of musicians and singers in their everyday lives. smiley32 

dusk2dawn thumbnail

Thank you for taggin Lizzie smiley31

this is an amazing thread and your research about all music legends is phenomenal. 

The thing that shocked me some of the greatest names in music history has never won a grammy… such as Jimi Hendrix, Queen, ABBA, The Beach Boys, Diana Ross, Bob Marley I am like seriously?? 
All I see is taylor swift everywhere smiley39( Apologies to all swifities in advance ) 

Is the award losing its credibility like the pan masala awards we have back home?? smiley38smiley44

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Folk Aficionados

Originally posted by: dusk2dawn

Thank you for taggin Lizzie smiley31

this is an amazing thread and your research about all music legends is phenomenal. 

The thing that shocked me some of the greatest names in music history has never won a grammy… such as Jimi Hendrix, Queen, ABBA, The Beach Boys, Diana Ross, Bob Marley I am like seriously?? 
All I see is taylor swift everywhere smiley39( Apologies to all swifities in advance ) 

Is the award losing its credibility like the pan masala awards we have back home?? smiley38smiley44

Perhaps the cause is also the times they were active in. There were so many amazing artists then. Hard to choose. It's easier these days for someone with even mediocre talent to win. Back then, you had to be phenomenal. 

Still, the Grammies have made many bad calls imo. smiley13

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Folk Aficionados

https://x.com/FilmHistoryPic/status/1731275086575882264?s=20

Which is your favorite song from Andaz & Barsaat?

anonymouse1 thumbnail
Engager 1 Thumbnail Expressionist (February 2021) 1 Thumbnail + 7
LizzieBennet thumbnail

Folk Aficionados

Originally posted by: anonymouse1

Nice thread Riya. thanks for the tag.

K. Asif was such a perfectionist! I didn't know this story about rewriting 105 times but I've heard about the lengths he went to to get Bade Ghulam Ali Khan Saab to sing Prem Jogan banke and then had the gall to tell him his first take wasn't okay! 

surajhere thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Viswasruti

Well-substantiated tales of Amonkar’s uncompromising antics range from scolding politicians for their cultural cluelessness to repeatedly shouting “sit up” at front-row dignitaries who were slumping mid-raga. Fiercely protective of her time, she rarely gave interviews – no-showing to those she did agree to, and on other occasions quizzing the journalist on abstruse aspects of raga geometry before proceeding (“How will you interview me if you don’t know classical music well?”). Scornful of standard critical accolades, she dismissed the validity of the Bharat Ratna – India’s highest civilian award – on the basis that it had also been given out to a mere cricketer: Sachin Tendulkar.

“She was once about to perform at the Gulmarg Golf Club in Kashmir, where the audience included then Chief Minister Farooq Abdullah. Someone began passing a platter of pears around. Amonkar refused to sing further. When an industrialist’s wife once ordered a paan during her performance, Amonkar screamed, ‘Am I a kothewali to you?’ From editors and politicians to industrialists and famous artistes, many have faced Amonkar’s wrath during concerts…”

https://ragatip.com/why-oversimplify-pt-2-kishori-amonkar/

( Information Credit: Google)

It was ok for her to accept Padma Bhushan in 1987 when Gavaskar had received the same award already in 1980 ?  Was Gavaskar not a mere cricketer ?