Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Shalzie thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 1 years ago

Originally posted by: mango.falooda

maybe it is the lighting. originally his house didn't seem that interesting. 

Maybe...Viaan's house is also undergoing a transformation like Viaan himself.

mango.falooda thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

youtube randomly recommended this video to me -- it is a great looking house and perfectly describes the aesthetics this drama is trying to convey --using natural materials in unconventional ways, using traditional craft techniques that weather well for years, focusing on sustainability as well as being inspired by Indian heritage.

I have been continously cribbing about katha's wardrobe (as well as the other women in office). in my mind, she should have a similar design sense to this interior designer. that would have made more sense. 

I feel the writers were trying to convey concepts like these but for whatever reason, we ended up getting presentations with random pottery in slides and continous use of synthetic nylon tops in traffic signal colours. πŸ‘ŽπŸΌ UGH!!!!

https://youtu.be/RSiyDIJD-24

P.S -- thought I will post the vid here rather than DT. enjoy your weekend folks!

Edited by mango.falooda - 1 years ago
a2zahid thumbnail

Originally posted by: Param-Sundari

I started today mango ji, my pace will be slow and now i really don't want to spoil it for myself by reading your post sorry πŸ˜†

Absolutely love katha. Crisp and inspiring. After Manmeet (from sherdil shergil) this is promising representation of modern woman on ITV, I'm looking forward to how this unfolds.

I think sherdil shergil started off really good but then it got too saas bhau for my liking but stil watch all of it because me and my mum used to watch it together 

I hope katha don’t go that way 

mango.falooda thumbnail

Originally posted by: mili9

Good discussion girls!!! 

Can I complain about that glittery, polyester green shirt of Katha?smiley21 And those pants. Are they supposed to be ankle length crops? Take it from me, ankle length crops look odd on not so tall( shortsmiley18) people. I am no fashion police, just from personal experience.

yes, you can complain. I have been doing that for many days now in DT. πŸ˜†

katha looks like a traffic signal -- yellow, red or green -- and all of these synthetic nylon tops are absolutely awful.

as ssp mentioned in DT, the makers need to visit a real office to see what clothes people wear. it drives me nuts that all the women wear these synthetic tops with pants. the underlying subtext seems to be -- this is professional dress. 

that kind of messaging really annoys me -- Indian women working in offices wear all sorts of outfits including saris, salwars, indowestern as well as western. there is no one professional look. 

I also don't like the subtext implication that women in STEM type professions need to be all looking uniformly bad and cannot dress up in our traditional clothes if they want to be taken seriously. so whether it is katha or the women in office, it is a big thumbs down from me. πŸ‘ŽπŸΌ

katha is basically like many FLs with super boring wardrobe -- in other serials, they will have all salwars in the same cut and style but different colours and so it feels like uniform. katha is essentially dressed the same but difference is pants and top. πŸ€¦

the other reason her wardrobe downright irks me is because architecture here is like a hidden side character. if you see my post above in this thread, the drama is talking about real trends and themes in the space. that is why I am responding to you here mili. 

I watch lots of programmes on youtube as well as on TV on design. it is something fun to watch and destress. clients and designers who are drawn to that kind of aesthetic have a certain kind of personal style -- they purposely wear natural fabrics like cotton, jute, silk and want their clothes to display those kind of traditional weaves, prints and craftsmanship especially when they are presenting the house. 

because katha is not appropriately dressed, her chatter about using traditional techniques, being connected to heritage and craftsmanship does not come across properly. it feels very half baked. her pottery slides are a great example of how it looked so amateur.  

everytime earthcon makes those presentations, we just roll our eyes. so the wardrobe isn't just a fail but a stumbling block in presenting the story and how this company has unique design philosophy -- well if they are so into this kind of space, no one in the office is reflecting that in their wardrobe. 

on the other hand, if the Gfamily was into this kind of design aesthetic, I would buy it because it reflects even in their wardrobe. every member of the Gfamily is well dressed and so is farah and teji. they all look different but it blends in with their personality and status. this is such a weird drama in that the moms have a great wardrobe and style hands down in comparison with the FL. πŸ€¦

Shalzie thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

If I had a tag line for you M, it would be 'Mango jaisi koi nahin!'🀣 Your DP cracks me up every time!

Ok back to the topic of clothes...

Excluding the yellow outfits, I don't really mind Katha's clothes. My problem is with her black sandals!🀣Someone throw those out please!

In my country, working women usually wear formal dresses, suits, blouses on pants/skirts, and wear traditional outfits during festivities. It's rare to come across people who wear traditional outfits to work on a daily basis nowadays. I don't really know how working women dress in your country. In the show, I like the way Jenny is dressed in her office wear. MamaG is simply stylish. I think that she's the best dressed character I have come across in any ITV show. Jyoti simply looks fab. Can't believe that she is the same villain we used to love to hate in Imlie!🀣Farah and Teji also come across well. I think that Rewa used to be well-dressed too. No comments on your Reet! Poor lady has only 3-4 clothes in the show! She is a very poor rich bahu!

I will be silly, and say that makers are kind of in a dilemma on how to present Katha. She had spent all her money on Aarav. Monkey Mother is probably saving for the future, and probably has a few pants. She probably went to a shop, and got different colours of the same blouse! The dark green on dark blue pants was a big no-no for me! But if I recall correctly, didn't she use to wear some nice jumpsuits in the beginning? There was a white one with black stripes...a pale maroon one also.

The only one whose dressing sense I really do not like on the show is Meera. She's a lovely girl but they are making her wear some really awful outfits.

M, I have never followed a show where the audience was actually happy with the FL's clothes!🀣

amrapali2 thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Anniversary 1 Thumbnail

katha looks like a traffic signal -- yellow, red or green -- and all of these synthetic nylon tops are absolutely awful.

as ssp mentioned in DT, the makers need to visit a real office to see what clothes people wear. it drives me nuts that all the women wear these synthetic tops with pants. the underlying subtext seems to be -- this is professional dress. 

that kind of messaging really annoys me -- Indian women working in offices wear all sorts of outfits including saris, salwars, indowestern as well as western. there is no one professional look. 

I also don't like the subtext implication that women in STEM type professions need to be all looking uniformly bad and cannot dress up in our traditional clothes if they want to be taken seriously. so whether it is katha or the women in office, it is a big thumbs down from me. πŸ‘ŽπŸΌ

katha is basically like many FLs with super boring wardrobe -- in other serials, they will have all salwars in the same cut and style but different colours and so it feels like uniform. katha is essentially dressed the same but difference is pants and top. πŸ€¦

the other reason her wardrobe downright irks me is because architecture here is like a hidden side character. if you see my post above in this thread, the drama is talking about real trends and themes in the space. that is why I am responding to you here mili. 

I watch lots of programmes on youtube as well as on TV on design. it is something fun to watch and destress. clients and designers who are drawn to that kind of aesthetic have a certain kind of personal style -- they purposely wear natural fabrics like cotton, jute, silk and want their clothes to display those kind of traditional weaves, prints and craftsmanship especially when they are presenting the house. 

because katha is not appropriately dressed, her chatter about using traditional techniques, being connected to heritage and craftsmanship does not come across properly. it feels very half baked. her pottery slides are a great example of how it looked so amateur.  

everytime earthcon makes those presentations, we just roll our eyes. so the wardrobe isn't just a fail but a stumbling block in presenting the story and how this company has unique design philosophy -- well if they are so into this kind of space, no one in the office is reflecting that in their wardrobe. 

on the other hand, if the Gfamily was into this kind of design aesthetic, I would buy it because it reflects even in their wardrobe. every member of the Gfamily is well dressed and so is farah and teji. they all look different but it blends in with their personality and status. this is such a weird drama in that the moms have a great wardrobe and style hands down in comparison with the FL. πŸ€¦

Yes, you are right about the lack of...I don't know, but I guess flavour in Katha's clothes. Initially I used to feel that the repeating clothes and accessories (like her black handbag) was due to the makers' intention to mirror real life, where we all repeat clothing. So I appreciate the makers for their intention. But as a viewer, I am increasingly getting bored. I mean, a woman can be dressed fashionably even on a budget, while repeating clothes! Maybe Katha's character isn't someone who cares much about clothes though? But that fact is just boring for the sake of the viewer, as we don't have much to look forward to in terms of the FL's aesthetics. I feel that Katha's character could have had the potential of being the fashion inspiration of so many working woman across the country, but the makers don't wish to do that I guess. 

If the clothes are not that great, at least the accessories could have been better in my opinion. I am someone who loves jewellery, so I longed to see different kind of jewellery on Katha. But Aditi said in an interview that she is allergic to metal, so I can't blame about this aspect. But accessories also include handbags, scarfs, and other small details. And these aspects are completely missing from the show. 

I get the approach that the makers are trying to take with Katha, but I do definitely wish that Katha was presented more as a fashion icon for working women in India. In fact, that might even raise the popularity of the show, along with the interest. There are so many shows which have become popular due to fashion after all! 

But I have to appreciate the hairstylist of Katha. I personally love the hairstyles that Katha wears in each episode. 

MayaFruitbae thumbnail
Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Most of them are dressed good in the show except for the leads . 

I am ok with Kathaa ,because other FL are mostly like decorated christmas trees . So much accessories they have . Compared to that i like Kathaa's costumes . But yes they too are boring with respect to same colour and type .

In office people do wear Kurtis and mix of indo western clothes . Not just pants and tops of same shade . Now a days nice skirts n tops are too accepted in offices . Shamita had a good wardrobe . I liked her seducing dress πŸ˜¬πŸ˜›

For me the most irritating is Viaan's costume . I feel like he is suffocated in it .why is it necessary that the head of the company should always wear suits . In that I love Ehsan's costumes .

I like Dodo also ,dupatta at home is quite off but she is elegant . 

mango.falooda thumbnail

kekeke... shalzie, I am the type to swoon over antique furniture. πŸ€£ so I do have a kind of love affair with this type of design aesthetic.

it took me a while to understand what katha was trying to convey though in terms of design aesthetics. things like rooh and using natural materials -- already happening. earthcon makes her sound like a unicorn but she is not hahahaha.... 

many architects are using traditional techniques like lime plastoring on outside walls to give a kind of certain look as well as save on paint. we are also going back to designs like mangalore tile roofs and so you have high ceilings with traditional skylights designs which lets in plenty of light and air and thus cooling the house. 

there are also technqiues like using the chettinad/kerala type inner courtyard in many south indian homes and updating that for the modern house. when it comes to interior design, people are doing a mix of old and new. so things like teak furniture with bamboo weaves and updating it with lots of moden design cushions. or taking your grandfather's old cabinet shelf and giving it a new polish. 

so yes, there are plenty of fun things to watch and those house designs are so swoon worthy. πŸ€—

aditi had a better wardrobe in her previous drama and I even considered some of her suits while going to the tailor. so it just seems this drama is a horrible fail in that regard. hahahahha.... 

that said, I am thinking of fabindia type wardrobe aesthetic when it comes to someone who wants to be in sustainability and building inspired by history and heritage. 

https://youtu.be/BNkWSdTY-94

(the house used in this ad totally makes my heart sing. πŸ˜)

I do agree with you the makers are confused on what they are trying to convey. no one living here would buy that an architect cannot afford to buy some new kurti tops for herself. I wish they just got her simple embroidered plain cotton kurtis -- that would not have been such an eyesore. πŸ˜†

mango.falooda thumbnail

Originally posted by: Fruitbae

Most of them are dressed good in the show except for the leads . 

I am ok with Kathaa ,because other FL are mostly like decorated christmas trees . So much accessories they have . Compared to that i like Kathaa's costumes . But yes they too are boring with respect to same colour and type .

In office people do wear Kurtis and mix of indo western clothes . Not just pants and tops of same shade . Now a days nice skirts n tops are too accepted in offices . Shamita had a good wardrobe . I liked her seducing dress πŸ˜¬πŸ˜›

For me the most irritating is Viaan's costume . I feel like he is suffocated in it .why is it necessary that the head of the company should always wear suits . In that I love Ehsan's costumes .

I like Dodo also ,dupatta at home is quite off but she is elegant . 

yaar; am so used to these MLs wearing suits but I always wonder why. I have never seen men wearing suits in office unless they are in stockholder meeting or something. even there, sometimes, it just plain shirt and pants. 

plus it is so freaking hot and humid here -- who would want to wear suit even in a/c office. that too with waistcoat? everyday? too much indeed! 

ehsaan definitely looks better dressed and it is entertaining to see the wide variety of suit colours. πŸ˜†

I wish both men would wear more linen shirts -- it is something more expensive and would give that rich look. 😁

How to style a linen shirt 3 ways | UNIQLO TODAY | UNIQLO EU

also agree with you -- dodo has some nice suits and next to katha, she looks far more well dressed. for someone who is supposedly homeless, she has a far nicer collection of clothes. πŸ˜‚

mango.falooda thumbnail

Originally posted by: amrapali2

Yes, you are right about the lack of...I don't know, but I guess flavour in Katha's clothes. Initially I used to feel that the repeating clothes and accessories (like her black handbag) was due to the makers' intention to mirror real life, where we all repeat clothing. So I appreciate the makers for their intention. But as a viewer, I am increasingly getting bored. I mean, a woman can be dressed fashionably even on a budget, while repeating clothes! Maybe Katha's character isn't someone who cares much about clothes though? But that fact is just boring for the sake of the viewer, as we don't have much to look forward to in terms of the FL's aesthetics. I feel that Katha's character could have had the potential of being the fashion inspiration of so many working woman across the country, but the makers don't wish to do that I guess. 

If the clothes are not that great, at least the accessories could have been better in my opinion. I am someone who loves jewellery, so I longed to see different kind of jewellery on Katha. But Aditi said in an interview that she is allergic to metal, so I can't blame about this aspect. But accessories also include handbags, scarfs, and other small details. And these aspects are completely missing from the show. 

I get the approach that the makers are trying to take with Katha, but I do definitely wish that Katha was presented more as a fashion icon for working women in India. In fact, that might even raise the popularity of the show, along with the interest. There are so many shows which have become popular due to fashion after all! 

But I have to appreciate the hairstylist of Katha. I personally love the hairstyles that Katha wears in each episode. 

high five -- love how you are able to translate what I was trying to convey and give the right phrasing. πŸ₯°

I am actually surprised that ITV does not do more product placement and sync with labels and brands. it is such a wasted opportunity. if they went that route, the FLs would be far more interesting to watch. plus production would make money!!  

there have been few serials like bepannah where I loved watching what people wore. given that this drama is set in architecture, it feels ironic to have such a boring FL wardrobe. like you said, even accessories would set it apart and make it feel less like an uniform or traffic signal. πŸ˜†