Na Umra Ki Seema Ho

The Mahabharata Influence

Anupreeya thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

From charector names to charector descriptions, this show seems heavily inspired by Mahabharata and I mean that in a good way. I really like mythological stories and to see positively moulded contemporary shows based on mythological epics is heartwarming for me. Other shows with Mahabharata influence have been aired on TV but mostly they focus on the Kaurava-Pandava conflict, not on these sets of characters that are portrayed on this show.

Same Name and Similar Charectors -

Debabrata - The dutiful son making a vow to take care of his family and who puts his family and father's legacy ahead of himself his entire life. The different take here is that he vowed not to marry till he got his siblings married (in Mahabharata, it was for life, which was somewhat hinted in today's episode).

Amba - This charector was obsessed with revenge from Debabrata in Mahabharata, but the angle portrayed here is also somewhat there, not the love angle but she did ask him to marry her initially before vowing for revenge.

Satyavati - Her middle class origins, hinted upon by her connection to her roots after all these years (she adores the Karele ki Chilke ki sabzi made by Vidhi's mother). Unlike her namesake in Mahabharata, she is invested in her son's (Devabrata's) happiness and actually cares what happens to him.

Different Names but Similar Charectors -

Abhimanyu - Though the name originates from Mahabharata, the charector is of Satyavati's son Vichitravirya. The assumed rightful heir who doesn't want to do anything with the family legacy and is considered good for nothing in popular opinion.

Priya - The wronged daughter-in-law who is bounded by regulations of family, Priya represents Ambika, Vichitravirya's wife. Also, Debabrata played a major role in her married to Satyavati's son in Mahabharata as well, which was hinted at, few episodes back.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

AreYaar thumbnail

Hey nice post :) 

I also noticed the Mahabharat based themes they were using and we discussed this in some threads a few weeks back😆

The base influence is obvious with how they've literally lifted character names like Devrath, Amba and Satyavati....but then they've added some variations and put their own khichdi....lol

Amba just wanted revenge from Bhishma in the original....here she is psychotically obsessed with being his wife. 

The closest parallel is in the Devrath-Satyavati relationship which they seem to have mostly lifted exactly from Mahabharat vis a vis both of them being devoted to the family name and propping up the family heirs at any cost....lol....and we don't really know yet how much she actually cares for Dev....the fact that Dev feels the need to hide from her that he goes to visit his birth mom's home (Baal ghar) indicates all is not transparent between them. 

Dev's family is all picked from Mahabharat's characters but Vidhi is a total outlier.....lol there is no parallel to her in Mahabharat or any other epic. 

kooki07 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3

I'm just curious about the family business its all belong to the Abhi and his mum is from the middle class family ,if the business belongs to their father then it should be for all 3 of his kids because his mother was not a rich lady from her back ground ?

Anupreeya thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: AreYaar

Hey nice post :) 

I also noticed the Mahabharat based themes they were using and we discussed this in some threads a few weeks back😆

The base influence is obvious with how they've literally lifted character names like Devrath, Amba and Satyavati....but then they've added some variations and put their own khichdi....lol

Amba just wanted revenge from Bhishma in the original....here she is psychotically obsessed with being his wife. 

The closest parallel is in the Devrath-Satyavati relationship which they seem to have mostly lifted exactly from Mahabharat vis a vis both of them being devoted to the family name and propping up the family heirs at any cost....lol....and we don't really know yet how much she actually cares for Dev....the fact that Dev feels the need to hide from her that he goes to visit his birth mom's home (Baal ghar) indicates all is not transparent between them. 

Dev's family is all picked from Mahabharat's characters but Vidhi is a total outlier.....lol there is no parallel to her in Mahabharat or any other epic. 

About the Balghar incident, I think it can be Satyavati's insecurity regarding Dev's mother, as some people have. If he is still attached to his biological mother, he wouldn't consider her as his mother, something like that. And Dev respects her so much that he overlooks her insecurity and tries to protect her by lying to her.

AreYaar thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: kooki07

I'm just curious about the family business its all belong to the Abhi and his mum is from the middle class family ,if the business belongs to their father then it should be for all 3 of his kids because his mother was not a rich lady from her back ground ?

I think Satyavati is saying that the family business belongs to Abhi probably cuz Dev convinced his father to agree to any such conditions when he married Satyavati.....that is how it was in the Mahabharat that Bhishma convinced his dad to appoint Satyavati's son as the successor. 

Dev is calling himself a caretaker because the intention always was to turn the business over to Abhi....but Abhi himself doesn't seem interested so Dev-Satyavati are trying to manage the business in the interim. Even if Dev is the legitimate oldest son, it looks like whatever happened with Satyavati joining the family by marrying Dev's dad involved some kind of discussion around securing the future of her kids.

Dev's birth mother has nothing to do with this....I think she was probably a rich lady too and died for whatever reason.....issue is mostly about how Dev's stepmom Satyavati wants security for the future of the kids she birthed directly and Dev is supporting her on that cuz of his mahaanta😆

Edited by AreYaar - 1 years ago
kooki07 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3

Sorry I don't like that type of maranta how can they change the rules and laws for their own convent.

moonsmine thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Yep I think the show is loosely based on the bhishma satyavati story...and today they cleared that devrath  has actually taken a vow to not marry i think ever..the way dev got angry today i think he's really serious about not marrying and if the cvs are planning to get the leads married that would be the focus of I guess angst between them ..

HahaHeheHuhu9 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: Anupreeya

From charector names to charector descriptions, this show seems heavily inspired by Mahabharata and I mean that in a good way. I really like mythological stories and to see positively moulded contemporary shows based on mythological epics is heartwarming for me. Other shows with Mahabharata influence have been aired on TV but mostly they focus on the Kaurava-Pandava conflict, not on these sets of characters that are portrayed on this show.

Same Name and Similar Charectors -

Debabrata - The dutiful son making a vow to take care of his family and who puts his family and father's legacy ahead of himself his entire life. The different take here is that he vowed not to marry till he got his siblings married (in Mahabharata, it was for life, which was somewhat hinted in today's episode).

Amba - This charector was obsessed with revenge from Debabrata in Mahabharata, but the angle portrayed here is also somewhat there, not the love angle but she did ask him to marry her initially before vowing for revenge.

Satyavati - Her middle class origins, hinted upon by her connection to her roots after all these years (she adores the Karele ki Chilke ki sabzi made by Vidhi's mother). Unlike her namesake in Mahabharata, she is invested in her son's (Devabrata's) happiness and actually cares what happens to him.

Different Names but Similar Charectors -

Abhimanyu - Though the name originates from Mahabharata, the charector is of Satyavati's son Vichitravirya. The assumed rightful heir who doesn't want to do anything with the family legacy and is considered good for nothing in popular opinion.

Priya - The wronged daughter-in-law who is bounded by regulations of family, Priya represents Ambika, Vichitravirya's wife. Also, Debabrata played a major role in her married to Satyavati's son in Mahabharata as well, which was hinted at, few episodes back.

Awesome take! I relate to everything said here! 

One point I thought is interesting is that the onscreen Satyavati, though good at heart, isn't a mother to Dev. How much she cares about Dev should be judged not just by her words but by her actions as well. If she had really cared enough, she wouldn't have allowed Dev to remain unmarried and sacrifice his life and happiness for so long. 

Suppose she wasn't his step mom but real mom and suppose his siblings were actually his biological siblings - then I doubt Dev would have had to sacrifice so much after his father's death for his family. That family would have included him too - and wouldn't have just been his responsibility to bear. 

HahaHeheHuhu9 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: AreYaar

I think Satyavati is saying that the family business belongs to Abhi probably cuz Dev convinced his father to agree to any such conditions when he married Satyavati.....that is how it was in the Mahabharat that Bhishma convinced his dad to appoint Satyavati's son as the successor. 

Dev is calling himself a caretaker because the intention always was to turn the business over to Abhi....but Abhi himself doesn't seem interested so Dev-Satyavati are trying to manage the business in the interim. Even if Dev is the legitimate oldest son, it looks like whatever happened with Satyavati joining the family by marrying Dev's dad involved some kind of discussion around securing the future of her kids.

Dev's birth mother has nothing to do with this....I think she was probably a rich lady too and died for whatever reason.....issue is mostly about how Dev's stepmom Satyavati wants security for the future of the kids she birthed directly and Dev is supporting her on that cuz of his mahaanta😆

@ bold - Exactly! That's what the issue was about in Mahabharata as well!

And the price Devrath pays for his father's happiness and second marriage at an older age, is that he himself sacrifices his life and happiness by vowing to never marry. 

It's nice to see a modern take on Devrath Bhishma's tale and how he finds a partner in Vidhi (meaning destiny). 

Edited by HahaHeheHuhu9 - 1 years ago