Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

LizzieBennet thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

I just made this post on my tumblr πŸ˜†

Could the showrunners make up their mind about the Sharmas’ origins?

Sharma is a North Indian surname, but Kate and Edwina refer to their dad as Appa (and Kate called her mom Amma) which is what South Indians do.

And then Kate calls Edwina β€˜Bon’ which is Bengali and East Indian.

And they’re from Bombay which is in the Western part of India!

Like did they really put in cultural references from every part of India? 

And I don’t even know what to make of Kate’s name - Kathani??? Sounds like Kathony tbh - lol

LizzieBennet thumbnail
Originally posted by: EuphoricDamsel.

Things I Liked :

EDWINA! She's better than the book Edwina. She's not docile and has a significant part to play in the story. Outdid herself in Ep-6. Yes I agree, she was more fleshed out, but Book! Edwina was more perceptive and clued in about Kate's feelings.

Anthony + Violet + Edmund FBs. I loved how they incorporated that in the show. We weren't given much of it in the book. YES TO THIS A THOUSAND TIMES! BABY!ANTHONY HAS MY HEART!

THE FIRST MEET. I cannot get over it in million lifetimes. Kate goes "Oh Baap Re!" and I'd be lying if I said I understood it the first hand, had to replay LMAO. 

Yep me too, I love their first meet and I loved that look of incredulity on Anthony's face when he first sees her riding astride, and then when they part, that SMILE! Anthony had never smiled like that - not that we had seen

Each one of Kate's emotional monologues.

THE BANTER. Period.  THE BANTER IS EVERYTHING - FIGHT ME ON THIS, and Jimone play it brilliantly often speaking over each other which is what arguments/bantering really is like.

Anthony loosing his breath after catching Kate's eyes in the poetry scene. That was greatttt. Hmm, I must re-look this scene again. Tbh I have been caught up on so many little things that they do when they react to each other that I'm simply floored at the acting choices. So subtle but so good!

Lady D giving Kate back on her philosophy of life! I liked it! Almost maternal. Lady D and Kate scenes were good, Kate felt like a younger version of Lady D, they almost gave off a mother-daughter vibe to me at times.

Ed confused in Pall Mall. Book things >>>>  Ha ha, she was endearingly clueless but in the show I felt more sorry for her. She seemed totally out of depth (again Charithra acting choice here) and it was plain to see that Edwina felt left out among the others - she did not have the cutthroat cimpetitive spirit of the others ( which brings to mind what Daph says about Kate: that she is an aberration πŸ˜†), and then questioning if she's not secretly a Bridgerton)

Every one of Violet + Anthony scenes. OH GOD YES TO THIS, Ruth and JB play off each other really well, and the fact that Anthony thinks his siblings and mother secretly despise him is just ripping my heart in tiny, painful shreds. πŸ˜­

That little snippet of Anthony going blank in the forest during the hunt when Kate pulls her gown up to cross. Lol. Chemistry. Chemistry. CHEMISTRY!! YES, the man doesn't know what hit him when he sees that little bit of bare skin. It was delicious! Tantalizing! I can see why he was thrown

ANTHONY IN THE SCENE HE SAVES KATE.  I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY< NO WORDS WERE MADE TO DESCRIBE MY EMOTIONS AT THIS! Just JB πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Anthony in the next second after Violet tells Kate is awake. JB nailed that breaking down! HE DESERVES ALL THE AWARDS FOR JUST THIS ONE SCENE AND IF THEY DON"T GIVE HIM ONE I WILL PERSONALLY SCULPT ONE FOR HIM. It hit so hard - the force of his love for Kate. 

GARDENSSS. Lol. Stupefied really.  HA HA YES! β˜ΊοΈ Never gonna recover from this one. Also I loved that that was the setting. It was more' freeing' somehow. I also love how it was totally consensual, like no hesitation on Kate's part (which was one part of the book that has me feeling slightly uncomfortable). I also liked how Kate is not insecure about her looks vis-a-vis Edwina ( I mean have you seen her?)

LAKE SCENE. πŸ€£ Yes! And they put the Newton + Serpentine + Wet and Angry Anthony from the book and also added jealous Anthony, plus we got the clingy, transparent white shirt as bonus! What's not to like?

You're the Bane of my existence! "And the object of all my desires. Night and day, I dream of you .." and his cuts off the next bit because we all know what erotic dreams he's been having! β˜ΊοΈ "Do you even knw all the ways a lady can be seduced? The things I could teach you.. And then basically goes on to tell her that if he married Edwina he would eventually cheat on her with Kate in a polite, Regency styled language πŸ˜†

Wedding Alter scene was done magnificently. Camera angles were FAB. The one thing that stood out for me was the blurring off of everyone else when Anthony imagines Kate in the wedding dress and that softening of his features and his gentle smile, you could feel that joy radiate off of him there (again JB πŸ‘ acing his acting, and I couldn't help but scream - Run away you idiots. Just elope, get married, have babies!)

Kathony in the closet. OH YES! Kathony anywhere alone together actually, but closet and the kangan was just breath-taking. I don't know - all of these Bollywoodish filmy cheesy tropey stuff they added in woulda seemed so cringe on paper but they made it work, man. I was RIVETED!

I enjoyed the K3G music actually DID NOT feel out of order. I am surprised. 

The personal ball of Bridgertons + Sharmas + Lady D! My hearttttt.  THIS THIS THIS THIS X 10000000000000000000000000!!! And Anthony starting it off was all the more endearing and him and Hyacinth! MY HEART! Then him with Lady D and ending in him and Kate. So SO GOOD!

The similarity trope between Kathony. Doing everything for everyone before them. They are mirrors for each other and I just said this elsewhere - loving each other also meant they could love a little of their own self. πŸ˜­

HAND STUFF.  In other words hand p*rn β˜ΊοΈ

Anthony+Gregory scene in the last episode. Veryyyy fatherly. Teared up.  OH MAN I did not expect this and when I first saw it, it was so so touching, so sweet, poignant. I have still not recovered from this scene and this is why I love this show because it throws such moments at you unexpectedly. But this one stood out for me all the more because you see Anthony being the father that Gregory never knew and it was all sorts of beautiful.

Things I DID NOT Like :

• FEATHERINGTON BS. Need I say more?! This is actually the most senseless plot and it went nowhere and tbh Mama F proclaiming in the end that her daughters are important to her came out of the left field because she's never shown that! 
  • Them completely eliminating Kate's trauma from her past- thunderstorms and father's death included. Yes, I would have loved this to be explored if they only had expanded on the library scene a bit and had them talking, you know? I loved the sexual tension but I also wanted them to have heart-to-heart convos that I missed from the books.
  • Violet and Daphne hounding El.
  • TOO LESS KATHONY FOR ME LMAO. YES GIVE ME ANOTHER ENTIRE SEASON OF THEM SHONDALAND I DEMAND IT - LOL
  • Kate being S1 Anthony in the Ball and sparring with Lady D! A little too harsh? Maybe.
  • El after episode 1. UNBEARABLE. 
  • TOO MUCH OF PEN + COLIN + EL. Simply too much, it was unbearable by later episodes. Yes I got so impatient to get to Kathony scenes that anything (other than Ben to an extent) that took screen time away from them started to grate, but especially these 3. But in Colin's defense I liked that little visit he paid to Marina. Also Will and Alice were entirely redundant this season.
  • THE QUEEN. I actually found her less unbearable this season than the last but really does she have nothing better to do than fix peoples' marriages and attend all the balls in town?
  • Anthony sending Dorset to Kate. Ughh. Whyyyyyy? I was hurt. I found this really funny actually. It came back and bit him in the ass later spectacularly! πŸ˜†
  • Very Less Newton! πŸ˜­ But that last scene with Kanthony being doggy parents IS EVERYTHING!
  • Them tweaking the library scene. They could have used more.πŸ’” YES YES YES YES YES
  • Them taking it to the wedding alter. You know I was cringing so hard when Edwina walked up the altar and it was all set and my heart was thudding like "Are they actually gonna do a Ross?" when Anthony starts dreaming of Kate, but then then Kangan fell and Ed noticed and the sheer drama of it was RIVETING. I know, I'm shameless πŸ˜† Also, Charithra got to show off her acting chops.
  • Robbing us off the "Who were you picturing?" / "I burn for you!" monologue. Yes i know this is an iconic piece of dialogue from the book but on thinking some about this I much prefer the way they did this in the show. It was totally consensual, Kate wanted it as much as Anthony did and there was no doubt in Kate's mind who he wanted, he had made it plenty clear. It was much more satisfying that their first time was like this (for me) and in lieu of the book!dialogue they gave us so much equally iconic stuff, so I'm totally okay with this. 'All I find myself being able to breathe for is you' is much more iconic than 'I burn for you' IMO. Also, the idea that Kate thinks herself inferior to Edwina in any way rankles and I'm glad they did away with that.
  • I wanted a little more of Anthony thinking of Kate yk? While on the bed...book readers would know what I am talking about! Yes, but there's so much more - the way he smells her scent... MY GOD! And all their 'almost' moments- it's always Anthony that draws closer, always Anthony that makes those scandalous confessions so I liked that all the dream bits - like K picturing him and then fanning herself, and K recalling their kiss and lovemaking moments - felt more justified. Also Bridgerton is about the 'female' gaze so yeah, Kate baby - go forth and lust for your man!

Things I didn't understand :

• Need for this much Featherington when they already had sub-plot of Lady W! INEXPLICABLE!
  • Theo Sharpe ??!! Whyyyyy??? I guess just so they could have that scandalous moment for El when she's besmirched by Lady W? Idk. yeah he didn't do much for me and franky anything that took away from the central storyline was irritating to me!
  • The finger gesture Anthony does in last dance?? *puts out three turns to four*  Oh this I actually found cute! He's teasing her because after running away from him for so long, she finally accepts that dance with him, stopping him from leaving and he thinks she must not be in her right mind when she's saying this, so he wants to check if she's high, first he shows her 3 fingers and she answers correctly to indicate she's in her right mind, and then he flips and shows her 4, teasing her that she is probably hallucinating which is why she's being so agreeable. BUT LISTEN SINCE THEN I READ THIS POST ON TWITTER THAT BRINGS UP THAT THIS IS THE EXACT NUMBER OF KIDS THEY HAVE - 3 and then the 4th - Mary comes late and I'M EMOTIONALLY UNSTABLE RIGHT NOW!
  • KATHANI SHARMA???!! Kyaaaa???  This was true eyeroll! Like what even? Did they just go with the ship name Kathony? πŸ€ͺ

I NEED MORE KANTHONY OKAY? 

Give us all the Domestic! Kathony

Give us the kisses, hugs, the bantering, the one-up manship (and also the sexy stuff because Jimone nails it)

Give us Anthony being Papa Bear to his siblings

Give us Kate being his voice of reason

Give us Anthony being an absolutely terrible mother hen during each of Kate's pregnancies

Give us Kate-Eloise, Kate-Daphne, Kate- Hyacinth, Kate- Violet relationships.

Give us Kate telling Benedict not to be an idiot to Sophie

Give us Kate telling Penelope that Colin's an idiot

Give us Gregory crushing on Kate

Give us Edwina marrying the Prince and becoming a 'real' princess!

I need them around in all the future seasons if you want me to watch. Is that understood, Shondaland? Okay!

Edited by LizzieBennet - 2 years ago
LizzieBennet thumbnail
Originally posted by: EuphoricDamsel.

Oh he did. Sniffing like a dog...LMAO. 

Lilies. 

Okay I'm taking offense at thisπŸ˜’ because i found it incredibly arousing, ☺️and I also like that they added this detail from the book - the scent of lilies that always reminds A of K... The man is just horny on main for Kate, he cannot keep it in his pants any longer even with people watching! πŸ˜†

That little smile in the end , (what are you doing, JB? β˜ΊοΈ)

LizzieBennet thumbnail

~~~~~!!!!!!! SPOILER ALERT !!!!! ~~~~~

Okay I wanted to put down my thoughts after my first watch, because I think I might change some of them on re-watch and it's fun to compare later - πŸ˜†

Bridgerton S2 first watch:

Highlights:

• Obviously Kanthony. They RULED this season, I wanted - no, begged for more of them: their banter, the hand stuff, the LOOKS, the subtle acting choices in key moments by both JB and Simone. Like I see now what the reviewers and everyone else who had the screeners were talking about when they said the chemistry was 'rare', 'scorching', 'palpable', 'electric'. Yes to all this and more. I don't remember the last time any screen couple FIRED me up with their chemistry quite like this, and though it's largely due to JB and Simone and how they play Kanthony, like it seemed to me like they distilled the essence of the Kanthony from the books and fed it to these two.
  • I think it also has a lot to do with how their scenes are crafted. Like the showrunners KNEW they wanted this, and their first chemistry read ensured they would get it with these two and so probably all those lingering looks and hand touches and camera angles and the WHISPERING were added in to milk them for it, and boy did it work! But it also left me begging for more, and I'm gonna keep believing the reason they withheld more Kathony from us is because we're getting more of them in the future seasons. At least, that's what I'll believe until the next season comes out! πŸ˜†
  • Anthony's dialogues to Kate: Man I'm sweltering, flailing, screaming at the things he says to her. The man has got it bad and he ain't hiding it. Kate is speechless most of the time and I love it. I love all their 'almost' scenes: they left me breathless, I was screaming into my pillow - like Kiss kiss!! But I also loved the restraint. I loved that Anthony was struggling to rein in his attraction and his emotions for this woman but at the same time he somehow summoned up his honor (which was hanging precariously by a thread ofc) and did not breach that sacred line. The first time they kissed was after Anthony had broken up with Edwina and it did feel 'earned'. Their lovemaking scene also seemed earned, like that push and pull? Man, so HOT!

"You must stop"

"I must stop? You're the one who must stop!"

And here I am saying- YOU BOTH NEED TO STOP OR IMMA LOSING MY SANITY!

And then when she narrows her eyes and throws the challenge: What did I tell you about you and your orders?

And that gleam in Anthony's eyes followed by that slightly feral tilt to his head before he dives in hungrily - MAN MAN MAN! It's too f**king HOT in here!

Also I love that he offers to stop, and she does not want him to, leaving no doubt that it's consensual all the way, even driven by Kate. I just don't get her reaction the next day when the scenes playback in her head: Does she feel shocked? Guilty? Appalled? It's clear both of them feel some guilt because she sets out on a horse and he comes to propose to her (because it's the right thing to do). He even tells her later when she was recovering that he took liberties - that darned honor again and also the total inability for these two fools to believe that anyone could actually 'love' them. Kate does not believe it, she tells Mary so, and Anthony certainly does not believe it even in the midst of his confession he thinks she will not 'allow' it.  And this was a great way to play it because I think it really explains who these two are. They need the affirmation because they've never had it from anyone! I wish there had been an 'I love you' between the sisters!

K and A scenes I enjoyed: All of THEM!

1. Their first meeting and how smitten he is and then their second one at the conservatory terrace where she proceeds to roast him and he looks completely gobsmacked, like the earth has been pulled from beneath his feet.
  2. K slamming the door on A's face when he comes courting. Their banter at the races, A inveigling himself between K and E, and K whistling as her horse wins!
  3. That look that passes between them at the talent show, when A is sharing a drink with E and then how he instinctively looks for her reaction when he confesses he does not know poetry (Man, are you kidding? After mouthing those dialogues who TF needs poetry?)
  4. Beegate: The first time they really 'touch' and how it affects them both. I think A is already in love with her at this point, he is so shaken by how shaken he is at the thought of something happening to her that he cries literal tears. Idiot doesn't know it though.
  5. The little scene when Edwina is nudging Kate to tell him about her bee sting and she assures him she is well, and the look of relief on his face is everything!
  6. THE HUNT: Their little smiles, the way he says he'd offer himself up for target practice, his jaw clenching and his hand tightening around the gun when he sees that bare flesh revealed (oh yeah, Anthony definitely has a kink), their arguing over Beegate, and then him 'showing' her how to hold the gun. EVERYTHING!
  7. Pall Mall, her roasting him about his familiar tools πŸ˜†, his grudging clapping and then K casually walking into the mud, them falling in together, and that moment of levity. I liked this even better than in the book. Then Kate going to see what made Anthony concede and then she sees Edmund's memorial. There is so much understanding between these two.
  8. The library scene - everything about this. The way he hands her the book after saying it was his father's prized possession (symbolism of him handing her his heart), just the way they look in the scene - their defenses seem down, they are casually dressed in nightclothes and I so wish this scene had been longer and more detailed.
  9. The EP.4 dance. "Dancing on my own" is such a song choice for this! Like how did everyone watching not know that there was something between them??? Edwina you were truly blind! Him freaking out the moment he finds out she was gonna leave, her chasing after him and then the: Tell me you don't care for me and I'll walk away" Hoo BOY! Daph, you couldn't have had worse timing!
  10. The eager look on Kate's face when Anthony comes rushing out, and then the pain in her eyes when he goes down on his knees for Edwina! THE PAIN!
  11. All the HAND TOUCHES. ALL THE LINGERING LOOKS. THE YEARNING. THE JEALOUSY, THE HEAT, THE ANGST. I felt everything they were feeling. Also the Lake scene was yummy.
  12. The goddamn pinky finger extension as they cross each other! Like what even???
  13. The scene after the Sheffields leave when he utters those ICONIC lines about his honor and several more that have me screaming like a banshee with no chill.
  14. The way they JUST SENSE the other person's presence and know to look for them. That meeting in the park when Kate pleads with him to marry Edwina. She calls him Anthony for the first (and only time).
  15. That look on Anthony's face when he imagines Kate in the wedding dress. My God. JB really aced this scene. You can pinpoint the exact moment his eyes soften and little smile across his face reveals everything he's feeling at the thought of her being his bride. Beautiful! 
  16. The looks exchanged when he passes the kangan to her, and then later in the closet when he's holding her hand and telling her to 'wait'. This comes back later when she tells him that she wants to suspend time and to wait. And then they kiss. In the church. Ofc they're married.
  17. I love that look that passes between them when they're promenading with their families but more than that i love everybody's reactions to it. Like, they're not even trying to hide it anymore. They can't.
  18. Newton jumps up on Anthony and Kate shoos him away and bammm! that's all they need to begin their f**king YEARNING again, like sTAHP - my heart can't take it anymore!
  19. The way he smiles after she passes by him and her scent lingers. Even Lady D is disgusted πŸ˜†
  20. The circle dance and the last lap with Kanthony laughing and dancing was sooo sweet and nice break away from all the angst.
  21. The lovemaking scene in the gardens and what precedes it! β˜ΊοΈ I love that it was out there in the gardens: it's so much more 'freeing' and so much more Kanthony somehow. Also it was incredibly hot and after 6 episodes of tension, it did feel 'earned', So yes it was better than anything S1.
  22. THE SCENE WHERE HE RESCUES HER, he blames himself and JB's expressions man WOW! It's Miss Sharma at first and then panic takes over and it's KATE! I love that little detail they add with him freezing at first when he sees her fall, and then is completely galvanized into action. He is like a man possessed, yelling at the doctor to give her a blanket. And then later him breaking down when his mother tells him she's awake. This just drove home the force and the power of the love he feels for her - the man is a wreck.
  23. Him visiting her and proposing and then her telling him she's still leaving and A at this point is just resigned to her running away.
  24. The last ball and their dance to 'Wrecking ball' is just PERFECT. But the moment of levity before that with him holding up 3 fingers just to check if she was right in the head because she was being so agreeable. SHO CUTE! And then "Just keep looking at me. No one else matters." Ig Edwina saying at this time that they look beautiful together was meant to show that she has accepted Kanthony. 
  25. The CONFESSION WAS EVERYTHING. The way he literally GIVES her his heart to do with it whatever she pleases asking for NOTHING in return. Like he's totally humbled by it, he's willing to do anything to have her in his life. 
  26. The montage from the epilogue and then Pall Mall and them being exasperated doggo parents and kissing in front of the family. MY HEART! The way the smile just does not leave Anthony's face is so TELLING. He barely smiled at the start and how this woman just came into his life and changed him totally. THE POWER OF LOVE.

THOUGH I WILL FOREVER BE MAD THEY DID NOT SHOW US KATHONY'S WEDDING!

Other scenes:

• I loved all the little cultural references: Didi and Bon, Amma and Appa, the hair oiling, Kate drinking elaichi chai ( i can't stop her envisioning converting Anthony to desi chai after their marriage), the haldi scene, the little 'baap re' Kate says when they first meet. All of it actually.
  • I also enjoyed the sibling dynamic between Kate and Edwina, and Kate and Mary, and Kate and Lady D scenes though I wanted more of Kate and Mary scenes. I also loved the little scene with Anthony and Mary when she tells him what a burden Kate bore after her father's death. 
  • I loved that Daphne was the first to recognize what was between Anthony and Kate, I loved the scenes between Phoebe and JB, although Violet never really understanding Anthony bothered me, until the end when she apologizes to him for not being there and letting him face all the burden alone. Similar to the scene when Mary tells Kate she should have been there after her father's death. But yeah, I would have liked for Kate to talk more about her father's death and just in general for Kanthony to talk, you know? (perhaps in the future seasons? Make this happen, Shondaland!)
  • I liked that little visit Colin paid to Marina though I wish Pen had gone with him. How does Pen not ever feel like writing to Marina or staying in touch with her? They're cousins no? Also, I don't like how Pen does not feel the slightest remorse at what she did to her. Colin did apologize to Marina but something in the way Marina played in that entire scene showed she wasn't happy and this is probably a set-up for what's in store for her πŸ˜’. Phillip was there for too brief a time to make an impression but they seem so totally wrong for each other: Phillip and Eloise. I don't know.

•  The flashback with Anthony and Edmund. It was shocking how he died, like one moment they were laughing and the next he was gone. It really explained how Anthony became the way he is, and that look when everyone comes to him for decisions (including the panic when he has to make a decision about his mother's birthing) was gut-wrenching. I know many people think Anthony comes off as an ass but this kinda explains why he's so uptight and caged in. I only wish there was more of it - we got so many FBs of Simon in S1. Also FB of Kate and her dad and how she had to assume responsibility after his death would have really drawn the parallels effectively. Lost opportunity. 

Anthony with his family:

• A and Daph: I LOVED their dynamic this season. It was fitting that Daphne is the one to recognize and call our Anthony on his BS as he denied his feelings for Kate. It's Daph who tells him he's falling in love with Kate and that's what makes the bloody fool go and propose to Edwina the next minute (I'm never getting over the pain in Kate's eyes when he goes down on his knees). It's also telling how the camera focuses on daph sitting in the pews when Anthony bends down to retreive the kangan for Kate - like her face has that Holy shit they're in for it now look. I wish there was more of Daph being A's advisor in love after all the meddling he did in her love life, but whatever we got, I loved.
  • A and Benedict: This was probably the sibling dynamic I enjoyed the most. I love these two and I think they really understand and respect each other. They are close in age (Ben is supposed to be just 2 years younger than A, while C is 6 years younger so it's easy to see how they'd be close). I love Luke T and JB playing off each other, the scenes where Ben is ribbing A about Kate, and just smirking in the bg while A is getting roasted by Kate. But also the ones where A seeks Ben's advise in all 'arty' things like reading poetry. I also like how Ben seems to be the only one who doesn't judge Anthony among his siblings. He understands him. When they revealed Anthony was the one who paid for his Art school, I was like: Hoo boy, here it comes, another person going off on Anthony. But he didn't. He understood it was his brother's way of showing his love: although misguided. And Anthony affirming to him that he's great at what he is and what he does. Colin, otoh, judges Anthony too harshly and comes off as a little s*it because of it (at least to me)
  • A and Gregory: This scene has me in a chokehold. Like it's so achingly poignant. And A saying we don't talk about our father enough, and then saying I showed up too late. Man - the amount of guilt this man is living with. The burdens he carries! πŸ˜­ No wonder he smiled so little and I love that he smiles so much more with Kate in his life (she does too!)
  • A and Hyacinth: I loved that little moment of levity and I love that Anthony wanted to dance with Hyacinth. That entire dance was just so heartwarming.
  • A and Violet: I loved all their scenes together and also the FB ones. Ruth was brilliant when she showed how Violet unravelled after Edmund's death and A is just so lost. Most of their scenes are her trying to break down his defenses but I especially loved the last one when she tells him it's unthinkable that he has a love like that! It truly felt that way because look how far the Anthony from S1 has come!

What they changed from the book and why some of it is better:

- They have changed a LOT from the books, and some scenes were non-negotiable for me initially when I first began anticipating the season. Then a lot was spoiled and we were told there's barely anything from the books. But some of the changes actually made it better? Like Beegate is a pivotal scene in the book, because they get caught out and have to marry. But their wedding is sorta 'forced' which makes it similar to S1 and Saphne. So I'm glad they included the Bee scene but made it pivotal in a different way in the show: it's the first time Kanthony come so close - physically and emotionally and it sets a trigger for all their future interactions. Also the way it affects them both threw me completely: Anthony is in tears and Kate cannot stop her heart from racing and that was beautiful. Also I really liked the fact that nothing forced them to marry- not Beegate, not them sleeping together. They married because they love each other and this was somehow so satisfying. 

- Anthony being a 'Hero' when he snubs Cressida Cowper and stands up for Pen in the books was omitted, but Anthony was a hero in quite a different way: when he stands up for the Sharmas against the Sheffields. 

- The lake scene from the book was there in a different way that actually made it better with a Jealous + soaked Anthony, and Kate lusting after him (Why didn't Edwina notice anything here? I see her puzzled look at Kate's lingering glance at Anthony.)

- Another scene which is an iconic one is Anthony's dialogue when he tells Kate: I desire you, I burn for you etc etc. just before they make love for the first time after their wedding. This was removed from the show, but it turned out to be redundant. Also, I liked it much better on the show, because the book version had a couple of slightly problematic elements which are overcome of course with that piece of dialogue, but eliminating it altogether leaves no doubt that their coming together is totally consensual and with no hesitation from either person. In the book, Anthony kind of pressures Kate by saying he cannot wait and Kate weakens and realizes that she does not want to wait, but in the middle of it all he calls her beautiful and she freezes because she had never felt beautiful, and thinks he's picturing Edwina. And this leads to that bit of dialogue. In the show, the build-up between them is soooo well-presented that there is no doubt in the audience, or Kate's mind who Anthony really wants. He goes so far as to tell her he cannot marry Edwina because he will go through all his life wanting Kate and eventually he will cheat on Edwina with Kate. That is the level to which Kate has filled his head, and boy, I'm so on board with this version! Also, it's nice that Kate did not feel lesser than Edwina in that respect as well - she has enough on her plate being so sacrificing, we did not need this on top of all that. So I like that it's clear from the start that it's Kate than Anthony wants.

- Pall Mall. The essence of the game and Anthony getting burned by Kate is there, so I would say it's not taken much away but I loved the little addition of the mud scene in the show and them laughing together. It was sooo cute! 

- Their realization that they love each other comes after they get married in the book. For Kate it's after Anthony helps her through her trauma with the thunderstorms and shows incredible understanding. For Anthony - he becomes fearful of losing her because he's convinced he's going to die too like his father. And then when the accident happens he says: It was never supposed to be you, it was always supposed to be me. They changed this in the show too: Anthony's fear of dying is not dwelt upon, but instead they give precedence to Anthony's fear of losing someone he loves dearly, which is fine too. In fact, the part when he holds himself responsible for Kate's accident and then refuses to see her because he cannot bear it, and then finally breaks down when he hears she's okay came across as much more poignant and powerful than in the book (again mostly because of JB)

The triangle

- Okay, so they changed the Anthony-Edwina-Kate dynamic to a triangle and the triangle does not really exist in the book, but here they did. I was resolved to hate it, in my mind it totally destroyed the key essence of the book and though I still do not LOVE it, I don't hate it either. The DRAMA was utterly riveting, ngl, and I was pulled in by the high stakes, the angst, the tension, the 'kangan falling off and A picking it up to give it to K - OMG so filmy but somehow effective.  I liked all of the symbolism and foreshadowing: Edwina kind of setting up Kate and Anthony because she wants them to 'love' each other, the haldi she puts on Kate, the fact that Kate tries the ring for the fitting and she can't get it off (it fits her perfectly), the picking up of the green kangan and Anthony giving it to her... I enjoyed all of them, even if they came across as 'tropey'. 

Edwina came off as being someone who was more fleshed out, and while I got her feeling of betrayal at what was going on under her nose, and I applauded her absolute refusal to 'settle' because she 'deserves' better, I still found her lack of understanding for Kate upsetting. Edwina in Ep 6 was a queen but Edwina in Ep. 7 I did not like. Her being passive- aggressive at Kate and Anthony dimmed her character a bit for me. Her initial anger at Kate I understood, but after that, knowing how self-sacrificing her sister was, couldn't she have at least had a conversation with her and tried to understand her? Till the end, Edwina was all about herself, and when you contrast that with how much Kate de-focuses on herself and centers around Edwina I feel righteous anger on Kate's behalf. Like everybody was blaming Kanthony for feeling for each other? Like WTF?? 

And they made Kate literally grovel to Edwina: I will ask for your forgiveness everyday of my life. And then her telling Anthony that they should be ashamed of their kiss was shattering to me. All because of how Edwina was making her feel. I HATED THAT! I hated that Edwina made her feel so guilty that her first kiss with the man she loved devolved into a shameful experience to be shut down.

I felt that bit remained unresolved between the two till the end and in an effort to make Edwina shine they ended up making her look preachy instead (at least to me). Like when she says to Kate- let's be better versions of ourselves. Like I get this is somewhat what Kate was doing to Edwina in the beginning, so maybe she's getting her own back at Kate - lol.

I wish there was something added in the epilogue with Edwina to show things had resolved fully between her and Anthony and her and Kate: at least they could have had her in the Pall Mall game in the end, she was the only one missing from the original one so it would have been nice and it would have been a nice callback to the book that has the game as an annual tradition and all the original players play each time. 

No Mr. Bagwell. I really liked that in the book, Anthony falls short of Edwina's expectations because she wants a scholar to match her intellect. Like they seem to have dumbed her down in the show! She's much smarter and more perceptive and clued in to Kate's feelings in the book! But I also like the idea of Edwina and the Prince (I really liked him in S1) so if the show gives us this in a future season (or at least mentions it) I'd be thrilled.

What I did not enjoy:

Featherington heir and the entire plotline. Just brain-numbing nonsense though I'm glad Philippa got her HEA with Mr. Cheese Finch! Prudence was funny though. I like Polly Walker but even she cannot make me care for Portia Featherington.

Eloise: Like I get you're a feminist and a  rebel and do not enjoy traditional societal roles but do you have to scoff at everything and anyone who does abide by these rules? She came across as supercilious and condescending and I really did not like it. Also that whole Theo plotline made my head ache.

Pen: Now S1 managed to destroy whatever little sympathy I had for Pen and I thought S2 would work around redeeming her, but no? They just made her a lot worse. I'm appalled at how she makes everything about her: Like she outed Marina in S1 to save Colin, then she 'outed' Eloise this season to save Eloise and her family! Like WTH! Have the courage to own up to who you are instead of doing these underhanded things! Also, her collusion with Madame D seemed very shady. And I really could not care less for her or her story. I'm downright irritated by her infantile crush on Colin when it's clear he doesn't feel the same. 

Colin: He was annoying. He came across as entitled and bratty and self-absorbed. And I don't care for the way he takes Anthony for granted (or even the way El does for that matter) Like where does he get off borrowing large sums and not even offering an explanation to Anthony what it was for? And all his world travel is definitely being financed by Anthony. So much entitlement!

The Queen and her ridiculous wigs, her interfering in every marriage, the obsession with Lady W! πŸ€ͺ

Also that scene when Mad King George comes in And Edwina talks to him just felt unnecessary and too much like Edwina glorification to me 

Will and Alice: Like what was even the point of them?

TL DR: Anything that took screen time away from Kanthony annoyed me. πŸ˜†

Satrangi_Curls thumbnail
Originally posted by: LizzieBennet

I just made this post on my tumblr πŸ˜†

Could the showrunners make up their mind about the Sharmas’ origins?

Sharma is a North Indian surname, but Kate and Edwina refer to their dad as Appa (and Kate called her mom Amma) which is what South Indians do.

And then Kate calls Edwina β€˜Bon’ which is Bengali and East Indian.

And they’re from Bombay which is in the Western part of India!

Like did they really put in cultural references from every part of India? 

And I don’t even know what to make of Kate’s name - Kathani??? Sounds like Kathony tbh - lol

IKR!! Like they could've just asked either of the two leads about the family and could've gotten an appropriate back story .. it was all over the place, this token representation is not okay. Just having POC characters doesn't make the show / showrunners good, they couldn't even pronounce a 2 syllable Sharma properly. 

Was it ΰ€•ΰ€₯ΰ€¨ΰ₯€ or ΰ€•ΰ€₯ΰ€Ύΰ€¨ΰ₯€? 

Those references would make sense if they've grown up in South India, with a Bengali family as a close neighbour. Her father being a clerk to a royal family must've moved from North to South .. they could've just had a South Indian surname.. considering both the actors as South Indian (if I'm not wrong). 

Bombay it's not a princely state, never was. Portuguese had Bombay around 16th Century, gifted it as Dowry to British in 17th.. 

The whole India backstory is a mess. I hate this token representation without doing an ounce of research.  just because this is a historical fantasy doesn't mean you don't get the backstory right. 

Inclusivity k naam pe mazaak karna band karo angrezo. πŸ˜‘

LizzieBennet thumbnail
Originally posted by: DelusionsOfNeha

IKR!! Like they could've just asked either of the two leads about the family and could've gotten an appropriate back story .. it was all over the place, this token representation is not okay. Just having POC characters doesn't make the show / showrunners good, they couldn't even pronounce a 2 syllable Sharma properly. 

Was it ΰ€•ΰ€₯ΰ€¨ΰ₯€ or ΰ€•ΰ€₯ΰ€Ύΰ€¨ΰ₯€? 

Those references would make sense if they've grown up in South India, with a Bengali family as a close neighbour. Her father being a clerk to a royal family must've moved from North to South .. they could've just had a South Indian surname.. considering both the actors as South Indian (if I'm not wrong). 

Bombay it's not a princely state, never was. Portuguese had Bombay around 16th Century, gifted it as Dowry to British in 17th.. 

The whole India backstory is a mess. I hate this token representation without doing an ounce of research.  just because this is a historical fantasy doesn't mean you don't get the backstory right. 

Inclusivity k naam pe mazaak karna band karo angrezo. πŸ˜‘

See although I do blame them for not doing the proper amount of research I will not go so far as to call this 'token representation'. I mean these two girls are the main leads. They are right out there- front and center, not being the nerdy sidekick or the comic relief or the neighbour aunty who serves up samosas!

Simone and Charithra being the main leads in a global show that has such wide reach and with their Indian identity intact and very much part of who they are (in fact defining it in many ways) does not spell token representation to me. I welcome it whole-heartedly even if they got a few things wrong.

I love that someone like us is playing front and center and a pivotal role and they haven't just hired a 'popular' light-skinned Bollywood actress to play these roles.

Satrangi_Curls thumbnail
Originally posted by: LizzieBennet

See although I do blame them for not doing the proper amount of research I will not go so far as to call this 'token representation'. I mean these two girls are the main leads. They are right out there- front and center, not being the nerdy sidekick or the comic relief or the neighbour aunty who serves up samosas!

Simone and Charithra being the main leads in a global show that has such wide reach and with their Indian identity intact and very much part of who they are (in fact defining it in many ways) does not spell token representation to me. I welcome it whole-heartedly even if they got a few things wrong.

I love that someone like us is playing front and center and a pivotal role and they haven't just hired a 'popular' light-skinned Bollywood actress to play these roles.

Agree to disagree

Just because Simone and Charithra, two Indian girls are playing the leads (they did a phenomenal performance) doesn't mean it isn't token representation.

The reason why I call it so it that they aren't presented as "Indian" other than their last name. Two girls who've been raised in India having such heavy British accent? How? Why?

Their names? Very British.

The way they conduct themselves? Very British.

If you take that Sharma name out, it's just as British. So that doesn't sit right with me. Like Priyanka has done movies in Hollywood with an angrezi name.. so that's not token representation right. It's just her as an Indian performing in Hollywood. They could've done the same. No need to bring in India and make a mess of it. 

Back then.. a 26 y-o woman wouldn't even be unmarried no matter what circumstances. The princely state that her father worked in, the Ruler or their family would've had both the girls married (around the age of 16).

LizzieBennet thumbnail

See this show does not claim to be historically accurate. A black man as a Duke? Indians being in Regency England? So why have hang -ups over Bombay being a princely state or not? It doesn't bother me. There is no reference to colonialism here or the British Raj. That can be called historical erasure by some but to me it's just an AU where these things did not happen.

I actually liked that they did not try to explain their presence in England like they tried in S1; by saying Charlotte facilitated the existence of Black Gentry and we all know that isn't accurate. Charlotte wasn't even supposed to be Black.

It's fantasy escapism at best - they have chosen to keep some cultural elements from those times intact and gloss over the others, and that's totally fine by me.

I concede they could have made the girls from Somerset instead of India, but perhaps Mary's English background explains their mixed upbringing to an extent.

Yep agree to disagree. 

I still don't call this token representation. I'd rather focus on the elements they got right instead of griping over what they didn't get right.