Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

LizzieBennet thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

S1 E4

- Vi and Daphne arrive to meet the Prince. I loved Vi sneaking food - naughty of her!

The Prince gives Daph a necklace! And she imagines Simon putting it on her β˜ΊοΈ

- Simon meanwhile is letting out his frustrations on a punching bag! Will and Alice convince him to stay (and not leave town) for the boxing exhibition. I like Will, and Alice is sassy - What? You don't love me for my subtlety! πŸ˜†

- Yeww that odious Rutledge inspecting Marina gave me the creeps! They're going to the Trowbridge Ball. Papa F is so out of it, he couldn't care less, and later it becomes clear why

- And Mr. Finch arrives to pay a call to Phillippa! The look on their faces! πŸ˜†

- PenEloise again: Why must our only choices be to squawk and settle or never leave the nest? What if I want to fly? - Oh El. They short-changed you in your book. I hope the series does you justice, my girl!

You scoff at marriage and the mundane, but, but, your fate says something else. πŸ˜’

Tell your mother you caught whatever Marina had! πŸ˜† Yeah , no! 

- Daph arrives with A for the boxing match. She sits with the Prince, who's backing the guy fighting Will, Daph makes lusty eyes at Simon rolling up his sleeves. Jesus! They just had to make her salivate. That was the only thing left πŸ˜†

The Prince seems just perfect, but oh so vanilla!

- Papa F (as usual) wagers on the loser, and has people wanting to collect money from him clamoring after him. (Did he bet their money too?)

- Poor Hyacinth- she gets snapped at by Daph for asking about the Duke. She seems too sweet to be the Hyacinth from the books! Ahh I'm going to miss Felicity and Hyacinth together! Can they bring her in later? And say she had been away visiting an aunt or a grandparent or whatever?

#PetitiontohaveHyacinthandFelicitybeingBFFs

- And then A comes in with the news that the Prince plans to propose. Vi recognizes that S is more suited to Daph so she demurs and asks Daph to stall. I love Vi! She gets her kids so well. Though I wish she'd be nicer to A (Maybe this season)

- And then Daph tells Vi the truth - that it was all a ruse between them. Vi cannot believe it.

- Lady D giving S a piece of her mind for running away is everything! πŸ‘ And there is the mention of the King's inter-racial marriage and how it has allowed Blacks an equal status in society. Too easy, but then this is a romance, it does not need an accurate depiction of history. People can go watch something else if they want that. 

"Love changes nothing" says Simon. Is he in love with Daph at this point? She certainly seems to be in love with him. 

- Ok, don't come at me but I find Mr. Finch and Philippa cute. Silly maybe, but cute πŸ˜†

Your frock is the exact shade of the double Gloucester your mother served

I prefer a Stilton to a Cheddar πŸ€£ Bonding over their common love for cheese!! 

- This maybe an unpopular opinion but I dislike Daphne's outfit here, especially that black fichu she has on. It looks sloppy.

- Ben arriving at Lord Granville's and seeing the amazing set -up. I think he's taken aback by the invitation and the open encouragement. Here's the set -up for Ben always seeming unsure of his station in life, being the second son. Anthony bears the responsibility so what exactly is it that Ben should do? Lord G assures him he can be whomever he wants and that, for Ben, I guess is freeing.

- Anthony staring at Siena singing even as his mother thrusts a young debutante at his face. Poor A!

- Awww, poor Philippa is heartbroken cos her stupid Papa is being the 'cheese mein haddi' πŸ˜† Or maybe Cheese mein hole? πŸ€£ I could sense Mama F's frustration and anger here! That man is an idiot!

- El being told off by the housekeeper (Is her name Mrs. Wilson?) for snooping around her room because she thinks she's Lady W, and El (bless her heart) asks her outright, only to be scoffed at. I know the woman has been a servant for long, but I don't think any servant would speak to a noble lady (even if she changed her diapers) the way this woman did to El. But yes, it was good to see her standing up for herself!

- Pen and Colin discussing the squalling baby (seriously, who brings a baby to a ball?) and Pen saying the baby looks more like the footman! Aah, now I see where the Lady W wit and sass and (cattiness) come from! Colin is surprised too. And then she inadvertently ends up pushing Colin towards Marina. 

Nicola does the longing looks well at least, unlike Luke who just cannot seem to emote! Too bad - Colin is among my fav characters from the books. πŸ˜’

- The Prince is about to propose and Daph runs out - scared, and bamm! there's Simon.

Then follows their famous argument. This is a pivotal scene. And both RJP and Phoebe carry it off well. RJP shows the initial helplessness at Daph's anger and then gets angry himself chasing after her, and then he's immediately apologetic when he realizes that he kissed her. All well conveyed. Pheobe does well on her part too- her raging at Simon, huffing that she's going to be a princess, wanting to convey to him that she's happy without him and then realizing she's actually miserable -  then rushing off in a huff, and then amazement that he kissed her and then determination when she realizes she wants more and takes it.πŸ‘πŸΌ

The kiss itself left me curiously dissatisfied though. It's described better in the book (as I recall) and Anthony catching them in the act is much more scandalous (and embarrassing for him! πŸ˜† given Daph's state of - ermm -undress). And of course he demands that Simon marry her, and when he refuses demands satisfaction.

- The shock on Daph's face says it all - You'd rather die than marry me? She asks, incredulous and shattered. 

- Mama F and Varley are hunting through Papa F's papers. Everything was fine until Papa F blew off Mr. Finch, Philippa's only suitor! Intolerable man! 

- Pen and Marina scene in her bedroom. Marina being all excited about Colin and Pen's face. Ok, I did not like Marina's glee here, I feel it was misplaced. It made her seem like a hunter and it conveyed none of the desperation she must be feeling at her condition. I get Pen being upset here, M does sound like she's using Colin. At the same time, this might have been a good time for Pen to tell Marina that she does not support her leading on someone like Colin, and getting him under false pretenses.

- Then the PenEloise scene happens and Pen basically yells at El, so the BFFs end up having a tiff because of Colin and Marina. You see how much I hate this storyline? I think I probably hate it more than the Anthony-Siena one. They ruined Pen (and to an extent Colin) for me with how she behaved in this entire scenario, and idk if I can ever feel the same towards her. Why, o Why couldn't Marina have cast her eye on someone else? Why Colin? Colin wasn't supposed to have ever been in love, like Anthony, and here they made it like they both have - so Pen and Kate will feel like sloppy seconds! WTF πŸ€’

- Anthony and Daph scene back at Bridgerton House. Oh I love the sibling banter. "I can't live with the Duke's death on my hands. Nor yours, however tempting that might be at the moment!"  πŸ˜†

And then Anthony- the overbearing idiot, just pushes her off to bed. I love Daph's frustration here as she stomps and snorts in fury while Ben and A plan the duel - Ben is his second and you cannot miss the dismay on his face when A tells him he'll be in charge from here on no matter what happens at the duel. He does not want the responsibility, and it tells me here how much Anthony has had to take on since their father's death. It definitely made him what he is today.

- Then Vi comes in piss drunk and Colin ushers her up the stairs and they call Colin in. "Good God! Did someone die?" he says. This was funny!

- Simon asks Will to be his second. 

And then Anthony realizes this duel can be his means of escape - escaping his title, his responsibility and make a new start with the woman he 'loves'? I want to hit him on the head with a sharp instrument for assuming he'd be the victor in the duel and give Siena (and himself) unnecessary hope, but then I also love the fact that he's so darn human here, and shows that frailty that he's kept so carefully hidden, always being strong for the family. 

- Papa F discovers that Mama F knows everything! And breaks down. I love both Ben Miller and Polly Walker's expressions here, they made me laugh. And Papa F's name is Archibald! πŸ˜†

- Yes, Daph. Go take charge. Show these damn fool men what fools they are! πŸ˜†

- A telling Ben to take care of Siena if anything should happen to him. Ben is truly worried and asks the doc where A should aim? You're either a fool or the King's finest marksman - says the doc. Ngl, this made me chuckle.

- They move forward and then turn around. Simon has his rifle in the air but A is in no mood to be forgiving, when Daph rides into the path of the bullet. Simon is terrified she's hurt.

Then they move away to have a chat, she tells him she'll be ruined because Cressida Cowper saw them and he still refuses. She cannot believe it until he tells her he cannot give her a family and walks away.

Again, RJP's expressions were off here, imo. πŸ˜•

And then Daph declares that they are to be married. Phoebe was good in this scene.

Good episode again, lots of action and lots of development!

Edited by LizzieBennet - 2 years ago
MJHTMonayaSajan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: LizzieBennet

Idk what they will cover in the show, so it's hard to tell.

The second epilogues are different for each sibling. For some it's the immediate aftermath of the wedding, for others it's several years. So Daph and Simon's second epilogue may well make it to the show - but idk how they'll do that since RJP isn't coming back (unless they recast both D and S when they're older)

Oh thats fine just spill the beans (only abt Soimon-Daph story)...I am curious now πŸ˜›

LizzieBennet thumbnail
Originally posted by: MJHTMonayaSajan

Oh thats fine just spill the beans (only abt Soimon-Daph story)...I am curious now πŸ˜›

Well, just because you brought up Violet's late pregnancy with Hyacinth, Daphne is expecting her fifth child at the age of 41!

Bridgerton S1 E3

I actually watched E3 and E4 together, not stopping to pen down my thoughts, and I'm surprised at how much happens in these two episodes.

I think they might be my favorite episodes in this season.

My favorite actually are E2 and E3...the episodes that form the basis of Daph-Simon relationship...I much enjoyed the light romantic part of the show than all the drama! E5 is too much for my innocent eyes, I really don't like how, under the name of story, these modern TV shows sell soft p*rn...I think the same things they showed could have been shown much decently and with less skin show...and E6-8, its too mature and heavy...I mean I am all for unrealistic cute light love stories instead of more realistic but heavy ones...real life is anyway complex, why not have some fun at least in reels πŸ˜ƒ

Lots of progress for most of the characters.

Ep #3

- S and D walk in together and D soon realizes all the men she's dancing with are utter bores! 

I was kind of surprised how OK Simon was with Daphne dancing with others as just in the previous episode, he was shown to be a bit jealous...they could have shown him at least a bit jealous or craving to dance with Daphne since she spends the entire night dancing with others...

- And here comes Prince Friedrich - he's cute! And nice! 

btw I remember you mentioned that the book doesn't have a prince....Is there another guy that brings about this jealousy, separation track leading to the big moment or how is it achieved otherwise?

- I did not care for RJP's expressions in this scene. Like I said before, he's great at playing angry, passionate and impassive, but anything else leaves me wanting. Especially when he's conveying mirth and joy. Something really off about him in such scenes.

Lol I have started noticing this more and more since you pointed out...I think he is too stiff for such moments...anyway I still enjoy him and his chemistry with Daph πŸ˜›

- Madame Delacroix and Siena are friends. πŸ˜² They're discussing who could be Siena's new protector. Idk why, I don't think Siena really cares for Anthony other than seeing him as someone who can provide for her. I think A shows more emotional attachment. For Siena it seems to be more about survival and looking after herself. I confess I did not like her mocking Anthony.

Agreed!

- Papa F loses to A at the gambling table. A and S have a conversation where A tells him he's glad he's respectful towards D and yet he knows he will never marry, when Siena walks in. A moves away and she tries to lure Simon into being her protector, asking him to come to one of her shows.

"Respectful. lets just leave it at that" - Simon to Anthony πŸ˜†

- I like the A and Daph scene - where they talk in the kitchen over some milk, after being defeated by the stove! πŸ˜† The gentry are completely useless! πŸ˜† But Daph now realizes a few things about Simon and feels compassion I guess.

- Daphne's gowns are so pretty. I love the pale blue one she's wearing while playing the piano.

A metaphor for the unfinished piece she's working on, and then after Simon directs her, she ends up 'finishing'. I see what you did there, Bridgerton writers! πŸ˜†

πŸ˜†

- If I haven't said it before I'll say it now - Julie Andrews as Lady W rocks! Idk how they managed to get her on board, but she's fabulous!

+1 to that!!

- They're going to a gallery- a painting exhibition. 

- El and Pen looking at a painting, and El vocalizing her disdain for it because  it was done by a man who sees a woman as an object (like a vase πŸ˜†). I love fiercely feminist El.

- Marina begging Pen to help her while Mama F drags her to meet some old fogie. Her logic: The oldies will be ready to marry her immediately since they are in want of a heir while her young suitors will take time to propose and time is something she doesn't have. I like Marina being sassy though- she has spirit!

I honestly didnt like this MArina storyline all that much..Its like it starts nowhere and goes nowhere apart from one or two sassy moves here and there to show "love and respect is what she stands for" to going full blown scheming Collin plot..there is no head or tail to this plot lol

- Ahh Lady D being cheeky - allowing Ben to rattle on about how  bad the painting is when Lord Granville - the artist, is right next to her πŸ˜† No wonder he's chagrined. This is the kind of Lady D stuff I want to see more of in the show. The books have plenty! 

-  D and S in a room looking at the paintings - "Excessive pride suits you, Ms. Bridgerton"

They are studying a painting that Simon donated - favorite of his mother's, there's some soul baring and they gravitate towards each other, their hands link. Subtle scene.

Cressida fakes a swoon, the Prince is fanning her and Daph giggles again at Simon's cheeky comment. Cute.

Annd Simon decides not to go to the opera - Siena is left high and dry. I know she's from the working class, struggling to survive in a society that's so harsh on women, but I find it difficult to muster any sympathy for her. Perhaps it's the actress. Idk. For Marina, yes, I can feel her plight, because Ruby plays her well.

-  The Queen wants Friedrich to woo Daphne since she's the incomparable. I feel sorry for him too, he's nice but too blah.

- Mama F brings Marina to a shady part of town, telling her this is what her life will be like and M scoffs! And says these are hard-working people! No shame in being like them! You go, girl! πŸ‘

- They're walking in the park with Vi and Lady D as chaperons. Idk why, I keep feeling RJP is so out of it. Like he's not involved, not really in the scene. Almost like he'd rather be elsewhere. It's strange. But they're discussing his and A's boyhood exploits and it's cute too.

"How can something be both physical and intangible?"

And this is when he asks her to touch herself - and she is shocked, confused and aroused all at once. Phoebe's expression is perfect in this.

I liked how he gives her a flower very organically...that's the bonding they lacked post marriage

- Lady D swatting Simon with her stick and demanding to know his intentions about Daph. πŸ˜†

- El and Ben convo again. She really got no chill- she's born in the wrong era for sure! "If you want the sun and the moon, all you've got to do is shoot at the sky! Some of us cannot!"

She's telling him to pursue his art, go out and get what he wants so she can live vicariously through him. Oh El! πŸ˜’ And then Ben asks her if she's Lady W, and she replies just as I expected - Do you think I'll admit it? 
I love these BenEloise scenes, it's a nice set-up for what comes later in El's story. (If they get that far!)

- Daph is on a high after that night of 'completion' and she goes to meet Simon eagerly, only for him to tell her they should stop seeing each other now that their ruse has had the desired effect. 'Before I corrupt you any further.." he says. Oh, Simon, you have no idea! πŸ˜†

- Anthony- Siena scene: He tells her to come back to him, she says, "You are Viscount. Your responsibility will always be to that title above all else!'

- Pen brings Marina a letter from George and she's shattered, only because of the vile scheming of Mama F and Varley who have forged it to say he's not interested in her! πŸ˜‘

- A and Vi scene: She's being a tad unkind here I thought, she brings him a list of eligible young women and then 'taunts' him about his father's watch- the heirloom. I suppose she's trying to say he'd better focus on getting himself a bride and a heir. "Time is of the essence"

- Another ball. Simon and Lady D talking and he tells her he's leaving London. Pen's gown is a hideous yellow. I wish her hair didn't have to look like that though. They certainly seem to want to make her look unappealing. I guess as a set-up to Colin's famous statement regarding her. Marina's gown is yellow too, but so pretty! 

- Daph makes a grand entrance and everyone is awed. And the Prince is smitten! Simon's expression says it all. "Why settle for a duke when you could have a prince?" says Lady W.

And that walkout from the ball, that backward glance and moving on...Oh RJP and Simon πŸ˜³

I really liked this episode. So much happened and there was progress with Daph and Simon. 

I hate Anthony vacillating between Siena and his duty as a Viscount. Book!Anthony has a reason not to want to fall in love, but here he seems to be so obsessed with Siena! The book was about Kate breaking down his defenses, but here he seems to have no defenses. πŸ˜”

And whats that? (Only answer if its spoiler free lol πŸ˜†)

Idk how they're going to play this out in S2. I really hate the Siena storyline. If they had to have it, they could have just shown it as a casual relationship - like in the books. But they made it look like A was heartbroken, and made him too heavily invested in her. Not what I wanted to see....

btw why did Daph laugh when Simon asked her to call her "Simon"...I assume she was just laughing that how she is calling him by his first name now from where they started...but curious if anyone has any other explanation !!

Well, just because you brought up Violet's late pregnancy with Hyacinth, Daphne is expecting her fifth child at the age of 41!

Haha so much to show Simon cares for his wife lol...they could have stopped at a kid or two to indicate he is over his revenge issue but still cares about the well being of his wife but no...I think these people really don't know any form of birth control and so its really up for a toss when a person could get pregnant πŸ˜†

This is the episode from which I started skipping some scenes..

S1 E4

- Vi and Daphne arrive to meet the Prince. I loved Vi sneaking food - naughty of her!

The Prince gives Daph a necklace! And she imagines Simon putting it on her β˜ΊοΈ

- Simon meanwhile is letting out his frustrations on a punching bag! Will and Alice convince him to stay (and not leave town) for the boxing exhibition. I like Will, and Alice is sassy - What? You don't love me for my subtlety! πŸ˜†

Does that bag of grains have a German accent πŸ˜†Will is good!

- Yeww that odious Rutledge inspecting Marina gave me the creeps! They're going to the Trowbridge Ball. Papa F is so out of it, he couldn't care less, and later it becomes clear why

- And Mr. Finch arrives to pay a call to Phillippa! The look on their faces! πŸ˜†

- PenEloise again: Why must our only choices be to squawk and settle or never leave the nest? What if I want to fly? - Oh El. They short-changed you in your book. I hope the series does you justice, my girl!

You scoff at marriage and the mundane, but, but, your fate says something else. πŸ˜’

Tell your mother you caught whatever Marina had! πŸ˜† Yeah , no! 

- Daph arrives with A for the boxing match. She sits with the Prince, who's backing the guy fighting Will, Daph makes lusty eyes at Simon rolling up his sleeves. Jesus! They just had to make her salivate. That was the only thing left πŸ˜†

The Prince seems just perfect, but oh so vanilla!

One thing that seemed weird to me that how much the Prince seems unaffected by Daphne's courting with Simon...I mean he does mention it in his convo with the Queen earlier so he is definitely well aware of it..but never once he seems affected by Simon's presence, or Daphne's sudden move of accepting his advances...the entire town was talking abt Daph-Simon, its a bit unbelievable to me that anyone, the Prince, especially, wouldn't dig deeper on that before making a proposal...Gosh are these men really that superficial to only care abt beauty and virginity 

- Papa F (as usual) wagers on the loser, and has people wanting to collect money from him clamoring after him. (Did he bet their money too?)

- Poor Hyacinth- she gets snapped at by Daph for asking about the Duke. She seems too sweet to be the Hyacinth from the books! Ahh I'm going to miss Felicity and Hyacinth together! Can they bring her in later? And say she had been away visiting an aunt or a grandparent or whatever?

#PetitiontohaveHyacinthandFelicitybeingBFFs

Who is Felicity?

- And then A comes in with the news that the Prince plans to propose. Vi recognizes that S is more suited to Daph so she demurs and asks Daph to stall. I love Vi! She gets her kids so well. Though I wish she'd be nicer to A (Maybe this season)

- And then Daph tells Vi the truth - that it was all a ruse between them. Vi cannot believe it.

- Lady D giving S a piece of her mind for running away is everything! πŸ‘ And there is the mention of the King's inter-racial marriage and how it has allowed Blacks an equal status in society. Too easy, but then this is a romance, it does not need an accurate depiction of history. People can go watch something else if they want that. 

"Love changes nothing" says Simon. Is he in love with Daph at this point? She certainly seems to be in love with him. 

I honestly did not understand Simon's counter-argument to what Lady D said...what was his point exactly?

- Ok, don't come at me but I find Mr. Finch and Philippa cute. Silly maybe, but cute πŸ˜†

Your frock is the exact shade of the double Gloucester your mother served

I prefer a Stilton to a Cheddar πŸ€£ Bonding over their common love for cheese!! 

Haha totally...everyone has someone made for them, equally weird and unique in their own ways😳

- This maybe an unpopular opinion but I dislike Daphne's outfit here, especially that black fichu she has on. It looks sloppy.

Yes, I agree! I also didnt get why Simon just kept staring at her blankly...lol it was funnny after a point...there could have been 10 other ways to show she runs out in the garden

- Ben arriving at Lord Granville's and seeing the amazing set -up. I think he's taken aback by the invitation and the open encouragement. Here's the set -up for Ben always seeming unsure of his station in life, being the second son. Anthony bears the responsibility so what exactly is it that Ben should do? Lord G assures him he can be whomever he wants and that, for Ben, I guess is freeing.

- Anthony staring at Siena singing even as his mother thrusts a young debutante at his face. Poor A!

- Awww, poor Philippa is heartbroken cos her stupid Papa is being the 'cheese mein haddi' πŸ˜† Or maybe Cheese mein hole? πŸ€£ I could sense Mama F's frustration and anger here! That man is an idiot!

Seriously...why does this society respect men so much when its really the women doing all the right things and using their brains...

- El being told off by the housekeeper (Is her name Mrs. Wilson?) for snooping around her room because she thinks she's Lady W, and El (bless her heart) asks her outright, only to be scoffed at. I know the woman has been a servant for long, but I don't think any servant would speak to a noble lady (even if she changed her diapers) the way this woman did to El. But yes, it was good to see her standing up for herself!

I agree...I dont know if it was deliberate to kind of keep the viewers wondering, but her reaction actually made me feel like she is bluffing and she is actually Lady W!!

- Pen and Colin discussing the squalling baby (seriously, who brings a baby to a ball?) and Pen saying the baby looks more like the footman! Aah, now I see where the Lady W wit and sass and (cattiness) come from! Colin is surprised too. And then she inadvertently ends up pushing Colin towards Marina. 

Nicola does the longing looks well at least, unlike Luke who just cannot seem to emote! Too bad - Colin is among my fav characters from the books. πŸ˜’

- The Prince is about to propose and Daph runs out - scared, and bamm! there's Simon.

Then follows their famous argument. This is a pivotal scene. And both RJP and Phoebe carry it off well. RJP shows the initial helplessness at Daph's anger and then gets angry himself chasing after her, and then he's immediately apologetic when he realizes that he kissed her. All well conveyed. Pheobe does well on her part too- her raging at Simon, huffing that she's going to be a princess, wanting to convey to him that she's happy without him and then realizing she's actually miserable -  then rushing off in a huff, and then amazement that he kissed her and then determination when she realizes she wants more and takes it.πŸ‘πŸΌ

The kiss itself left me curiously dissatisfied though. It's described better in the book (as I recall) and Anthony catching them in the act is much more scandalous (and embarrassing for him! πŸ˜† given Daph's state of - ermm -undress). And of course he demands that Simon marry her, and when he refuses demands satisfaction.

I still cant get why people lose so much control when they know the consequences of it...I mean, passionate kisses I understand but where they would have stopped if A hadnt interrupted is like  Even in open and accepting society, it takes time for lovingly committed  people to get there...seriously like to all those young people/girls watching this- this is not at all how it is in real life...🀣

- The shock on Daph's face says it all - You'd rather die than marry me? She asks, incredulous and shattered. 

- Mama F and Varley are hunting through Papa F's papers. Everything was fine until Papa F blew off Mr. Finch, Philippa's only suitor! Intolerable man! 

- Pen and Marina scene in her bedroom. Marina being all excited about Colin and Pen's face. Ok, I did not like Marina's glee here, I feel it was misplaced. It made her seem like a hunter and it conveyed none of the desperation she must be feeling at her condition. I get Pen being upset here, M does sound like she's using Colin. At the same time, this might have been a good time for Pen to tell Marina that she does not support her leading on someone like Colin, and getting him under false pretenses.

- Then the PenEloise scene happens and Pen basically yells at El, so the BFFs end up having a tiff because of Colin and Marina. You see how much I hate this storyline? I think I probably hate it more than the Anthony-Siena one. They ruined Pen (and to an extent Colin) for me with how she behaved in this entire scenario, and idk if I can ever feel the same towards her. Why, o Why couldn't Marina have cast her eye on someone else? Why Colin? Colin wasn't supposed to have ever been in love, like Anthony, and here they made it like they both have - so Pen and Kate will feel like sloppy seconds! WTF πŸ€’

Lol I hope they redeem themselves when actually showing their love stories...hoping they show much more integral characters than just random stuff for drama!

- Anthony and Daph scene back at Bridgerton House. Oh I love the sibling banter. "I can't live with the Duke's death on my hands. Nor yours, however tempting that might be at the moment!"  πŸ˜†

And then Anthony- the overbearing idiot, just pushes her off to bed. I love Daph's frustration here as she stomps and snorts in fury while Ben and A plan the duel - Ben is his second and you cannot miss the dismay on his face when A tells him he'll be in charge from here on no matter what happens at the duel. He does not want the responsibility, and it tells me here how much Anthony has had to take on since their father's death. It definitely made him what he is today.

- Then Vi comes in piss drunk and Colin ushers her up the stairs and they call Colin in. "Good God! Did someone die?" he says. This was funny!

This whole sequence is rather unconvincing to me...someone like Violet getting so drunk, Prince being so innocent to propose to Daph, Daph and simon loosing control totally and Anthony catching them in the act...It all seems too convenient, so as many other things from this point onwards...

- Simon asks Will to be his second. 

Oh that Simon Will scene was good "Exactly how insulted was his sister?" Oh don't ask...our boy took it completely out of the park πŸ˜†

And then Anthony realizes this duel can be his means of escape - escaping his title, his responsibility and make a new start with the woman he 'loves'? I want to hit him on the head with a sharp instrument for assuming he'd be the victor in the duel and give Siena (and himself) unnecessary hope, but then I also love the fact that he's so darn human here, and shows that frailty that he's kept so carefully hidden, always being strong for the family. 

I also felt it was kind of selfish of him...like he felt slight hope for him and Siena in the form of that duel so he persuaded it completely disregarding Daphne's feelings and the tragic end to his sister's love story

- Papa F discovers that Mama F knows everything! And breaks down. I love both Ben Miller and Polly Walker's expressions here, they made me laugh. And Papa F's name is Archibald! πŸ˜†

- Yes, Daph. Go take charge. Show these damn fool men what fools they are! πŸ˜†

- A telling Ben to take care of Siena if anything should happen to him. Ben is truly worried and asks the doc where A should aim? You're either a fool or the King's finest marksman - says the doc. Ngl, this made me chuckle.

- They move forward and then turn around. Simon has his rifle in the air but A is in no mood to be forgiving, when Daph rides into the path of the bullet. Simon is terrified she's hurt.

"I am perfectly well, no thanks to you idiots", "Says a guy who just shot at me" She kills it...Go girl go!!

Then they move away to have a chat, she tells him she'll be ruined because Cressida Cowper saw them and he still refuses. She cannot believe it until he tells her he cannot give her a family and walks away.

I like how Ben is shown to show some maturity and let them talk and Anthony is like "We need to resume quickly before anyone sees us" πŸ˜†

Again, RJP's expressions were off here, imo. πŸ˜•

And then Daph declares that they are to be married. Phoebe was good in this scene.

Good episode again, lots of action and lots of development!

LizzieBennet thumbnail

E5 is too much for my innocent eyes, I really don't like how, under the name of story, these modern TV shows sell soft p*rn...I think the same things they showed could have been shown much decently and with less skin show...and E6-8, its too mature and heavy..

Tbh, I'm not bothered by it though a lot of it, especially the Anthony-Siena scenes felt gratuitous and put there only for the sake of titillation. I think in case of Daphne- Simon, it was essential to show the growth of Daphne as a sexually awakened woman, and for the *ugh* non-consent scene that happens later. It's much worse in the book, they have actually toned it down a notch in the series, and I'm thankful for that!

btw I remember you mentioned that the book doesn't have a prince....Is there another guy that brings about this jealousy, separation track leading to the big moment or how is it achieved otherwise?

There is no other guy. D and S just agree on their 'ruse' and Anthony is in on it, and makes Simon promise he won't so much as kiss her hand! πŸ˜†

If I recall correctly, Simon meets someone at the Trowbridge ball who's a friend of his father's and he wants to hand over some letters his dad had written. Simon says to burn them but the guy corners Daph and tells her he'd send it to her for safekeeping as he, himself was nearing his last days. Simon is upset and walks out into the terrace and Daph follows him, they have a conversation and it's all organic- D walking out into the garden, and S following her knowing full well Anthony would kill him, and both being completely aware of what would happen next.

Book!Anthony has a reason not to want to fall in love, 

And whats that? (Only answer if its spoiler free lol smiley36)

Well, come to think of it, I guess having loved (and lost) Siena, Anthony not wanting the pain of love sounds like the more plausible (and stronger) argument for him not wanting to fall in love than the one in the books. Which is just watching his family - mainly his mom- deal with the pain of losing his dad whom she loved ver much. 

btw why did Daph laugh when Simon asked her to call her "Simon"...I assume she was just laughing that how she is calling him by his first name now from where they started...but curious if anyone has any other explanation !!

I really have no idea. I must re-watch that scene. i confess I did not pay attention to it, but I think it's more to do with the familiarity and strangeness of calling a man she barely knew by his first name. It was a big deal in those times and for gently bred women like Daphne who knew no single men other than her brothers, I guess it could have seemed like a really huge step.

LizzieBennet thumbnail

One thing that seemed weird to me that how much the Prince seems unaffected by Daphne's courting with Simon...I mean he does mention it in his convo with the Queen earlier so he is definitely well aware of it..but never once he seems affected by Simon's presence, or Daphne's sudden move of accepting his advances...the entire town was talking abt Daph-Simon, its a bit unbelievable to me that anyone, the Prince, especially, wouldn't dig deeper on that before making a proposal...Gosh are these men really that superficial to only care abt beauty and virginity 

Perhaps he feels she wouldn't be able to refuse the attentions of a Prince compared to just a Duke - like Lady W writes in her column? And Daphne does nothing to discourage him either. Idk why they needed the Prince though? Perhaps if just to show that there was another nice guy, who was interested in Daphne and wanted the same things, but her heart wouldn't let her choose him.  I don't know about why the Prince did not dig deeper, but it wasn't uncommon for young ladies in those days to marry for connections and position, so he may have thought she had little reason to reject him. Still he did seem like a nice guy and I did not see any arrogance on his part, at least the way Freddie Stroma played him.

Who is Felicity?

Felicity is a 4th Featherington sister in the books and she's BFFs with Hyacinth.

I still cant get why people lose so much control when they know the consequences of it...I mean, passionate kisses I understand but where they would have stopped if A hadnt interrupted is like smiley29 Even in open and accepting society, it takes time for lovingly committed  people to get there...seriously like to all those young people/girls watching this- this is not at all how it is in real life...smiley37

Well, my dear, this is a romance book adaptation. MLs and FLs are forever losing control in them. 90% of these books have this plot point featuring prominently. πŸ˜† Of course it's not real life, it's not meant to be. πŸ˜† I'm sure no one is going to take inspiration from the way romances are conducted here.

This whole sequence is rather unconvincing to me...someone like Violet getting so drunk, Prince being so innocent to propose to Daph, Daph and simon loosing control totally and Anthony catching them in the act...It all seems too convenient, so as many other things from this point onwards...

True. I prefer the way it plays out in the book. It was dramatic there too, but not this much! Idk why Violet had to get drunk though? Just so she could be out of the way? Btw, Book!Violet does not approve of Simon - she knows him as a friend of Anthony's from childhood and thinks he's a hellion. πŸ˜† He's definitely not her choice for Daphne.

I also felt it was kind of selfish of him...like he felt slight hope for him and Siena in the form of that duel so he persuaded it completely disregarding Daphne's feelings and the tragic end to his sister's love story

I did not see it that way. He is doing his duty for his sister by fighting the duel so I do not think he's disregarding her feelings at all here. He's risking his life for her honor (yes it's also to do with stupid male pride. Besides he does not know it's a 'love story' what with Simon refusing to marry her. He has no idea what they feel about each other, just recognizes that his sister has been 'compromised' and the man in question whom he thought was honorable, has refused to do the right thing by her.

I think he feels so trapped by the mountain of responsibility on his shoulders, that for one brief moment he considers this as an escape for him. Going away, making a new start with the woman he cares about - that he cannot have if he stays in this present society with his title and everything. It must seem attractive. For a brief moment, yes, he was selfish, he thought about himself. I don't know how I can blame him for it. That's why I said he showed that he's as frail, as human as anyone else and it made me actually see him in a different light. I do not think he pursued the duel for that reason though. It comes to him as an afterthought- much after he's issued the challenge to Simon and probably at the time when he tells Ben that he will be the head of the family going forward.

LizzieBennet thumbnail
Originally posted by: MJHTMonayaSajan

Haha so much to show Simon cares for his wife lol...they could have stopped at a kid or two to indicate he is over his revenge issue but still cares about the well being of his wife but no...I think these people really don't know any form of birth control and so its really up for a toss when a person could get pregnant πŸ˜†

Well true that. The 'pull out' method was the only one most couples practiced in the name of birth control and that wasn't foolproof. Though I read a lot of HRs and I have seen a mention of 'French letters' used by the MLs. Also, it was the women who used some form of birth control - like a cervical diaphragm or cap, especially courtesans since they had to do this for a living.

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Here, I found this article - you might find it interesting.

https://www.insider.com/bridgerton-show-book-differences-julia-quinn-netflix