Fan Fictions

New ArShi FF: Birds of a Feather Link to Thread 2 on Pg. 1 [20/04/'20] - Page 53

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Minahil96 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Happy New Year Archie! Have a blessed and a prosperous year ahead.

The last chapter was so beautiful , the bond which has been created between two introvert people is just so beautiful.

Cant wait for the next one.

TwilightStar_JP thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Yay it's Friday!  💃💃💃

-Archi- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 8
Originally posted by: Gurmeet4Drashti

Aaaah!!!

I usually try summing up my feelings in a few words at the end of every chapter because I genuinely relate to a lot of traits of your characters. But this one was just so hopeful and lovely that I want to treat you to your favorite meal for making me happy ❤️

Awww, dil Khush kar diya ❤️

Originally posted by: LoLo

Interesting chapter.  Both birds are finally beginning to fly, whether they realize it or not, with help from the other.  Very interesting story.👍🏻

Thanks hun! Yes, they are learning to fly...

Originally posted by: mansaf

Khushi is afraid to be happy, this is what I feel toward her character!!!

Thank you for the update.  

Very accurate! Khushi is indeed afraid to be happy because every time she is, it was taken away from her 😒

Originally posted by: msingh27

Thank you for a wonderful update dear. Beautifully penned. Love how arnav is trying to mend his ways. Khushi has a long ways to go but at least both are somewhat trying. Thanks again ... Please do add me to your PM list

Thanks! Welcome to the FF 🤗

Unfortunately, I don't send out PMs anymore... the new IF is just way too time consuming. If you want notifications, you can follow my blog or Wattpad 😊

-Archi- thumbnail

Originally posted by: AbhiNikiLuver

A very very happy new year to you too Archie 🤗

It’s been a long ten years. Coincidentally, I both started and ended the decade reading your work! I think the last chapter of Hum Tum was updated in the first couple days of January 2010, and I read the latest update of Birds of a Feather on the last day of 2019! 

So glad your writing has been a constant this decade. Hope it's the same for the next decade! 

PS- I always wanted to ask where you and Rhea came up with the premise for Hum Tum. Did y'all have any other ideas for DMG/AN ff's?

Aww, thanks hun ❤️

Tbh, me and Rhea came up with Hum Tum during lunch time when we were in high school 😆

We used to obsess over DMG and felt very enraged that Abhi-Nikki were being sidelined in the show... so we would discuss all these alternative plots and Hum Tum eventually came to be. They were the good old days   

I moved to a different city after that, so we couldn't continue writing together anymore 😒 I am sure we had other ideas for DMG FFs, but life just got so busy... maybe someday! 

Edited by -Archi- - 4 years ago
-Archi- thumbnail

Hello!

Thank you for all of the wonderful wishes! Hope the new year is going well for you guys!

My comments above (pg. 71).

For notifications every time I update, please follow my blog or Wattpad!

The content of this story belongs strictly to the author, -Archi-. Any unwarranted use/copy of it is not encouraged and is strictly prohibited.

Chapter Twenty-One

Expert

Khushi could not remember a time when she was so happy in her life. The closest was probably when she was a child, unaware, unrestricted and just free. But even those memories came nowhere close to the absolute joy she felt now. 

Her days were all the same: hectic, stressful and sometimes downright depressing. But she relished it all, because she finally had a purpose in life again. She had something to look forward to every morning and even though she didn’t realize it, something in the evenings too. 

Despite being nervous on her first day, Khushi had adjusted to her new hospital so quickly that it felt like she had been always there. A part of that credit probably went to Ved, who made sure she felt welcome everywhere she went. But mostly –and Khushi refused to acknowledge it– it was because she was good at her job. No one, not even the senior resident doctors, could deny that she was knowledgeable, confident and most of all, unafraid. In short, she had none of the qualities that defined new interns. It had amazed them. 

Khushi wished it didn’t. 

“Damn… that was a tough one,” Ved muttered. 

Khushi didn’t reply. She had just emerged from a four-hour surgery that was scheduled to go on for longer had the patient’s heart not failed halfway through. 

“It’s okay,” Ved continued, misunderstanding her silence. “We can’t save everyone. The first one is always the worst.”

Khushi wiped her hands dry. “That wasn’t my first.”

Ved was confused. “How many surgeries have you been in? This is only your second one right?”

“Are you keeping tabs on how many cases I am getting?”

“Gotta keep an eye on the competition.”

Khushi rolled her eyes. “I am not competition.”

“And I am not a man,” he replied, sarcastically. “But tell me, when did a patient die on you? It’s only been a month since you joined!”

“I took Surveen’s shift last week and her patient coded in the middle of night. He was gone before we wheeled him in for surgery.”

“You ran a code all by yourself?!” Ved appeared horrified.

“It’s just a code. Relax.”

“… and you said you are not competition?”

Khushi shrugged. The reality was they all blew it out of proportion. So what if she knew how to carry out procedures? So what if she knew how to handle a difficult patient? Why couldn’t they just let her be? Why did they all insist on glorifying her as a gifted doctor? 

It was all so stupid. And also nerve-wracking. 

Khushi knew sooner or later, they would figure it out that she was repeating her internship. Their reaction, then, was not something she wanted to see. Especially Ved, who had joked casually over lunch one day that she was his best friend. 

“I am serious!” he exclaimed. “I spend more time with you than with my girlfriend. We are best friends and will soon become soul mates if one of us doesn’t leave!”

She rolled her eyes, being used to his antics by now. “Stop exaggerating. We don’t spend all our time together.”

“Um, yeah we do. You have slept four out of five nights in the hospital this week and so did I. People would think we are having an affair.”

“You wish. I’m just trying to catch up on everything I missed. What’s your excuse for taking extra shifts?”

“You are already caught up Khushi. Even graduating interns have a hard time doing some of the things you can. Where did you learn it all?”

Khushi ignored him, but the guilt in her stomach cut a little deeper. 

Arnav was not of much help either. “If it’s bothering you so much, just tell him the truth.”

She stared at him incredulous. They were having dinner together –it was now routine for them to eat together any time she was not on shift– when she had just finished recounting her conversation with Ved that day. “What do you mean tell him?!”

“Tell him you were an intern before. What’s the big deal?”

Khushi didn’t reply, choosing instead to play with her food. 

“Look,” Arnav said, watching her. “He clearly is a good friend and you don’t want to lose him. So, just do yourself a favour and tell him.”

“And if he asks why I left the last hospital without writing the intern exam?”

Arnav shrugged. “You had a family emergency. We have been over this before.”

Khushi didn’t argue with him, knowing that he wouldn’t understand. However, her silence seemed to have said it all. 

“Just spit it out Dr. Gupta,” he said. “I hate suspense.”

A small smile escaped her lips. It was always like that with him; easy and light. Khushi couldn’t recall when their relationship took such a one-eighty-degree turn, or for that matter how. Ever since he pushed her to resume work, he had become her number one confidant. He probably didn’t understand a word of the medical jargon she used, but he always knew what to say in response. 

And the best part of it all was that Khushi never had to pretend with him. With her father, she had to be the docile daughter, with her brother, the overprotective sister and with her in-laws, the obedient daughter-in-law. But with him? It was easy. She could be anything she wanted, because she knew he didn’t care. He had no expectations from her, so whether she lived up to her image or not, it didn’t matter. 

“It’s stupid really,” Khushi said, shaking her head. “But it’s just… embarrassing. Repeating your intern year is embarrassing.”

“Hmm.”

Arnav didn’t have anything else to say, so they simply finished their dinner in silence. It was one of those rare occasions that Khushi didn’t feel relieved after talking to him, but she should have known better. 

When she arrived at the hospital next morning, she was summoned to Dr. Awasti’s office for a meeting. Surprised, she gingerly went to see her mentor. 

“Come in,” Dr. Awasti said. “Have a seat.”

Khushi obliged. 

“The senior doctors are very impressed with your work and dedication Dr. Gupta.”

“I am sure they are just being kind, there is still a lot I have to learn.”

“On the contrary, I think it’s time for you to write your intern exam.”

Khushi was dumb founded.

“I have spoken to the authorities and they all agree that since you have already completed nine months of your internship elsewhere, there really is no point for you to repeat the entire year here. It’s been over a month since you joined, and you have done exceptionally well. We think it’s best if you give your exam with Dr. Arora and the others. If you pass, which going by your record, you will, you will be selected to be a resident doctor here.”

It was too good to be true. How was it that just yesterday she was worried about her secret getting out and today, she was being given the chance to bury the hatchet once and for all? 

“Do you have any objections? Or can I go ahead and register you for the upcoming exam?”

Khushi blinked, coming out of her reverie. “Are you sure I am allowed to do that?”

Dr. Awasti smiled, a rare thing for her. “Yes, I am very sure. I thought you would be happy with the news.”

“I am!” Khushi said quickly. “I am, thank you. I am just not able to believe it.”

“Well you have four weeks to believe it and sit for your exam. Good luck.”

And Khushi knew she was dismissed. Pulling out her phone, Khushi walked out of Dr. Awasti’s office, typing out a message to the person she knew was behind this miracle.  

What did you do?!

Arnav’s reply was almost instant.

Nothing… Why? What happened?

Don’t play dumb… I know you talked to the board and convinced them to let me take my intern exam along with Ved.

Did Awasti say that?

Khushi scoffed and answered:

Like she would dare. I just know it was you.

It wasn’t… but more importantly, congratulations :D 

Thank you… I owe you big time. Again.

First pass the exam Dr. Gupta. We can think about the formalities later ;)

Khushi grinned in response, almost skipping back to the OB/GYN floor, where she was on shift for the day. 

Life at the family front was surprisingly good too. Despite fearing her father’s wrath a month ago, Khushi found that he was now a distant memory that no longer haunted her. Perhaps it was because she didn’t have time to ponder about these things –what with the hospital keeping her so busy– or perhaps it was because she was confident that even if he did come storming back into her life, she had her answers ready. 

At least, that’s what she had told Vihaan when he stopped by the hospital during her lunch break the other day.

“You seem happy,” he had noted while they were sipping coffee in the cafeteria. “I guess life is back on track?”

Khushi grinned. “I don’t think our lives are ever on track, but yes, I am happy. As long as Papa stays far from me, I will always be happy.”

Vihaan snorted. “Does he know you resumed your practice?”

“I was going to ask you that actually. I was expecting him to barge in here by now and drag me back to the dungeons.”

“Your sense of humor needs to improve Khush. That’s not funny at all.”

She simply shrugged. From the way she was seeing it, that was exactly what it was. 

“Papa seems…. reserved nowadays,” Vihaan said slowly. “He is worried about something I think.”

“Oh really?” 

“I can’t be too sure, but he is mostly locked up in his office all day.”

“What about at dinner time?”

“Oh, I don’t bother to eat dinner with him anymore.”

“Why not?”

“Well… Ahana thinks I am getting too fat.”

Khushi almost spit out the coffee she was drinking. “She thinks you are fat?”

“Shut-up,” he replied, avoiding her eyes. 

Khushi giggled. “Did she put you on a diet then?”

Vihaan sighed. “Yes, sadly. I am stuck with salads at night and I rather eat that in my room, drowning my sorrows in TV, rather than with Papa, who is ever ready to quiz me on the stock market.”

Khushi laughed, mentally making a note to thank her sister-in-law. Although Vihaan was the quiet one in the house, he had always gotten what he had wanted without any fuss. So it was very satisfying to see him denied of something

“But anyway,” he said, serious once again. “From the looks of it, I don’t think Papa has time to think about what you are up to.”

Khushi was little relieved. “What about your position in the company? Is he going to hold up his end of the bargain any time soon?”

“I think so. He scheduled a meeting with the lawyers next month, and I am assuming it’s for that.”

Khushi nodded, somewhat satisfied. 

As if on the cue, her pager went off. “I have to run,” she said, standing up. “Thanks for coming Vihaan.”

“Don’t be silly,” he said, hugging her. “I miss you.”

“Come home then. And bring Ahana. I haven’t seen her in so long.”

Vihaan smiled. “Will I have to take an appointment for that Dr. Gupta? Because every time I have called these past few days, you seem to be here.”

She rolled her eyes. “Bye Vihaan.”

“See ya baby sis!”

And Khushi happily made her way back to the emergency room, where a new accident case was just brought in. 

Keep scrolling for the next chapter! 🥳

Edited by -Archi- - 4 years ago
-Archi- thumbnail

The content of this story belongs strictly to the author, -Archi-. Any unwarranted use/copy of it is not encouraged and is strictly prohibited.

Chapter Twenty-Two

Appearances

Khushi drummed her fingers against her teacup, forcing her eyes to stay open. She had just finished a thirty-hour shift at the hospital, when her mother-in-law called, reminding her to come early for a presumably-long-ago-planned Raizada family dinner. 

Obviously, Khushi lied through her teeth in response, reassuring Satya that she was already on her way and then blamed the unpredictable Delhi traffic when she finally arrived at the Raizada mansion two hours late. Truth be told, Khushi had forgotten all about this dinner, which apparently was a tradition for the Raizadas. Every few weeks, all the cousins assembled for an evening of wine and gossip. Satya had called her almost a month ago, requesting her to not skip the event as Arnav often did. Khushi had –unthinkingly– agreed at once. 

And now she was paying for it. 

Arnav had again chosen to not come, though thankfully, he informed his parents ahead of time about it. Khushi was not given grief about his absence, and was instead warmly welcomed inside, where she was at once grabbed by Arnav’s numerous cousins, who insisted on quizzing her about her married life. After almost three hours of questions, which lasted all through dinner, Khushi finally found herself alone, wondering when it would be appropriate to call it a night and leave. 

“You have to wait until Papa finishes the wine, that’s when it’s late enough to leave.”

Khushi looked up from the armchair she was sitting on, startled to see her youngest sister-in-law. “Erm, no…” she replied guiltily. “I was just thinking about… work.”

Lavanya laughed. “Do doctors lie even when they are not on duty?”

Khushi sighed, accepting defeat. She was too tired to argue anyway. “What happens if you leave early?”

“Nothing much… Mom will freak out over how boring it was for the younger generation and then after a week, she will go right back to planning the next one.”

Khushi snorted. 

“Bhabhi, wine?” asked Bhagat, or Bhagi as everyone fondly called him, holding out a glass of red wine. 

“No thank you,” she replied, holding up her teacup. “I don’t drink.”

“Well you should,” said Dev, another one of the Raizada cousins, settling himself on the floor beside her. “Putting up with Bhai cannot be done sober.”

They were joined by Mitali and Samriddhi –Sam– who were two best friends until Mitali fell in love in Sam’s brother, Bhagi. The alliance, happily accepted by the family, only deepened the two girls’ affection for each other. 

“Then your wife will have to be downright tripping to live with you Dev,” Sam retorted. 

“Please, I know how to take care of girls-”

“Didn’t you get me socks for my birthday last year?”

Because you told Mitu that you can never find socks in the morning!

As Dev and Sam settled into an argument, which Khushi was more than happy to simply observe, Lavanya leaned forward and asked in a low voice, 

“So are both you and Arnav finally sleeping on the same bed now?”

Khushi almost spit out the tea she was sipping. “W-what?” she coughed. “Obviously me and Arnav sleep on the same bed!”

Lavanya snorted. “Okay, rule number one if our bond is going to be real – stop lying.”

Khushi looked around to make sure none of the others heard them, but they were all too busy laughing at Dev and Sam’s banter. “How do you know I am lying?” she muttered. “And what on earth makes you think me and Arnav are not…”

“Sleeping together? It’s obvious.”

“Obvious how?”

Lavanya hesitated, before saying, “You are reluctant with him, you act as though he is just another person.”

Khushi looked at her suspiciously. “That’s not what you wanted to say, was it?”

“Stop doubting me-”

“Rule number two if this bond is going to work,” Khushi interrupted. “You don’t keep things from me. No filtering, okay?”

Lavanya smirked. “Fine. What I wanted to say was that he doesn’t look at anything below your forehead.”

Khushi closed her eyes in mortification.

“You were the one who asked.”

“My sex life is not up for analysis!” she hissed.

“Yeah, because it’s non-existent.”

Khushi shook her head in exasperation and went back to sipping her tea. 

Lavanya grinned, triumphant, before saying, “I think we are going to be great friends Bhabhi… I see it already.”

“Wait,” Khushi said seriously, sitting up in her chair. “Does everyone think me and Arnav are not sleeping on the same bed?”

Lavanya nodded. 

“But they can’t all think like you?”

A new voice interrupted them. “I can hear your argument from a mile away! Why are you two fighting like spoilt children?”

Khushi looked up to see Arnav standing over her, his eyes tired, but his face smiling. He was talking to Dev and Sam, who instantly stopped arguing upon spotting him. 

“Bhai!” Sam said, standing up. “You tell us – do you ever gift a girl socks for her birthday?!”

Dev also stood up. “And what if the said girl is in a desperate need of socks?”

“Shut-up Dev! No one is ever in a desperate need of socks.”

Arnav simply sighed, causing Khushi to instantly stand up and come to his rescue.  “I thought you were working till late today?” she asked, trying to divert the topic.

“I am,” he answered. “And it’s late.”

Khushi didn’t follow.

“It’s midnight Khushi – I am here to pick you up.”

Lavanya snorted. “And you ruined yet another moment between us.”

Bhai!” Sam interrupted. “Help me here!”

Arnav had no choice but to answer. “If the girl explicitly asked for socks, then it’s not a problem-”

Dev whooped in joy. “Thank you for being rational!”

But,” Arnav continued. “If she didn’t say anything, then socks are a pathetic gift. Happy?”

Sam grinned, thoroughly satisfied. 

“So what did you give Khushi for her birthday then?” Lavanya asked, a knowing smile on her face.

Arnav narrowed his eyes, understanding full well what his sister was getting at. “That Lavu, is not something meant to be heard by little children. Where are Di and Maa?”

Lavanya grinned and let it go. Together, all of them went back to the living room, where it seemed Lavanya’s predictions were coming true: Shankar had indeed finished his wine and was just announcing how late it was, when he was cut off by Aditi, the youngest cousin of the Raizadas.  

“Arnav Bhai! You came!” she said excitedly, giving him a hug.  

“Didn’t you say you had work Chote?” Satya asked, a small smile playing on her lips. 

“On come on Satya,” one of the older ladies answered. “Don’t you know how it goes with newlyweds?”

The crowd laughed in response. 

“So you are here for Bhabhi?” Aditi asked, naive.

Arnav cleared his throat. “Well, the driver took an emergency leave and Khushi can’t drive, so I thought I should come pick her up.”

Of course you should pick her,” said Nand-Kishore, another first cousin, with a smirk. “None of us have cars or drivers, right Nannav?”

The laughter continued for another round. Khushi looked at the floor, wondering if Arnav’s arrival saved her or pushed her into more torture. 

“Shut-up NK!” interrupted Aditi, frowning. “Arnav Bhai was probably worried for Bhabhi… it’s her first time here with all of us alone.”

Before NK could answer, Lavanya said with a wink, “It’s a newlywed thing Aditi. You will get it eventually.”

Everyone failed miserably to stifle their grins at poor Aditi’s clueless face. When they were all satisfied with pulling their leg, Khushi was given permission to leave. Remembering Lavanya’s comments, she slyly slipped her hand into Arnav’s as they exited the mansion. Fortunately, he didn’t object and instead continued walking as if it was the most natural thing to do, as though it wasn’t the first time they were consciously touching each other. 

It was just as they stepped out of the front doors, when Khushi looked back to catch Lavanya’s knowing eye, that she knew her plan worked: everyone saw them holding hands. 

Decided to treat all of you for being such wonderful readers 🤗

Please like & comment!

Archi

mansaf thumbnail
Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Thank you for the 2 chapters. Lavanya is doing a great job. Arnav has a past with failure relation that is why steps toward his new relation is moving slow. 

Minahil96 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Ah waited the whole day , thankyou for the bonus chapter . 

Loved the slow and steady progress in their relationship.

What is wrong with Khushi’s father , what is he hiding.

Cant wait for everything to unfold.

coderlady thumbnail
Most Comments (2023) 1 Thumbnail Most Comments (July 2023)  1 Thumbnail + 8

I don't see why it was so hard for Khushi to tell her co-workers that she had partially done her internship before? The record of it already exists. The reason didn't have to be disclosed.

coderlady thumbnail
Most Comments (2023) 1 Thumbnail Most Comments (July 2023)  1 Thumbnail + 8

For now they are holding hands for appearances, but hopefully soon it will be real.