Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 4 years ago

Originally posted by: mystic786

Yeah it gives them layers and makes them believable. I totally agree that everything in the 90s was stereotyped, stupid and over the top in BW  That's why Darr was different. 

We still don't have a whole lot of decent villains in BW and on Indian TV. 😪 It's still mostly black or white.

@Bold Oh really? lol 😁😁

Actually you're right, we still get pretty generic villains. Darr kinda made it cool for lead actors to play villains, though villains are made sympathizing only when a star is playing it. Like in 2.0, Akshay got a backstory, or Aamir in Dhoom 3. And if they are not sympathizing, they are made to look cool like Don or Khilji. But it only happens when the villain is the lead character, or is played by a star. 

Badlapur was a great movie in that regard where different shades of Varun and Nawaz's characters come out, and audience is left to decide who is the Villain and who is the hero. 

Yeah, it must have hurt Sunny's ego that a newcomer stole the show from him and people now remember it as SRK film, though when Darr was released Sunny was the top Superstar, so his star power must've helped the film at box office. 

Although Sunny himself did the same thing in Damini which released the same year. He came only in the second half of the movie, but people remember the film only because of his iconic dialogues. I don't see Rishi Kapoor or Meenakshi Sheshadri getting salty about it ever. 

mystic786 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Ok I could be wrong but that song's title is literally "Tu Hai Meri Kiran" 😅 which is emphasising Rahul's obsession for Kiran. It does seem a bit weird but we have to realise that this is 90s BW (where a song is required to convey any imp msg) and that Rahul was the most important character in that story, kinda like a villain-protagonist, the order is like this:

1. Rahul

2. Kiran

3. Whatever Sunny's name was 

Rahul was definitely not a conventional villain of 90s BW, which was what made Darr different, but other than this song thing, he's never glorified in the film. SRK just had the more interesting (but tough) and more prominent role and anyone can tell that just by reading the premise of Darr. If Sunny wanted the spotlight on him so bad he should've never signed a 2 hero film in the first place where the other guy clearly has the more prominent role based on the premise alone.

I mean, dude, this is a film about a guy's obsession for a girl and how he will go to any lengths to get her, what major role could he have possibly hoped for in such a film? He would obviously just be a flower pot boyfriend. I can't imagine Kiran's SO having any significant role in this. They still gave Sunny ample screen time. 

Originally posted by: IAmLuvBolly

He does sound salty and bitter about it many years later which makes him seem immature.  But the whole story is not that simple.  

First of all I do think there was some glorification of SRK’s character in Darr.  He wasn’t a typical Hindi movie villain.  I mean they gave him an actual romantic song with Juhi.  So Sunny is not totally wrong in saying the villain was glorified.  

The role was first offered to Aamir who turned it down saying things like he didn’t have time or whatever.  Years later when he was asked why he really didn’t do Darr Aamir said that he had asked Yash Chopra several times for a joint narration with him and Sunny and Yash Chopra wouldn’t do it.  I know Yash Chopra is dead now and we shouldn’t speak ill of the dead and all that, but Sunny wasn’t the first mainstream actor to have had issues with him.  Akshay Kumar wasn’t too happy either after his cameo in Dil To Paagal Hai over some monetary issues.  So to me it is not that hard to believe that Sunny got played by Yash Chopra with regards to Darr.  

Edited by mystic786 - 4 years ago

How many years has it been that he’s been crying over this? Such a looser. If he had problem, he should’ve have had problem with PH. Why have problem with SRK who wasn’t even a star at the time and had no hand in whatever he’s accusing him of? He’s proudly saying he didn’t talk to srk for 18 years as if SRK is the villain. I am glad the movie was such a huge success for SRK. He deserves every bit of it.   

astha36 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

I don't think Sunny is wrong in reciting this incident. Why not? If he really got played, which could very well be, then he can bring it up whenever he wants. If he was led to believe the movie would turn out to be different from what it turned out later, then it is the filmmaker's fault. These things do happen in this business right? Like Katrina gets songs added in her movies to make her role more prominent. Akshay was known for cutting others' roles. Same could've happened here or worse, the filmmaker knew he wanted a strong negative lead but didn't reveal that to Sunny so he got a star son to act as well. I don't find Sunny a loser for saying this. 

Originally posted by: tanvismile

Well there was glorification of villian 

Giving a song Kiran to SRK isn't it romantic intrepretation for stalking .... People are suppose to hate the stalker not sympathise with his emotions . Now recently there was a TV show the lead was obsessive and parallel lead was positive yet it was the main lead show who was obsessive. People sympathised with her.Though now if u check YouTube videos people are understanding who is positive .The concepts from the perspective of negative character people end up sympathising with them.So that's called glorification of villian.

Comparing Sunny’s complete positive character from darr to an obsessed homewrecker after a married man glorified as positive is an insult to sunny’s daar character. Please don’t compare two. Sunny didn’t go after a married woman and was obsessed and pretending to be positive and having no ill intentions whenever he would cause problems between a married couple all the time. Always stalking the married couple whether in their proposals, their intimate scenes and heck even their sex nights. And as far as I see, majority still love the main lead who according to you was obsessed because people would rather see a wife obsessed with a husband than a homewrecker obsessed with a married man who can never move on and always come between a married couple. I still don’t see YouTube people understanding the so called positive character as they still hate her and wished she died for being the annoying and obsessed homewrecker she was. Sunnys character and her character are so different.  Their is not even 1% similarity. And I didn’t even like sunnys character because it was too boring, but I would never say he was negative or anything like that so called positive was. 

Originally posted by: FruitToasty

Don't think SRK had any kind of power over anyone when they did Darr, he was simply happy that he is doing a movie and earning money. 

SRK won Filmfare best actor in negative role for this movie (I am not sure), villain wasn't glorified, he died in the end, villain was a human and a very unlikely character for hindi cinema, generally villains back then were old powerful with muscle and money power, this one was a psychopath, people connected to him more because of SRK's acting and the fact that he was younger than the hero and obviously more good looking, so there will be comparison.... I won't draw a parallel between Anupam Kher and Sunny Deol

Coming to Sunny, the dude is an MP now, he can stop being petty about it, yelling Dhai kilo ka hath is not acting 

Exactly. SRK didn’t have any power or stardom at the time. Him having issue with SRK is so stupid. And then him having problem with SRK until now is so immature when it’s been decades now. It was just a role in a movie. He should’ve problem with the actual ppl if they were behind it. 

Mistyy thumbnail

If he still doesn’t understand why people loved Srk more than him in Darr, then he mine as well stop directing the movie with his son. He clearly doesn’t understand how audience works, it’s not about glorifying. Rather it’s about connecting. 

For example, kuch kuch hota he was full on Srk-Kajol movie but people still remember Salman cameo more. Not everything is about screen space. 

Edited by Mistyy - 4 years ago
zehreeli.kheer thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7

Even if Sunny got played, which I doubt he did, why on earth is he mad at Shah because of it? Its not like Shah at that point was a YRF favorite or had any clout to cut anyone's character.. the onus of this one falls on YRF and YRF alone... Sunny comes across as silly being bitter with Shah about it.. 

And Sunny wasn't exactly sidelined.. He had plenty of SS.. its actually Juhi who got minimal attention.. Sunny got the typical hero scenes but people just liked the villain better😆

tanvismile thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: zehreeli.kheer

Even if Sunny got played, which I doubt he did, why on earth is he mad at Shah because of it? Its not like Shah at that point was a YRF favorite or had any clout to cut anyone's character.. the onus of this one falls on YRF and YRF alone... Sunny comes across as silly being bitter with Shah about it.. 

And Sunny wasn't exactly sidelined.. He had plenty of SS.. its actually Juhi who got minimal attention.. Sunny got the typical hero scenes but people just liked the villain better😆

Definitely SRK wasn't a typical villian ....he should be hated but he was liked ....that's exactly where sunny got played and he isn't wrong to say that.In any other normal movie we would hate the villian .It was written in such a way that people like SRK.Thats why its always being bollywood romantisize such things which is wrong.Now there was no need to stop talking to SRK for 16 years nevertheless he is just being honest why people going mad at him.Ofcourse now he doesn't have anything in his heart he just shared an incident of past.

Originally posted by: mystic786

Lol what? Was he in the same film that we watched? 😂😂

SRK's character was NOT glorified in Darr. He was portrayed as a villain throughout. It is because SRK gave such an amazing performance that people still remember him and not Sunny, who (again) just played the quintessential Bollywoood romantic hero, nothing worth remembering. SRK took the risk and it paid off, Sunny just played safe.

Sunny could've never pulled off SRK's role, it's all about talent and the one who's more talented will shine.

IMO, it was because sunny’s character was too bland and boring even if it was positive and because sunnys weak performance that people didn’t care much about his character. While SRK’s character was interesting, much better and with superb performance by SRK which masses connected with. It didn’t help that SRK and Juhi had a really great chemistry compared to sunny and Juhi. At the end, people don’t care much about who was positive and who was psychotic. It’s the performance, the character, the story and chemistry which connect with the masses. That’s what matters in the end.