Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

nisha_mehta thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago
Khushi should have shared her problem with arnav. Akash is up to no good. Hope that khushi will not help him.
Continue soon 
vj2102 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Omg.. The suspense is killing me 
Pearl_Oyster thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 7

Chapter 18: Dealing with the Devil

Aman Mathur thanked his gods when he stopped his car at the side of the road and found the cart still there. This was surely what he needed after the hectic day that he had at the office. But if he was being honest, he was more tired hearing Arnav detail him about his love life from the beginning. And although he had given his friend the best advice he could think of he still thought love is a fool's errand. It's more trouble than it's worth. Unlike the Bread Pakodas' that he had stopped here for!

This cart that he had stumbled upon two months back by accident was the best thing that had happened to him in a while. It sold the best bread pakodas' in the city or at least so Aman thought. So, he had started stopping here every day after the office to get some packed which went perfectly with his gingered tea at home.

As he got down his car and approached the cart, the cart owner looked at him rather apologetically.

"I just ran out of today's batch" He said sheepishly as Aman reached at the cart.

"Damn" Aman said, looking at his watch. The meeting today had ended late making him miss his latest daily vice.

"Tomorrow, I'll bring a bigger batch, Saahab. The sale has gone up this past two week as the temperature is dropping in the evening time" The man said in the thick Awadhi accent that Aman found interesting.

"No problem, man! It's my bad luck" said Aman before he started heading back to his car.

But he stopped at the sight of the girl that he seemed to have seen somewhere, who was currently standing at some distance and enjoying the very same pakodas Aman had closely missed.

He noticed she was holding a packaged bag too, the same one he daily took home.

"No. Don't do it, Aman" He told himself but before he knew it, he was standing in front of the girl.

"Hey" He said.

The girl jumped at his sudden and over cheerful address and he mentally kicked himself.

"I think I know you" He said as the girl stared at him, looking wearily at him from head to toe.

First she seemed confused and then she slowly nodded, putting away her pakodas, wrapping it back in the aluminum foil.

"Yes. Hi. I am Payal. You helped me at the road, took me to a doctor" She said, not looking very pleased to see him. He recalled how she had yelled at him the previous time. This was really not a good idea.

"Payal. Yes. You know what? You never really paid me back for all that help, did you?" He began with a grin and before Payal could speak he continued further.

"And you know what? I am a big fan of these Bread Pakodas' but by the time I reached here, the vendor had already run out of them. So, I think it is only fair if you share your share with me?" Aman finished, gesturing at the bag she held in her hands.

Okay. He could have said it better, thought Aman as Payal looked really baffled and then a smile appeared on her face.

"You're a real gentleman! Asking something in return of your help" she said.

"Well, a man needs to eat" replied Aman.

"But I can't give these to you. I too love them and I travelled so far to get them" She said and Aman looked at her like she was kidding.

"Really? You are not going to share?  Well, from this moment on, I am going to stop helping girls at all" replied Aman and then he turned to leave.

"Wait" Payal called and he mentally congratulated himself.

"I wouldn't want you to stop helping girls" Payal said, the corners of her mouth pulling into a smile.

"You can take them" She said, handing him the pack.

"No no. I said share. I can't take all of these. You said you travelled some distance to get these" Aman said, realizing she was actually going to give him all. So, she isn't in a bad mood all the time.

"It is okay. You can have them. Besides, I never got the chance to apologize for being a little rude that day" Payal continued.

Aman could see she was being sincere and so he nodded.

"Okay. I'll take these. Besides, I really think you shouldn't be eating street food. Isn't it bad for your health and the little one you're carrying?" He asked and Payal loosened a breath.

"Yes. But I can't help the cravings all the time" She replied and Aman shook his head at her, as if he understood.

"You should be thankful to me that I arrived on time and took these off your hands" He said with a grin and Payal squinted her eyes at him.

"You're really full of yourself" She observed which had Aman bowing at the waist.

"Guilty as charged" He said before he thanked her once again for the pakodas and started walking away.

Payal watched after him. He really was a strange fellow; she mused and started looked around for a taxi.

A few minutes passed and having not found a taxi Payal decided to walk home. She had walked only a few meters when she heard a car screeching to a stop next to her.

"I'd really hate it for the girl to walk home on foot who so selflessly offered me her bread pakodas. Get in! I'll drop you home" Aman said, looking out from the window of his car, a friendly smile plastered on his face.

Payal first thought of refusing his offer but then she realized it was a long walk back home and it was getting dark, and she also didn't want that friendly smile gone from the face of this man who had already helped her once.

So, she obliged.

Once she was in the car, had fastened her seatbelt and given Aman the address, she looked at him who was now driving. He seemed a good person. But, so had Akash at first! And the thought of Akash had Payal's face drop.

"I am going to assume you're avoiding any conversation because you most probably don't remember my name" Aman began after a minute's silence.

That had Payal giving a faint smile as she shook her head.

"No. I do remember your name. It was either Amar or Aman" She said and Aman laughed.

"Definitely not Amar" He said.

"Aman" Payal said. 

Aman tucked the thought away that he liked the way she said his name.

"So, what do you do?" He said instead.

"I graduated from college last year. For now, I am waiting for a response to the applications I sent out to a few media houses to join them for a paid internship" She answered and Aman nodded. He had already noticed that she looked unmarried. That explained why she had gotten so worked up when he had asked her about her husband at the hospital. Although he was curious and wanted to ask about it, he realized it wasn't his place to be asking such questions.

"I wish you good luck with them" He offered with a gentle smile.

"Thank you" She said. As few more minutes passed by, Aman realized that she wasn't the one to talk on her own. And he wasn't the one to keep silence. Not when it looked she had a lot on her mind.

"What are you thinking?" He asked her.

"I am thinking if I should do what my heart is telling me to or if I should listen to my mind" Payal said after a beat, not looking at him but at the road ahead. Aman could tell this was about something important, something she had been thinking over for some time now.

"I don't know your situation but if it were me, I will always listen to my heart. Except if it isn't about business. That always has me listening to my brain" He replied nonchalantly but carefully.

Payal looked at him and seemed to consider his words.

"So, you're a businessman?" She asked.

"Yes and no. No, I am not a businessman myself. But yes, I do work for a very established businessman that requires me to manage most of the work" Aman said proudly.

"That sounds like important work" Payal commented.

"It is. And it is also fun because my boss was kind of my schoolmate. We get along pretty well. Although I don't think he will admit that. He is one ungrateful bas***d" Aman said with a laugh.

Payal smiled at that. She could somehow picture it in her head. She was about to tell him that but she realized they were already in her area and she asked him to stop the car.

As she got down the car, she thanked him.

"It was my pleasure, Payal" He said.

Payal then turned away and left. Aman. She repeated his name once again in her head. She was going to take his advice and do what her heart was telling her to do.

Arnav still stood rooted by the window, his mind facing a maelstrom of confused thoughts.

Akash and Khushi knew each other? And from what Arnav had seen from the window, those smiles from Akash, Khushi getting into his car, what did it mean?

Suddenly, that list from the morning that Arnav still had in his back pocket started feeling too heavy.

If the two of them knew each other then why hadn't any of them said anything? Or was it possible by any means that Khushi didn't know that Akash was his brother?

Arnav realized that he was over thinking. But then there was the fact glaring him in the face that Khushi had refused to let him drop her home. Gathering his coat and his belongings, Arnav dialed Akash's number. Akash didn't receive. By the time Arnav reached in the parking, he had read Akash's message ten times already.

"Something important has come up, Bhai.

Cannot come today!

See you at home.

Akash"

Was something going on between Akash and Khushi? As Arnav started driving he realized it wasn't possible. Neither Akash nor Khushi would do something of this kind to him. They wouldn't. There was something that he was missing here. So, Arnav instead decided to go visit someone else.

Akash was driving his car but he kept glancing at his co-passenger. She looked like she wanted to be anywhere but in this car with him. Well, that made two of them. He disliked her holier-than-thou pompous self as much as she hated his guts. But, if he was being truthful, he did enjoy making her squirm. The thrill of being in control, chasing the game, having the upper hand etc. as explained to him by his father was not as bad as he had thought.

Girish Sharma. His father.

Sometimes, Akash still found it difficult to believe everything that had changed in the past six months. Yet, it explained so much.

All his life growing up in the Raizada Mansion, Akash had received only love and care from the people he had thought were his family. But there were times, not many but enough for him to understand that there were things of which he wasn't a part of. Sudden silences at the mention of his father, lack of his pictures with his parents while there were so many of Arnav and Anjali, all of it had always been in Akash's mind. But he had never given it much thought. He had been too busy living his life, having fun until he had found his birth certificate.

Not the one he had seen so many times. This was a birth certificate that had a layer of dust and grime on it and was buried in one of the old boxes of his father. Akash had been dumbfounded.

He didn't know any of the names on that birth certificate.

Akash Sharma. Son of Girish Sharma and Geeta Sharma! But what truly had him thunderstruck was the date of birth on the certificate. Akash Sharma had the same birth date as Akash Singh Raizada. Every single digit before his eyes was same. Same day. Same month. Same year.

But how was it possible?

His parents were Surendra Singh Raizada and Pushpa Raizada. The birth certificate didn't make any sense.

Unless..! Unless he was adopted? The question had haunted him for weeks. But, fate has its own way of revealing things. He was still struggling with this piece of information, unsure how to ask his family all the questions that were dancing in his head. He wanted to know why he wasn't told about the adoption. But, most of all he wanted to know what happened to his real parents. Did they give him up? Because it didn't look like he was an orphan. Or was he? He didn't have to wait too long to find out the truth. Because the truth found him! One night when he had stepped out of the movies with Payal he was accosted by a man in shabby clothes.

The man claimed to be Girish Sharma. To say Akash was bewildered would have been an understatement. He had made Payal leave by getting her into an auto and then he had grabbed the man by his collar. But, as the day had ended, Akash's life as he knew it had ended too.

Not only that man had proved that he was Girish Sharma, he had also obliged him with the truth. The naked and the ugly truth! Akash had finally gotten the answers to the questions he wanted. But the answers were ugly and dark. Such festering filth that Akash couldn't believe it at first. But there were proofs. Of all the vile things Raizada family had done and gotten away with. Only because they had the money and the power! Not only Girish Sharma had given him the answers, he had also given him a plan. A plan to avenge every wrong done against the Sharma family and Akash had agreed. He will help Girish Sharma, his father, in repaying everything the Raizada family had done.

"Where are you going? This is not the correct route" Khushi's panicked voice cut through Akash's spiteful thoughts and he smirked.

Even though he had no personal grudge against the Gupta sisters, this indeed had been a lot of fun, he thought. Plus, this was the only safe way of getting what he wanted. To rob the Raizadas of every single penny.

"A caf is too public a place. And I don't want our business to be done in public" He said and it was clear she didn't believe him one bit.

"No. Stop the car. I decide the place. I am not coming with you to anywhere else" Khushi replied angrily but Akash could see the apprehension in her eyes. She was scared of him. Wise!

"Unless you are planning to jump from the moving car, you don't have much of a choice. And rest assured, despite the things that I say and do, I do not have any interest in you, Khushi Gupta" He said sharply, but she started struggling with the seatbelt.

Stubborn girls these Gupta sisters! Akash thought as his temper flared at her antics. She reminded him so much of Payal. The same obstinate personality, the same determination to do what you are told not to. Akash leaned towards her and grabbed her hand.

"I can very easily be the nasty person I am most of the times, so don't push me, Gupta" He delivered the words with a lethal calm and Khushi stilled. Good.

After driving for another five minutes, he reached in front of his building.

"Come, I'll introduce you to my father" He said with a grin that he was sure looked maniacal.

Khushi was ready to bolt any second now but hearing the words from Akash, her legs stopped moving.

His father?

She was sure this man was a monster but was he delusional too? Khushi knew Arnav's parents were no more. So, how can..?

It was mere curiosity and the pepper spray in her handbag that made her follow him. She meekly followed Akash as he walked past the security guard who saluted him and then they were climbing the stairs. Khushi clutched her handbag closer to her. She had to be prepared if any of this blows back. She had thought a lot about this and now the signed papers that she carried with her were making her heart lurch every second. A caf would have been the better place to do what she had in mind but this building? Khushi told herself that she just had to play it right.

"The elevator is shut down. Had to do it so he wouldn't step out of the building unless he really needs to" Akash said as they kept climbing stairs after stairs and Khushi realized that Akash was behaving off. Usually he was plain nasty with her but today he seemed to be on the edge. She wondered if he was beginning to grow a conscience but thinking back to all the times she had dealt with them, it seemed impossible.

He is a real bas***d. Or he wouldn't have forced her to do what he has. Khushi thought and maintained quiet.

After some more minutes of climbing stairs, they finally reached to the penthouse and Akash pulled out a keycard from his jacket pocket. Khushi, in the meantime, tried to regain her breaths.

"So you f**king made it here! I have been going crazy inside these walls. I had begun to think that you weren't..Oh..I see you have brought company" Khushi heard the scratchy, harsh voice as soon as she stepped inside the apartment which was a total mess.

There was a man on the couch, half sitting and half-lying down. He was dressed in expensive but unclean clothes and reek of alcohol emanated from him.

She didn't take another step in.

"I thought you should meet the girl responsible for our upcoming good fortune. Dad, meet Khushi. Khushi, meet my father" Akash said but there was no thrill in his voice.

The man frowned at Akash.

"What the hell is wrong with you? Why did you bring her here? She still hasn't gotten us those signed papers. She can very well run back to that bas***d Raizada and spill our secrets" The man shouted as Akash made the introduction.

Khushi realized her mind was reeling. This man was Akash's father? Does that mean he and Arnav are not real brothers? But how can that be...?

"Calm down, old man! She has the papers with her. Plus, I still have the upper hand here. If she talks, I will make sure she pays for it" Akash said as much to her as to the man who looked like he was in his late fifties.

The man's features relaxed hearing that and he gave Khushi a long scrutinizing look. It had her feeling sick. Seeing her shudder, the man smirked at her which made Khushi realize he was anything but a good man.

No wonder Akash was such a foul person if he shared blood with this man.

"You are more beautiful than my son here cared to explain to me! It is a pleasure to meet you, Khushi" The man said and Khushi looked at Akash who too was looking at the man with a deep scowl.

"The papers" He demanded turning to her and once again Khushi's blood flow spiked.

She smoothed her face and pulled out the documents from her handbag.

Her hands trembled as she handed them to Akash.

He grabbed them from her and started skimming through the pages. Then a smug smile appeared on his face.

"Well done, Khushi! I am impressed. I had begun to worry if you were really going to deliver or not but.."

"It is your turn now" She cut in sharply, ignoring the sound in her head that was telling her she is taking a big risk.

"Sure" Akash replied. Then he tossed the documents at his father who was practically giddy as he looked at them.

"Tell Payal this was nothing personal. I did what I had to" Akash said more genuinely than Khushi had ever heard him sound as he handed her a pen drive.

"And how am I to believe that this has everything and you do not have any more copies?" Khushi demanded as she secured the pen drive in her hands.

"Because I don't! I don't need them any longer. Believe me or not, I am a man of my word, Gupta" Akash replied and Khushi laughed hollowly.

"A man of your word?  You told Jeeji that you love her and you will marry her. You are a liar and a monster, Akash. That is all what you are!" She said and Akash's face twisted.

"Watch it!" He warned and Khushi looked at the man who was still on the couch and practically leering at her. She then looked back at Akash.

"You really are his son" She said and before Akash could react, she stormed out of the room.

"Feisty little thing!" The man exclaimed from the couch and Akash threw a glare his way.

"Oh stop sulking, son. It is time to celebrate"

By the time Khushi made it out of the building her heart was once again hammering wildly against her ribs.

She opened her palm and looked at the pen drive. Opening her handbag, she placed it inside. A tear fell from her eyes as she realized the magnitude of what she had done and how it was going to affect everything in her life.

"I am so sorry" She whispered to herself as she wiped away the lone tear.

A/N: To those who are not pleased with the turn of events, I just want to say that 'things get worse before they get better'. 😊

For updates of this story, please buddy my PM Account               

Edited by Pearl_Oyster - 7 years ago
AparnaChinnu thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
awesome update 
i really don't think arnav will forgive her
anjs thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Poor Arnav... Khushi doesnt deserve the forgiveness, Trust is a far-off thing now... how coldly she traded Arnav's life to save that pathetic Payal who was enjoying break pakodas on the road... shameless woman... she didnt even attempt to meet Arnav once so that Khushi doesnt have to cheat him.

BroknAngel thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Was confused at the earlier part.. payal was remembering how she met akash.. I think girish played his cards well... 
shils28 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
very well!
But I don't believe Akash. And now.. what about Arnav and Khushi?
Ipk1234 thumbnail
Hi I am new at India forums I was member when ipkknd running... but after 2013 I become inactive... you know real life was so busy ... but now I am back on forum... and really want to read ff regarding our beloved arshi ... 

So I read your one and eagerly waiting for next update...

Thanks
sweta_b thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Nice update. Waiting to see what Arnav is upto ..
BSRaizada thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Going to read after some time .Edited by bhaktiii - 7 years ago