Posted: 7 years ago
Came across ur ff
Loved it
Do cont soon
Pearl_Oyster thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 7

Chapter 17:  Strike me Hard

"What is it, Chote?" asked Anjali when Arnav appeared at the door of her room.

"I need to talk to you, Di" he said as he walked inside the room. His sister gave him a long, proper look and realized that something was on his mind. She closed her wardrobe and came to sit next to him.

"Is it about Akash? Did you talk to him?" she asked him.

Arnav nodded. He then looked around the room, his gaze stopping at the wall strewn with large family pictures. There were so many. Some of him, Anjali and Akash; some of them with their parents, and some of Anjali with her husband Shyam.

"Nani mentioned that you will be going back soon" Arnav began after a moment.

"Yes. Shyamji called yesterday. His mother's health is unstable again. So, I thought I should go back. Ma is better when I am around her" replied Anjali.

Arnav nodded. Then he pulled out a piece of paper from his pocket which he handed to Anjali.

"Akash's girlfriends! And that's a list of this year alone. I asked someone I know to look silently into his life outside the house. What he told me, Di, is not good. I am worried about him. He is turning out exactly like...our father" Arnav sighed.

Anjali looked at the list.

"Seven girlfriends in twelve months. He seemed to stay longer with this girl...Payal" mumbled Anjali and then she crumbled away the paper.

"A list does not make him like our father, Chote. Akash is young. He has just gotten out of college. I am sure he'll come back on line with time" Anjali replied but Arnav didn't seem to agree.

"Sometimes I wonder what if he knew the truth. I keep thinking if he would be the same person he is being now. Maybe knowing the truth would make him strive harder to be a better person" Arnav continued.

"You mean like you do?" asked Anjali which made Arnav look at his sister as if he didn't know what she was talking about.

"You try so hard not to be like our father, Chote. And at times it is not healthy. You try too hard to be good" Anjali explained, voicing what she had never said out loud so far.

"Di, are you saying that it is wrong for me to try to be not like him?" asked Arnav, puzzled by his sister's word. Who in their right mind would want to be the kind of man his father was?

"I am saying that it is wrong to try to be too good, Chote. You don't have to play against that man. You do not have to prove to anyone that you are not him" Anjali said placing a gentle hand over her brother's face.

"You do your best not to hurt anyone. You trust so easily. You love so easily, Chote. It makes me worry about you" said she, and Arnav shook his head.

"This is not about me, Di. This is about Akash. I am saying that he needs to know the truth, and then he can decide what type of man he wants to grow into" Arnav said as he pulled away from his sister's touch.

"No, Chote. Akash doesn't need to know any of it. I don't want him to know the ugliness that has been buried long before. You promised Nani and me that you will never tell Akash" Anjali said.

"But how long we will hide it from him?" asked Arnav.

"As long as we can" Anjali answered.

"You will have to find some other way of making him see things correctly, Chote. Don't dig up the past. Please, let it remain buried" pleaded Anjali and Arnav couldn't help but nod because deep down he too did not want to relive the old memories again.

"There is something else too" He added and Anjali looked at him questioningly.

"There is a girl" said Arnav, more softly than he intended to and Anjali's face instantly broke into an excited smile.

"Finally! I was beginning to worry you wouldn't marry ever" beamed Anjali.

"What is her name? How long have you known her? Who is she?" She started raining down questions and Arnav couldn't help but smile at his sister's eagerness.

"Hold your horses, Di. Her name is Khushi, and marriage is nowhere in sight so far...in fact, she hasn't even told me if she likes me" Arnav's voice lost a decibel as he continued.

"She is very...Unvocal, of her feelings" He finished.

"I want to meet her" Anjali declared and Arnav wondered if she was even listening to what he was saying.

"You have to bring her home. Then Nani and I can take the matter forward so you wouldn't have to be worried about anything, Chote. I am sure we can also fix the problem of her being unvocal. I am the master when it comes to matchmaking" Anjali went on and Arnav had to agree with the last part.

"I'll bring her" He answered though he wondered if Khushi would want to come. Well, he will make her, because it wasn't only Khushi Kumari Gupta who could be stubborn.

Khushi looked around once more and after she was sure Arnav hadn't arrived yet, she pulled out her phone and texted Akash.

"Meet me at the Coffee Junction at 5:30 p.m."

Within a minute, her phone was ringing. She received the call.

"Do tell me you have got the good news for me" drawled Akash from the other side.

"Come at the Coffee Junction with everything that you have on Jeeji and I will" Khushi said, hating every word of it. She looked at the papers lying on her table and told herself there was no other way out. At least not the one where her sister's life wouldn't be ruined. She couldn't tell Arnav about any of this. If she did, Akash will find a way to drag her sister's name through the mud. And she couldn't let it happen.

"Aww! Don't sound so glum, Khushi. Working with me did give you a chance to be frisky with my brother. I am sure you would have enjoyed that. My brother is very good at playing the knight in the spotless white armor. And I, for sure, know that girls dig that" Akash said that made Khushi despise him more than she already did.

"You're a scumbag and in the end you'll know it too" She said.

"Such sweet talks, Khushi! I am excited to see you today. Don't keep me waiting" She heard the call disconnecting and then she sat down in her chair, her face in her hands.

She was no less than Akash. If he had played with her sister she too was doing the same with Arnav.

You're doing it because you have no choice, Khushi. She told herself but even she knew that was a lie she was telling herself to avoid hating herself.

She got up from her chair and brought coffee for Arnav who she could see entering the office in his tailored suit. He looked as sharp and immaculate as ever. And as good hearted as ever! It was a shame she won't be getting to see him after a few days.

When she walked with the coffee mug in his cabin, he looked up and gave her his best smile. One that always had her feeling weak in her knees!

"Good morning, Khushi. And thank you" He said as she placed the coffee on his table.

"Good morning" She replied.

"Your today's schedule; I have mailed it to you. The first video-conference is at 11:30 with the Calcutta clients. Then a lunch at Hotel Blue Star with Mr. Sahni and Aman Sir and right after that you have a 2 o' clock appointment with some designers who are flying in from Mumbai" Khushi quickly narrated as Arnav sipped his coffee.

"That means we are free in the evening?" He said looking at her.

"It looks that way" She replied.

"Good. Because, we need to talk" He said and Khushi stiffened.

"Talk?" She asked.

"Yes, you know? When two people sit over coffee and tell each other stuff? That's talk" He answered, looking at her with a lopsided grin and Khushi forced herself to nod, and smile.

She had a faint idea of what he wanted to talk about.

"I would have liked that but I already have plans" she said and though Arnav did his best to not show it, Khushi noticed how his eyes dimmed.

"Okay. Some other time then" He said, finishing his coffee.

"I'll be in my cubicle" She said, and turned to leave.

"Khushi" He said and she stopped; her back towards him.

"Have you decided anything about..us?" His question had Khushi's heart stop for a second for it was so full of hope.

"I'll tell you tomorrow" She breathed without turning to look at him and walked out of his cabin.

As she reached back in her cubicle she opened her handbag and took out the papers Akash had given her.

"That went well" said Aman to Arnav as they rose from their tables at hotel Blue star.

"Hmm" said Arnav.

"I think Mr. Sahni's offer is legit. But I'll anyway send the documents to our lawyers for a thorough glancing" He continued, already going through his contact list in the phone.

"Hmm" said Arnav and Aman looked at him.

"I am thinking I should tame a lion and open my own circus. What do you say?" He said.

"Hmm" said Arnav, and then blinked.

"Are you serious?" He said then, scowling.

"At least that got your attention" Aman said, looking at his boss with a disapproving look.

"Is there any point to this conversation, Aman, or are you just talking to piss me off" Arnav said, sending that disapproving look right back.

"The point is that you're distracted" Aman said.

"I am not" Arnav replied, looking away.

"Is this about Khushi?" Aman asked, as they reached in the lobby of the Hotel.

Arnav stopped walking, put his hands in the pockets of his trousers and looked at his friend.

"Is it that obvious?"

"To me it is" Aman replied.

"I am thinking about what I asked Khushi. One minute I feel sure that she likes me too, but the other minutes it's like there a wall between us. And, I am trying to be patient, to give her space, and time, but I don't think I'll be able to take it if she says no" Arnav said, and looked at Aman who seemed to be surprised.

"Man! I knew you liked her from the very first day, but I had no idea it had gotten so far. Looks like you didn't pay attention to my advice at all. I don't know what to say. I guess, maybe you should wait it out. Let her figure out things on her end. And if she says no, you know I'll gladly take you to a bar and let you drink until you pass out" Aman said, placing a hand on Arnav's shoulder.

"You are right, Aman. You really do NOT know what to say" Arnav rolled his eyes and resumed walking.

"If it's any consolation, I think she wouldn't say no. I have seen the way she looks at you, man" Aman said, following after him.

Akash looked at his watch. It was 4:30 p.m. already. He switched on his laptop and stared at the folder named "P Gupta".

Then he produced a pen drive from his pocket and inserted it into the laptop.

By the time Arnav reached back to the office, he remembered that this morning he had asked Akash to come by the office. Maybe it was a good thing that Khushi had plans today. He can spend his evening talking to Akash.

So, he sat back in his chair and looked at the pile of files that had gathered on his table in the little time that he was gone.

He grabbed the one on top and started reading it. By the time he was done with the second file, he heard a knock at the door and looked up to find Khushi coming in with another set of files.

"More files?"

"Yes. These are the deals and the contracts that we have already finalized. The paperwork needs to be cleared in order to get things moving" Khushi said, as she forced herself to look into his eyes.

Trust. That's what she could see in them. Trust and more!

"Well let's get them out of the way then" Arnav said, as she placed the files in front of him.

"So, what are your plans?" Arnav asked, as he started signing off the pages one by one, throwing cursory glances at them.

"Family night! It's been a long time since we have had one" Khushi said, not wanting to lie to him more than she already was.

She had decided she'll sit with her family after meeting with Akash tonight. Talk to them about all of this once she gets those pictures and videos from Akash. It will be a big relief. And then she could tell Arnav. Apologize to him for all that she has done and was about to do. She did not expect him to understand or forgive her. But she had to tell him her part of the story. She owed that much to him.

"I hope you have fun" Arnav said as he signed more papers and Khushi's could feel her palms sweating. She clutched them at her sides.

"I am sorry for keeping you waiting, Arnav" She said, making Arnav look at her for a second and his eyes softened. He understood what she was talking about.

"It's a big decision, Khushi. Take all the time you need" He said and the understanding in his voice had guilt pooling into her, making her eyes moist. She quickly blinked back the tears.

"Only few more to go! In the meantime I'll tell you a secret. I' seriously don't like this part of being a businessman. So many files and documents to sign that sometimes it makes me feel like a high school teacher" Arnav said with a chuckle and just hearing the sound of that simple, hearty laugh made Khushi's heart split in two. It would be a sin to wrong him, to deceive him.

But do you have any other option? Khushi desperately asked herself.

Arnav watched as Khushi exited from his office room with a weak smile and slumped shoulders, holding the signed files in her hands. She had looked very torn and upset instead of doing her best to not show it to him. But Arnav had read it in her eyes that something was bothering her. Could it be something related to her family? She did say she hadn't had a family sitting in a long time. But Arnav didn't get much time to think over it as his cell phone beeped.

"Something important has come up, Bhai.

Cannot come today!

See you at home.

Akash"

The message read. Arnav shook his head and looked up one more time to see Khushi fidgeting in her cubicle. He decided he will deal with Akash at home.

Putting away his phone, he walked towards where Khushi was. He found her just ready to leave.

"Khushi! Turns out that I am free for the evening! So, I'll drop you home" He said, standing in the doorway and if possible Khushi's face fell further. It had Arnav's heart clench painfully for a second. Was he being too pushy?

"No, no. It is okay. You don't have to, Arnav. I will take a taxi. Besides, travelling by myself helps me sort out my thoughts" She replied and Arnav told himself that it was because she is upset over something.

Besides, he had agreed to give her time. And space, if she needs it.

"Okay then" He said in a light voice as Khushi picked up her bag and moved towards the door, to where he was standing.

"I'll see you tomorrow" He said, and even though he tried not to, he leaned in and Khushi stilled, her eyes looking into his.

"I know your heart, Khushi. I hope you know it too" He said and as she blinked, he brushed his lips against her cheek. She shivered and so did his heart. He was sure he was a goner in that moment. No matter what she decides about their relationship, Arnav realized that it will not change what he felt for her. He looked at the colour that had rushed into her face and her eyes that were looking everywhere but at him.

"Bye" She finally said, stepping away and out of the doorway.

"Bye" Arnav smiled at her shaky legs as she hurried away.

Khushi could still feel his lips on her cheek, her skin still sizzling where his lips had been mere seconds ago. She forced her heartbeats to calm down as she exited from the building, clutching her bag closer to her.

"The Coffee Junction?" Her legs froze to a halt as a car stopped right in front of her and Akash's head popped out from the window.

What the hell was he doing here? She thought as colour drained from her face. Her heartbeats started racing again but for all the wrong reasons.

"What? Not happy to see me, Khushi?" His leering smile had Khushi's blood heating in a moment.

"I told you to come at the Coffee shop" she said through her teeth while looking here and there nervously.

"I thought I should give you a lift considering you're about to deliver me the good news" Akash said and much to Khushi's horror, he got out of the car and walked to her.

"I am not coming with you. I am taking a taxi. So, leave and meet me there" Khushi replied sharply.

"Now come on, Khushi! Don't create a scene. If you do not get inside on your own, I'll just have to help you get inside" Akash said as he took another smiling step towards her and Khushi once again looked around.

There was no taxi in sight to where she could run to. And that would surely create a scene. She couldn't even wait around for long lest Arnav might be coming down as well. She realized Akash had her cornered.

She released a breath and shot her angry eyes at the smug face of Akash.

"One day, I am going to claw that smile off your face" Khushi moved towards him and delivered the words to him with a calm face. Akash only laughed as he quickly reached to the passenger's side, opening the door for her.

"No, you won't" He said to her before she got into the seat and then closed the door after her.

Then he sauntered back to the driver's seat, got in and drove away.

Arnav, all this while, stood with a blank face at the windows of his cabin, witnessing everything with a roaring silence that spread around and within him.

Please buddy my PM Account for the updates of this story.

Edited by Pearl_Oyster - 7 years ago
shils28 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Oh My God!
This is a disaster.

Brilliant chapter!
sspoorthy thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Oh my god
Will arnav mu khushi
Can khushi give those papers to akash
Waiting for you to update next part
friends_4dream thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Plzzz plzzz plzz dont make arnav do the same mistake as he did in the show. He has brains common let him use it , put his men on work to take out info..plzz atleast show him using his brains here.
laavanya4u thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Oh my my!!
What a hint to Arnav!!.
Arnav had found out that something bothering Khushi, Akash changing girlfriends like tissue papers but somewhat retained his status with payal, Akashs sudden message of being busy but had come to AR to pick up Khushi.
God let his Harvard brain connect the dots soon and make him to rush behind Akash soonn!!
sweta_b thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Thanks for the pm.
I knew it arnav will see Khushi with Akashi I hope he doesn't misunderstand her. Waiting for the next part
anjs thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Khushi is doing a really wrong thing...to save stupid payal, she is gonna snatch everything from Arnav and hand it over to Akash. I cant believe that she is naive enough to think that Akash will let Payal go easily then or he will accept her as his wife.

Arnav saw her going with him, m sure he will think she is Akash's newest catch. And honestly she deserves it.

eager to see what happens now, at this moment i dont care for pathetic spineless Payal and neither do i care for Khushi's ghar ki izzat. I just hope she manages to not give those papers to Akash.
AparnaChinnu thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
awesome 
I really hope that arnav dnt misunderstand khushi 
cute_monaya_fan thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
I simply hollow nothing untoward happens... Hope that arnav is able to find out the truth soon