Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

LadyMcbeth thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago
In continuing with the debate ...

There is a merciless competitive world outside that sometimes leave parents with no choice. Parents are not perfect either. They are human beings who struggle between doing the right thing for their kids and crossing the line. If they don't motivate and teach them the value of effort, kids may give up and become complacent. Kids are smart. They almost always choose the path of least resistance. There are very few kids who are driven by their own ambitions to rise above the mediocrity and make a difference. Not all kids are born prodigies or geniuses. Ours is a culture that emphasizes a strong connection between effort and achievement. Our culture values persistence, discipline, and motivation.

That is not, however, to say that parents saddle their ambitions on their kids. There is a fine line between motivating and pressurizing...At the end of the day, each parent knows their own child's talents, skills, and abilities. Being a guide in a way that teaches your child the importance of a journey, is more important than any medals, accolades etc., won at the end of your destination. 
shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
I respect your view. There is a world of difference between motivating and pressurizing. Someone who is not good at engineering or medicine is forced to take that. They struggle with multiple back papers and at some point give up. 
I talked here about Meghnadh, who is exemplary , in this post I have only considered kids like him who are talented, who works hard but wither under the burden of expectations. 

This post does not take into account complacent kids and it is not a debate, it is just a perspective of my own experience dealing with that burden. 
Edited by shruthiravi - 7 years ago
aanvi98 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
I know how these burden feels. And pain which pricks at failure is hit more by the taunts. I wonts say parents are wrong but sometimes there are places you cant simply say ur wishes. And almost all face such situations in life i think. So dont bother, and some drowns in the taunts.
aanvi98 thumbnail
@LadyMcbeth i wont say ur wrong. But there is a huge difference in imposing and motivating. Motivation needs belief and when u dont have belief u impose. Everyone is genius in their owns ways. All cant be scholer while all cant be warrior. If we judge a fish by ability of climbing tree, it would definitely die. If we want to motivate, encourage them. Taunting, retreating and expecting only discourage their talents. And most of the talent dies due to expectations. If all run behind the made path,who will make new paths? Thats why children needs time to explore their real hiddem talent, and expectations are really not a good idea for it.
shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
@aanvi competition happens because everyone wants the same field, same college, same job. And you need to know in every field there are passionate people who had taken that field as their own choice. 
And the kids which are asked to go to the field where they have no interest it is like asking Sachin Tendulkar to compose music and AR Rahman to play cricket. Imagine what if their parents had done that because they felt their child should be doing this.
aanvi98 thumbnail
@sruthi lol ur right. And i think this expectations only killed meghnad.
moonwearer thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3
Competitions kill the joy of involved participation. Today we find that we are foisting this on kids at a very young age. It is one thing asking Sachin to sing or Rehaman to play cricket but another to expect a child to be Sachin Rehman Kalam Aamir Khan and a bill gates all at the same time. The poor child, voice is muffled and we find that many are reconciled to their fate. I operate in a space where I get to work with young kids and young adults. Parents tend to transform their unfulfilled aspirations as a to do list for their kids. The child's attitude and aptitude is relegated to the back seat.there seems to be a race in parenting and the extent to which you can post your child to stretch is the yard stick that measures success. Sometimes this alienates the child to such an extent that clamming up accepting clipping of your wings seems to be all that is left for the child or young person. Edited by moonwearer - 7 years ago