Judges Thread for Debate Contest

cool_pooja thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

The debate round 1 between JK Rowling's team and Dan Brown Team is over and now it is time to give marks to our participants.

The Participants were as follows:

JK Rowling:

missy6892

~Sirius*Ysh~

~*Thamizhan*~

xMarauderx

Dan Brown:

Diyafah

madsoul0226

jasunap

Dark Love

The Judges are as follows:

Minali, Yuks, Shailee and KripAngad-Kyph

Here is a link to the Debate Contest Round 1 for the Judges to go through:

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/707787

The Guidlines for the Debate Contest, the rules and the marking criteria are as follows:

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/704049

Judges please go through both the threads and post ur marks for the participants here.

No one else is allowed to post in this thread please. We will make a seprate post for all of you to post your comments and see the results.

Book Talk Dev. Team

Edited by cool_pooja - 16 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

cool_pooja thumbnail
Some of the points i noted from the debate... Im just giving dem so that judges can just examine them further..

Against Dan Brown's team

Dan Brown's team has been favouring JKR so will they get points taken off of them for this because it is a debate and you have to do your best to prove your point.

Against JKR Team:

No proper opening statment. Team member started it by saying lets rock it. I love these both authors.

~Sirius*Ysh~ Wrote as the 1st post for the team:

cool its started... will take part ... well eya considering im on the team... well actually this is gonna be one strong debate! JKR vs Dan! my 2 role models.... ok lets rock it!!!
jasunap thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

*Viewbie's note: No comments are allowed in the judges thread.*

Edited by cool_pooja - 16 years ago
cool_pooja thumbnail
The judges have now been changed for the Debate contest. Some of the old ones remain, however new ones have been added. They will be posting thier marks soon. 😊

Once again, i aplogise for the delay. 😊
MNMS thumbnail

Thank you very much Pooja for inviting me. 😊 Its an honour.

No properly constructed opening statements from diyafah, Dark Love and ~Sirius*Ysh~. Either every contestant should give a proper opening statement or the team should give a collective opening statement. This also shows lack of team management from both sides. Contestants should have taken into account that this is not an introduction session. We need to have your proper opening statements, arguments, rebuttals and analysis..not your favourite books and personal interests!

It is always the best in ethics to avoid sarcastic remarks in a debate. I also noticed that some contestants lacked eloquent debating skills. It is recommended not to involve personal preferences saying "I like XYZ but I am debating for ABC for the sake of debate". It is NOT a valid argument!

I felt that the debate from Dan Brown team was restricted to only "The Da Vinci Code". You are debating on Dan Brown and not on the content of "The Da Vinci Code". Yes, I admit that this was his most successful book [which made him influential and wealthyπŸ˜‰ ] but merely mentioning the names of "Deception Point" "Digital fortress" and "Angels and Demons" is not enough. If you are emphasizing on "The Da Vinci Code" then equal space and analysis should be given to his other works.

Plus its not a debate on whether Dan Brown's theories are true or the Harry Potter magic is good or not. Its about 2 different authors. Its about their writing styles and techniques. I felt the debate heavily deviated from its main content which was disappointing!

I give

Joanne K. Rowling team: 7 points.

Dan Brown team: 6 points.

PS:  About Cryptex. Just for fun! If you freeze the cryptex's vinegar and then break it, the papyrus won't get destroyed! πŸ˜‰

Edited by MNMS - 16 years ago

To Organizers: Before posting my judgement on the arguments, I would like to thank cool_pooja for organizing and inviting me as judge here.

To Debaters: Thanks to all debaters for taking part in this Debate championship. Your thoughts and participation is much appreciated. I know it is easy to pass judgment than actual debating but please take my judgment in right spirit.

My Views

Dan Brown team: No proper opening statement instead there was unnecessary mention of why one joined the team and such. That is not a good sign of debating esp. in a contest. Most of the discussion centered around 'The Da Vinci Code' and other works of Author got ignored. Still liked the forceful debating and enthusiasm. Sarcasm should be avoided.

JK Rowling team: No proper opening statement here either. No forceful debating because in a contest we don't say that you prefer opponent's subject but debating just for the sake of it😊. Still some points were presented very well and good rebuttals which is a highlight of any debate contest.

My Verdict

Best Debater: missy6892 for articulate points.πŸ‘πŸ‘

Runner Up:  It is a tie between madsoul0226 and jasunap. madsoul0226 for good opening statement and strong points but please avoid sarcasm in future. jasunap for good rebuttals.

Winning Team: JK Rowling team

Pensive thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Hello dears

According to the rules, I have to give my verdict on the winning team.Before I do that, let me put forth some of the observations that I made. Please do take this in the right spirit😳... its just my opinion, so you are free to disagree with me: πŸ˜›

Dan Brown Team: No proper opening statement..Debate only revolves around The Da Vinci Code.One should remember though the most famous one it is not the only work of author .Only mentioning the names of "Deception Point" "Digital fortress" and "Angels and Demons" is not enough.

J.K Rowling Team: No proper opening statement here either.Come on guys a good debate can not be started  by saying lets rock it...or by I love that  author but debating here because that team is full.

But some well articulate argument is made by both the team..and also some good rebuttal is there which made it very interesting to read

Winning Team : A TieπŸ‘πŸ‘