Sakshi Tanwar: I will think about joining politics

peeyara thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
As the host of Code Red, which highlights issues pervading the society, Sakshi Tanwar is urging people to listen to their inner voice that gets suppressed in the din of daily life these days.

We spoke to the Bade Achhe Laggte Hain star about how her DU college days and Delhi upbringing has made her a strong and responsible citizen and whether she is looking for a future in politics.

I've been taught to stand up against injustice

I wouldn't call myself an activist but rather just a responsible citizen. LSR (Lady Shri Ram College, her alma mater) has helped me shape my personality to a large extent. I would also attribute this to my family and upbringing. My father is from a police background and my mother has always taught me to speak up and raise my voice against anything wrong being done.
I've grown up in Delhi, where eve-teasing is quite frequent everywhere, be it while travelling in DTC buses or on your way home from college. Papa would always say, 'Ro kar mat aana ghar.' My siblings too have had the same upbringing. We have always been told to fight back, raise our voice and not feel scared. Dilli jaise shehar mein toh you have to be strong. There was once an incident where didi and I were eve-teased on a bus and we took the entire bus to the police station. This is what I have been taught by my family and in college. I am glad that today, because of whatever celebrity status has been given to me, though I don't take it seriously, I will accept that there is a lot of credibility attached to my name and because of that, there is also a huge responsibility. As a public figure, I can utilize that credibility for a good cause to spread awareness about issues and talk to people. If I am able to do that, it's worth the effort.
Code Red is not a crime show

Code Red will be presenting three individual shows - Umeed, which will deal with suicide cases, Awaaz, dealing with violence against women and children, and Chakravyuh, which is about people trapped in troubles of life. We will be talking about finding solutions to each of these. I have hosted another show in the past, but Code Red is not about crime. It's a show which will dwell in the minds of the people. It's more about what leads to the crime and what happens afterwards. The show is also about hope and your inner conscience. I will be voicing the inner conscience of the characters in the story. It's more of a solution-driven show where we are just not talking about the problems but also providing solutions. There are various helplines and we will be sharing their numbers with the viewers. For instance, there are so many suicide cases in our country. I was told about this suicide helpline that receives 2,000 call daily. There is so much depression and frustration. There is lack of tolerance and we want instant results. There is so much change that is happening which is taking a toll on our health. It's time to solve those problems.
I wasn't roped in for Itna Karo Na Mujhe Pyaar

For 14 years I have been working in fictional shows. As an actor, you always want to explore new things, which holds true for me as well. Bade Achhe Laggte Hain ended just six months ago. I wasn't roped in for Itna Karo Na Mujhe Pyaar. It's not important who was offered the role but who is doing it now is what matters more. Pallavi (Kulkarni, the female lead on the show) is playing it now. So, why talk about something that is not happening?

I will think about joining politics

I will think about it. I will cross the bridge when I need to. Right now, I am happy doing what I am doing.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

bishop22 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
Thanks for sharing the article. 
Sakshi's answers are clear cut and I love that about her.