Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

cineraria thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 9 years ago
Jaggery gives it a nice Khatta-Meetha tinge. That's how we make Kaddu in UP. πŸ˜ƒ
amus5 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: shree10

call it typo - call it ishtyle but never make it to be a guy 
like khushi's " hum" main kabhi bhi meri nayi keh payee - hamesha mera hi  kaha hai  πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ 

meri naam amu hai (aapki shabdo mein πŸ˜‰) 

shree10 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: amus5

Amu, thanks for clarification. My little girl started following her elder cousin (who is a boy) and it wa s"Main Khaunga., Jaunga, Khelunga for a long time. So I also used to speak like that and then later on she started correcting me! πŸ˜† Mamma aap girl ho aise nahi bolte!

shree10 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: cineraria

Dear TR, Ty so much. 

Yes, one mystery MAN down, one remains. πŸ˜‰ 

Hope that is NOT SHIT-ALL. I ahted that track. I am heavily counting on MAN above!

amus5 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Hope that is NOT SHIT-ALL. I ahted that track. I am heavily counting on MAN above!

well i'm guessing that other mystery MAN is Aman Mathur πŸ˜²
cineraria thumbnail

Originally posted by: amus5

well i'm guessing that other mystery MAN is Aman Mathur πŸ˜²

Well yes, very well. The other Man is Aman Mathur. Aman and Roy are ASR's right hand and henchman respectively. And they were mystery men because they were always on the other side of the phone. We never got to see them in the show. πŸ˜‰

Also bhaiyya, hated that Shit-All track with gusto. 
Edited by cineraria - 9 years ago
cineraria thumbnail

Aye haye interesting convo here. Even I deliberately misplaced pronouns for long. Like till I was in 7th standard. Man I was one hell of a Tomboy. The kind who worship Arnold Schwardznegar and implore others to address them by some male derivative of their name. In my case Ayushman. πŸ˜† 
My mom used to be mad at me. Thank god it's over now. 

cineraria thumbnail

Originally posted by: tomriddle

beet gayi raat

here comes morning morning.

naya chapter nahi aaya

i am mourning mourning.  πŸ˜­πŸ˜­ 

go and right new chapters very fasht fasht. πŸ˜³

Arre Behen, don't mourn.

I am editing the chapter. πŸ˜³
prpk525 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Still editing? Yaar A kal se khayali pulav ka recipe de rahi ho tum..
cineraria thumbnail

Hola! I am back people. This thread is my alternate universe, you all have made my life so so beautiful. It sends my heart into an ecstatic frenzy when you guys look forward for updates. I'll try my level best to be as regular as possible. 

The comments are so much fun, oh the leg pulling and all. My mom is now seriously concerned about my mental health. I am seen grinning foolishly all the time staring at my computer screen. God, you people rock my world. I lau u all damnit.

Chapter 33 - From Lucknow With Love

"No way, never in this poor life." she declared with a mighty shake of her head. "My potato life will not chew bitter guard again. My jalebi will not have a diabetic version."

"Don't make jalebis then."

"That's not happening."

"Swallow the overdose of pride Khushi, this is our only chance." Payal persuaded her sister holding her hand in hers.

"I have two legs, two hands, two eyes, two ears, one mouth, one nose, one stomach..."

"Cut that."                                    

"WHAT?" her eyes fell out of their sockets. "You want me to cut my stomach?"

"I want you to cut the bullshit." said Payal getting impatient.

"What I mean is, this cannot be our last chance, not till I am breathing fine."

"You aren't, right now anyway. Listen Khushi, we have been going places since two days. Begging and pleading in front of shop owners to taste our samples and all we have earned is 'we have our cooks', 'we don't need anyone', 'please excuse' and even blank stares. It was you who suggested this place, I told you it was out of our means but you were adamant. And now by Devi Maiyya's grace we even got lucky. We cannot step back Khushi not now." she tried to reason.

"Why not, we haven't signed a contract with them yet." she hissed and turned to the manager. "We are sorry sir but we are not willing to take this contract." she told him.

"No Sir we are willing. Please ignore what my sister says."

"Jiji."

"Shut up."

"Hey Devi Maiyya."

"Khushi remember we have to help Babuji and Buaji too. They now depend on you, us." said Payal softly.

Khushi shifted uncomfortably on her feet. "You are good at emotional atyachar(blackmail) jiji." she sighed.

Musings of Khushi Kumari Gupta

I had sworn by potato to never see Laad Governor's constipated face again, Devi Maiyya, you know how firm my potato resolves are. It should not have changed at any cost, but you Devi Maiyya you really enjoy messing with my life, you love playing games with me all the time, when I had warned you, DO NOT. People don't take me seriously, even you don't take me seriously, and hell even readers don't take my character seriously. Why what's wrong with me? What's wrong with my prayers? How could you put me in the same spot again?

Today was a bright Sunday morning, and bright means hot. Jiji and I took phone numbers and addresses, then we visited shops plastering the silliest fake smiles, I even made a couple of jingles to advertise but you know I am a bad singer, remember how the priest in Lucknow used to shrink his nose whenever I wanted to sing your 'Arti'. So yeah, where was I? Selling, yes. And stout, plump and fat uncles sat on counters. Their bellies looked as if they could hold all the items on display inside them at once. But I stopped myself from telling this to them. All we asked was very politely to taste our sweets, give us one chance, we'd provide them with best Lucknavi sweets. What did fatty uncles say? They said No Vacancy. EN-O No. Soon we had struck off all names. Then this last one remained. From Lucknow With Love, it is a renowned sweet mart in Delhi, you know situated in a wealthy locality, a Hollywood movie inspired name, a stylish exterior and a very un-fatty uncle behind a wooden counter. He looked at us, yawned, heard our first sentence, shook his head and said "No salesgirls please."

Jiji gave me that 'I told you so' look and how much I hate it when she does that. I was not about to back off yet, I said one hundred and forty three 'pleases' and finally un-fatty uncle tasted a Barfi. He even ummed, I wasn't surprised, why be unnecessarily boringly, faking modest when I know I cook well? But what did he say, "We'll see. Not now. We have a specialized cook and he is in popular demand, but I will let you know if we have something for you." We gave him our phone number and were about to leave when his phone rang and we heard his side of the conversation... "What do you mean by he's sick? Like he's really sick? Oh no, oh shit, oh crap. Like that sick? Like why is he so sick now? What will we do now? We can't lose this contract Bhaiyya, it's precious and prestigious.

Oh. Okay. But you sure nothing can be done? Fine Bye."

And just like they say every dog has a day, the specialized cook dog had a sick day and Gupta sister's dog had a lucky day. Of all the small local sweetmeat shops, we got entry passes to this grand From Lucknow With Love. "Look Miss, From Lucknow With Love had a grand affair. We were supposed to deliver Lucknavi sweets to a big party and a Lucknow style catering. The gathering is 200 plus, can you sisters deliver?"

I nodded my head with all my might. Jiji's enthusiasm was twenty percent less. "Where and when are supposed to deliver?" I asked.

"When will you pay us the advance?" Smart Jiji asked.

"Tomorrow, 8:00 p.m, Raizada Mansion, Vasant Vihaar. This is your first order, I cannot fully trust you, there will be no advance, full payment will be made after satisfactory services." he said, no he dropped the nuclear bomb. It exploded in my head, shattered my spirit, yanked and slammed my optimism and dumped it in Yamuna. And you know what happened next. I could never agree but in the battle between a little pride and necessity, practicality must prevail. No matter how much I dread this, but I may have to meet him again. And I hate the way my heart flutters at the thought. If life was like a television soap, I would have got a plastic surgery done, would have become unrecognizable even by Devi Maiyya, forget Laad Governor or better still Laad Governor might have his head gotten hit with something and suffered a memory loss. But life is neither that easy nor that complicated, it's just strange. Full of coincidences and in my case more than usual because Devi Maiyya loves to play her games. But my jalebi would still never have a diabetic version. Got it? 

^^^^

"Buaji, I am sorry, but I am stuck here in work and it's taking too long, but don't worry I will make sure I bring Shashi Uncle and Garima Aunty with me."

"May you be forever successful in all your endeavors Siyam Babua, we are all missing you terribly here in Delhi. Madhumati turned her head to check if anybody was listening, seeing no one she added with her own accord, "especially Khusee." She smiled satisfied when she heard Shyam draw a deep breath on the other side of the phone. She mentally patted her back. After all match making was her forte, she loved doing it.

"Same here Buaji, I too am missing you all badly here, after all in so many years I never had the comfort and peace that comes with being in a family. I mean you, Khushiji and Payalji are like my family." Shaym honey tongued. After all that was his forte.

"Oh we are Babua, you are very dear to us."

"Okay Buaji I must go back to work now."

"Achha Nandkissore, take care." saying that Madhumati hung up. "Let Sasi babua and Garima come, I'll convince them of this proposal." She said to herself with determination. 

^^^^

"You never told me you had a Buaji?" Shyam snapped his head hurriedly in the voice's direction afraid of being caught. "W...what Buaji?" he stammered.

Anjali grinned, "Why I heard you saying bye Buaji to someone over phone."

"Is that all you heard?" he couldn't help but ask.

"Why was there more to be heard?" she sniggered.

"No Rani Sahiba, uh-well she is my friend's Buaji. I told you I have some work in Lucknow, didn't I? Well it was her pension case. But I had to postpone it for our Anniversary you see. That's what I was telling her along with of course that how much I miss her. I used to stay at her place in Lucknow with my friend. Old days you know."

"Oh, I see." said Anjali somberly, feeling sad for an old woman with a pension problem who meant something to her husband. She placed her palm in his, "I hope you are able to solve her problems soon."

Shyam nodded and gave her palm a gentle squeeze. Anjali smiled coyly. Shyam smiled, his wife Anjali Raizada Jha was such a blind believer of the tales he spun in minutes. She never tried to prod further, she was averse to doubt, truth being she was too scared to lose those she held dear.

The gold bangles mortgaged for ruppees ten thousand were a sign of Madhumati Gupta's magnanimity or her necessity or quite ironically both. Payal got a day off from the showroom after earning from her employer, the most reluctant "Leave granted" possible. Khushi got up at 4 in the morning, making fifteen different varieties of sweets for a gathering of about 200 was the biggest challenge she had ever taken, made further onerous owing to the Raizada tag associated with the contract and all added taxes and bitter pills that came with the package called ASR. She prayed for the hundredth time, let her not see him there before beginning her day.

^^^^

The setting sun sprayed its pinkish-golden colors on the high tower of Shantivan. Khushi and Payal with two helpers stood at the entrance taking in its resplendent beauty. Dressed in a red Anarkali and Churidar Khushi looked every bit of the name she had earned during her tenure at AR - 'Glitters', her hair was as usual tied in a braid thrown over her left shoulder. Payal was dressed in a plain mauve Salwar Kammez, her hair tied in a high pony tail- her usual. Khushi fidgeted with the large carton in her hand still contemplating whether getting in was a good idea, Payal nudged her with her elbow, and "Cheer up, your ex-boss is not the only person in this house."

"Oh yes, we should not forget there is a zombie Mami too to beware of." Khushi added sarcastically.

The celebrations were yet to begin, as the sisters looked around they saw about four men dressed in white shirts and black trousers bustling about making last minute preparations. Khushi recognized the familiar expression on those unfamiliar faces, the one suggesting a curious mix of skillfulness and trepidation. She sighed, performance under a sword of anxiety was the general trend in people who worked for ASR. The oldest servant of the house guided them inside, towards a kitchen that could easily house a family of ten. Wary of her surroundings, Khushi covered the length of the entire hall and a large dining space to reach the kitchen taking hasty brisk steps. Never embarrassed of her bearings, but today she did not wish to be seen. What she did not realize was the trail she left behind, it wasn't any smell for she never wore perfume, it was just a jingling sound of her presence that served as a bewitching sillage to whom it mattered.

Arnav Singh Raizada had a peculiar way of talking, it wasn't like he'd go screaming his head off at the drop of a hat, he was barely ever louder than what politeness called for, however he could make people hear even his whispering loud and clear. This evening however, he felt this ability to slip away for a moment when in middle of a phone call, he fumbled his words inconspicuously and then hung up immediately. He looked around mentally rebuking himself to have felt something so silly, as if she were here a moment ago. How could she be? She was in Lucknow, wasn't she? Yet the air spoke a different language. Air? Enough Raizada! scolded his mind.

The old servant scratched his chalky, flowing beard, "What could be more suitable..." he wondered looking at the sweets, "they smell great and hopefully should taste too. We have large silver platters kept in the storeroom. Go straight from here, take right, the last room from here in the corridor with brass plated door is the store. Will you be fine or should I send someone to bring them?" he asked.

"No I guess we can manage." Khushi replied smiling.

"Should I?" asked Payal.

"No jiji, I didn't see him here, he is probably out. I'll go and get them." Khushi assured and left the kitchen.

Payal placed the cartons carefully over the slab. Diligently picking up the smaller boxes and laying out the freshly prepared sweets. "Payal?" she heard a dreamy voice call out her name in subtly concealed surprise. She felt the tiny hair of her nape rise in response. She suppressed her smile that smoothly changed into a blush creeping up her cheeks. She shook her head not turning to face him, how could she let Akash know how the mere mention of her name from his mouth made a thousand butterflies flutter in her stomach? Why, she did not understand, she barely knew him yet every time in his presence she felt inexplicably shy and ridiculously hypersensitive juxtaposed. Fine, Akash had his charms but she wasn't the kind of woman to easily fall for them. She was too cynical about charming men for her own good. Especially when they were being friendly. She hadn't forgotten the last encounter with him in the showroom, the way he was giving her so much importance for no apparent reason, she couldn't deny she was way too flattered with his gentle mannerisms. Nor had she forgotten the looks she got from her colleagues and she hated it. When she did not turn, Akash continued to move in her direction making her nauseous with nervous excitement. Putting her best serious act she turned before it was too late and said a very formal, "Hello Akash." Akash was visibly taken aback, Payal instantly regretted her action. She smiled wanly and the next moment all her resolve broke. Dressed in a black shirt and royal blue tuxedo, Akash looked stunning. Handsome, she had always found him but in a rather boyish way. Tonight he was different, a man who made her conscious of the woman in her.

"How did I get lucky enough to see you today in my house?" he asked huskily, Payal's admiring gaze wasn't missed by him. He gave her a flirtatious smile, thankful to his mother for successfully blackmailing him into ditching casuals for the evening. Payal came back to her senses. Oh god did he just catch me leering at him?

"Oh, I, Khushi and Buaji, we just started our own little business of sweets. As luck would have it we got our first contract yesterday and that too for the great Raizadas. I must say, I am nervous." she added freely not feeling her introversion any more, she blamed it on Akash. 

"That's great news, isn't it Akash?" Came an excited voice from behind the door. The two heads whipped around at once to catch Anjali smile at Payal and then wink at her brother. Akash wanted a lollypop, this very moment. Anjali walked to where they were standing, "do you mind?" she asked Payal eyeing the sweets.

"Sure please and a very very happy marriage anniversary."

Anjali sniffed dramatically, "Man, I feel like I am back at some odd street in Lucknow gorging over jalebis."

"Why don't you try?" insisted Payal.

Anjali bit into a barfi, "Heaven." she exclaimed. "Wow you two sisters are geniuses. My husband is mad about sweets, he'll surely love them. I guess I should appoint you two permanently for this job."

Payal grinned from ear to ear, Akash was stumped. "You should smile like that more often Payal, you look beautiful." he blurted, surprising himself. She felt heat reaching her cheeks dampening her smile, she stared at him blankly not knowing how to react. It was the first time somebody had complemented her like that and that too Akash, the man she was... she halted her thoughts there.

Sometimes silence is golden, neither spoke but each drinking in the other's sight. The silent exchanges between the two weren't missed by Anjali, she smiled leaving the two alone. They did not even notice her leaving, nor did they notice a pair of dismissive eyes watching them from the door.

"Oops Mami, sorry." Anjali mumbled an apology as she walked into her Aunt absently. "What are you doing here Anjali, you must get ready for the party, your husband has been looking for you, you should be with him." she said sharply and then added glaring in Akash's direction, "And you Akash, don't you have anything better than hanging around with a substandard petty cook." Manorma grunted spitefully.

Akash flinched at the sound and faced his mother, "Mom..." he warned looking clearly hurt. He looked at Payal, who had turned her face away from him, pretending to be busy with something.

"Get out of here right now."

"Mom, I'll join you in a minute."

"Right now means right now Akash." she thundered.

"Mom Payal is not..."

"Stop. Akash." she said raising her hand dismissively. "Come with me, I want you to see someone."  Akash glanced apologetically in Payal's direction for the last time. Sighing he left.

"Welcome to the labyrinth, now find your way out kiddo..." she grumbled after five futile minutes of search for whatever door in Devi Maiyya knew which direction.

"This place needs sign boards. Period." Just as she was about to leave, the mighty made his appearance, err, made himself heard. Perhaps lashing out at some poor lesser mortal? Of course. Perhaps speaking about firing him or some other inflictable misery, assuredly reinstating perfect Orwellian standards of living? Her confused stroll broke into a random jog with consternation once again her sticky companion. The sound of brisk and approaching footsteps turned the jog into a frantic sprint in any which direction. She ran straight up the stairs, going wherever the path took her, saw a translucent glass door fixed in a rich wooden frame, without second thoughts she took refuge inside.

"Wow." she exclaimed her eyes widening as she looked around the spacious room. Flawless jade colored walls and plush falling grey draperies over French windows, a large king sized bed occupied its center with sheets of a grey-black color. On the wall to her right was an array of elaborately framed pictures in bizarre dim contrasting hues, one of a bridge in daylight another of an ancient looking engine choking up on its own smoke, one of a grotesque looking creature. She found the adornments to be weirdly captivating as if they said something about their owner but then she remembered she was here for a reason and this was a foreign territory. As soon as that another unwelcome feeling nagged her, she turned towards the door abruptly, fearing the worst. Opening a slit she found him walking in her direction. Consternation metamorphosed to cold sweat. She dashed towards the French windows, drew apart a curtain to see a familiar pool and garden, face palming she remembered being in that part of the room before when she had come to deliver those typed reports. Desperately searching for someplace to hide, she first crouched behind a recliner and then scuttled towards the walk-in closet.

The low ringtone of Arnav's phone alarmed her as he made his way to the door. She opened the frosted glass door to his closet hurriedly and found herself in a small square room where only light was the diffused one filtering through frosted glass of its door. She moved inwards frazzled, sticking her back to the rear wall and hid amidst an assortment of suits, tuxedos, shirts hung over hangers, trousers, ties, having separate shelves, shoes and other accessories that perked up his vanity. She could not care to notice the sundry shades of black that surrounded her, at her best she would have referred to his taste in clothes as monotonous but at this moment she couldn't think just about anything. Nor could she decide was it the fear of being caught or the strong woody smell of masculine cologne that had put her in a daze?

The tiny bruises caused to his bearings a few minutes ago had healed faster than he had expected. Any residue of the sixth sense or intuition or whatever f**k that feeling was had been successfully shut up and he felt rather relaxed. Now all he was concerned about was to let his sister and brother-in-law have a great time together this evening. Today was special for it was a special day for his sister. The only one person on the planet, he honestly and genuinely cared for or so he thought. He closed the door behind him, took off his jacket, casually putting it over the recliner and undid his tie. The nasty phone rang again, he swore picking it up, inside the closet Khushi forgot to breathe as she found his silhouette inching closer to her hide out. She prayed, shifting inward, clutching one of the sleeves of his suit tightly. Unsuspecting, Arnav opened his closet and walked in, without switching on the light inside, his schooled hands reaching for the towel he had come to grab before leaving for a quick shower. Khushi stood still holding her breath, so busy he was explaining some tender related jargon to his caller that he didn't spare his closet much of a glance, instead kept looking to his right, getting his hands on the towel and just as casually he closed the door. Her breath came out in a whoosh, she thanked her stars, upon hearing a click sound but maybe it was too soon for that.

She counted till 60. Sensing no activity in the room she deduced he was gone, she gingerly stepped towards the door and was aghast the next moment, the wooden frame had no handle on the inside to slide it open. She plastered both her palms on the frame frantically trying to push it open towards her right but the blasted door wouldn't budge. She was instantly reminded of the store room fiasco in office. This wasn't some ordinary door, why would they provide a closet door with a knob inside? She remembered the click sound of a lock when Arnav had closed it. Khushi sank on the floor beneath. How the hell would she get out now? She pulled her hair, fiddled with her dopatta, tried the door once again till she heard the soft sound of another door opening.

Arnav came out of the shower in a black silken robe with belt tied loosely around his lower abdomen, patting his wet hair with the towel, he swiftly move towards his closet to fetch the suit for the evening. Still dripping he slid open the door and switched on the light.

His eyes widened, jaw slackened and the towel in his hand dropped on the floor with a plop. There she was Khushi Kumari Gupta with tall claims of leaving his city forever, without his knowledge, in his house, in his room, inside his closet, chewing his Kiton suit worth $50,000.

"What the f**k?" he gasped.    

She opened her right eye a wee bit hoping this to be a bad dream, but the persistent formidable glare cast upon her by the towering figure of ASR was too real for her liking. Her eyes roved down and a loud gasp escaped her mouth as they met with the scandalizing vision of his bare chest with perfectly toned abs through the wide open lapels of his robe. The belt holding the only garment on him was almost undone, she couldn't dare to take her eyes lower. He was a Greek God, her heightened senses screamed.

Not giving a tinker's damn to his partial undress, he took two long purposeful strides towards her and stopped barely two inches away. Khushi shut her eyes tight and looked away turning beetroot red.

"What are you doing here?" he rasped.

She felt she would faint anytime, unable to take the torture anymore, she leapt out with lightening speed to run past him. A million questions boggled his mind, his senses were rattled, his adrenaline level was on a record rise and on top of that she still wanted to run away! He captured her arms, whirling her around pushing her back into the wall behind.

She shook violently trying to wriggle out of his grip, leading him to jerk her further in, the action caused droplets of water from his still damp hair to fall over her face. His eyes followed a single drop taking the route from her forehead to side of her small nose to come down tantalizingly over her luscious lips. The sight unusually distracted him, his grip on her arms loosened.

Khushi seized the opportunity, freeing her hands and pushing him back with force she fled. The last thought on her mind being what if his robe had dropped? Thoroughly flabbergasted, he tried catching hold of her again and instead caught her dopatta which slipped out of his hands in a second and she was out. "Khushi." he yelled.

Her flying feet did not stop till she came to the last door on the farther end of the floor. She stopped to catch her breath and noticed the door to be open but view inside the room sealed with cream colored curtains with small delicate looking red floral designs. Inside Shyam Manohar Jha complimented his reflection in the mirror. The golden Sherwani that his wife had gifted him in the morning looked good, he too had brought her a simple yellow sari of cotton, she had taken it affectionately and placed it in her cupboard but he knew she would never wear it. He studied his fractured leg that was healing fast but he still had to use a walking stick. Khushi felt her breath hitch seeing the curtains being slowly drawn apart. The last thing she wanted was to shock another resident or put herself in yet another highly embarrassing situation. Although she did perceive the brief glimpse of a man's frame behind the curtain and against light to be vaguely familiar, it was beyond her in her perturbed state to put a finger. She launched herself to the staircase before she could see the man or he could see her.

Arnav got dressed hastily and stepped out of the threshold of his room to search for her when a pair of lissome hands snaked around his waist from behind. To his surprise the act added too much to his discomfort, he turned around stopping his girlfriend from nuzzling at his neck. Lavanya caught his collars between her fingers, he rolled his eyes in response and she smirked. Dressed in an all lace, backless, flowing black gown, Lavanya Kashyap was dressed to kill now if only the man of her interest would notice. "Why do I feel you were more interested in me when we were living and breathing apart?" she spoke in a low husky drawl, tracing his solid jaw line with her index finger. Arnav barely heard her, restless in doubt. What was Khushi doing here? "C'mon now, won't you tell me how I look?"

"Only if you let me take a look." he said gesturing at her form, suggesting that the way she was clinging to his body made him unable to see her. She grinned sheepishly, still not letting him go, she pecked his cheeks.

"Ahem." Anjali stood at the door facing away. Lavanya let go off his collars as he moved away from her immediately. "Di, what's Khushi doing in here, who the hell allowed her inside?" he demanded.  

Anjali was taken aback by the sudden inquiry, "She and her sister have started a sweet business and we are their first clients. They have been contracted for this party. It's surprising you don't know about it when you are the one who made all the arrangements and placed the orders." Anjali appeared disappointed.

"And that's what I do- Place orders, I don't personally go around looking for who cooks in whose kitchen." he snapped, admitting distaste over the news.

"Stop being a cynical moron Arnav, their preparation is really good, I have taken a look." she defended the sisters. "Also I would appreciate if you could tone down that frown a little, at least for today."

"Lavanya I need you with me for a moment." Lavanya followed her out of the room leaving Arnav on his own. He slammed the door shut, just when he had accepted the chapter of Khushi Gupta to be closed and over she had sprung again like an old wound.

The turbulent skies were particularly moody this evening. Wind currents blew vengefully with moon playing hide and seek with the clouds, rain was one thing that wasn't happening. Inside the majestic Raizada Mansion the air was far more ebullient, effortlessly screening the inmates from the storms outside. Huge Imperial crystal chandeliers hanging from a high ceiling lighted the hall. A gathering of more than a hundred and fifty could not make the place appear shrunk or crowded, the grandeur only swelled with them. A hush descended over the gathering as the new couple Arnav Singh Raizada and Lavanya Kashyap made their first formal public appearance together. Both dressed in classic black, their arms linked, they gave each other brief glances while descending the stairs. Cameras clicked away furiously and the whole act appeared more like a ramp walk. One of the reporters even dared to ask about marriage and was shown the way out by a very annoyed PR. Later the entire press was asked to leave as per advocate Jha's wish since he was a private man who did not fancy the idea of his face appearing on page 3 or any page for that matter. While everyone threw Raizada and Kashyap appreciative glances and spoke of how perfect they looked together, one particular head watching them from the buffet was left with a bitter taste in her mouth. She wasn't feeling unhappy or disappointed, for Devi Maiyya's sake she had no business, it was just that the entire setting made her queasy, the two were bound to be together someday, but were they already?

"Is he engaged to that babe? Although I can't make out her face from here, she must be one classy lass to snag that Raizada." Payal remarked.

Khushi grunted in response placing her hands on the table, "Whatever, who cares? Let him marry her, they are a match made in hell. I am only and really looking forward to Anjaliji, when is she going to come down? She is very kind, I wonder sometimes how a real brother and sister can have such contrasting personalities. I mean a fairy and a monster born to the same parents and receiving the same upbringing. Seriously jiji I really want to see her husband too, he must be such a lucky man to have a wife like her."

"I agree. Do you know his name?"

Khushi shrugged and moved to the other table where a tall Ribbon Chocolate cake was kept, "Why didn't they write names on the cake? I guess it starts with 'M' see on top, there's an 'A & M' icing."

Adorned in a cream colored silken sari with heavy gold embellishments, Anjali looked breathtakingly beautiful, each minor detail from her hair to jewellery to every accessory was given attention, a true fashionista as her friends often called her. Her husband was pacing in their room, standing at the door she cleared her throat to draw his attention. "Your adversaries are gone shy MJ." she said with a coquettish grin. He smiled, "You mean the media? Then we must leave."

"Yes, I'd also want you to meet Khushi and her sister." she said taking his arm.

"Who Khushi?" Shyam inquired recoiling.

"Didn't I tell you about the Gupta sisters? Two lovely girls from Lucknow, they were contracted to cater Lucknavi sweets for our anniversary, you are going to simply love them. Tell you a secret, it seems to me that my little bro Akash has a huge crush on the older sister, Payal." she continued gushing failing to notice the near wreck her husband had become. With all the ease and confidence he could muster, he continued to walk beside his three year old wife, his mind running fast, there was no way his clandestine affair was coming to such a fateful end.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, my sister was wed three years ago, the celebration continues to this day." Cheers resounded, the spotlight on Arnav, he gently nodded at the crowd's response to his opening quote. "And what great joy it brings me to announce that tonight we have all gathered to be a part of their happiness - a celebration of yesterday's dream fulfilled, tomorrow's promise renewed. Please give them a big hand."

The spotlight travelled to the stairs from which they descended, people gathered around the couple and soon the two were engulfed by the crowd. On the farthest end of the hall, behind ornate pillars Khushi tiptoed to catch a glimpse. "Hey can't they keep it a little bright, I can't see them." she complained. Payal too left her place and came forward but at her 5 feet 2 inches it was impossible to steal a glance. She flailed her hands giving up. "Leave it Khushi, maybe later."

"Jiji can I go there? I mean I haven't even wished her, you stay here I'll be right back." she said excitedly but then refrained, "No use, Laad Governor would be hovering, the hawk that he is."

Manorma Raizada appeared from the crowd to help herself with a soft drink when she with her prying eyes noticed the swaying girl, changing view angles. She grimaced strutting towards Khushi,

"Hello hi bye bye Ms Tatters, who are you ogling at?"

There you go Zombie mami enters Khushi mused. "Uh, namaste mamiji."

"Cut down the pleasantries, don't you two girls have any job to do save killing away your time."

"Mamiji we are here to cater sweets..."

"So, just sweets not Kohinoor diamond that you need to stand on guard. C'mon, do some work. There, Hari is making fresh fruit juice, serve it to the guests."

"Why? You have waiters and we are not..." Khushi objected.

Manorma shot her a bitchy glare "If not waiting than what else are you here for?"

Khushi opened her mouth in protest but Payal stopped her. "It's okay Aunty we'll do it."

"You, tell your sister to keep her tongue in check." she snapped at Payal, and walked away her chin high.

"Why should we do this?"

"Khushi, let's just do what she says and get done with our business and leave this place, we cannot afford to disappoint anyone before that, so please take it easy." Khushi nodded reluctantly. For about half an hour all they did was to pour glasses that the waiters carried, till Anjali spotted them. She excused herself and waved towards them. "Hey I was looking for you too, MJ was attending a phone call, I wanted you to meet him." she said sweetly and took Khushi's hand, "Come with me, please."

Eager to see the man, the sisters followed Anjali as she led the way, but mid way, Anjali's college friends swarmed and took her away. "Another chance missed." Payal sighed, "Let's go."

"Excuse me, you are the Gupta sisters right?" They turned to find the manager of From Lucknow with Love. "Are you ready to hit?"

"Oh yes, we are gonna hit a six, when is the ball coming?"

The manager chuckled, "Good, I'll just inform Mr. Mathur everything's set." saying that he left hurriedly to find the host, "Sir, you were asking about that Gupta girl, there she is." he informed, Arnav tilted his head to find her where the manager had pointed. Without a word, he followed her.

"Rahim Chacha where can I find some extra tissues?" she asked the old servant.

"You know the pool side?"

"Upstairs?" she exclaimed.

"No the one on the ground floor, there, do you see the doors to your left, you can find extra tissues and crockery over a table there. Can you find your way?"

"Sure" she smiled.

The servant chuckled, "Bitiya you got lost twice."

"Not this time you bet." This seemed like a good idea, fresh air would do her good, she thought.

The pool was rather identical with the one near Arnav's room, she inhaled deeply in air spiced with the scent of flowers. Burning decorative candles were afloat in clear blue water. She trod her path cautiously on the checked tiles and fetched the packet of tissues.

"Red has the greatest visibility you know, a bad choice if you are trying to hide." The signature smugness lacing the voice had never failed to rile her. But this time, she shuddered as the discomfiting vision of the event in his closet came down upon her with gusto. So did the memory of his perfectly sculpted body, hell she was scarred for life!

She whipped her head in the voice's direction to find Arnav leaning against a column opposite her, his arms folded across his chest. Slowly he brought his hands to his side and dug them in his pockets walking towards her in a leisurely pace. She clutched the table tightly, her heart beat escalating to an all new level. "So tell me Khushi Kumari Gupta, you said you were going to Lucknow. Then what exactly are you doing here? In my house? The last part didn't seem like a question. It was an outright threat.

"I am not your employee anymore, I am not bound to answer you." she said stiffly.

His gaze hardened. "And I am not letting you go."

She did not heed, habitual of dodging him she walked briskly past him. He was quicker. She felt his fingers brush across her palm, reach her wrist and tighten around it in a vice like grip. "What are you..." she began. In a second's time her back was pressed against the cold wall behind her. "Leave me, Mr. Raizada you are misbehaving with me." she hissed.

"You don't leave me with much of an option." he hissed back, placing his free hand on the wall effectively caging her.

"Look you must be the mighty ASR in your house, but here you cannot..."

"It is my house, remember?"

She fought agitatedly to yank her hand away.

"Stop squirming." he said with grim hostility.

"Leave me or I will..." she challenged.

"Or you will?" he mocked.

"I will lodge a complaint against you for manhandling me." she threatened.

He smirked in response bringing his face closer to her, "It takes doing a little more than this to be called manhandling." he whispered. Khushi froze. The gall of the man, she thought shaking. He continued to stare at her icily.

"Why are you after me?" she uttered helplessly.

"And I thought it was the other way round. You keep showing up, tell me how did you scheme a sneak in this time?"

"Contrary to what you believe, my life doesn't revolve around you Mr. Raizada." she snapped.

"Then why didn't you go back?"

"I was compelled to and compelled against. Both the times, things were not in my control. If I had known earlier that I'll land here, had the manager told me in advance or we had not put so much money into this, I would have...I would have preferred to die in dignity rather than face the humiliation by working for people like you." she bit back bitterly.

"You have worked for people like me in the past too Ms. Gupta." he jeered, "And you have an exceptionally poor track record."  

"Don't even go there, you know very well what happened when I worked in your office."

"I do. Hell yes. You lost."

"You played unfair."

"Never. I had laid rules in the contract." he reminded her.

Khushi shuddered at the thought, the contract, One lac, what if he demanded it?, "You won't see me again. I promise."   

"Really?" the sarcasm was back.

"Really." she said with some determination. Still unwilling to let her go, he stared at her blankly, she stared back, the war lasted for a couple of moments till a clicking sound of stilettos broke their trance. "ASR?" Lavanya came looking for her boyfriend. Petrified, Khushi wrestled to free herself furiously giving him an incredulous look. Reluctantly he let her go and stepped back.

"ASR you are here and I was looking for you everywhere." Lavanya tut-tutted hugging him from behind and then her eyes fell on the other person in their space. "Glitters? What are you doing here?"

Khushi hesitated, searched his eyes for some semblance of remorse, finding none she walked away. Her anklet loosened around her ankle and fell on the ground near pool escaping her notice. But it did not escape his.

"What was Glitters doing here?" she asked him again.

"Forget her." he replied, his gaze still hovering over the tiny ornament almost obsessively. She aroused in him an irrational desire that he could neither comprehend nor curb.