an incredible man this asr

indi52 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 9 years ago

what made him exciting and precious was not his tortured past and the jagged edges thanks to it. there are many characters in all sorts of literature and arts who have the appeal of the cut and torn. heathcliff. othello. my little obsession, don draper. oh there are many and all of us i'm sure have a favourite or two.

what made asr beautiful to me, was the way he dealt with his share of rain, his terrible difficulties at a very young age. he faced it, fair and square. he never ran away into fantasy or try to make it better with stories and platitudes. it is true, people say they can understand what you feel, but no one can ever feel the emotions you go through when you cremate both your parents, touching them with the fire that will annihilate, end it all. 

his entire sense of trust was badly shaken. his father had betrayed his mother, him and his sister too. the father is a place of trust, respect, solidity. none of that for this boy of 14. gone in a moment.

along with it, his haven of love, shelter, growth: his mother.

how terrible that his mother had killed herself because of his father's actions. his beloved mother who tried to teach her taciturn, angry, little chhotey the meaning of life, the value of conscience, of examining things, of giving the rose a chance.

he could have easily become incredibly bitter, harsh, cold. and rich and materially successful, while being drop dead good looking. oh yes, even that would have made him an exciting man, especially watching a woman break through layers of this darkness to matter like mad would be delicious. 

but asr went much further than that. he did it his way. 

(ok me sucker for individualistic people, do their own thing, prepared to face the consequences, but think and act according to what they feel is right, sounds familiar?)

he held the pain by its horn and charged right back at it, with all of himself, not some cut and lacerated bits of him, everything that's him, the good, the bad, the scared, the broken, the laughing, everything. he promised himself he'd make it ok for all those he loved. that trust, that respect, that solidity, he would restore all of it. he will be nothing like his father (though interestingly the writers gave him his dad's anger issues, wish they had dome something with it), he was nothing like him. he would be honest, clean, hard working, dependable.

and he would not depend on anyone else, i feel this came from the extreme sense of betrayal he felt re one person, the one he depended on, perhaps at some point even his hero, his father.

no god, kismet, fate. asr would make his own destiny himself. no problem if his di and whole family needed their bhagwan to make things happen. he wouldn't try to change them, another sign of strength in my eyes. but he would go it alone. if power and money were what mattered, he'd create enough never to have to look back. of course, there was much about life the boy had to learn, and go way beyond power and money, but his way of dealing with tragedy and his clear eyed courage in taking it all on, breathtaking. my feeling, there was lots of asr's mother and her basic positivity and integrity in his basic character. so even when he seemed harsh and terrible, some part in him always breathed and felt human. ah the guest house scene. dead.

only one concession to the turmoil, and maybe only because a part of him just ached and cried within (for which child would not want their dad to be who they thought they were), maybe that's why the closing down of his heart in one matter. women and love. arnav singh raizada ko kissi ladki se koi faraq nahin padta. a boy was keeping his hurt inside and away, while somehow trying to make amends to his mom. don't worry, i won't ever fall like that, i will always love you and di and my family with all of me. i will be there. i will not fall and become like him, your husband. no place for women inside me, no allowing them in. no getting carried away to saansey ruk jaygi moments. di, you're becoming like nirupa roy every day. a fabulous defence put up by one shattered within and trying to stay calm and strong. (all my conjectures, all may be wrong.) 

by giving himself a real job to do in crisis i feel he saved himself. anger brought intensity, but he let his intelligence bring guidance.

his primary reason for going forward was not hate, it became love. for his sister. he anchored himself there, and went into the future, as its maker. this indomitable spirit and not the tortured soul is what made him so very dear to me. not just another troubled, good looker, i wanted to hold in my arms and nurse back to love and such stuff. but a man i admired and wanted to learn from, thrilled me to hear his views on life, love, god, work, and more.

sorry, just coming out of asr deprivation tank, had to write an essay on the man. a bit all over the place, but you know this character deserves as deep a delve as any macbeth othello gora karna heathcliff.

today is exactly 19 months since the last episode of ipk and asr... yet he continues unfettered in many minds and hearts, discussions, chats, arguments, edits, vms, everywhere. i wrote this a while ago, made the edit today... wanted to share. please do leave your thoughts and opinions here... looking forward to a cool and happy thread, maybe a little chaotically dhakdhak but hopefully no nastiness. that is reserved only for the incredible one.

Edited by indi52 - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

indi52 thumbnail
i wrote that after watching 24... on the blast from the past thread. barun made asr asr really... was watching an sbs the other day, it was done during the early days of ipk. there was talk of asr being difficult to like, khadoos, etc., then sanaya said she likes asr the way barun does him... that was the thing, this young actor somehow got this character and went beyond the written word. i liked the way he said, yes, asr was difficult to do, so are all characters. serious actors know that instinctively... nothing is easy... you have to find more than what can be said in words to make a character live.

i'd forgotten how incredible the episode after the rain hug was. episode 24, each and every sequence packed and beautiful. barun the actor and asr the character, both in such form, your dil and dimaag just had to surrender. every scene of barun's, flawless. mind you, beautiful voice modulation was just about beginning, voice still a tad flat at this point, but i do find it sexy. the body language, something else. the way he grips her shoulder, then notices and lets her go, pushes her in fact as though he can't believe he is holding her; some part of him is losing control, it wants to hold her, yet he mustn't want to, complex simmering emotions, with just one gesture he conveys so much.

any director who works with him should be whooping with joy at the mine of talent he has just got himself. needs to be coaxed a bit, but when it gives, does it give.

face is like a river, constant flow of emotions, and when it's still you feel the emotions murmuring beneath. how can anyone with so little dialogue, even if all key and crafted with insight, have created an entire character in just 24 episodes of 20 odd minutes each, that should someone tell you asr did this, you'd be able to say "nah, he couldn't have", or "oh yes, that's like him" or "he did? how could he?"is way beyond me.

i can't remember an actor with such a mobile face or such powerful body language. yet understated and real. he has a feel of the greats, and i am completely sober when i say so.

that minute eye movement, the slightest shift, within that a change of expression, quintessential barun. does anyone do it better. wish i could show you how his finger held her slight shoulder, you could almost feel their pressure.
Edited by indi52 - 9 years ago
Mysticaldivine thumbnail
Beautiful Indi,πŸ‘

I am going to steal this from your writing here to start 

people say they can understand what you feel, but no one can ever feel the emotions you go through

This one line of yours is the key of his whole life ...of anyone's life in his shoes...
He lost the "Faith" in things which make a child "safe " in his heaven...
a Heaven of a child is "home" 
Home comes with "parents " 
Parents come with trust and Love
Those two factors were missing in his life...badly and he learned to say"koi fadak nahin padta" It doesn't matter...just like he used to say in his childhood to his mother "I don't care"...
a self defiance and that starts seeing and hearing things for a mind at early age and at that age that child starts his/her rebellious nature to kick in...this is a mechanism coping with "Fear"
Fear of losing that dream ...
a dream of losing someone special to imagine to be without him/her
imagine to be shattered by them 
shattering that part of your life which is way hard to snatch away and that is what he has to live with it, seeing his father shattering his dreams , seeing his mother getting mentally tortured...imagining how she is going through with that pain every day, seeing her crying...worse for any child

A 14 years old is the age where a child started learning transformation...from child to a young man or a woman with full dreamy life and he started an adult's life.
where he has to take care of his sister...he became a father figure , a protector and a predecessor which he wanted from his father but he got betrayed in return...

Here comes Faith after losing Trust and Love...
He lost that trust in God..."Main apni kismat khud banata hoon..." Yes he learned that because that is one way of getting out his anger as a child...He might have grown up but his mind was still there frozen at that age...to rebel from the norms...he never stopped others but for him that part had no meaning and like so many other things too which our society and culture has webbed around us...
In some ways he is correct...certain norms of the society had no meaning if a person's conscious is not right...

His conscious was clear and straight...but again he saw two version of a same picture always..

His mother who was a protector of a home for her kids...He saw "wo aurat" another woman who was the reason of breaking a home , a family...lost his trust on an other woman besides his sister and mother ...

He saw a di, sister, a mother figure who was everything for him but he was still incomplete , empty inside searching for that unconditional Love which he only had from his mother , ...kangan of hers even enough to sooth him..he wanted that noise and he got that in Khushi but again she was a woman...another woman ...koi ladki...jiss se ASR koi Fadak nahin padta...He was refusing it and that refusal made him more angry...and he started runniing away from her...but again has to halt in the middle of the road...yes he has to stop...and she was the reason of that ...the rain was "Showers of Love" in which he drenched...fully but again wanted to run away but could he...no she was in him ,penetrated deeply making him fully drenched inside out...and he was a sponge..absorbed it all too...the Love which he was looking for...

Love which never left him after his mother and he was showering it to others in his own way ...but embraced it through Khushi who showed him that he has it all along , just come forward and hug that "feeling" and he did before standing and denying...holding her in his arms...

I made this Rain hug post on Blast thread...Sharing here with you again

RAIN HUG[EPISODE 24]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f99HRjWM0S8[/YOUTUBE]

This epi is making me ,compelling me to go back...and snatch the moment again from the time to devour these two along with the essence of this moment which never been projected on small screen or even big one with that much intensity and devotion...

His gripping secured ,protective shell around her made his own shell cracked that day with the jolt of Thunder.....ASR urged to protect her ,hold her, to redeem himself from the agony of bitterness...she was indeed a shining star in the most stormy night without seen by any but him...

Arnav Singh Raizada ko kissi ladki seh fadak nahin padta ...main sahi hoon...meaning he felt the very first time he did something wrong and this feeling of belonging to someone was threatening him with the sound of Thunder...Yet his life started around the noise of her Payal  which soothes all of his threatening sounds around him which couldn't let him relieve from or deject from it for a very very long time...Now he wants to see her all the time but had no clue why...

What a lovely episode wrapping beauteous layers of mixed feelings of Angels and Demons hidden in each character as humans but in some up to that extreme showing how darkness is prevailing and ruling over goodness but the ray of goodness still has not died and reflecting its presence with ray of HOPE that "I will be out and dazzle in a full swing" no matter how long will it take.Contrasting shadows of alluring, bewitching, enticing, dazzling,ravishing,stunning and simply beautiful stray of emotions

First secure hold and then next moment dejection after realizing of going against his set norms...Koi Matlab nahin...

Is this the same ASR  who told his sister,"It will never happen to me because I don't waste my time in these useless things (Love,infatuation, etc) [Main in Fazool batton Main Waqat Barbad Nahi Karta] is falling for this ordinary girl.Today this stern person's goodness was trying hard to come out of him unveiling his other side which is not DARK at all,which is not EVIL at all,which is not DEVILISH or SATANIC at all.Brilliant Brilliant exposure of vast range of emotions and expressions by Mr Sobti.πŸ‘πŸΌ Indeed he is her Rakshus and Rajkumar at the same time.

RAIN HUG[EPISODE 24]

Edited by ArshiHamesha - 9 years ago
kizh72 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Mushkil hi nahin, namumkin hai! sigh!
No getting over this one.
πŸ˜†
-Roshini- thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Awesome post dear
Barun is a fantastic actor :)
x.titli.x thumbnail
Unreswa πŸ˜›πŸ˜†
Wow meri Indi is back with a dhamakedar post once again!!!!! First it has been BFTP wala thread and now this a pure treat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ASR and baarish...an epic wala combo...This scene is really close to my heart...ASR thundering from inside and outside...the rain scene was perfectly apt to show so many mixed emotions and feelings!!!!!😳
The scene was very beautifully shot...loved the setting and the direction...ASR driving, having all these flashbacks...he stopped the car...and went outside...it was raining heavily...as if he wanted the replies on his questions...

"kyun mujhe ussi ka kayaal bhar bhar araha hai sirf ussi ka kayaal?" 
This line and the dialogues delivered were simply epic and intense...

The actor itself: 
Barun had simply nailed it...He lived as ASR truely...even if Barun said that he's the exact opposite of ASR in real life I couldn't believe it because I got lost between what is reel and real...acting is a job as some people say...but for me it's more like that...true you do acting to get money but with Barun or the whole cast I've never felt that...maybe because they lived all their characters so intensely that as a viewer and fan you found all this quite natural "easy" and so right!😳

Barun is not only a handsome actor or "Hotwa" but a person who loves his work and who loves challenges...ASR was a challenge and he achieved it superbly...there was no extra in his acting because he's himself a very sweet and simple human being and that reflected onscreen...he didn't need loads of glyceryn to cry...because even if his eyes were not moist...his body language eyes and voice modulation made everything...
For this scene a big hat's off to the creatives, producers and IPK team...they all did a fab' job...πŸ‘who could have imagined that even if 3 years after IPK entered our lives and  almost 2 years after it ended our show would still make our hearts go DHAK DHAK? Me no

Coming to the ARHI rain sequence scene: 
This was the only rain sequence we got in the show...and once again IPK made his trademark...usually rain sequences are done to show romance and love but here it was totally different: it showed love and romance indeed but not the "classic" one: Khushi was doing her duty work by guiding all the cars to park a work gave by ASR so why ASR would care for this woman who according to himself 'meant nothing in his life' ? 

It was a constant battle between Dil and Dimaag...he ran to save her...but kaise? Aur Kyun? The Dil won this time...he was ASR only for outside world but inside he was Arnav...a man who couldn't see their loved ones being in pain and to whom he had promised he would protect them...he did the same with Khushi but not because she was a member of his family but because she was his soulmate and that only her could complete him and understand him. At this moment he was too much confused about his feelings because all this was new to him and he saw only the dark and painful side of life.

Barun and Sanaya have completely done justice to IPK and this scene in particular...as both being wonderful actors and very good friends...it wasn't "that hard" for them to do such intense scenes...because they were really understanding towards each other. Here it was only the initial episodes but then their friendship kept on growing...and they gave us 1.5 years of pure magic😳

Indi thank you so much for this magnificient post...I love the way you write really...the way you play with words sounds like melody (how beautiful is that line naa? πŸ˜† don't throw me chappals pleeedjπŸ˜†πŸ€£). And I simply love the banner of your thread: the siggy is superbly done!!!! and the black and white effect WOW...it gives so much intensity!!!

It's the first time I guess wrote that much and tried to put my feelings but I still think it's less!!!πŸ˜³πŸ˜†

tight hugs baby and thank you so much once again!!!πŸ€—

Edited by MariaArHiholic - 9 years ago
indi52 thumbnail
^^^
faiqa,

fantastic take o the reason asr becomes who he does... that fear of loss idea is fascinating. till something as destructive as what happened to him happens to us i guess we will not understand this fear or its outcome.

i love your take on the rain hug and the edits are breathtaking. thanks so much for posting it here. today is 19 months after the last episode. i feel like making it special...
indi52 thumbnail

Originally posted by: kizh72

Mushkil hi nahin, namumkin hai! sigh!

No getting over this one.
πŸ˜†

hi kizh... namumkin it is. i am stalking my many cells and asking, any chance guys thatw e shall ever walk away? guess what the answer is. thanks so much for reading. i just do not wish to plague the populace with many pms but had hoped some of you would find this. 😳
indi52 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Rohinid

Awesome post dear
Barun is a fantastic actor :)

rohinid,

thanks so much... and i abs agree with you, he is really really talented.

ArnieBoyBarun thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Fabulous, especially his beliefs about God. He never stops anyone and he never credits God for whatever he has and never blames God for whatever tragedies he had gone through. I love that quality. He believes he can make things correct and admits things can go wrong.

it was like God himself made writers write all these things, beautiful characterization i have ever seen in tv, cinema, novels and every piece of fiction work i have gone through.

Lovely write-up on ASR. I loved and loved and loved it.
Edited by -SweetJasmine- - 9 years ago