Blast from the Past Thread #23!!Catch up and some ott!! pg 114 epi 230 - Page 46

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

PutijaChalhov thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 10 years ago

Originally posted by: indi52

where are you? why do you hide?
where is that moonlight trail that leads to your side?

~~~ from moonraker ~~~

episode 225

i've seen your smile in a thousand dreams
felt your touch and it always seems
you love me, you love me

~~~ moonraker ~~~

just like the moonraker knows
his dream will come true someday
i know that you are only a kiss away

~~~ moonraker ~~~

for almost five minutes the camera followed one actor as he followed a feeling. missing. normally this would get boring, but this is ipk and sorry there is no "normally". hardly any words. but then hardly any were needed. with his every part of being barun sobti expressed asr missing, wanting, needing, loving khushi kumari gupta singh raizada, "meri pattni". started where such things start... in the heart... "khu..." he called out unconsciously when he came out of the bathroom refreshed. yeah that's when he is used to seeing her in the room... doing some khushi like thing, like talking to a goat while being berated. then he stopped in his tracks, shrug-shrugged and said, good she's not there, he'd get some peace and quiet. but alas, that was not going to happen. the missing grew, he started seeing her in his minds eye... laughing, dancing close with him... khushi who laughed, who poured jooice into shoes, who peeped out of cupboards, whom he'd just told she'd made his life hell... all because he was so peeved she wouldn't accept his apology. and then she had gone around being cold, being aloof, he'd tried to shout at her, something in him perhaps hoping he'd get a sassy saucy answer from her... he hated seeing her so down and quiet and away from him.

but hah! he was arnav singh raizada, he was not going to admit that... yet that missing... that need. when his eyes open they search her first, on the bed, by the pool, where is she? and why is hp mentioning her, "maine poochha?" by the end of the second day he is almost wilting. nothing feels good, without her. hate her love her whatever, she must be before his eyes.

barun was so good, looking for her, his eyes darting here and there, his whole body language somehow restless, then sad, how he let that star go, standing before the poster that offended him all he could see was her laughing smiling face. how helpless he seemed without her. almost lost.

and so he was.

interestingly he recalled her laughter and not her morose face as he missed her. she was laughter in his life. a life bleak and fairly lonely at one level (the episode showed that well, he met no one practically for an evening and a day). because he'd kept nothing for himself really. just that determination to win at all cost. he had forgotten lightness and joy.

for himself.

she was that.

and she wouldn't show herself. where are you, why do you hide?

if he were in that state after being really nasty to her, she was in a painful place of her own. he doesn't even want to see her...

of course he was being awful because he so wanted her... convoluted maybe but true. had she accepted his apology, he'd have felt calmer within. never occurred to him that she really should not have to tell him where she was... that he had lost his temper in his usual way, and crossed a line...

and she, when she saw him being sweet to di, for once a thought came before she could bar it, a thought, a feeling, a need for her own self, her bruised heart... how could this man be so different with two people. she had felt his love once and then in an instant that had been replaced by this chaos... and she so wanted him to love her, care for her, be nice... because she did love him so... even though he was being perfectly hateful.

her passive aggressive resistance came out... and expressed her displeasure. her hurt. not being able to handle it, a bit of a universal male trait i must say teehee... he felt hemmed in... no idea how to make it better. and why should he make it better?!! huh! she was the one at fault after all... she had made his life hell. he had to say that too and she felt all the hurt she could.

sanaya had just a few scenes but how beautifully she expressed a state of mind. a young girl, tender, loving, innocent, who had dreamed of love and now this. how hard she has tried to make things better, though she had no clue why this craziness had been unleashed on her. yet she couldn't hate him, not really... she could pester him and fight with him... but not hate... then had come his heer ranjha words followed by complete denial of any feelings and then a right royal tantrum out of nowhere. gussa fit. she was tired, worn down by this emotional roller coaster ride... drooping. her sunny side badly in the shade. and he goes and tells her she's made his life hell, he'd rather not see her. the feelings that flow through her.

but of course, in the middle of all that... "kuchh dhang ka karo..." he would like her to do something with her life. and she too despite her suffering has to get him the file, though without a ward. interrupted in the middle of hsi rant to aman, he must look at the file, then her turned away face, react to it completely, and snatch the file away.

had he not been nasty to her. had he not snatched the file. had she not gone into a hurt angry quiet... there might have been cause for concern. but this complete lack of indifference to each other. this reacting to every beat and breath of the other... what was this if not love.

a nearly 30 year long relationship has taught me all this happens. including the senselessness and hurt and misery when love is involved. in fact, these are possibly as characteristic of that thing as are joy, ecstacy, euphoria, wonder, teasing, humour, happiness, desire.

the acting took a written thing to another level. khushi and asr looked like themselves, young and beautiful and sexy, but the feelings they plumbed and expressed were deep and timeless. the way his eyes searched for her, you could feel the lift and fall and longing and pain and need of his heart.

how they created the atmosphere they did with shot of tacky things like salman poster, plastic taarey, garish mobile remains unfathomable for me. ipk is not at all sophisticated in terms of production values. its creatives, pushed for time, shooting every day, working nonstop... had hardly any time to devise arty options, such as shooting a particular way to create a mood, a look. but somehow they knew how to get the maximum out of a thing. it is true perhaps that if you have the content, the form really does not matter that much. nice to have it, if not, the content still sees you though.

there were lighter segments in the episode. some creepy shyam tactics though to what end we never knew. a lovely grandma grandson interlude, again a set of emotions there. and ipk really was all about emotions. there was the opening scene with di, key to introducing the main theme of the day, and of course mami the virulent with payal the vapid. all of these were there i felt to just punctuate and hold the central emotion in place, to accentuate it somehow. it was good to run into some eye flickering by snake, a little tycoon talk on i make my own kismet, etc., and then dash back to a poolside tryst, a conversation with a loved one's back and eyes filling up.

the episode had a poignance, a "dard" in it that really reminded me of a ghazal. a song written to express longing for the lover, extreme longing, perhaps the lover doesn't return the love, or has lost interest...

often have asr and khushi and their thing for each other brought music to the mind. when they canoodled by the poolside, they were definitely "i wanna hold your hand". here they were like a ghazal... he was perhaps "ranjish hi sahi", she maybe "yun hasraton ke daag". i may not have chosen the most apt songs, but the pleading for the loved one in a ghazal, the dard which is a mix of pain and sadness and all its sweetness, it was all there. and because this was asr in this frame of mind, there was a touch of the blues and jazz in it. a mournful sax played somewhere. picking up when he turned sharply at the sound of her voice.

"yun hasraton ke daag mohabbat mein dho liye
Khud dil se dil ke baat kahi aur ro liye

ghar se chale they hum to khushi ki talaash mein
khushi ki talaash mein
gam raah mein khade they wo hi saath ho liye
khud dil se dil ke baat kahi aur ro liye
 Lovely
the stains of desires I washed in love
had a heart-to-heart talk with my heart and cried away

i left my abode in my quest for happiness
in my quest for happiness
found sadness in my path and picked it up
had a heart-to-heart talk with my heart and cried away"

"ranjish hi sahi dil hi dukhaane ke liye aa
if it is grief so be it, come to break my heart again
aa phir se mujhe chhoR ke jaane ke liye aa
do come, if only for the act of leaving me again"

credit for lyrics and translation to uploader.

end note
this is the end, my friends, between the first shot and the second one, indi rolled over and died.
and the man buttons his top button after knotting his tie, how precise and specific and aaa.

@Indi  a master of words love to read your take

Ah the relief to see her hear her voice

Kya Miliye Aise Logon Se,
Jinki Fithrath Chupi Rahe,

Khud Se Bhi Jo Khud Ko Chupaaye,
Kya Unse Pehechaan Karen,
Kya Unke Daaman Se Lipten

The way he hides within himself does not want to think that he wants her near by but his expressions eyes belies everything he says

aarwen thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: ArshiHamesha

aarwen it is true that his ego made him more attractive ...and in pink ,as I mentioned couple of times,,himself a shy, has no social family skills ,can't talk with anyone as a simple guy but can talk and crack deals in his ASR mode...but when he sees Khushi, he comes out of that avatar...his is an open book to her...she is confuse and quiet natural for a young girl in our culture but she is reaching there slowly and when she gets him...she just embraces him...like koi baat nahi jab mun kare tou bata dijye ga...or aapko khuch bhi kehne ki zaroorat nahin ...hum jante hain aap bhi woh sare pal jeena chahte ho...

She has just become his voice , and soo she will be HIM...his soul will talk to her without words and his lips will just make an attempt but she will be his VOICE...that's how I see it.

In words of NK.. "Budhiya interpretation!" πŸ‘πŸΌThey do complete each other.. Arnav always was perceptive of Khushi I felt but as you rightly point out Khushi gradually started to learn and accept him. Later tracks may have lacked the spark of the original episodes but atleast there was an easy comfort between Arnav and Khushi. In a way that is what marriage is actually all about. You can't always have an intense teri meri dance throughout life but once in a while you have a natural conversation on a phone with a teasing then blushing girl and an impatient then relaxed man and you realize that this feeling of normalcy , sense of security and happiness is what fate wanted them to enjoy.  
indi52 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Horizon

Indi, these were my similar thoughts when this sequence transpired. But now things that frustrated me those days do not do as much, like the swami or the dabba service. These days, I see light through the eyes of every one here, to make a few moments that I loved even more lovable and those that I didn't less frustrating .. your holi or faiqa's almost everything or Issk's garlanded entry or ami's mehsoos or romantic bits or ipoona's pearl strand destruction ..for  a few.. I seem to found my new way of loving  Arnav- Khushi!

Now to sundari aur shaitan, yes NO subtlety.. in the face .. shaitan and rajkumar.. but then perhaps khushi was never subtle. She would relate her pounding heart in that man's presence to acidity and test it. And yes her now appear now disappear tuition services only speak for that underlined.. she was never really that important  Khushi is almost, if I may, only a tool to show case the intensity of this man in his journey towards love.. be it his anger (I don't like to call it hate, as these two are never really averse to each other but only angered either with themselves or with the other), regret, love, care! The pain in his eyes, the sadness in her voice were very touching.

Thanks for that candid talk up there. Enjoyed immense.

thanks, horizon for reading 226...

thanks also for saying what you do about watching again and letting all our takes add to teh experience, make it better.

agree with you, a lot of things that were ugh last time, i can see now and even find meaning or fun in... in fact, was surprised i had so much to say on anything really after holi... but ha ha me bak bak.

i like what you say about how khushi being khushi this in your face story may be more what she'd express through. lovely point of view.

i had hoped after the intensity and music of silent treatment and missing, this episode would somehow melt into me... but something was missing... could have been the acting, i did find sanaya not too engaged... could be she was tired, it was one of those days or something, the pacing, the structure... no idea what... and certainly that unnecessary cutesie pie.

anyway, i am hoping this week's episode is better and has me floating once more.

khushi was just a tool alas. i write a couple of stories as you know... somehow because maybe of the treatment meted to her here, i am always very engaged with her while writing... it actually makes the story better somehow... the other day a reader said she loved khushi and wouldn't mind reading a story all about her. it felt like such a wonderful compliment. though i instantly frowned and thought am i being uncaring toward my sweet asr. πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Edited by indi52 - 10 years ago
indi52 thumbnail

Originally posted by: AKAD

indi

Brilliant display of emotions of Arnav and Khushi.I have to admit, I felt for Khushi and Arnav too.Both are having their own reasons but still it feels like they are killing themselves with their own swords.Khushi who can't be quiet and now is kind a withdrawn and he can't see her like that.It kills him million times when she has tears or for god bid quiet .He uses his taunting methods to make her snap but she just not in a mood anymore .His ego goes down in less than two days.So much to wish for Mr Raizada.
But the way he was looking for her on the doorway , and those stars, everything was reminding him of her.How cruel and when she will go away after 6 months then.6 months is all you asked for RIGHT.

Love the edits πŸ‘

Sorry for late response , kind a busy in taxing and all.

Thank You😊

hi akad,

thanks so much.

their love story is so full of weirdness and unnecessary ego and wars... feels like a real one, doesn't it? i behave in this ridiculous fashion only with my husband... and he with me...

yes, how will he live without her after those six months? shatir he may be, but clueless about the matters of the heart... watching him learn that was one of the most rewarding things in ipk.

busy, haan? hey, come when you can and no need to apologise for commenting late... no such thing as late really. πŸ˜‰

indi52 thumbnail

Originally posted by: PutijaChalhov

@Indi  a master of words love to read your take

Ah the relief to see her hear her voice

Kya Miliye Aise Logon Se,
Jinki Fithrath Chupi Rahe,

Khud Se Bhi Jo Khud Ko Chupaaye,
Kya Unse Pehechaan Karen,
Kya Unke Daaman Se Lipten

The way he hides within himself does not want to think that he wants her near by but his expressions eyes belies everything he says

chalhov... thanks... and that's such a beautiful song. there are people who hide themselves from themselves... and asr in matters of the heart is really such a man...

the lines in pink, beautiful.

Horizon thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: ArshiHamesha

Thnx viv πŸ˜Š

GH is a meaningful track yet the way it is directed with OTT style that is something.

First as a girl , young and before marriage we always have a sense of belonging, sense of safety and peace naturally without any hesitation when we sleep in our room, in our bed , where we are used since childhood...very natural and freedom in sleep just occupied us unintentionally.So is with Khushi and she sleeps in TWando way because in her mind she is still not properly married and she is in her room in her bed...when he inquires Ghar par tou aise nahin soti...yahan par kyuon...as he is not familiar with that yet.

But at the same time she wanted to cross that Arnav Rekha...πŸ˜† because she wants to be touched and caressed by him..has craving for him and wants to touch him as she did during Swami track...caressing his hair and then come back to her senses ..that she is on mission of 100 ways...just like he refused of all Holi because he is on mission for his Di...Hisaab baraber always

You are right she wanted to see her folks comfortable and was making sure with all of her OTT style because whenever she is worried she acts clown, makes Jalaibis, talks non stop...because later when she does that during Sheetal track , he knows Sheetal or something is bugging her up ...

but here is the thing...

He comes to GH and starts with his Raizada style...AC is fitting in the room, all of his goodies are on display but "why did she bring him here.." to irritate him...NO..she brought him here to see the life of simple ppl but WHY , he was out of Sheesh Mahal , definitely had seen some harsh days before reaching up here...but his mind is SET that ppl and gals from this middle class are just like that and do anything for money ...so he has to see the women of this class closely ...old , young doesn't matter...NOT ALL WOMEN ARE ALIKE or the ppl of this class ...that was the key and at the top they came closer understanding this fact of life.The ppl of this class have some class and he says this to her on the road side...itni achi tarbiyat keh bawajood tum ney aisa karne ki jurat kaisey ki...

Then Preeto wedding comes along which clearly shows him how much difficulties and humiliations this class has to suffer during their girl's marriage and he FIXES the problem by sending the message that if men and boys want they can convince their families too...

Now come back to Public Bath...Did anyone make fun at him...NO
Did anyone said anything ..NO
It was the proof that it is a NEED of the ppl in this class to struggle and find ways of survival...he thinks it is humiliation at first, and she knows he will be in full rage  but she is in her Sanka mode with 100 ways to reach to the truth of their marriage...BUT when he sees ppl live their life like that and it was not an affront or insult  and it is the way of life and at the same time he starts changing her mind by helping her family ...which makes her change and her OTT stops and now her focus is Finding Truth of their marriage...
In the mean time She makes him mechanic because he challenges her...tum har kam nahin kar sakti and I am your need ...but did she get that part??... NO ...she is in process and so is he...

I also took it this way as two scenes are parallel...Bubbly with soap , Shyam pours water on Anjali and Anjali does the same... and during this process SOAP which has a key mark gets melted...right...and here soap is all over on Arnav...Difficulties created by SHyam for him..as the file and the will is moving around...That public bath also indicates extreme difficulties for him where he will not be able to come out and Khushi will remove his soap , his difficulties and that's exactly happened later ...Shyam kidnapped him...and she went through all to get him and yes SHE CAN DO Something alone too but again SHE NEEDED him the most by feeling that emptiness...and SHYAM was making it difficult for her too 

Anjali did try her best but to clean that creep but she couldn't , because ganga jal can't pure dirty souls...

Sorry for my blabbering...I must shut up now

viv,

you are absolutely right that a hard kiss that time would have promptly brought her back to senses.. but then he thought she loved someone else.. there was no desire from him even when he thought she was engaged to some one else.. explains the dearth of sexual tension post their marriage.. but she needed that just as a medication that time perhaps..

Faiqa,

This post of yours has been on my mind all of last week. Just couldn't come here to scribble. Here are my 2 cents,

First  a huge round of applause for applying some logic into the one of the most irrational tracks. truly great symbolism for the soap,  Next time I watch this track, I should have your write up as  a running script to keep my sanity intact.

Now, Khushi's 101 ways to irritate only made sense as her own style of taking revenge on him than setting him right. Becos ASR never really seemed he needed a personality overhaul. If Khushi never came into his life he wouldn't have ended up as a social menace but only would have contributed a cent or two to country's GDP. And he is the most genuine when it comes to all but of course Khushi is a different ball game altogether.

Inspite of all those aukat talks, he seemed to have offered financial help when these so called middle class are in need, be it Khushi's medical bills or driver Mohan's. And he never really disrespected Khushi's own sis Payal or even her family. Even on the day of Diwali, at the moment of  "koi matlab nahi" when he came inside  her house, he was most respectful to her family and their needs. Many things directly pointed to the fact that he had a "problem" with Khushi but not to all belonging to similar social strata as her.

He fixing AC at GH looked more of a way of making him comfy there.. like he has a right on his home he would do what ever makes his ambience work for him.. that only showed his belongingness/haq that he felt/exercised in her house every time he walked  in. ...than his intent to insult Gupta parivar.  Public bath, I am yet to watch it, but in a country where the definition of middle class changed leaps and bounds in the last 1/2 decades, public bath is not common any more not even in rural areas. Its not a question of if Khushi's neighborhood mocked him or not, but what khushi felt about it..that she is ok with public parading of her husband. What about getting that water inside the house and bathing? And that mechanic part... It all only and only came across her own way of punishing him, if he can coerce her into a wedding she can bring him to her house and subject him to all sorts torture.. Khushi's anger and her urge to punish this man are more than justified. .. and that entire GH track was a big tit for tat from her... ofcourse she is as imperfect as him.. and this love story is all about how to imperfect souls can still strike a perfect chord in unison!

viv04 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
@horizon
Loved you touching ASR's sense of belonging to Gupta family/residence and the reasoning for the public bath.
The virile ASR was projected sterile, as the story had to go through six months contract all the way.  No loosing control.  I am happy with the discussions we get into, the display of varied sets of emotions that kept coming at random rate and of course their growth.
Edited by viv04 - 10 years ago
supriya.arshi thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Episode 227

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUu-DKsUbbM[/YOUTUBE]

First Telecast on Monday, 10th April 2012

Full episode links

Thanks, Katelyn,for all the links.

Credit for the videos: Respective uploaders

Please click here to see

Blasters takes 225 - 227
indi52 thumbnail

"my name is not my lord," replied the monster, "but beast; i don't love compliments, not i. i like people to speak as they think; and so do not imagine, i am to be moved by any of your flattering speeches. but you say you have got daughters. i will forgive you, on condition that one of them come willingly, and suffer for you. let me have no words, but go about your business, and swear that if your daughter refuse to die in your stead, you will return within three months."

~~~ jeanne-marie leprince de beaumont, beauty and the beast ~~~

would like to chat about raj kumar, shaitan, women and their expectations re whom they will marry and such stuff.

also about love meaning you gotta love the beast not just the prince...

i may not be too coherent...

completely whacked right now, back from a beautiful but strenuous trip, and two whiskies down... but 226 bothers me... got to place it in the structure somewhere.

one of the most stunning first episodes i have seen was ipk's... so full, so detailed and such a fabulous opener... key aspects of the story all there... except for shyam.

it starts on a wedding. weddings are a major concern in india... somehow there is this premium attached to it... our cultural norms are such, that no matter how educated or independent or "modern" or "westernised" we may be, girls are constantly being told about when they will get married, etc., also a notion of the prince or the raj kumar who will come to marry one.

of course, the prince is a constant in  most european fairy tales, perhaps all fairy tales.

in the idea of the raj kumar is perhaps the collective desire of women in what they look for in the man with whom they hope to make a permanent relationship.

first episode... she's haring off on her scooter to meet a man who is about to marry her sis, she's dressed for the occasion, people stare at her... maybe she's  a runaway bride... again in nainital days this idea comes up... she was always a bride maybe.

anyway this large family stares at her and by way of explanation she says she's got a drama competition on at school and so is going dressed up as "rajkumari".

prompt comes the curious boy's question, so where's your rajkumar.

and a second later, the helicopter drone is in... rajkumar is here.

after this, the theme of what kind of a guy one wants to marry has come up, especially in the lovely conversation garima has with her daughters in 127 and 128...

she says in 127:
"aur kuch toh.. kuch toh shadiya itni jaldi jaldi tai ho jaati hai ki, hum apne aap se poochte rah jaate hain ki yeh jo bhi hum kar rahe hain kya sahi kar rahe hain? kaun hai yeh insaan jisske saath hum poori zindagi bitane ja rahe hain? hum toh theek tarah se isse jaante tak nahin... hazzaron sawal poochte hain... lekin jawab ek bhi nahin milta...  kahe? ki oo jawab zindagi jeekar hi milte hain... aur kabhi wahi rishte jeevan bhar ka saath ban jaate hain..."

"and some... some weddings get fixed so fast, that we are left asking ourselves that this what we are doing, is it even right? who is this person with whom we're going to spend our whole lives? we don't even know this person well... thousands of questions we ask... but not even one answer we find... why? because that answer is found by living this life... and sometimes that relationship becomes the mainstay of ones whole life..."

in 128, she completes her thought.

"jeevan mein halat kaise bhi ho achhe burey... koi faraq nahin padta... jeevan saathi achha hona chahiye. bas."

"whatever the conditions may be in life, good or bad... doesn't make a difference... one's life partner should be good, that's all."

shaitan/rajkumar doesn't come up but it's a beautiful chat about what makes a life partner... a hint that preconceived notions can come in the way... it's only after you live a life with a person the many questions you have about the one you marry get answered and that relationship becomes essential to existence along the way.

in 226 the rajkumar idea comes back, but this time with the added element of shaitan. is he beast, is he prince? while i did not like the choice of tale or perhaps more, the execution of the episode... i have to say there is a lovely idea it brings up...

they never spoke of this in the show, but there was a wondrous condition that had to be fulfilled if the prince had to be released from the curse in beauty and the beast.

someone had to love him as he was... ugly, unpolished, not at all rajkumar like... someone had to love him as the beast... only then would he be free of the curse.

belle loved the beast as he was... not because she thought he was the prince, not because he looked handsome, not because she was less scared, she loved his many virtues... she just loved him. that was all.

here too, khushi grew to love him for whatever he was... no matter how monstrous he appeared at times, she could sense his beauty, his loving heart, his conscience, even his kindness... the most touching sign of that came when he finally told her why he had married her. yes, she was at first enraged that he should think such a thing of her, but soon enough her entire concern became him, how bad he must be feeling, how she had to prove to him that this was not the case. she did this not to prove her innocence, but because she didn't want him to suffer. and later came the most poignant confession of love ever... without using the word love even once... her soliloquy about the feelings that grow in nafrat, in hatred... and feeling in all of that which says, give it a chance.

khushi went further than belle, she loved the beastly bits of her man and his essential prince. 

a sense of love beyond the pretty stories of princes and princesses all the time in ipk. perhaps that's why it was so real.

but back to beauty and the beast... after 226, the theme of shaitan/rajkumar continues in 242 during preeto's wedding... when khushi sees him with the bridegroom and realises he had a hand in the whole resolution of the problem.

"kaun hai yeh... shaitan yehi... rajkumar yehi... ek insaan ke do chehre... hum inhen kabhi samajh hi nahin paayenge, ek pal me itna pyaar... aur doosre pal mein inse itna dar lagta hai..."

"who is he... monster is he... prince is he... one person and two faces... i will never be able to understand him, in one instant so much love... in the next i feel so scared of him..."

words similar to what she'd wondered about in 225 when she saw him loving and gentle with his sister and recalled his uncalled for brutality with her the night before.

later she described asr to her mother as "duniya ke sabse achhe pati" the best husband in the world, attributing to him several rajkumar qualities... which no doubt he had. but again the beauty of it was that it wasn't true yet... and still she loved him... her own shaitan.

i have no idea if the rajkumar/shaitan thing was explored or alluded to later... but obviously 225 was the starting point of the exploration of asr in a more stated way, with her first ponderings on his complexity... his two sides.

in 226 this is made even more apparent using the beauty and the beast story... and through the gh track we will see shades of this exploration, how he seems to be one guy, but is in fact much more complex, nuanced.

the same man who without consulting anyone brusquely orders a whole airconditioner set up in someone else's house, is also sensitive to the elder's fears and needs... adjusts with things he feels he ought to, shows extreme respect to garima ji, bua ji, babu ji... and how sensitively he handles the issue of rations for the house.

khushi thinks he knows nothing about how the other half lives... that he looks down on the middle class but in fact, she starts seeing his virtues right here in this milieu, none of which she expected to find in him.

in the fairytale the beast would ask belle every night if she'd marry him and she'd say "no", because she could not go beyond his ugliness till she was ready to.

at gh he'd lie next to her night after night, so often a heart touching emotion in his eyes, a mix of regret remorse love helplessness and more, maybe his heart was asking khushi what he had wanted to ask that day not so far away... will you marry me.

Edited by indi52 - 10 years ago
aarwen thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: indi52

"my name is not my lord," replied the monster, "but beast; i don't love compliments, not i. i like people to speak as they think; and so do not imagine, i am to be moved by any of your flattering speeches. but you say you have got daughters. i will forgive you, on condition that one of them come willingly, and suffer for you. let me have no words, but go about your business, and swear that if your daughter refuse to die in your stead, you will return within three months."

~~~ jeanne-marie leprince de beaumont, beauty and the beast ~~~

would like to chat about raj kumar, shaitan, women and their expectations re whom they will marry and such stuff.

also about love meaning you gotta love the beast not just the prince...

i may not be too coherent...

completely whacked right now, back from a beautiful but strenuous trip, and two whiskies down... but 226 bothers me... got to place it in the structure somewhere.

one of the most stunning first episodes i have seen was ipk's... so full, so detailed and such a fabulous opener... key aspects of the story all there... except for shyam.

it starts on a wedding. weddings are a major concern in india... somehow there is this premium attached to it... our cultural norms are such, that no matter how educated or independent or "modern" or "westernised" we may be, girls are constantly being told about when they will get married, etc., also a notion of the prince or the raj kumar who will come to marry one.

of course, the prince is a constant in  most european fairy tales, perhaps all fairy tales.

in the idea of the raj kumar is perhaps the collective desire of women in what they look for in the man with whom they hope to make a permanent relationship.

first episode... she's haring off on her scooter to meet a man who is about to marry her sis, she's dressed for the occasion, people stare at her... maybe she's  a runaway bride... again in nainital days this idea comes up... she was always a bride maybe.

anyway this large family stares at her and by way of explanation she says she's got a drama competition on at school and so is going dressed up as "rajkumari".

prompt comes the curious boy's question, so where's your rajkumar.

and a second later, the helicopter drone is in... rajkumar is here.

after this, the theme of what kind of a guy one wants to marry has come up, especially in the lovely conversation garima has with her daughters in 127 and 128...

she says in 127:
"aur kuch toh.. kuch toh shadiya itni jaldi jaldi tai ho jaati hai ki, hum apne aap se poochte rah jaate hain ki yeh jo bhi hum kar rahe hain kya sahi kar rahe hain? kaun hai yeh insaan jisske saath hum poori zindagi bitane ja rahe hain? hum toh theek tarah se isse jaante tak nahin... hazzaron sawal poochte hain... lekin jawab ek bhi nahin milta...  kahe? ki oo jawab zindagi jeekar hi milte hain... aur kabhi wahi rishte jeevan bhar ka saath ban jaate hain..."

"and some... some weddings get fixed so fast, that we are left asking ourselves that this what we are doing, is it even right? who is this person with whom we're going to spend our whole lives? we don't even know this person well... thousands of questions we ask... but not even one answer we find... why? because that answer is found by living this life... and sometimes that relationship becomes the mainstay of ones whole life..."

in 128, she completes her thought.

"jeevan mein halat kaise bhi ho achhe burey... koi faraq nahin padta... jeevan saathi achha hona chahiye. bas."

"whatever the conditions may be in life, good or bad... dosen't make a difference... one's life partner should be good, that's all."

shaitan/rajkumar doesn't come up but it's a beautiful chat about what makes a life partner... a hint that preconceived notions can come in the way... it's only after you live a life with a person the many questions you have about the one you marry get answered and that relationship becomes essential to existence along the way.

in 226 the rajkumar idea comes back, but this time with the added element of shaitan. is he beast, is he prince? while i did not like the choice of tale or perhaps more, the execution of the episode... i have to say there is a lovely idea it brings up...

they never spoke of this in the show, but there was a wondrous condition that had to be fulfilled if the prince had to be released from the curse in beauty and the beast.

someone had to love him as he was... ugly, unpolished, not at all rajkumar like... someone had to love him as the beast... only then would he be free of the curse.

belle loved the beast as he was... not because she thought he was the prince, not because he looked handsome, not because she was less scared, she loved his many virtues... she just loved him. that was all.

here too, khushi grew to love him for whatever he was... no matter how monstrous he appeared at times, she could sense his beauty, his loving heart, his conscience, even his kindness... the most touching sign of that came when he finally told her why he had married her. yes, she was at first enraged that he should think such a thing of her, but soon enough her entire concern became him, how bad he must be feeling, how she had to prove to him that this was not the case. she did this not to prove her innocence, but because she didn't want him to suffer. and later came the most poignant confession of love ever... without using the word love even once... her soliloquy about the feelings that grow in nafrat, in hatred... and feeling in all of that which says, give it a chance.

khushi went further than belle, she loved the beastly bits of her man and his essential proince. 

a sense of love beyond the pretty stories of princes and princesses all the time in ipk. perhaps that's why it was so real.

but back to beauty and the beast... after 226, the theme of shaitan/rajkumar continues in 242 during preeto's wedding... when khushi sees him with the bridegroom and realises he had a hand in the whole resolution of the problem.

"kaun hai yeh... shaitan yehi... rajkumar yehi... ek insaan ke do chehre... hum inhen kabhi samajh hi nahin paayenge, ek pal me itna pyaar... aur doosre pal mein inse itna dar lagta hai..."

"who is he... monster is he... princess is he... one person and two faces... i will never be able to understand him, in one instant so much love... in teh next i feel so scared of him..."

words similar to what she'd wondered about in 225 when she saw him loving and gentle with his sister and recalled his uncalled for brutality with her the night before.

later she described asr to her mother as "duniya ke sabse achhe pati" the best husband in the world, attributing to him several rajkumar qualities... which no doubt he had. but again the beauty of it was that it wasn't true yet... and still she loved him... her own shaitan.

i have no idea if the rajkumar/shaitan thing was explored or alluded to later... but obviously 225 was the starting point of the exploration of asr in a more stated way, with her first ponderings on his complexity... his two sides.

in 226 this is made even more apparent using the beauty and the beast story... and through the gh track we will see shades of this exploration, how he seems to be one guy, but is in fact much more complex, nuanced.

the same man who without consulting anyone brusquely orders a whole airconditioner set up in someone else's house, is also sensitive to the elder's fears and needs... adjusts with things he feels he ought to, shows extreme respect to garima ji, bua ji, babu ji... and how sensitively he handles the issue of rations for the house.

khushi thinks he knows nothing about how the other half lives... that he looks down on the middle class but in fact, she starts seeing his virtues right here in this milieu, none of which she expected to find in him.

in the fairytale the beast would ask belle every night if she'd marry him and she'd say "no", because she could not go beyond his ugliness till she was ready to.

at gh he'd lie next to her night after night, so often a heart touching emotion in his eyes, a mix of regret remorse love helplessness and more, maybe his heart was asking khushi what he had wanted to ask that day not so far away... will you marry me.

Indi di it is a deep thought that you presented. yes 226 definitely had something off. They were trying to portray some feeling but the premise just did not seem right. 

Anyway  can't help getting a bit personal here hope it doesn't get too boring. At 25 years already married 4 years to a boy I met in my first day of college and rarely spoke to in the next 1.5 years only to finally fall in love and marry right out of college...got a best friend for life in the process.. touch wood..  I still get carried away by the magical love portrayed  in books movies.. in IPK all the time .. yes ASR looks so attractive on screen. Would he be an easy person to live with? I don't think so. But would Khushi have it any other way? No. Remember the dream where she wore the green and yellow saree how Shyaam was overly sweet and it had no effect while ASR was simply ASR and still it created all the dhak dhaks.. Garima was so right when she said that it takes living with a person to understand how happy you can be. Not sure if it is an Indian thing or all girls all over the world are this way that we get caught up in fairytales and rabba ve love and then maybe nothing in life can match up to that. But the trick is to find our own rabba ve's whenever we can get them.

My heart goes to Arnav in the GH scenes with garima and buaji. He did not intentionally want to hurt any feelings by getting the new the AC etc. And when he says "Buaji main khata bhi toh bahut hun aur aap khilati bhi toh bahut hai". Such familiarity and ease. I love the scene. And buaji and Garima are exactly how in laws are. Sometimes too loud and sometimes scared. Men do get angry or uncomfortable but the women helps out. Here Khushi made things worse but Arnav himself understood the emotions and made things right. To me that is always the rajkumar. Maybe am just biased but except for the anger he always had no other vice as far as I can see. Though some of his acts did need a big heart filled with love to forgive him.

And your reminder of the first episode has me in tears.. 

Pardon my ramblings but Indi di your post struck a chord with what is essentially a constant battle in me .. the search for fairytale in reality.