'Ekta's language differs from mine'

Anashah1980 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Majethia intervi
'Ekta's language differs from mine'
14 Jul 2008, 0000 hrs IST, PRERNA SHAH ,TNN

J D Majethia (TOI Photo) More Pics
Every production house has its own language. It reflects in the quality of work that they produce.

Perhaps with J D Majethia, who?s the producer behind successful and popular serials like Ba, Bahoo Aur Baby, Sarabhai Vs Sarabhai, Instant Khichdi, it is his belief in a ?simple life? that results into the serials that have very real to life characters and ?as little melodrama as possible, sans ostentatious characters or settings.?

In fact says Majethia, one of his serials called Remote Control, which will soon be on air after being pulled off temporarily is about how ?television enters a middle class family?s life and changes their lifestyle. When the family becomes the subject of a channel?s reality show, the channel moves them into a bungalow saying that on television; even middle class families flaunt bungalows! I believe that television robs people of their simplicity and contentment in life by creating wants and needs that are not fulfilled by their incomes.?

A startling comment by a television producer? But then, Majethai says, ?I grew up in an environment where simple pleasures of life were appreciated. My parents were very rooted and disciplined. For a part of my childhood, we didn?t own a television set. Now when I am into production of serials, I ensure that they are the ones which provide clean entertainment; we don?t indulge in cheap humour or believe in running people down. Our values as a production house are different.?

So what does he think about his contemporaries What about Ekta Kapoor, and her serials? ?We are progressing as a society but some things on television are in a regressive mode. As for Ekta Kapoor, she speaks a language different than mine. I credit her with bringing about a revolution in the television industry; I appreciate the risks she has taken. But yes, our sensibilities are poles apart.?

But what about allegations against him that he?s very stingy as a producer? Recently some unit members complained that they hadn?t been given a chance to do sightseeing while in Singapore and that he pays actors half of what other production houses pay. ?I admit that there wasn?t much time on hand when we shot in Singapore for one of my serials. It was raining and I had to complete shooting within a stipulated time. However, I did manage to give the staff one day free after the shooting was done. As for the other allegation, would anyone agree to work for so less remuneration? Because I have been very successful and am known for my quality, actors might take about 10 to 15 per cent less for an opportunity to work with me, but no one would agree to 50 per cent less,? says Majethia candidly.

ew