Anashah1980 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

TV STAR TRAIL

Casting couch exists….
by Vidhya Krishnan
Jul 04, 2008, Bangalore

Casting Couch –

Does it exist or doesn't it? Is it a fabrication of imagination or are there truly predators waiting to lynch on wannabe's who want to make a break into the world of glitz and glamour? The "casting couch" concept in many respects is connotative of the entertainment industry, but may apply to any industry for which entry is highly desirable and competitive. Definitely not a fabrication of imagination, it exists and we caught up with our telly stars to unearth their views…

Divyanka Tripathy –

I think it is more for the actress. But one thing is clear that it is not a forceful act but self approved and nobody can pull you into it. It is a personal choice and it is not wrong if one does willingly. I thank God I didn't have to go through anything like that and I was very scared before I stepped in this industry. I am from Bhopal and from a middle class family. I have been lucky enough because things came my way and worked for me. And I am pretty laid back and it is not hard and fast that I desperately go running for work.

Kiran Dubey –

It is not only in this industry but exists in each and every field. Even men go through this and I know a few of them. It is unfortunate that some people are put in such situations to get their dreams and I can only pity them. Nobody has ever dared to ask me anything but one or two times there were instances when few of them almost crapped with me but with just one look that I gave, they got petrified. I may choose to be with a beggar but I don't like it if people dictate terms on me. I am not so dumb to choose this way to get work done. I have my potentials and I believe in them and that is how one can grow. One may choose the short cut; initially it may be rosy but later on you are sure to come down. Having faith in self and working hard towards it can get you reach the sky and there is no better way. People are blinded with the thought that success is about money but there is something above that which people don't realize…I mean values

go out to prove themselves and with the lack of shrewdness are misused in the process. I think people need to be wise to exist in the present day. Especially girls need to be careful about whom they are hanging out with and make sure that they go with people whom they really trust. Staying away from toxicants helps in not getting yourself pushed in such situations. It is also better if you have a guard and be sensitive to who is watching you. I suggest that schools have classes that counsel students on a professional and personal level. Also parents should have faith in their kids at the same time inculcate values and also keep a watch on what they do. Give them the freedom and make sure that they don't misuse it.

Itishree Singh –

May be it exists but I have not been through it. It is a personal choice and depends on the individual who is making the choice and the comfort level of the person. It is like business and I feel the existence is more in cinema because someone puts so much money and expects something in return. But personally I don't favour it.

Ashita Dhawan –

When I entered this industry, I didn't know what a Casting couch means and also didn't know that the term compromise also means the same. Initially when I got work I was particular about getting into TV and not movies and there was this person who offered me with some role and told that I have to make some compromise. I was not aware about his meaning of compromise and assumed that it could be extra working hours, money and stuff like that but he could sense that I didn't understand and explained and I was clear that I am not so desperate to get work that way. Only later I got the meaning from my sister.

People who are put in such situations are usually who come from small towns. We are not aware in what circumstances people get into this. But it is sad that they give in to achieve their dream. In my opinion most of them in the movies go through this to get what they want.

Sumeet Raghavan –

I really think it exists. In fact guys are on danger It is common in all the fields and just not this field since it is glamorous and people like to know more about it. It is up to a person to get into a situation like that but we don't know in what situation people are put into and it is better we don't talk about something which we are not aware about. But I sincerely pray for such people.

Angad Hasija –

I don't think such a thing exists and people come up with their own talent.

Kinshuk Mahajan –

It exists everywhere, because of the media, the existence in this field is obvious. It differs from person to person and only fools get into it. Nobody can force you and it is out of your will that you end up making a choice.

Indraneil Sen Gupta –

I have heard of it but not faced it. In my opinion people out of desperation to achieve give in and fall into this. The existence is present everywhere and not just this field.