Shahbaaz khan --interview

Shruti11 thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Being bad is good

TALL, strapping Shahbaaz Khan's deep baritone makes an impact even long distance. A character actor who'd had a larger-than-life image on screen admits that "costume shows and historicals are physically more challenging than the usual saas bahu sagas. I started with Hyder Ali in Tipu Sultan, and it continues to be my favourite role." He did get bored after a point. "God has been kind to me and just when I was playing enough historical roles, I got to do romantic roles and the transition has been good for me," says smiling Shahbaaz. He played the handsome prince in Chandrakanta and even did lead roles opposite Sangeeta Bijlani in Chandni, Ashwini in Yug and Bhagyashree in Chaand – all TRP topping shows.
   Shahbaz who has played a lead character in more than 30 serials, says, "People don't imagine me in a submissive role. So I play strong roles. At a time when TV shows are women-oriented, I am lucky to get roles which enable me to hold my own." Playing the bad guy with a sense of humour in Mere Apne (9x) has won him "compliments from fans, saying they loved me. I thought they were supposed to hate me!"
   He even candidly confesses that like every actor he had thought of a Bollywood career, only things didn't work out the way he wanted it to. Quiz him about a character he identifies with and he says, "I identify with the Hussain Baba because he is a very supportive father. I am very different in real life. I have two wonderful daughters whom I love the most. I am a doting father and a onewoman man; family means everything to me. I can't live a moment without their thought."
   Music is very close to his heart. He is the son of legendary Ustaad Amir Khan and holds concerts in his father's memory each year. Also a play based on Dr Iqbal, one of the greatest poets of India, who composed Sare Jaha Se accha is close to his heart. "I will take this play as far as possible," he asserts.
   Very soon you will see Shahbaaz playing Akbar in an Akbar Birbal series being developed for the internet and mobile. "I play Akbar who is a Mumbai don and Birbal is his right hand. We enact the same jokes that actually happened between Akbar and Birbal but in a different form," adds Khan. With so much lined up, we ask him what he feels like now that he's crossed 40 and he retorts, "I am 42, but people say I look younger than my age." He is a self-confessed foodie but maintains his physique by working out. "I keep a check on my weight and the battle of the bulge is always on," he says with a rueful sigh.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Shruti11 thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

i got this interview from another forum

viewbies note: never mind

Edited by its me tan - 15 years ago