No bad vibes for Sonu Nigam: Babul Supriy

-misha thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 18 years ago
Singer Babul Supriyo has said he has no bad vibes with compatriot Sonu Nigam, emphasising that the latter was once his best friend in Mumbai.

"I've the highest regard for Sonu. He was at one time my best friend in Mumbai. Today things seem to have soured irreversibly between us. What happened at Aadesh Shrivastava's birthday party was the last straw," Supriyo told IANS.

"The fight goes back to the copyright law for musicians. At a meeting of the musicians' association on Sep 3, I felt Sonu, Javed (Akhtar) saab and others were getting excessively idealistic and melodramatic by terming singers as bonded labourers.

"Once upon a time, Lataji fought to get singers a share of royalty for every recorded song. Mohammad Rafi saab had opposed her stance. Today when Sonu claims to have taken over Lataji's fight, I realise how Rafi saab must have felt," he said.

"That day at Aadesh's party, all hell broke loose. Abhijeet, Shaan, Alka (Yagnik) and I were talking in a corner. I was telling Alkaji's brother Bunty that the royalty issue is null and void since any singer can quietly sign up for any deal with a big producer without anyone being wiser.

"Alkaji marched up to Sonu to inform him of our conversation. Before I knew it, Sonu came charging at me and hurled abuses. To cover up, I asked the deejay to play the music louder. Then I left."

Supriyo said singers needed to unite to fight for better payments. "But we can't twist producers' arms for money. I sang my title song in 'Hum Tum' for just Rs.7,000 and I have no regrets. It was a turning point for me.

Sonu Nigam"Sonu himself says he sang for 'Kal Ho Na Ho' for free. Why? When he insists on royalty what sense does it make to sing for a big producer like Karan Johar for free? Why not charge the people who can afford it and instead give some poor producer a free song?"

Supriyo said Sonu didn't know it but a lot of singers who pretend to support him on the royalty issue actually sniggered behind his back. "He calls us singers bonded labourers," he noted.

"Anyone who backs our talent is good enough to support us. That's why we are all running after Yash Chopra. If Rakesh Roshan asks me to sing for a show I can't demand Rs.300,000 from him first. He pulled me out of the doldrums and changed my career with 'Kaho Na...'

"Today if someone offers Abhijeet Sawant a chance to sing for a film like 'Hum Tum' or 'Kal Ho Na Ho' for Rs.10 milion, which would he choose? If I choose to sing for fame rather than money it doesn't mean Sonu can call me names like traitor and bad mango.

"I kept quiet all the time. But enough is enough," Supriyo said.

Supriyo also alleged Sonu had made rude remarks about Lata Mangeshkar at a recent function.

"Every artiste's struggle is individual. Madonna has written that she slept her way to the top. Some of us weep our way to success. If Amitabh Bachchan can ask Yash Chopra for 'Mohabbatein' why can't I ask Aditya Chopra for a 'Hum Tum' without discussing money? My company TIPS has spent Rs.5-6 million to promote my new album. I can't be obnoxious with them by making counter-demands...

"And look at the kind of SMS Sonu is sending. He has gone live on radio to lambaste me. What has happened to him? He cannot harm my career. He's a great singer. If I'm good, no one can stop me. I'm not in competition with him," Supriyo said.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

SuperGrl126301 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
WHOOOO GO BABUL!!!!!!! I like that fighter attitude. Nd i neva really like sonu ne way