10 Ka Dum Salman’s blog

Gur.N.cool thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 15 years ago

Today is a special day and I am looking forward to it whole-heartedly. Tonight I will feel even closer to those who love me and closer also to those who do not. Starting tonight, every weekend I will make you meet one of us, common people but very special and charming people. Special because they are real, spontaneous because they are simple, guileless…whatever they do they do straight from the heart, at the spur of the moment. And that is beautiful. It is full of laughter, good cheer and like I said before it is my Shukrana to you - the millions of my fans and people who shower me with so much love. I've got so much from you and I want to give something back! You know, when I started out as a professional actor, my only ambition was to have Rs.10 lakhs in my bank account. Today, I have the chance to give back not 1lakh not 10 lakhs but a full 10 crores and make someone really really happy! Five questions are fielded to two contestants and the one who answers right goes on to play with me. They take back at least Rs.10,000 and play on for a chance to Rs.10 Crores, the highest amount on Indian television. The best part is that in my show you don't have to be a genius or super intelligent, you just have to think – think like a common Indian!

Starting tonight we will play 10 Ka Dum!! The spirit of our times is expressed in the two words 'Dus' & 'Dum'. I believe, the title of a show or film is the first thing that reaches the audience. In most cases their initial impression proves to be the last impression. 10 Ka Dum - the name itself has been instantly liked - probably because of its sound, the sound that echoes the great zest of the youth. Today's youth form the 'damdar' generation. And like the youth, the title has no pretensions and clearly signals it out from 'dhyan gyan' shows. I like it most because it is simple, everybody understands 'Dum'. It's a favorite with the janta. I take it as life force or inner strength. It also means physical strength. The opposite of 'Dum' is 'Bedum', which means lifeless. This title has a force of its own and Sajid-Wajid's title track has become an instant hit.

During rehearsals I realized that when the computer shows the right answer, the up and down movement of the indicator is full of suspense – it brings out an expression of hope and anticipation on the faces of the contestants. This process really energizes them and as an anchor I too feel the same thrill because like my contestants I have no idea of the right answer. This element of suspense is really enjoyable.

So join me in playing 10 Ka Dum tonight…on Sony Entertainment Television.

It is not just about the game. It is all about you and me…

Edited by gursharan - 15 years ago