Gurinder Chadha honoured in Canada

-misha thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 18 years ago

Being a coloured woman in a medium dominated by white men has enriched her works, says British Indian filmmaker Gurinder Chadha who was awarded for her achievements here.

She was honoured at the annual Women in Film and Television-Toronto (WIFT-T) reception.

"One of the things that's so nice is when women tell me, 'You really inspire us, you moved me to make this film,'" Chadha said. She said being a woman of colour working in a medium dominated by white males has added richness to the stories she tells.

Former Soviet Union-born emerging filmmaker Anita Doron, who won the 2005 Kodak New Vision Fellowship, was also honoured at the event. Doron will be mentored for the next few months by celebrated director Deepa Mehta and Maple Pictures co-president Laurie May.

She will also receive $3,000 worth of Kodak Motion Picture film stock.

"I was very much influenced by Deepa Mehta's 'Fire', so to be mentored by her is so fantastic," said Doron, receiving the award presented by Mehta at the event.

WIFT-T is an internationally affiliated industry organisation that recognises, trains and advances women in screen-based media.