Sudhir Pandey on his bit of luck -article

Shariefah thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
A little bit of luck
Veteran theatre and TV actor Sudhir Pandey speaks from the heart

On the job Sudhir Pandey feels acting cannot be mastered in a lifetime
There have been many victims of Bollywood formula who have found sustenance in television. One of them is Sudhir Pandey. Son of legendary radio figure Devki Nandan Pandey, Sudhir is now seen in a central role in Sahara One's "Mera Sasural ". "I always wanted to be an actor and started with theatre. My father, who also had similar dreams, which were not fulfilled understood my feelings but warned me of the risks involved. He asked to get proper training. I joined Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) in 1974. There I realised that acting can't be mastered in a lifetime. You learn on the job," says Sudhir."Those were the times when heroes and heroines ruled and actors got to play father or brother. Om was fortunate that he got a tailor-made role in 'Ardh Satya'. I am still looking for a challenge," laments Sudhir. He got an important role in Dulal Guha's "Dhuan" which starred Mithun Chakraborty but it flopped and Sudhir was marked unlucky.

"Self publicity and luck play great role in this industry and I am weak on both the counts. Acting is such a profession where you need somebody to back your talent and put money on you."

Financial necessity forced him to do bit roles. "Here theatre saved me otherwise I would have gone into depression. It provided me a creative outlet. I met Kaifi Azmi, M.S. Sathyu and A.K. Hangal and it convinced me there is space for me beyond the formula. In the meantime, I did small roles in 'Shaan' and 'Shakti'. Ramesh Sippy liked my work and offered me Gaindalal's role in 'Buniyaad'."

It opened new vistas for Sudhir but his screen age took a leap. "I hardly ever got to play a young man after that. It gets repetitive at times."

Talking about his role in "Mera Sasural", Sudhir says, "I play the head of the family who becomes a devotional singer because of the circumstances. He sings all his life in temples and gradually becomes a sought after singer. He gives so many performances that his voice gives way. His family dissuades him from singing but he says: 'I started because of necessity, now when I have everything I want to sing out of devotion'."

Sudhir continues to enjoy theatre. "I am working with Makrand Deshpande and Manav Kaul." Despite films like "Mathrubhoomi", "Haasil" and "Anwar" to his credit, Sudhir is frank enough to admit he has not done any memorable role in films. "My memorable roles are in plays like 'Kasturi', 'Ek Aur Dronacharya', 'Devvanar Hanuman' and 'Motiram Ka Satyagraha' and serials like 'Wah Janab', 'Amanat' and 'Manoranjan'."

http://www.thehindu.com (Banglore Edition, May 6, 2008)

Edited by Shariefah - 15 years ago