City girl shines on Bollywood firmament

Miss_QueTee thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 18 years ago
Tribune News Service Panchkula, November 15
She is a beauty with brains. Karishma Randeva, the sprightly young girl, who has attained instant stardom with her portrayal of Sonu in 'Kahani Ghar Ghar Ki', and as the female lead in the movie 'Ants', is all set to reach out for the stars. Taking a break from her hectic shooting schedule for various Balaji serials, and in city for the national premiere of her first film — 'Ants', she seemed relaxed and enjoying the adulation at home. "All my friends and associates have been calling me up and congratulating me for giving a very spontaneous performance as Sonu in 'Kahani...' and as Sakshi in 'Kkusum', and I am enjoying every bit of it," she says. In fact, acting just happened by chance for Karishma. Till last year, she was working her way to be a genetic engineer. She had just finished her B.Sc in biophysics, when she casually went in for the audition of 'Ants' and was instantly selected. "I could not believe it myself, when I was selected as the female lead of the film. Coming from an orthodox family, it took me a lot of time to convince my father to allow me to act in the film. But since then, there has been no looking back. I got roles in the Balaji Telefilms serials, and thus my destiny changed," she says. Karishma says that her friends had persuaded her to participate in the Miss Monte Carlo contest three years ago. She won the title as also that of Ms Talented in the contest and life took a different turn. She featured in some music videos and had also attained a reputation as a professional compere in Chandigarh, when 'Ants' happened. "But even then my priority was studies and between the shooting of the film, I would be engrossed in my books. In fact, I had gone to Mumbai in August last year, after I had taken admission in M.Sc, for attending my nephew's first birthday, and somebody suggested that I audition for 'Kahani...' Since then, there has been no looking back," she says. On how she could identify with the characters that she has portrayed so far, she says that the character of Sonu is what is quite like her when she was a teenager. "Most of the utterances of Sonu are not scripted and I do it spontaneously, because that is what I used to do as a teenager," she says.

About her future plans, and she says that a masala Bollywood film and another serial with Balaji Telefilms are on the cards.