~Sirius*Ysh~ thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

So this weeks discussion topic... PoV aka Point Of Veiws... all of you know ther are two points of views that can be written on (the thirs being highly weird to write on!)

Wlll so thaere is the third person and the first person...

Whis PoV appeal most to you during reading?

Which PoV appeals to you while writing?

Is writing one PoV easier/tougher thnan the other? what and why?

Cheers!

Writers corner Dev Team!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Eloquent thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Lolzz....I think I love the third person PoV the most probably cause I've started reading books with that PoV.

3rd person pov usually gives u personal thoughts of your protagonist....yet at the same time u can just take in thoughts of other characters as well...so it doesn't get too boring with only one person's thoughts been shown!

I find "I did this...I did that" I bit too binding...it binds you to only 1 character!
~Sirius*Ysh~ thumbnail
Well third person PoVs are the most effective in reading and riting.... as u said its like easy to switch between ur charecs and give an over all perspective...

I tried writing a 1st person once and got bored with the lack of perspective... and thirs person seems the best out of the dell.. though first person is very good for colocial.. there are hardly any who can pull it off!!
Morgoth thumbnail
There are 3 points of view - first, second and third.

I would disagree that the first person is a difficult form to use while writing. In fact, first and third are the simplest and most commonly used forms.

I personally enjoy reading and writing in the first and third person.

The first person can limit your perspective, but it makes you feel closer to the character.

The third person can allow you to switch perspectives easily and is the most flexible.

The second person - the "You" form - is not only challenging to write in, but difficult to read. I personally don't enjoy reading stories in the second person. It would take a very skilled writer to pull it off.
~Sirius*Ysh~ thumbnail
I agree with you on the second person thing... i have tried reading it and it feels either weird or strage... I dont connect with second person stories...

As for first person Im speaking from experience... I ahve tried and finished a first person story and at the end of it I just don't like the limitations it has... I would like to be free and exploreinsights into all my charectors instead of sticking to one charector...

But well first person can be a great exposure to charector building
Eloquent thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: ~Sirius*Ysh~

I agree with you on the second person thing... i have tried reading it and it feels either weird or strage... I dont connect with second person stories...

As for first person Im speaking from experience... I ahve tried and finished a first person story and at the end of it I just don't like the limitations it has... I would like to be free and exploreinsights into all my charectors instead of sticking to one charector...

But well first person can be a great exposure to charector building

First and second person stories also feel weird to read because I haven't read many of them and now i just can't relate too much to the "I did this I did that" sentences even less to the "You go through it.....you come ut of the tunnel" ones.
~Sirius*Ysh~ thumbnail
ahh well ye first person is a little weird... but i read one 2nd person and boy was that weird!!!

I mean i was reading a "You are standing in front of a mirror... you look at your black hair..."

it will definately require a skilled autohor to pull this one off!!!!
-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
I'll go with third person because then I get to read about what all the characters are thinking... I wouldn't want to know just what one person feels about everyone but I would want to know the reality as the third person narrator would be able to tell more.

Though I love first person too.... It goes way in depth with one character which comes really close to the readers mind. 

So I don't think either one is better its just what the writer feels better with.  Also depends on the story.
~Sirius*Ysh~ thumbnail
well dats a point... eventualy it depends on d way it is writen
Morgoth thumbnail
Another rare POV is the First Person Plural, where instead of using the "I" form, the author uses the "we" form.

I recommend reading "A Rose for Emily" by William Faulkner. It uses the "we" form very successfully. Brilliant piece.

You can read it online here: http://www.ariyam.com/docs/lit/wf_rose.html