dures thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
Soha Ali Khan - The Star Kid Grows Up

She's got to live up to standards set by mom Sharmila Tagore and brother Saif Ali Khan - besides her dad in the world of cricket. When the male Khans matter so much, she has to prove that the female of the species is no less.

Soha Ali Khan's first three films Dil Maange More, Pyaar Mein Twist and Shaadi No.1 went for a toss but Soha was fourth (and fifth) time lucky with Rang De Basanti and her Bengali film Antarmahal. And now Soha is all set to prove that she has it what it takes with her meaty turn in Sudhir Mishra's Khoya Khoya Chand.

Excerpts from an interview:

Would you say that a meaty role like Khoya Khoya Chand was offered to you only after Rang De Basanti and Antarmahal?
Soha:
Yes, the offers got more varied. I did a solo film, Ahista Ahista, a film special to me but unsuccessful. The challenge in that role was that I have always been a very confident person and my character had to be under-confident and radiate fear and nervousness. But in Khoya Khoya Chand I get to do everything in one film - sing, dance, laugh, cry, seduce and do the whole spectrum like the classical Hindi film heroines of yore.

You have gone all out to look and be Nikhat, the starlet who turns into a superstar. Is the role modelled on any actress of the '40s or '50s?
Soha: It's not, but because it is a tribute to that era and its people I guess they have incorporated incidents from the lives of those stars. Well, I did go all out to exploit the resources - we begged, borrowed and stole genuine garments and accessories from mom as well as Begum Para-ji, the '40s siren who is mother-in-law to the film's dress designer Niharika Khan.

The bouffant came in, as did the tight sarees and the sleeveless blouses. And the character's dresses acquired finesse as she moved up from junior artiste to star. I took lessons in Urdu, body language and Kathak - though Urdu is spoken at home. I actually also watched some 200 DVDs that Sudhir-ji sent over for me to watch the cinema of that era!

Does your brother Saif ever advise you in professional matters?
Soha: He is experienced enough to read my scripts and visualize the film and its outcome, and it is sensible to take advantage of that. There have been times when I have got carried away, for example, by a filmmaker telling me that a script has been written with only me in mind and Saif has been able to see through that and tell me, "Soha, this is rubbish!" And he has been right each time!

Is your family prone to give you feedback too on your films and work?
Soha: Yes, I get a feedback on everything from both Saif and my mother.

Saif till now has never worked with your mother on screen, though she did cameos in his Aashik Aawara and Eklavya. You have an advantage there.
Soha: I am really looking forward to Aparna Sen's Jewellery Box, in which I work with mom - but yes, I have already done an ad film with her.

How similar and how different are both of you?
Soha: We have a lot of common interests - like we enjoy the same books, are crossword addicts - we exchange clues on SMS even if we are in different cities, and are extroverts. We both understand that personal freedom is primarily all about responsibility too. But there are some really major differences as well!

My mother wears her heart on her sleeve, and is quite hot-tempered on occasion. I take after my father and am cool and diplomatic.

But the most glaring difference is that my mother has balanced career, home and so many activities so perfectly and is extremely organized, unlike me! So Mom is always chiding me for not paying sufficient attention to my looks and my mix-n-match wardrobe! She keeps reminding me that I am a public figure and feels that I am too casual and need to organize my wardrobe well to match every occasion and always look well groomed and immaculate like her.

You also have a sister who's not into films?
Soha:
Yeah, and do you know what? It was she as a kid who was keenest on watching films! Neither Saif nor I were remotely interested in Hindi films. But my sister does not have the temperament that suits an actor.

And how did you leap from a bank employee to a star?
Soha: Well, at the right time I thought that it was the right thing to do. It was an unexpected decision but well, I am happy that I took it.

Why have you never gone South unlike so many present-day heroines?
Soha: The languages would be a problem for me. But yes, I would love to work with some of the directors there - some of them are among the best in the country. Maybe I will think about it if I get an exceptional role with one of them the Bengali half of me automatically orients me towards strong female roles, with an inclination to work for art's sake more than for money!

So what's coming next?
Soha: I am doing Asthavinayak's comedy Run Bhola Run with Govinda - apart from him and the hilarious script, the title alone cracked me up. I am doing UTV's K-11, an intelligent horror film, Sudhir-ji's Tera Kya Hoga Johnny with Neil Nitin Mukesh and Kay Kay Menon and Nishikant Kamat's Mumbai Meri Jaan.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

wezyus thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
hope she will be better than her mom ...thnks