2nd class citizens

simikr thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 16 years ago

Why are women still considered 2nd class citizens?

I know that it is difficult  to change an age old mindset, but despite being educated and from well to do families women still are considered less than men!!!😡

The dowry custom still continues though it has no meaning in the current day and age. The girl may be better educated and earn more than the boy......

I saw in MEKALA that they were celebrating the birth of a MALE child and in VASANTHAM a new serial, the well educated husband cannot bear that his wife earns more than him... he wants a divorce!!! even though the marriage was a love marriage!!

How will the society change for the better when this is shown on prime time TV?!!! Young girls will continue to feel as if they are the underdogs!! How I long to see something different in the media!!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Caryn thumbnail
Simi

This is the question we have been asking all the while. But we could not reach a conclusion.

There are lots of topics opened similarity to this in the forum. Some said boycott, some said write to the directors, etc. Different people gave different views.

Producers/Directors won't change unless we change. Do you know even educated women identifying themselves with the serials. Making their serials to No. 1 spot.

We may deny it, but some things are happening in real life. This story I am going to tell you is based on a true story. A bank manager fell in luv with a guy and guess what is his profession - a car driver in the same bank. They were dating for months and finally they got married and everything was a bliss is what you have expected. But far from it. 6 months down the road, the man decided to leave his job. Reason given she is earning a better salary and he is not. He wants to find new job so that he can support her and not the other way round.

Then, she got promoted, so of course she had to concentrate on the job. Meanwhile, husband at home - being house husband. Well, that is what she believed. One day she came home, she found a woman in her house. She was shocked. Only to find out much later, the husband was having an affair and not only that he married the other woman without her knowledge. This has been going on for months. Husband accuses her of lack of her attention, made him turn to another woman. He is a man, has needs blah blah.............

He then had the cheek to tell her that as his first wife it is her inbound Islamic duty to support him and the second wife because he is jobless. She being so called good wife - actually agreed!! Imagine a educated Bank Manager.   ðŸ˜¡   Finally, she could take it because of her husband's and the woman's behaviour, she finally divorced him 2 years later.

During this time, she suffered alot esp emotionally. No peace of mind, no space, practically nothing.

I am sure if this woman is watching Vasantham, she will identify herself with the wife. She will be a engrossed to the serial.
sankadevi30 thumbnail
Simi,

this is happening to women from time immemorial.

Do u all read mankayar malar?

there is a good series going on this matter by sugi sivam which has encured the wrath of conservationalists
😛