Karan Grover Interview-Article

punjabikudy thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
"I Want to be an actor All my Life"

Open to doing films, actor Karan Grover says young filmmakers' aproach to cinema is fresh; they know what the audience wants.

Let's start with your character in 'Saarthi'
His name is Arjun Goenka and he's one of the most humane sort of guys around. His sensitive nature is both his positive as well as negative character. He's an idealistic guy feels bad if people close to him try to cheat him or someone else in the family. He's clean-hearted and there's a certain innocence about him. He even forgives and gets carried away by someone who tries to cheat him. He's very close to his bhabhi and treats her like his elder sister. She's like his mentor and explains things to him about family ties. She gets him back on track every time he tends to stray. Arjun has a close pal, Keshav. He's responsible for the slight calculating and manipulative trait in Arjun.

How much of Arjun are you in real life?
Only 50 per cent! (laughs). Arjun trusts people soon. I'm not like that at all. Arjun is very sensitive and emotional and it's very easy to manipulate him. It's a little difficult to manipulate Karan (laughs). Arjun is very clean-hearted and will never think of the negative implications if he goes out with a girl. Another major difference is that Arjun is clean-shaven while Karan has a stubble. I hate shaving (laughs). But I'm forced to shave every morning before the shoot. But I guess the clean-shaven image goes well with the sweet-looking-and-lovable-guy image. Looking the character is half the job done.

Any other serial happening?
The only problem is playing the main protagonist in a daily doesn't give much time for anything else. Obviously, I have to do a main lead in the other serial as well. 'Saarthi' requires me to shoot for about 20 days a month. I would also like to give my all to one
serial. That way there are no date hassles and any sort of hassle with the producer. I like to have everything worked out in advance. But if I were to be offered a strong character like Arjun then I wouldn't mind juggling two to three serials at a time.

Do you look forward to your off days?
(Laughs) There are times when I just shoot for 15 days a month. The rest of the days I'm just chilling out while there are days where I'm shooting 20 hours a day. An actor has to learn to sit idle and still keep himself entertained throughout. There are times when I finish my first shot in the morning and the next shot is after a long gap. I'm expected to just hang around the sets and keep my energy levels going for the late evening shoot.

How about films?
I'd love to do films especially the new generation films. I'd love to do films like 'Hum Tum', 'Dil Chahta Hain' and 'Bunty aur Babli'. The young filmmakers have such a fresh approach to cinema. They know what the today's audience wants. They even allow the audience to think and arrive at their own conclusions. I'd feel on top of the world if a good film offer comes my way.

What do you do after work?
I work out (laughs). I watch at least two films per week in the theatre and at least two films at home. I don't party much; I get bored. There's nobody I want to show off to that I party nor any place that I haven't visited. I love working and would love to work 30 days a month. The ideal day for me would be to have a 9 to 5 shoot, come home, freshen up and go to the gym, shower, have my dinner and sleep. I spend time with my family as and when I can.

How about a girlfriend?
I wouldn't mind that. If this article gets me one, it would be great.

Surely you have your share of passionate encounters with women!
No, I'm a very idealistic boy like Arjun (laughs).

What about your future plans?
Wow! I don't know. I want to be an actor all my life and would love to do films too; both foreign and festival circuit films. I'll definitely act for the next 30 years and then maybe I'll switch to script-writing. I would also love to see myself driving a BMW or Jaguar. I don't believe too much in marriage. Maybe I will when I meet the right person. I look at marriage as something convenient as our society does not permit live-in relationships.

some more

Karan Grover plays Arjun in Asit Modi's serial Saarthi on Star Plus. Grover, who made his acting debut with this afternoon soap, is also a VJ for Zee Music.

At the moment, the show's track has him breaking off from his lady love Bhavri (Neha Devi Singh). Grover describes himself as a true film buff which is what hooked him on to acting. Here's asking the actor 10 things his fans would like to know…

What's your star sign?
I'm a Cancer-Gemini cusp.

Do you believe in astrology and numerology?
Not exactly. I don't specifically believe in them. I can't simply do what others instruct me to do.

For what did you get your first pay cheque and how much?
I worked for the Kora Kendra Navarati Utsav at Borivili for which I was paid Rs 300.

What's your favourite smell?
The smell of petrol and of the smoke after bursting firecrackers during Diwali.

Which place in Mumbai would you rather be staying?
I stay at Mira Road; but I'd rather stay at Carter Road or Pali Hill at Bandra.

What's your style statement?
Something that you are comfortable in.

Where were you born and which school did you go to?
I was born in Mumbai, and studied at St Xavier's School, Andheri.

What's the one thing you're really bad at?
There are actually many things! Cooking, shopping and putting the clothes neatly together, are some!

What is your dream role?
To do a James Bond kind of role.

How often do you say 'I love you'?
Never. Have said it once, but no longer.

PS---Heyy...Dont forget to use the thank-you button!
Edited by punjabikudy - 16 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

_Hira_89 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Some actor he wants to be when he leaves all his shows in the middle of nowhere.
aneesfathima15 thumbnail
pls Karan come back to saarathi ireally miss you