Where u hail from makes a difference?

raj5000 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Generally whenever we meet an individuals, basic questions afte name intoduction is where are you from?

Well does it really matter? Can you make assumptions / mind set on person's individuality/personality based on which region/part/county/country he/she hails from?

Example - No offense please, like Delhites use "APP" addressing people, not necessarily they respect you but its out of habit, on the contrary a Bombaite will say "Tu" not necessarily he/she disrespects you. More examples follow based on responses😊 

Another burning(πŸ˜†) question - Why people are biased based on region/country etc.?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Mashail thumbnail
i think it matters.... to ask where someone is from? bcos then ppl make connections with those ppl upon those facts..... just like ppl make connections with other ppl by the way they dress, their attitude, their style, the music they listen to....etc.. etc...

just like those examples... where a person is from is a part of the person's identity... so ppl make connections through tht fact as well....

ppl are biased bcos thts wht they grew up hearing... and bcos ppl have this preconcieved notion tht ppl from certain areas are a certain way, and they act a certain way.... so ppl treat each other according to tht info...

i dont think ppl shud be offended bcos someone asks them where they are from.... everyone shud be proud of it... and shud say it proudly... bcos after all it is a part of u!
raj5000 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Mashail

i think it matters.... to ask where someone is from? bcos then ppl make connections with those ppl upon those facts..... just like ppl make connections with other ppl by the way they dress, their attitude, their style, the music they listen to....etc.. etc...

just like those examples... where a person is from is a part of the person's identity... so ppl make connections through tht fact as well....

ppl are biased bcos thts wht they grew up hearing... and bcos ppl have this preconcieved notion tht ppl from certain areas are a certain way, and they act a certain way.... so ppl treat each other according to tht info...

i dont think ppl shud be offended bcos someone asks them where they are from.... everyone shud be proud of it... and shud say it proudly... bcos after all it is a part of u!

@bold - πŸ‘ , liked your overall response Mashail.Thanks!

lighthouse thumbnail

Originally posted by: raj5000

Generally whenever we meet an individuals, basic questions afte name intoduction is where are you from? Getting to know about you a little more. πŸ˜›

Well does it really matter? Yes Initially it does.

Can you make assumptions / mind set on person's individuality/personality based on which region/part/county/country he/she hails from? Yes . In the absence of any personal information and experience about the individual, it helps us connect based on assumptions we have about each other.

Example - No offense please, like Delhites use "APP" addressing people, not necessarily they respect you but its out of habit, on the contrary a Bombaite will say "Tu" not necessarily he/she disrespects you. More examples follow based on responses😊 

Another burning(πŸ˜†) question - Why people are biased based on region/country etc.? There is no bias, it is self defense and understanding mechanism- just applying the knowledge to move ahead in forging a good relationship.

I am not biased but I don't like people refering to someone as 'Tu' at the first meeting. I prefer 'Aap'. Even 'tum' is better choice. 'tu' is good between close friends, relatives etc.
raj5000 thumbnail
mermaid_QT thumbnail
yepp.. it matters where one hails from. their behaviour many a times eflects where ppl are from. their culture, their rituals (good and bad), customs, communicaton skills, education, sexual apartheid πŸ˜› appear to make them who they are.
(i am speaking of majority and not denying exceptions here)

one should ideally not be biassed (although is really hard at times, i admit)

Tu is a bit derogatory the way I look at it. I never address someone with a TU unless I am incredibly comfortable with them.
raj5000 thumbnail

Originally posted by: mermaid_QT

yepp.. it matters where one hails from. their behaviour many a times eflects where ppl are from. their culture, their rituals (good and bad), customs, communicaton skills, education, sexual apartheid πŸ˜› appear to make them who they are.
(i am speaking of majority and not denying exceptions here)

one should ideally not be biassed (although is really hard at times, i admit)

Tu is a bit derogatory the way I look at it. I never address someone with a TU unless I am incredibly comfortable with them.

At bold, hear yaa😳

Oh "tu" was with reference with Mumbaiya language, was surprised to hear people addressing with "tu" initially but thats the Munna Bhai language eveyone loves... I asure fo strangers it's always app but for friends πŸ˜‰ orelse friends ask tabiyet kharab hai kyaπŸ˜† BTW it won't sound good to say "App kaisa hai rey" "Ayee Apun key saath app bhankass nahi karneka" "App aati kyaa kandala" πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜† just for fun eg. no offense intended. (man these disclaimers, am so concerned these days, kiss ko kya offensive lagey, unlike me lolsssss)

Morning_Dew thumbnail
Knowing some one's origin helps in initial interaction .. though exceptions are everywhere but it gives a kind of picture what and how we extend out conversation for eg people from europe tend to know about world other than their own country .. so you can expect wide range of topics during conversation .. with American people you have limited choices . 

we have a strong sense of belonging towards our own country , culture and religion and we adopt the general thoughts of society about other's which might have generated due to past good or bad experiences with other culture , people or religion. This strong sense of belonging towards our own people make us biased towards others
Edited by Morning_Dew - 16 years ago
mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: raj5000

"AAP aati kyaa kandala"

Arre Kya HUM Boloooo?? 😳🀣

just kidding..  got it @ mumbaiyya lingo

πŸ₯Ί.. i really dislike it and it derogates my city i feel 😭😭..

okay, to cut out my mumbai-love spam πŸ˜‰, let me say something related to the topic😎.
Accent gives away where one hails from! 
Sundy Mondy cracks me up!  Ofcourse you can tell where the southeners hail from and the same holds good for upper mid-west.  i love the Fargo- accent 😊 & Scottish accent.