sanober. thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 16 years ago

Rakhi is about a brother-sister relationship, right?
Yeah. The story revolves around three siblings. I play the elder brother Bhai Raja, who has brought up his younger brother and sister (Nupur) like his own children. The problem begins when the younger brother starts feeling that Raja is much too partial towards Nupur.

What tempted you to take on the role?
Simple.. because the show revolves around me. Most men on television end up playing second fiddle to women.

Do you really think the sibling concept will work?
Yes. No other show has tried to examine this beautiful relationship in such depth. Indian audiences need themes which they can easily identify with. A bhai bahen ki kahani is bound to work. "No other show has tried to examine this beautiful relationship (between siblings) in such depth. Indian audiences need themes which they can easily identify with."

Will Bhai Raja have a love angle?
Yes, I have a romantic track with Monalika but that will come in later.

Your last two shows, Jeete Hain Jiske Liye and Kashish, bombed..
True, but I don't regret doing either. They were both very well written and made. These shows did have a fan following but unfortunately, that didn't trans late to high TRPs.

What do you think of the reality genre?
I think it's arrived big time. You can love it or hate it, but you can't ignore it. Take Big Boss for instance.. it gave its contestants immense popularity .

You did your first soap, Muskan, nearly seven years ago but still haven't managed to make it to the big league.
It just so happens that the shows I like don't vibe well with the viewers. Sahara's adaptation of Sahib Bibi aur Ghulam is another example. But I can't help that. I can't just work for money. The actor in me needs creative satisfaction as well. "It just so happens that the shows I like don't vibe well with the viewers. Sahara's adaptation of Sahib Bibi aur Ghulam is another example."

Anything you'd want to change about TV?
The complete subjugation to TRPs.. they're overrated. Instead of allowing a show to grow on the viewer, channel bosses bring in jarring changes without an explanation.

Don't you think Rakhi might be forced to do that, sooner or later?
The show's team is trying to be different. I hope it doesn't ever become a victim to telly politics.

You've done both TV and cinema.. what's better?
The medium is secondary to me. If you take Dil Chahta Hai and Mrityudand.. they were pathbreakers on the big screen. It's a great feeling to have been part of such projects.

http://hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?id=0b9c30 b6-6e48-4f2d-9919-6dd05b7a7a29&&Headline=%e2%80%98No +TV+politics%2c+please'

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mellisai thumbnail
thanks for sharing the interview!
~LiNa~ thumbnail
thanks! 👏

He's right though...a bhai bhen ki kahani is definitely something the audience needs for a change n some time away from the everyday saas bahu serials! 😆
Tomiko thumbnail

Thankies!

Have to agree about the TRP's....Shows that strive to be different are rejected because they don't recieve as much as Saas-bahu shows!