Versatile singer or one genre singer?

mittijalebi thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

I was just watching the whole debate the judges had regarding mauli's performance and whether this competition is about finding a versatile singer or a good singer who is not necessarily versatile.

what do you guys think?  what should the goal of SRGMP be....to find a singer who is overall a good singer or a singer who is an excellent singer in one genre of songs?

and i request please no bashing of any singers.  we are all mature adults here so please respond as such.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

saan1997 thumbnail
All the musical shows of todays,claiming that they are looking for the best playback singer of the india or may be universe!Since last two or three years they are trying to do that but what they have achieved?Nothing.Old srgm never used to claim anything.All the participants used to go for old classics or semi classical songs.Look at the result!Top singers of todays are from old srgm.At least allow all the contestant to sing all type of songs!And what about us?We want to hear good songs from them whether its new or old!There are so many viewers who don't follow new songs.So,in my opinion participants should be asked to sing old and all type of songs.Mauli should try 'bole re papihara' and amanat,musarrat should be asked to sing'ye jawaani hai diwaani'. 😉
mittijalebi thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
😆 so i guess ppl are more interested in bashing singers than actually have a decent discussion.
singer.sa thumbnail
THE SHOW IS ABOUT SINGING THEN VERSATILITY DEFINITELY MATTERS.
sareg thumbnail
I think contestants should be made to sing all genres of songs and then judges can decide

If a singer is good in one genre, and ok in another genre's
If a singer is good in two genres and ok in another genre's
If a singer is good in one genre and horrible in another genre
and so on and so forth

then the MD's viewers should decide, is the singer who is good in one genre so good in that genre, such that he/she is better than others just good in multiple genre's

But as a default all singers should be made to sing songs in other Genre's, no matter how bad they are

Suppose here Mauli, she is good in one genre(not only one song but songs of that type, and she has proven that, I think 3 times), however she is outright a bathroom singer in other genre's, but she has attempted them(for some she is making a fool of herself, but you have to applaud, she is trying or Bappida is making her try)

Amanat is excellent in his genre, and he has pretty much stuck to that genre(I think he has gone out of his genre couple of times, they have not been very bad, but also not as great), so he might be good in other genre's, he maynot, but fairly/unfairly he has scored over Mauli

Now if Mauli would have only sung item songs all along would she have generated so much of dislike?

In earlier SRGMP they used to force contestants to choose within a genre only
one round - classical
one round - non-filmy

but I think the mentors are messing around with stuff, that is causing this imbalance

Himesh has a point these singers have to eventually create a bread and butter genre first and then branch out, but cant he figure that out for a singer in two songs in a genre? why does he have to force it for more than two rounds?

For the fan(atics) who didnt understand yet. The intent of using Mauli and Amanat as examples is to talk about how genre's affect the viewers, I am not comparing Mauli and Amanat's singing quality or talent
buttercup thumbnail
if no versatility how do they become a playback singer and sing for various artists/characters..
MalahFirangi thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Guy should know basic knowledge of music, ipod singer will not serve the cause of telen hunt.If some one know about clasic than he can do lot of things others can do for time being good but long run they will expoile music.
Corrupted thumbnail
If its about Mauli then lets be honest that her range is limited and she's not a versatile singer. I'm sure everyone remembers what happened with Mussarat when Asha ji forced him to sing another song from a different genre and he sang "Gulabi Ankhein" which was good. Now coming back to Mauli, Her Guru had made her Shakira of India on what basis? Just because of "Maiya Maiya" ?? She cant even sing "Taal se Taal Mila" !!!
ginak thumbnail
Versatile singer I guess. One should sing different genre songs to be able to leave a mark and gain respect as a playback singer is what I personally feel. There are singers who stick to one genre and become very popular and successful but versatility would be the hallmark of a great singer.
simplyskud thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
If I take an analogy with sports, versatility would mean a cricketer who performs well at home or in away series ... a tennis player who plays well on all surfaces .... a golf player who makes a habit of winning on all kinds of courses ...

Isn't that what separates the grain from the chaff ?? So even in the case of singing, a better singer would definitely be a more versatile singer than a one-genre singer ...

😉 😉 😉